Your Recruiting Thoughts & Rants

Posted 567 day(s) ago by usaosooner219484 Views 3016 Replies
Page 9 of 61 7 8 9 10 11 19 59
    Is Norvelle recruiting KJ? Seems like cali is Mikes recruiting area and I wouldn't put it past him to switch him to cb. He has good size. His receiving skills are top notch though so I completely see him as a wr just not putting it past Mike to get an athlete on his side

According to rivals he is being recruited by Kish and he's a two way star.

Young could easily play CB as well as slot.

vCash

Might be a new name pop at TE soon all i can say at the moment

vCash

Sweet

Anyone have a list of visitors for Junior Day?

vCash

When is Jr Day, btw?

Having an early one this year sometime in Jan.

vCash

interesting from rivals:

Manning admitted at the time of his commitment to the Aggies earlier this month that he would still listen if Jackie Shipp were to stay in contact. However, it doesn't sound as though things right now are set up for the Sooners to make a run but it is something worth monitoring this week.

However, it's not just commitments that are of interest to Oklahoma fans as current uncommitted California prospects Aaron Cochran and L.J. Moore. Cochran, the massive offensive tackle from Atwater Buhach, has formed a special bond with offensive tackles coach Bruce Kittle and enjoyed his Nov. 9 official visit.
    The following users like this post: nolesooner

Would we take Manning now, after things have went with him? Are both sides still on pretty good terms?

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    interesting from rivals:

Manning admitted at the time of his commitment to the Aggies earlier this month that he would still listen if Jackie Shipp were to stay in contact. However, it doesn't sound as though things right now are set up for the Sooners to make a run but it is something worth monitoring this week.

However, it's not just commitments that are of interest to Oklahoma fans as current uncommitted California prospects Aaron Cochran and L.J. Moore. Cochran, the massive offensive tackle from Atwater Buhach, has formed a special bond with offensive tackles coach Bruce Kittle and enjoyed his Nov. 9 official visit.
    I think we still have a shot with Manning, as his relationship with Shipp is strong. My interpretation of what happened is that he was way more angry at not being offered early as his opinion of himself is out or proportion with reality. He really played OU at the end, and perhaps earlier, just no way of knowing how long he played OU--perhaps for months or just the last week or three.

Cochran and Moore would be huge gets. I still think we close strong, but perhaps lose someone as well (no reason for saying this, other than it usually happens).

If you read Manning's twitter page he sounds all-in with the Aggies. I would be shocked if he changes at this point.

vCash

Manning needs to stay an aggie. They deserve each other. Dont want a kid who thinks he's bigger than the program. We have had enough of those lately. We need kids who want to be here and love Oklahoma.
    5 users like CNCSOONER's post: kbsooner, OU48A, soonerUthenMe, Stoops'Visor, thurman murman

vCash

After watching USC yesterday OU needs to call the linemen committed to USC.
    USC is a train wreck in progress!
    4 users like OU48A's post: andymancan20, nolesooner, oorah_okie, OU812

Amen. We need kids that absolutely want to be here. If they are 2 or 3 star.
    Look at the 2000 team and all those Oklahoma kids. Heinecke and Co. Even Calmus, really. Those guys were playing for the SOONERS rather than their NFL prospects.

We need kids that are playing as much for OU as they are playing for themselves.
    I'll take a kid that only had one other bigtime offer - and it was from Boise or someone. Hell yeah I will. Chances are, he'll be thanking his lucky stars to be where he is. Rather than yet another coddled and entitled baby.

And in addition to those types of kids, local or otherwise...we need some super talented studs. That is a given.
    3 users like Hamilton's post: joshl, OU48A, thurman murman

vCash

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    Amen. We need kids that absolutely want to be here. If they are 2 or 3 star.
    Look at the 2000 team and all those Oklahoma kids. Heinecke and Co. Even Calmus, really. Those guys were playing for the SOONERS rather than their NFL prospects.

We need kids that are playing as much for OU as they are playing for themselves.
    I'll take a kid that only had one other bigtime offer - and it was from Boise or someone. Hell yeah I will. Chances are, he'll be thanking his lucky stars to be where he is. Rather than yet another coddled and entitled baby.

