Your Recruiting Thoughts & Rants

Posted 765 day(s) ago by usaosooner232035 Views 3016 Replies
Page 14 of 61 4 12 13 14 15 16 24
    If OU is moving to a 3-4, can Matt Dimon fit the role of an OLB? Is he athletic enough for that?

Dakota Austin will be in tonight on OV

Originally Posted by 2SBTM View Post
    I asked the question earlier in the thread about him. Know anything? Late bloomer? Grade Risk? Are we just trying to get a CB in the class?

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    I asked the question earlier in the thread about him. Know anything? Late bloomer? Grade Risk? Are we just trying to get a CB in the class?
    Read where he went to a camp back in June and turned some heads but was only 150lbs? Maybe thought he was too small at the time and now looking to get a last minute CB? Not sure what the thought process behind bringing him is...

I know Mike was recently in Lancaster looking at film. Maybe Dakota is a back up plan

Originally Posted by DRL View Post
    Freeze is getting kind of defensive about the cheating accusations...
    Shouldn't he want people to report violations to the NCAA and not to the university so they can hush it up?

Just sayin'

http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=9&c=8&yr=2013

Dakota Austin is now a Sooner per Scout

So who, at this point, will be on campus for spring football?

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    So who, at this point, will be on campus for spring football?
    Ahmad Thomas, freshman strong safety

Jed Barnett, Jr punter

DJ Ward, freshman DE

Dannon Cavill, freshman WR

I wished Dimon could of came in at semster. I think this kid is going to be a very special play. Reminds me a little bit of Auston English.

Thanks, 76. What about Josiah St. John and Cody Thomas?

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Thanks, 76. What about Josiah St. John and Cody Thomas?
    Those are the only four EEs. You can only take so many a year.

Bad weekend on The 40 Acres.
    Geoff Ketchum‏@gkketch

OB has confirmed that A'Shawn Robinson has informed the Texas coaches in an in-home visit that he will sign with Alabama on Wednesday.

Originally Posted by 55-17beatdown2011 View Post
    Those are the only four EEs. You can only take so many a year.
    DK how many we could have taken. It's very possible that it WAS only four, as Cavill apparently was offered EE at the last minute after Russell wasn't able to make it for January.

Last year we took 6 EEs (3 freshmen: Metoyer, McNamara, Wade, and 3 JUCOs: Nelson, Everett, Green). Knight was turned down for EE, b/c the coaches wanted to give the last EE slot to McNamara at TE.

Usually the EE limit is related to the 85 total scholarship limit, rather than the annual 25 class limit. Usually, many, if not all, EEs can count for the previous year's class. OU's 6 EEs from 2012 could count for 2011, as the 2011 class was very small (n = 15).

Some of 85 schollies become available b/c some seniors graduate in December, and there is attrition by that point.

@SoonerScoop: A four-star Texas commit was visiting Norman today. #Sooners trying to steal a Longhorn? http://t.co/KwJvaywz
    Anyone know who they're talking about?

Per ESPN

Max Olson ‏@max_olson
    Contrary to other reports, Texas commit Demetrius Knox tells me he wasn't at Oklahoma junior day. On any other day this might be a story.

Originally Posted by Stoops'Visor View Post
    Per ESPN

Max Olson ‏@max_olson
    Contrary to other reports, Texas commit Demetrius Knox tells me he wasn't at Oklahoma junior day. On any other day this might be a story.
    I was going by this. from the 31st.
    BIG MEECH ‏@meechy77

@LoJoe12 this junior day is going to be live bruh!
    Lorenzo Joe™‏@LoJoe12

@meechy77 yes bro, I'm ready!!

Max Olson ‏@max_olson
    Well, Knox admitted he was at OU today. Didn't want word to get out. Says he just wanted to get out of the house and Texas shouldn't worry.

So did Lorenzo Joe make it too?

