Your Recruiting Thoughts & Rants

Posted 733 day(s) ago by usaosooner230985 Views 3016 Replies
Page 10 of 61 8 9 10 11 12 20 60
    Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Wow, horrible. Kids don't go to Gainesville because Daytona is 1.5 hours away. Gainesville is a shit hole and Daytona Beach has the charm of a confederate flag. How does Phil Knight/money fall into the "beach or big city" category? Oh, there's an Oregon beach nearby...

I want to make sure that I understand what you're moronically trying to argue (and failing). Kids want to go to big cities (none of the cities I listed are big and some of them are god damn shit holes and small) or a place where they can drive to the ****ing beach, well within 2 hours. That's your argument.

New levels of mental retardation on this board.
    Columbus, Ohio is a big city.

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Wow, horrible. Kids don't go to Gainesville because Daytona is 1.5 hours away. Gainesville is a shit hole and Daytona Beach has the charm of a confederate flag. How does Phil Knight/money fall into the "beach or big city" category? Oh, there's an Oregon beach nearby...

I want to make sure that I understand what you're moronically trying to argue (and failing). Kids want to go to big cities (none of the cities I listed are big and some of them are god damn shit holes and small) or a place where they can drive to the ****ing beach, well within 2 hours. That's your argument.

New levels of mental retardation on this board.
    Now why do you have to go and turn into a 2 year old name-caller?

You make it sound like we're recruiting 40 year old players that are looking to raise a family and that were raised in the lap of luxury. What seems trashy to you, seems really nice to most of these kids. Again, I'm not saying ALL schools fit that criteria, but MOST of the schools that are loading up on 5* recruits have a better cultural experience for a college kid than what most 18 year olds are looking for. There's the occasional exception, but it's not the norm.

Not sure why you got all worked up.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    you see having a bunch of studs at the same position as possibility of egos bruised. i see it as creating some kick ass competition. USC with carroll in the hay day of cheating, bama right now ... that's all they had was the CULTURE of competition.

lastly you create a culture where EVERY kid feels fortunate to be here whether they are walk-ons or 5 stars. I just do get where you think the 2-3 stars would have more pride than the studs (ask AD if you need validation).
    No no no...you keep phrasing this as if I don't want "bunch of studs" at the same position. Completely ridiculous. This is the last I'll say about it.

What you aren't understanding about my previous points is that we AREN'T GETTING a "bunch of studs" at the same position. That's the objective truth. And we aren't going to in the immediate future. It isn't happening now.

So...what do we do from here? Continue to live in fantasyland?

I'm not saying a bunch of 2-3 stars would always have more pride than the mythical bevy of studs you keep talking about, I am saying if you have to take a 3-star level guy, I'd prefer it be a kid that absolutely wants to be here. And if it's an Oklahoma kid, or certain Texas kids, then maybe they grew up Sooner fans and would give 100% even if they were low on the depth chart.

Or if they are kids that are overlooked and the only offer they have is 'Boise-level' or whatever. I think it's a good strategy. There isn't that much difference in overall talent level between Oklahoma and the rest of the Big 12 not named Kansas and ISU. Maybe that's where we would disagree most?

The days of landing Tommie Harris and AD are pretty much over.
    If not, show me where we've matched that kind of recruiting 'get' recently?
    I'm not saying we haven't signed great players. We have. But the idea that we are going toe to toe for a bunch of studs, much less being able to land them is fantasy. We've got ONE guy playing in either of the 2 big HS All-American games. We are struggling to go out and commit OT and DL...and the guys we are in on are 3 star, 4 star. And that's fine, I'm not complaining - it is what it is.

All I'm saying is let's stop pretending that we can get a "bunch of studs" at the same position and let's get the most 4-5 stars we can get (which might be 10 at the most) and with the remaining 15 or so, let's get the best and most loyal '3-star' talent we can get. I don't think I'm being unreasonable. And honestly, I am not trying to be a chicken little/'sky is falling' type of fan. I think we'll be fine. But we are getting whipped in bigtime recruiting and it shows both on signing day and on the field. A Sooner squad with a bunch of studs doesn't lose to a Tech team that didn't even go bowling - in Norman.

