Page 8 of 61 6 7 8 9 10 18 58

Your Recruiting Thoughts & Rants

Agree to disagree.

Originally Posted by nlight1 View Post
    Agree to disagree.
    You disagree about what?

This sounds promising for today:

Josh McCuistion @JLMcCuistion
    I do indeed and perhaps a surprise in there... RT @perryj74: Do you expect that different story to include good news for the #Sooners?
    The following users like this post: oudidntknow84

Quincy Russell to OU!

Can't blame any TE for not coming here. Josh needs to incorporate it more next year.

And fiar Kittle.

i think josh would use the te a lot more if we had talent there. mcnamara was playing early until he got hurt, and looks like he is going to be a good one he just needs to put on weight. the injury was a blessing in disguise because he didn't burn a year of eligibility. who knows how harlow would have turned out but he wasn't ready to contribute immediately either. and green is a good blocker and plays his ass off, but in fairness to him, he wouldn't even be here if 2 guys hadn't have left/been kicked off the team, not to mention hanna going to the cowboys that same year.
    that being said, in almost 2 full years kittle has done less than average in the recruiting department. I still say mike had more to do with mcnamara coming here than kittle did. ou will obviously get some olineman before all is said and done, but it looks like all that is left out there is project guys. i wonder how long it will take for bob to do something.

Oklahoma Football ‏@OU_Football
    #Sooners add a pair of JUCO transfers - P Jed Barnett & DT Quincy Russell. http://tinyurl.com/yf9soqt

OU is up to 18 now right?

Don't look now, but OU is up to #15 according to Rivals with the two commits today. Plus, this class still has a lot of potential as well. Keep closing strong and we could move closer to the top 10.

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    I'm including the most recent commit today & the DB Shepard... Does Tee Shepard not count? If so why not?

Originally Posted by 55-17beatdown2011 View Post
    Don't look now, but OU is up to #15 according to Rivals with the two commits today. Plus, this class still has a lot of potential as well. Keep closing strong and we could move closer to the top 10.
    Well, with the third commit OU has jumped to #10.

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike
    Hearing #Sooners and #oregon are biggest threats to #OhioState for Mike Mitchell but #buckeyes feel good

Could we ban the mouth breathers who start recruiting threads on OF? Even if it's just for like 15 minutes?

Not surprised we were low, with the small numbers we had.

As I said before, this will be an excellent class on NSD and we will be at least top 15, which is excellent, the way our coaches develop players. We have some excellent prospects who are under-rated by the services. For example, there is no way that Matt Dimon is a 3-star player, no way, no how.

Would getting Treadwell and Baker put us in the top 5?

There's a chance, but I'd guess probably just outside it.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Would getting Treadwell and Baker put us in the top 5?
    I doubt it. There is a pretty big gap between Georgia at #9 and OU at #10. Meanwhile #10 thru #18 (or even higher) is pretty muddled. To put this quantitatively, the gap between us and Georgia is 433 'points' according to Rivals. Subtracting that many points from OU's total of 1,802 yields 1,369 points, which is between #34 Penn State and #35 Northwestern. This is how we were able to jump up so far with the 5 commits in December.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/foo...k/2013/all/all

I doubt it. There is a pretty big gap between Georgia at #9 and OU at #10. Meanwhile #10 thru #18 (or even higher) is pretty muddled. To put this quantitatively, the gap between us and Georgia is 433 'points' according to Rivals. Subtracting that many points from OU's total of 1,802 yields 1,369 points, which is between #34 Penn State and #35 Northwestern. This is how we were able to jump up so far with the 5 commits in December.

What an ****, Debbie Downer.
    The following users like this post: greensooner

This is all splitting hairs. A top 15 class if good enough, given that our coaches develop players "in a great way."

They are also very good at finding players who are under-valued by the services.

Our coaches are better than all the services at player evaluation. Much better.

This is an excellent class already and has a chance to get even better.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

i think this is a good class so far and with maybe 6-7 schollies remaining definite have top ten potential at end of year (because other schools like tx, etc. will also move up on them signing more kids).