And in addition to those types of kids, local or otherwise...we need some super talented studs. That is a given.
    in the business world, that type of thinking is just like giving up. why not get the 4 or 5 star kid that "absolutely wants to be here". If there aren't any, then you investigate as to why and fix that problem? Continually recruiting kids that have ONE offer like boise will turn you into a boise. yes get lucky on some of those under rated overachievers, but counting on luck to get to a national champions will be tough.

as far as top talent attitude ... well top talent coaches should be molder of men. that's their job.
    3 users like DirtySouth_Sooner's post: Big Red One, lobster999, SECsooner

"If there aren't any, then you investigate as to why and fix that problem"

And what if you have already tried and nothing is helping to fix the larger problem?
    Do you keep bashing your head against the wall just to say you did?

My point was that I had already accepted that objective truth.
    In the business world, you better be dealing with the real world first and foremost.

And if you can't make the proper changes, then you roll with the situation you're stuck in and try to improve it from there.

Of course you try to get as many 4-5 star studs as you can get, regardless.
    But the point is, you'll always have 10-15 (or more in some years) slots for guys that have little chance of being all-conference much less playing in the NFL. So if you're stuck with a certain level of 'average-type' talent - I would want it to be players that have a TON of pride in being a Sooner.
    Not players that are upset that they aren't getting their due or whatever.

You don't have as many depth issues when guys simply want to be here and feel fortunate to be here.
    You have depth issues (among other things) when egos are bruised.

vCash

in the business world, that type of thinking is just like giving up. why not get the 4 or 5 star kid that "absolutely wants to be here". If there aren't any, then you investigate as to why and fix that problem? Continually recruiting kids that have ONE offer like boise will turn you into a boise. yes get lucky on some of those under rated overachievers, but counting on luck to get to a national champions will be tough.

as far as top talent attitude ... well top talent coaches should be molder of men. that's their job.
    A 5 star stud who is a cancer is worse for the program that a 2 star in state player who does everything right and to the best of their ability’s.

OU problem is that there are not nearly enough 4 or 5 star kids that "absolutely wants to be here".

There are real reasons why OU hasn’t won national championships with a roster with less than 49% Oklahomans!
    I suspect it has a lot to do with team chemistry!

vCash

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    A 5 star stud who is a cancer is worse for the program that a 2 star in state player who does everything right and to the best of their ability’s.

OU problem is that there are not nearly enough 4 or 5 star kids that "absolutely wants to be here".

There are real reasons why OU hasn’t won national championships with a roster with less than 49% Oklahomans!
    I suspect it has a lot to do with team chemistry!
    there are just as many if not more 2 stars that are cancers. you take a risk with every kid (not one kid in under armor practice is labeled 'cancer'). so if i'm taking a risk, i'd rather take my changes with a stud.

your second thought lies where the problem is ... we have to FIX the fact that not enough studs want to be here vs settling for second best.

vCash

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    You don't have as many depth issues when guys simply want to be here and feel fortunate to be here.
    You have depth issues (among other things) when egos are bruised.
    you see having a bunch of studs at the same position as possibility of egos bruised. i see it as creating some kick ass competition. USC with carroll in the hay day of cheating, bama right now ... that's all they had was the CULTURE of competition.

lastly you create a culture where EVERY kid feels fortunate to be here whether they are walk-ons or 5 stars. I just do get where you think the 2-3 stars would have more pride than the studs (ask AD if you need validation).

you see having a bunch of studs at the same position as possibility of egos bruised. i see it as creating some kick ass competition. USC with carroll in the hay day of cheating, bama right now ... that's all they had was the CULTURE of competition.

lastly you create a culture where EVERY kid feels fortunate to be here whether they are walk-ons or 5 stars. I just do get where you think the 2-3 stars would have more pride than the studs (ask AD if you need validation).
    And I'll state yet again, with all those 5-star studs, USC has NO, NADA, YILCH crystal footballs in their trophy case. They HAD one and ONE undefeated season, and gave both back for cheating.

So Bob has accomplished as much, even more, than Petey did, at USC with all those stud players.

Right now, the best players seem to want to go to the best conference. Look Texas A&M has recruited since going there. Sure, Sumlin is a great recruiter, but the SEC has something to do with it as well.

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    And I'll state yet again, with all those 5-star studs, USC has NO, NADA, YILCH crystal footballs in their trophy case. They HAD one and ONE undefeated season, and gave both back for cheating.

So Bob has accomplished as much, even more, than Petey did, at USC with all those stud players.