We were a few whiskers away from 7-5 this year, honestly. Hey, credit due where it is due, we went 10-2 and are in a good bowl game with a chance to win...once again, I am not saying the sky is falling. But we have to deal with the reality. Part of that reality is continued recruiting misses and depth issues. And as long as that keeps happening we'll be struggling to beat Baylor and TCU and OSU and West Virginia and Texas Tech, much less UT and KSU.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Sorry about El Reno. It just was a name that popped into my mind. I apologize to the the entire city of El Reno.
    You should also apologize to fried onion burgers and coneys. ;-)

And as long as that keeps happening we'll be struggling to beat Baylor and TCU and OSU and West Virginia and Texas Tech, much less UT and KSU.
    What is it exactly that you propose we do about it?

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    The days of landing Tommie Harris and AD are pretty much over.

We were a few whiskers away from 7-5 this year, honestly. Hey, credit due where it is due, we went 10-2 and are in a good bowl game with a chance to win...once again, I am not saying the sky is falling. But we have to deal with the reality. Part of that reality is continued recruiting misses and depth issues. And as long as that keeps happening we'll be struggling to beat Baylor and TCU and OSU and West Virginia and Texas Tech, much less UT and KSU.
    Wowsers, what a downer you are!

We are recruiting top shelf talent at many positions, especially at RB, QB, and DB. DE looks very good now, and DT is picking up. We're looking better at OL.

OU is also just a fumble and a crooked ref crew away from being undefeated and playing for the NC.

Are the o lines that shitty that no coach in the all-Americans games tries to establish a the run?

Ray Charles could coach a better game than Steve Mariucci. Throw on the first 3 downs and then punt. Pathetic.

Ford finally gets the ball on KO and goes for 65 yds.

A reverse on the next play for 10 yds and then 3 pass plays and an interception.

is dead period over ... are we making visits again?

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    is dead period over ... are we making visits again?
    Yes, pretty sure dead period is over.

I think the dead is over with after the BS champ game. The 8th is the first day that coaches can begin to contact recruits again.

Originally Posted by cscsooner View Post
    espn recruiting guy thinks Starks will commit on jr. day. Would be awesome to lock both him and steven parker in that weekend
    Really, did he see how crappy the line was last night??

For OU to be at its very best..... OU’s recruiting base requires that the OU coaching staff possess the skills needed to consistently sign several under valued players in each class who later develop into good very players.

If we are to make coaching changes recruiting skills need to be at near the top of the list.

Recruiting dead period ended Friday. Coaches are out recruiting now
    2 users like usaosooner's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, jmizzy4ou

Originally Posted by Houston Sooner View Post
    Really, did he see how crappy the line was last night??

You are douche bag. Nothing but negative.
    4 users like OUfootball's post: greensooner, huntinsooner, oorah_okie, Stoops'Visor

Originally Posted by OUfootball View Post
    You are douche bag. Nothing but negative.
    Your a dumb ass and thinks everything is okay!

Just because we don't come into every thread talking shit doesn't mean we think everything is ok. Your negativity is annoying. I wish this board had an ignore feature!

You're an A&M fan, STFU...no one cares about your opinion around here

go gloat on your own board
    The following users like this post: Stoops'Visor

Originally Posted by Stoops'Visor View Post
    Just because we don't come into every thread talking shit doesn't mean we think everything is ok. Your negativity is annoying. I wish this board had an ignore feature!
    it does, go to his profile and you can add him to your ignore list
    2 users like greensooner's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, Stoops'Visor

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Recruiting dead period ended Friday. Coaches are out recruiting now
    Damage control if they are smart

This recruiting year just needs to be over. Outside of a couple of bright spots its been an absolute failure.