Treadwell, Baker and long shot Mike Mitchell would be top 5. We closed hard last year at the final hour and hopefully do the same this year.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/12/20...medium=twitter

Posted by Jason Kersey
    on December 20, 2012M at 6:30 pm

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops praised junior-college defensive tackle signee Quincy Russell on Thursday. PHOTO BY BRYAN TERRY, THE OKLAHOMAN

NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, speaking to reporters after practice Thursday, called junior-college defensive tackle signee Quincy Russell a “huge difference maker.”
    2 users like OU48A's post: drspencer, Sooner 76

I think of these undervalued guys, lower rated guys - holy **** with our great coaching, dedication, etc. that we profess to have, if we ever signed a class like USC does we'd beat the dogshit out of everyone, every year. Wish we'd add a few more top guys in the mix.

USC's class vs. our class in a scrimmage, flag football game, cage fight, boxing match, whatever, they would beat us.

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    I think of these undervalued guys, lower rated guys - holy **** with our great coaching, dedication, etc. that we profess to have, if we ever signed a class like USC does we'd beat the dogshit out of everyone, every year. Wish we'd add a few more top guys in the mix.

USC's class vs. our class in a scrimmage, flag football game, cage fight, boxing match, whatever, they would beat us.
    Go root for USC... We are who we are. We aren't USC and won't get the 5 stars like them, but it sure seems like we are in a better situation them this year. And our class is coming to form nicely, we need defensive playmakers, and if we find a couple in this class... Ward dimon obu Russell, them it is a good class.
    3 users like Soonerfanpa1's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, oorah_okie, Tundra

Georgia has 30 verbals.. THIRTY. You can't take the gap between us and them, subtract that amount and say we'd be at #34.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    Georgia has 30 verbals.. THIRTY. You can't take the gap between us and them, subtract that amount and say we'd be at #34.
    I can and I did. I'm sorry if 1st grade math upsets you.

In practically one week, we moved up from the mid-30s to the tenth spot with verbals from four 3-stars and one 4-star (and even losing one 3-star along the way). That only happens because there wasn't much difference between where we were to where we are now.

I answered the question that was asked of me. Baker and Treadwell would not put us in the top 5. Still doesn't change the fact that this class is good and we have many underrated players (like Dimon). Last year we got nine verbals after Christmas, and I think we finish strong again. I bet we'll end #10-15 in the Rivals rankings.

Its dead period ( no contact initiated by coaches, players can still call coaches though) till Jan 3rd. Expect more offers to go out that first week of January. We already have two visitors for Jan 11 in Walker and Finnin. I expect that'll be a big recruiting weekend in the scheme of things

I can and I did. I'm sorry if 1st grade math upsets you.

In practically one week, we moved up from the mid-30s to the tenth spot with verbals from four 3-stars and one 4-star (and even losing one 3-star along the way). That only happens because there wasn't much difference between where we were to where we are now.

I answered the question that was asked of me. Baker and Treadwell would not put us in the top 5. Still doesn't change the fact that this class is good and we have many underrated players (like Dimon). Last year we got nine verbals after Christmas, and I think we finish strong again. I bet we'll end #10-15 in the Rivals rankings.
    Don't blame the messenger, guys. His analysis is spot on. Rivals scores based part on quantity and part on quality. For those who point out that Georgia has 30 recruits, thus their high score, my retort is Ohio State. They have 19 commits, and they sit in the 8th spot.

Originally Posted by Soonerfanpa1 View Post
    Go root for USC... We are who we are. We aren't USC and won't get the 5 stars like them, but it sure seems like we are in a better situation them this year. And our class is coming to form nicely, we need defensive playmakers, and if we find a couple in this class... Ward dimon obu Russell, them it is a good class.
    Seems to be. Hopefully we finish better and grab a couple of the elite this year, rather than tailing off as we have done quite a bit lately, missing out on an Edwards, Jeffcoat, Randle, Miller, Doucet, Manning, Fuller, DGB, etc.

The reference to USC was for making a point - Their class is better than ours, and that if we would get just one or two more superstars, we might get #8. I believe that it would have taken us only a couple of more players to actually beat an LSU or Florida.

Seems to be. Hopefully we finish better and grab a couple of the elite this year, rather than tailing off as we have done quite a bit lately, missing out on an Edwards, Jeffcoat, Randle, Miller, Doucet, Manning, Fuller, DGB, etc.

The reference to USC was for making a point - Their class is better than ours, and that if we would get just one or two more superstars, we might get #8. I believe that it would have taken us only a couple of more players to actually beat an LSU or Florida.