Right now, the best players seem to want to go to the best conference. Look Texas A&M has recruited since going there. Sure, Sumlin is a great recruiter, but the SEC has something to do with it as well.
    correct they cheated (that's why they don't have NC/not because they had 5 star talent) and that's on admin, coaches for letting that environment exist ... if the environment is there for players to cheat ... many kids being kids WILL ... whether they are 2 stars or 5 stars (look at miami last few years). on the field, during those few years at USC, those teams were as good as it gets.

now picture Stoops with that type of talent year in and year out. so again ... under Stoops ... give me those damn 5 stars.

USC is dropping fast in recruiting whats are chances of stealing the LB we was after away from them or does he still have a offer from OU?

correct they cheated (that's why they don't have NC/not because they had 5 star talent) and that's on admin, coaches for letting that environment exist ... if the environment is there for players to cheat ... many kids being kids WILL ... whether they are 2 stars or 5 stars (look at miami last few years). on the field, during those few years at USC, those teams were as good as it gets.

now picture Stoops with that type of talent year in and year out. so again ... under Stoops ... give me those damn 5 stars.
    Even WITHOUT the probation, Pete Carroll, USC, and all those 5-star players had exactly ONE unbeaten season and ONE crystal football--the same as Stoops.

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    Even WITHOUT the probation, Pete Carroll, USC, and all those 5-star players had exactly ONE unbeaten season and ONE crystal football--the same as Stoops.
    exactly ... now settle down and read this ... what if Stoops was able to consistently get those 5 stars year in and year out ... that was the basis of my post.

I was replying to: We need kids that absolutely want to be here. If they are 2 or 3 star. My thought was we can't have a team full of 2/3 stars and i don't care how bad they want to be here.

exactly ... now settle down and read this ... what if Stoops was able to consistently get those 5 stars year in and year out ... that was the basis of my post.

I was replying to: We need kids that absolutely want to be here. If they are 2 or 3 star. My thought was we can't have a team full of 2/3 stars and i don't care how bad they want to be here.
    You do want a mix of both types of players. The key thing is to get players who are coachable.

Here's our Rivals rankings over several years and our 5-star (according to Rivals) recruits (not a huge number). We average about one per year:

2001 - 2nd (#1 DT)
    2002 - 7th (2 5-star JUCO LBers & #2 LBer)
    2003 - 4th
    2004 - 8th (#1 RB & #1 QB)
    2005 - 3rd (#2 LBer & #1 DT)

Since then only McCoy, Mike Reed, RJ Washington, Calhoun, S Good, Metoyer, & Brandon Williams have been 5-star recruits.

3 times, Shipp has brought home the #1 DT (Harris, Granger & McCoy).

vCash

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Might be a new name pop at TE soon all i can say at the moment
    I'm not seeing this anywhere usao. When do you think you can shed some more light on this one?

Thanks.

there are just as many if not more 2 stars that are cancers. you take a risk with every kid (not one kid in under armor practice is labeled 'cancer'). so if i'm taking a risk, i'd rather take my changes with a stud.

your second thought lies where the problem is ... we have to FIX the fact that not enough studs want to be here vs settling for second best.
    Unless we can move a beach or big city within driving distance of Norman, it ain't gonna happen. The draw HAS to be football and that takes a different type of kid. Sure there are a few schools in the midwest that attract a good number of 5* players, but there's USUALLY a tie-in that gets them there. Kids today want the beach or the big city...

vCash

Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
    Unless we can move a beach or big city within driving distance of Norman, it ain't gonna happen. The draw HAS to be football and that takes a different type of kid. Sure there are a few schools in the midwest that attract a good number of 5* players, but there's USUALLY a tie-in that gets them there. Kids today want the beach or the big city...
    Tuscaloosa?
    Baton Rouge?
    South Bend?
    Eugene?
    Gainesville?
    Tallahassee?
    Columbus?
    Ann Arbor?

vCash

Would building a low water dam on the river on the south edge of Norman work?

We have plenty of sand for a beach.

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Tuscaloosa? = beach in 3hrs
    Baton Rouge? = beach/big city in 1+hr
    South Bend? = get catholic 5* and has their own TV deal
    Eugene? = Phil knight /money
    Gainesville? = beach is 2hrs either direction
    Tallahassee? = less than an hour to beach
    Columbus? = getting the same amount of talent as us
    Ann Arbor? = getting the same amount of talent as us
    Own a map? J/k
    The following users like this post: Blacksheep 171

vCash

Re: Your Recruiting Thoughts & Rants

I wouldn't say there's a beach an hour from Baton Rouge. Yes, there's a strip of sand in front of that mudhole called the Mississippi Sound, but you have to go east of Mobile Bay to find a real beach.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

BTW, I guess I should have said kids are looking for a more exciting non-football environment. I love Oklahoma, but there's not a lot of things to do... For a younger person. Great place to raise a family, but that's not what these guys are looking for.