Is it me or what? It seems Stoops likes to recruit safeties and turn them into cornerbacks. He likes them to weigh about 200 lbs. What happened to recruiting some true CBs that are quick and weigh about 170-180 lbs? I looked at this years recruiting class and all safeties. Of course that might be just an area of need this year. We have a hard time stopping speed. Seems like other teams were able to keep Tavon Austin down to a reasonable amount of yardage. I am thankful we didn't play Oregon.

Come on coaches reel them in!
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

Overall, I think I like this class coming in. Yes, it could use a couple more stars, but with a couple of players I think it is a good one. Hatari Byrd is a big time safety, Stanvon Taylor (local product) is a good CB, DJ Ward (local) is a big time DE, Got a good QB in Thomas, and a big time RB in Ford. Now if we could land Mike Mitchell I think it is an outstanding recruiting class. There needs to be an emphasist on OLine and DT, but it looks pretty good.
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

Just saw Mitchell committed to OSU, anyone know anything about Darius Graham?

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    You're an A&M fan, STFU...no one cares about your opinion around here

go gloat on your own board

So you think everything is okay? You must be the only one on this board that thinks this green bean

Originally Posted by soonerjunky View Post
    Overall, I think I like this class coming in. Yes, it could use a couple more stars, but with a couple of players I think it is a good one. Hatari Byrd is a big time safety, Stanvon Taylor (local product) is a good CB, DJ Ward (local) is a big time DE, Got a good QB in Thomas, and a big time RB in Ford. Now if we could land Mike Mitchell I think it is an outstanding recruiting class. There needs to be an emphasist on OLine and DT, but it looks pretty good.
    I agree with you. We're not getting Mitchell, but Matt Dimon will be a big-time player for us at DE. Someone missed the boat giving this guy only 3 stars. Most importantly for next year, Q Russell will be a very important player at DT. He could completely change the dynamics of the D by being a disruptive force. I'm a little concerned about the safety spots, but otherwise, the D will be better. I still think we'll be somewhat rebuilding next year, but look out in 2014.
    2 users like Sooner 76's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, jmizzy4ou

So you think everything is okay? You must be the only one on this board that thinks this green bean
    he didn't say everything was 'okay'; he just said for you to STFU troll!!!
    2 users like DirtySouth_Sooner's post: greensooner, Sooner 76

your name calling is weak btw, I don't think things are ok...I think you're an Aggie who won't shut up about anything other than negativity and how all recruits are going to A&M

I repeat, go to texags and kindly go **** yourself in the process
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    I agree with you. We're not getting Mitchell, but Matt Dimon will be a big-time player for us at DE. Someone missed the boat giving this guy only 3 stars. Most importantly for next year, Q Russell will be a very important player at DT. He could completely change the dynamics of the D by being a disruptive force. I'm a little concerned about the safety spots, but otherwise, the D will be better. I still think we'll be somewhat rebuilding next year, but look out in 2014.
    Safety will be ok with Cortez and Hayes becoming eligible. We'll have them two plus Simon Colvin Sanchez Wilson and I hate to say Lynn. I have no idea on Tee Shep but it would be a plus if he were to make it. I liked it better when we played a corner at one safety spot and had one true safety (Colvin last year and JNelson before that)

Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    Safety will be ok with Cortez and Hayes becoming eligible. We'll have them two plus Simon Colvin Sanchez Wilson and I hate to say Lynn. I have no idea on Tee Shep but it would be a plus if he were to make it. I liked it better when we played a corner at one safety spot and had one true safety (Colvin last year and JNelson before that)
    I hope you are correct, my friend. I agree that Cortez is the best bet for a CB to move to safety, as he is the biggest CB we have. Tee Shepard would be a huge get. Corner looks good. Hayes is an unknown; he was progressing the year before, so hopefully he continued to progress on the scout team this year.

Why doesn't Stoops make Kittle the team chaplain and lawyer for the defense of any criminals we recruit. That would play to his strengths. Meantime, get a high powered recruiter in Norman to take his place.