How many crystal footballs does USC have? Answer: NONE!

Against LSU, we lost the battle of the LOS on both sides of the ball, but especially their DL overpowered our OL, except that they wore down by the 4th Q and we finally moved the ball on them. 150 yards of total offense in that game. You can almost never win a game with that pathetic total.

Having DeMarco out hurt us against Florida. Still, we would have won the game had Wilson called play action on short yardage a couple of times. Florida was selling out for the TB run to the left side and that idiot Wilson called that play EVERY time!!!

Very encouraged by the latest commits. Think our ranking is still up in the air. Strong finish will push OU a couple of notches higher, but we are sort of on a bubble between going up 2 or 3 or sliding down 4 or 5 or staying put depending on how everyone in vicinity ranking-wise does does down the stretch. Hopefully OU's momentum will continue and the coaches will nab some more strong recruits.

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post

Against LSU, we lost the battle of the LOS on both sides of the ball, but especially their DL overpowered our OL, except that they wore down by the 4th Q and we finally moved the ball on them. 150 yards of total offense in that game. You can almost never win a game with that pathetic total.

Having DeMarco out hurt us against Florida. Still, we would have won the game had Wilson called play action on short yardage a couple of times. Florida was selling out for the TB run to the left side and that idiot Wilson called that play EVERY time!!!
    Interesting. So you're saying that we really don't need to finish on some of the top guys? Maybe we couldn't have used them? Or, recruiting is fine just like it is? Or that we've lost some games because of coaching and that our talent is on-par with our opponent? While you're on the line, tell me why we lost, in your opinion, to ND and KSU this year, I'd like to hear your viewpoint.

We absolutely need to close strong. This coaching staff usually does well in recruiting this time of year. I think we'll end up with a strong class. As always, we should wait until NSD before we complain about the ones that got away, cuz it's not over yet. There's some big fish that we're still chasing and we'll have to wait and see what happens. Then, after NSD, it's another 4-5 yrs finding out how good the class really is.

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    Oh...if only that were true.

I don't really like USC but National Championships : '04 may have that one taken away?
    Co #1 '03, '78, '74(with OU who were on probation)
    72, '67, '62
    Giving the devil it's due

Well, now that you mention it, I think his point must have been the semantics of their 2004 title being stripped.
    But we all know the reality of what happened. They didn't give that crystal football to anyone else.

Interesting. So you're saying that we really don't need to finish on some of the top guys? Maybe we couldn't have used them? Or, recruiting is fine just like it is? Or that we've lost some games because of coaching and that our talent is on-par with our opponent? While you're on the line, tell me why we lost, in your opinion, to ND and KSU this year, I'd like to hear your viewpoint.
    OK, whiny, I'll bite.

Having a team loaded with 5-star players didn't cause USC to win mutiple NCs, or have multiple unbeaten seasons did it?

I'm saying that the stars awarded by the recruiting services are not everything. Our coaches are much better evaluators than ANY of the services.

Perfect case in point: OU's left tackle, one Lane Johnson, wasn't really wanted by much of anyone coming out of HS or JUCO. OU took him, moved him around and he ended up at LT. In the RRR this year, he went against 5-star no. 1-rated DE Jeffcoat. What happened? Lane beat him up, took his lunch money, and injured him for the season.

Yes, we don't get everyone we offer. Not everyone wants to be coached hard. Not everyone wants to come to Norman. That will always be so. I don't lose any sleep over it.

Why did we lose 2 games this year? We lost to a very good K-State team that is well coached and played a perfect game. You have to get ahead of them and force them to throw more. We lost the turnover battle, 0-3, and we left the D on the field too much.

Notre Dame, very similar type team, strong on D, controls the ball on O. Just substitute crooked refs for the 3 turnovers. With honest refs, we stand a VERY good chance of winning that game.

We lost to two very good teams, and we could have won both games. The sky is NOT falling, no matter what the pseudo-fans are saying.

Only ND and Ohio State are unbeaten this year, and ND should be 9-3, but their refs bailed them out against Stanford, OU, and Pitt.

[QUOTE=sooner76

Having a team loaded with 5-star players didn't cause USC to win mutiple NCs, or have multiple unbeaten seasons did it?

I'm saying that the stars awarded by the recruiting services are not everything. Our coaches are much better evaluators than ANY of the services.