It sure seems like coaches are pulling their heads out and getting early starts on guys this year, especially the in state guys. the '14 class is already looking like it is getting off to a better start than the last couple of classes. Hopefully this will continue, and it looks like coaches are going harder after texas kids this year.

Can't wait for the end f recruiting for the '13 class to be over. So many seemingly ups and lots more downs throughout the entire process. It's been draining for fans, coaches and probably the recruits as well. Hope OU has a decent class, not expecting a bountiful harvest of players.

So...are these uncommitted guys the only guys we are waiting on?
    OT George Adeosun
    OT Kendall Moore
    OG Joshua Outlaw
    OG Dwayne Johnson
    DE Toby Johnson (JUCO)
    CB LJ Moore
    CB Adrian Baker
    that's it according to Scout, uncommitted, Med Interest, offered

Who are we actively trying to flip in terms of already committed players?

No to Kendall Moore, Dwyane Johnson, Toby Johnson, and most likely Adrian Baker. I think we'll land Outlaw, and we have a pretty good shot with Adeosun and LJ Moore. Dionte Savage will be a Sooner too.

No to Kendall Moore, Dwyane Johnson, Toby Johnson, and most likely Adrian Baker. I think we'll land Outlaw, and we have a pretty good shot with Adeosun and LJ Moore. Dionte Savage will be a Sooner too.
    I think we land Savage and Outlaw. maybe with Sooner Magic we get Moore but im not counting on it

Damn if thats all we end up with on the OL then Kittle needs to hit the road JMO

Can someone explain the situation at linebacker?

We return 5 guys (not including a walk-on - Gastelum).
    Nelson, Shannon, Franklin, Lindley, Striker.

Evans is committed.
    We lost Mastro...whatever. The MLB commit.
    Is either Byrd or Thomas being moved to OLB?

Are we done at LB? 6 guys? Even adding Byrd or Thomas, that's only 7.

Wasn't there rumor we might switch to the 3-4?
    Isn't that rumor pretty much negated by this recruiting class?

Depends on which direction OU is going in the 3-4. They could go the traditional route and play essentially 3 tackles as the 3 man front. Phillips, Quincy Russell/Toby Johnson if we end up with either and say Jordan Wade at the the other end spot. If they go that route with beef up front, then you stand up Grissom and Ndule, or the incoming freshman, Obingawa or whateverh his name is. Then Lindley and Shannon move inside.

If they are doing for reasons of getting speed on the field then I think they go Ndule and Grissom on the ends and Phillips at the NT. With Lindley and Nelson on the outside and Shannon and someone else in the middle. Or Lindley and Shannon remain in the middle and we need another guy outside. This option makes OU's numbers at LB low. The option above adds most of the lighter quicker DEs to OLB. Just depends on Mike and Bob's resoning for the switch I guess.
    The following users like this post: Sooner 76

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    Can someone explain the situation at linebacker?

We return 5 guys (not including a walk-on - Gastelum).
    Nelson, Shannon, Franklin, Lindley, Striker.

Evans is committed.
    We lost Mastro...whatever. The MLB commit.
    Is either Byrd or Thomas being moved to OLB?

Are we done at LB? 6 guys? Even adding Byrd or Thomas, that's only 7.

Wasn't there rumor we might switch to the 3-4?
    Isn't that rumor pretty much negated by this recruiting class?
    Bad year for LB recruiting for sure, but the 2014 class is stacked with talented LBs in TX/OK as well as the rest of the nation. The coaches didn't find any hidden gems in this 2013 class after we lost Mastro, so they are waiting until 2014 instead of giving a desperation offer to a kid that wasn't good enough. Recruiting is a two-year cycle. Give Kish a break until this time next year. I have a feeling he'll do better.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Bad year for LB recruiting for sure, but the 2014 class is stacked with talented LBs in TX/OK as well as the rest of the nation. The coaches didn't find any hidden gems in this 2013 class after we lost Mastro, so they are waiting until 2014 instead of giving a desperation offer to a kid that wasn't good enough. Recruiting is a two-year cycle. Give Kish a break until this time next year. I have a feeling he'll do better.
    This has been my thinking as well. Although, it's tough to sit here and deal with not getting a good LB class when it's such a big need right now.