I still say offensive style of play keeps us from getting the high profile offensive and defensive linemen. If you weigh 300 pounds, do you want to play that many snaps per game?

Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    I wouldn't say there's a beach an hour from Baton Rouge. Yes, there's a strip of sand in front of that mudhole called the Mississippi Sound, but you have to go east of Mobile Bay to find a real beach.

The big city is right there. The beach is less than 3 hours.

vCash

Re: Your Recruiting Thoughts & Rants

Agreed. I just like bagging on what Mississippi calls a beach.

Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    Agreed. I just like bagging on what Mississippi calls a beach.

I hear ya.

vCash

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    I'm not seeing this anywhere usao. When do you think you can shed some more light on this one?

Thanks.
    I was told OU has been talking a bit with Jackson Dillion out of Ringling. ESPN confirmed it today. Im not saying he gets a TE offer, just that Kittle has been chatting a lot with him

vCash

I was told OU has been talking a bit with Jackson Dillion out of Ringling. ESPN confirmed it today. Im not saying he gets a TE offer, just that Kittle has been chatting a lot with him
    Oh well shit, there's our next tackle prospect. :-D

USAO I have heard that Caleb Brantley wants to visit OU. He decommitted from UF and Said coaches from Bama, LSU and OU has been calling.

Let's be real, Brantley isn't coming here.

Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Let's be real, Brantley isn't coming here.
    I thought the same about Tony Jefferson and Kenny Stills. But yeah your prob right.

If it was an offensive player, maybe. But we just cannot get the elite defensive players, particularly DTs, out of SEC country.

Jackson Dillon? He HAS to be son of richard Dillon '86 Ringling graduate & former OU LBr... Richard also had a smokin hot sister! LOL

I don't understand the TE recruiting AT ALL. I don't understand what the plan is or what's going on. We've slow played everybody and seemed uninterested in much better players. Now, we're reaching. Not good at all. I would rather use the ship elsewhere than give it to someone who's not OU good.

vCash

Own a map? J/k
    Wow, horrible. Kids don't go to Gainesville because Daytona is 1.5 hours away. Gainesville is a shit hole and Daytona Beach has the charm of a confederate flag. How does Phil Knight/money fall into the "beach or big city" category? Oh, there's an Oregon beach nearby...

I want to make sure that I understand what you're moronically trying to argue (and failing). Kids want to go to big cities (none of the cities I listed are big and some of them are god damn shit holes and small) or a place where they can drive to the ****ing beach, well within 2 hours. That's your argument.

New levels of mental retardation on this board.

vCash

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Wow, horrible. Kids don't go to Gainesville because Daytona is 1.5 hours away. Gainesville is a shit hole and Daytona Beach has the charm of a confederate flag. How does Phil Knight/money fall into the "beach or big city" category? Oh, there's an Oregon beach nearby...

I want to make sure that I understand what you're moronically trying to argue (and failing). Kids want to go to big cities (none of the cities I listed are big and some of them are god damn shit holes and small) or a place where they can drive to the ****ing beach, well within 2 hours. That's your argument.

New levels of mental retardation on this board.
    Gainseville is definitely not a shit hole! It's a nice city! Also, it's pretty close to Orlando or Tampa and you can get to the gulf coast side of the beach with ease. Gainsville would be a VERY nice place to live.

vCash

If destination was the only criteria then USC, UCLA, CAL, Stanford, Northwestern, San Diego SDState, UNLV, Zona, Colorado,Tulane, Georgia Tech, Columbia, Penn, etc would get all the recruits. Maybe OU just has to a better job of presenting and selling themselves to high schoolers and JCs.
    Auburn, AL probably isn't any more exciting than El Reno, OK for instance.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    If destination was the only criteria then USC, UCLA, CAL, Stanford, Northwestern, San Diego SDState, UNLV, Zona, Colorado,Tulane, Georgia Tech, Columbia, Penn, etc would get all the recruits. Maybe OU just has to a better job of presenting and selling themselves to high schoolers and JCs.
    Auburn, AL probably isn't any more exciting than El Reno, OK for instance.
    Why are you picking on El Reno?

vCash

Sorry about El Reno. It just was a name that popped into my mind. I apologize to the the entire city of El Reno.