Since Kittle's produced our earliest draft choice this year I'd say your idea is foolish

What are the chances OU sweeps in and picks up one or two kids from USC? Seems like they're dropping like crazy. One who comes to mind is Fitts. From what I read he was committed and ready to enroll early but USC due to number restrictions had to cut him loose. Now he's unable to enroll early at a different school because classes are starting

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    your name calling is weak btw, I don't think things are ok...I think you're an Aggie who won't shut up about anything other than negativity and how all recruits are going to A&M

I repeat, go to texags and kindly go **** yourself in the process

And you sorry ass thinking everything is okay is getting ****ing old!!

And you sorry ass thinking everything is okay is getting ****ing old!!

you have clear reading and understanding issues...show me posts saying I said things were ok, please show me that

oh and you're still an Aggie, you're just mad that I called you out on it
    The following users like this post: Stoops'Visor

Need cheering up guys. Not trying to continue the public felatio of Alabama but as I was occasionally flipping by the game on Monday, it was stated that Alabama's stud receiver was from Miami Northwestern. That kid could fly and looks like the real deal as a true freshman. With him being from Miami, he drives right by 3 power house programs on his way to Tuscaloosa. Miami, Florida, and Florida State. We've lost some recruits to TCU. How do we get them to keep on trucking past Ft Worth to Norman??

win a natty and they will drive to the ends of the earth to play for you if they think they can win one as well. It's really that simple

Dusty and Teddy talking about recruiting... Wes Welker in particular. Just quoted "if Bob Stoops offered a guy like Welker today, who's 5'9 or 5'10 at receiver they'd be blasting him on the message boards!" Confirmation they read LandThieves lol

I wouldn't 'blast' the coaches at OU for landing any recruits. I don't care how tall they are. I just want them to land some football players.
    The following users like this post: byrk75

its a little unsettling to me that we didn't reschedule the junior day that was planned for this weekend. Apparently some of the '14 recruits aren't too happy, they weren't given an explanation or another date, just told it was cancelled. recruiting is in bad shape and im usually the first guy to pump sunshine up your ass so yeah, that sucks

Originally Posted by 2SBTM View Post
    Dusty and Teddy talking about recruiting... Wes Welker in particular. Just quoted "if Bob Stoops offered a guy like Welker today, who's 5'9 or 5'10 at receiver they'd be blasting him on the message boards!" Confirmation they read LandThieves lol
    I honestly wouldn't care if they offered a 5'3 receiver as long as he was untouchable in the open field.

Originally Posted by madbrad View Post
    I honestly wouldn't care if they offered a 5'3 receiver as long as he was untouchable in the open field.
    don't remember too many of us being mad at picking up saunders. that kid looks 5'9 and 135.

Is Alexander visiting arkansas this weekend? I thought he was OU all the way. Although, nobody seems to want to play LB at OU.

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Is Alexander visiting arkansas this weekend? I thought he was OU all the way. Although, nobody seems to want to play LB at OU.
    Just cause its listed doesn't mean its happening or anything to worry about if it does happen. Pigs don't scare me a bit with Dom

‏@savageways_11
    Coach Stoops came through for my In-Home Visit. #boomersooner http://instagr.am/p/UfGpGlp9NH/
    2 users like usaosooner's post: drspencer, oucub23

Originally Posted by madbrad View Post
    Trenton Holiday is 5'5...
    had a punt and kickoff return in same game, we need one or two burners now that Justin Brown is gone

Originally Posted by andymancan20 View Post
    had a punt and kickoff return in same game, we need one or two burners now that Justin Brown is gone
    Guys like Holiday are few and far between. I will agree that OU needs to find a couple of big time speedsters that don't fall down when they catch a ball.

Originally Posted by andymancan20 View Post
    What is the relevance of Justin Brown leaving to getting a speedster?
    The following users like this post: oucub23