Perfect case in point: OU's left tackle, one Lane Johnson, wasn't really wanted by much of anyone coming out of HS or JUCO. OU took him, moved him around and he ended up at LT. In the RRR this year, he went against 5-star no. 1-rated DE Jeffcoat. What happened? Lane beat him up, took his lunch money, and injured him for the season.

Yes, we don't get everyone we offer. Not everyone wants to be coached hard. Not everyone wants to come to Norman. That will always be so. I don't lose any sleep over it.

Why did we lose 2 games this year? We lost to a very good K-State team that is well coached and played a perfect game. You have to get ahead of them and force them to throw more. We lost the turnover battle, 0-3, and we left the D on the field too much.

Notre Dame, very similar type team, strong on D, controls the ball on O. Just substitute crooked refs for the 3 turnovers. With honest refs, we stand a VERY good chance of winning that game.

We lost to two very good teams, and we could have won both games. The sky is NOT falling, no matter what the pseudo-fans are saying.

Only ND and Ohio State are unbeaten this year, and ND should be 9-3, but their refs bailed them out against Stanford, OU, and Pitt.[/QUOTE]

Very well said '76. It amazes me how some people get upset with how some kids are star rated.

not sure why everyone hates on the recruiting services. when i worked at OU sports info department while going to school, OU always spent money on a lot of these services. I'm sure they still do today.

for the 2014 class, we already have over 50 offers out for kids that are all 5 or top 4 star recruits. and "oddly enough" not ONE offer out to any 2 0r 3 star recruits. do the math on that. and i can guarantee you that not all these kids have been through the evaluation regiment that OU usually puts there kids through. most of these top kids are labeled "can't miss" from people in the know and coaches have trusted them enough to offer schollies.

it's a lot easier to "pull" offer than to start late in the recruiting process for these young talent (lesson learned with Manning).
    The following users like this post: SECsooner

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Its dead period ( no contact initiated by coaches, players can still call coaches though) till Jan 3rd. Expect more offers to go out that first week of January. We already have two visitors for Jan 11 in Walker and Finnin. I expect that'll be a big recruiting weekend in the scheme of things
    Other 2013 guys visiting on 1/11/13 per espn: L.J. Moore & Christian Daimler

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    not sure why everyone hates on the recruiting services. when i worked at OU sports info department while going to school, OU always spent money on a lot of these services. I'm sure they still do today.

for the 2014 class, we already have over 50 offers out for kids that are all 5 or top 4 star recruits. and "oddly enough" not ONE offer out to any 2 0r 3 star recruits. do the math on that. and i can guarantee you that not all these kids have been through the evaluation regiment that OU usually puts there kids through. most of these top kids are labeled "can't miss" from people in the know and coaches have trusted them enough to offer schollies.

it's a lot easier to "pull" offer than to start late in the recruiting process for these young talent (lesson learned with Manning).
    DSS, I'm not hating on the recruiting services, just saying that they aren't everything. They don't measure a player's heart, willingness to work hard and be coached in college.

Similarly, the NFL draft isn't everything, even with an additional 3-4 years of player development.

In both cases, you are trying to project success at the next level, against much harder competition.

I just hope he hates pot and parties. Hopefully we get him. Definitely would be a good get.

smoking weed? Are you joking? This kid came from a village where "nobody had that type of opportunity"! can you imagine the pressure to do good & not mess things up?

smh @ stiff armpit

Originally Posted by txbbcoach4OU View Post
    smoking weed? Are you joking? This kid came from a village where "nobody had that type of opportunity"! can you imagine the pressure to do good & not mess things up?

smh @ stiff armpit
    open your eyes coach ... might not be weed but drugs are everywhere. doesn't mater if your in third world country or usa, village or penthouse in ny; looks like a good kid though and hope we get him.
    The following users like this post: StiffArmTrophy

Originally Posted by txbbcoach4OU View Post

smh @ stiff armpit
    Yeah when I was in college there were several Africans I knew and they toked more than most of the other stoners I knew. It was really just a joke. Don't like it suck it douche.

So does the offer to KJ Young mean that we're out of it with Laquon Treadwell?

That's one way to read it.
    Or Norvell has found a major steal/keeper.
    The following users like this post: drspencer

To me its both. He knows Treadwells mom loves Ole Miss. and he has a eye and a nose for talent