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    This has been my thinking as well. Although, it's tough to sit here and deal with not getting a good LB class when it's such a big need right now.
    Tell me about it. How can you not go out and sell a kid that he could come in and start next year? Frank Shannon is good, and will be good but I've seen better true freshmen line backers play. There are kids out there that could beat him out next year and OU can't get in on any of them? That's odd to me.
    Last edited by srburkhart; February 4th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.

Kish seems to have a lifetime hall pass.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Kish seems to have a lifetime hall pass.
    Kish hasn't even been here a year. So other than being completely wrong, you make a good point.
    The following users like this post: Tundra

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Can't wait for the end f recruiting for the '13 class to be over. So many seemingly ups and lots more downs throughout the entire process. It's been draining for fans, coaches and probably the recruits as well. Hope OU has a decent class, not expecting a bountiful harvest of players.
    Yep. Overall, this class looked a lot weaker than ones we've been used to but Stoops looks like he's gonna close out this class pretty well. I've heard good things about the 2014 class. But its still early. The ultimate down of this class was when we lost Mastro to A&M the day after the Cotton Bowl.

Considering the rollercoaster ride of this recruiting season, I'm pretty impressed that OU has only lost out(flipping to other schools) on Mastro and Bryant that I can think of... Here's to hoping they're the only 2. haha

Considering the rollercoaster ride of this recruiting season, I'm pretty impressed that OU has only lost out(flipping to other schools) on Mastro and Bryant that I can think of... Here's to hoping they're the only 2. haha
    I wouldn't say we are losing out on Bryant...I think his story is far from being told and he had his hand out for some time now, curious how that all ends up in the future

he is going to ND after being all over the place, something's fishy about his recruitment

Mastro sucks to lose, especially to A&M and especially when they have 6-7 LB commits in this class alone while we have 1

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    Depends on which direction OU is going in the 3-4. They could go the traditional route and play essentially 3 tackles as the 3 man front. Phillips, Quincy Russell/Toby Johnson if we end up with either and say Jordan Wade at the the other end spot. If they go that route with beef up front, then you stand up Grissom and Ndule, or the incoming freshman, Obingawa or whateverh his name is. Then Lindley and Shannon move inside.

If they are doing for reasons of getting speed on the field then I think they go Ndule and Grissom on the ends and Phillips at the NT. With Lindley and Nelson on the outside and Shannon and someone else in the middle. Or Lindley and Shannon remain in the middle and we need another guy outside. This option makes OU's numbers at LB low. The option above adds most of the lighter quicker DEs to OLB. Just depends on Mike and Bob's resoning for the switch I guess.
    ILB - Favors, Shannon, maybe Lindley
    OLB - Lindley, Co. Nelson, Franklin, Striker; Onuoha and Tapper, maybe Grissom
    DEs - Ch. Nelson, Chuka, Tapper, Onuoha, and Grissom
    NTs - Phillips and Russell (maybe)
    DTs - Phillips, Wade, and Russell (forget about Peterson, Williams, and Anderson)

None of this takes into consideration the incoming recruits, other than Russell.

They may have some pretty good personnel and flexibility to run the 3-4 or some hybrid 3-4/4-3, but They don't have depth to do it.

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    ILB - Favors, Shannon, maybe Lindley
    OLB - Lindley, Co. Nelson, Franklin, Striker; Onuoha and Tapper, maybe Grissom
    DEs - Ch. Nelson, Chuka, Tapper, Onuoha, and Grissom
    NTs - Phillips and Russell (maybe)
    DTs - Phillips, Wade, and Russell (forget about Peterson, Williams, and Anderson)

None of this takes into consideration the incoming recruits, other than Russell.

They may have some pretty good personnel and flexibility to run the 3-4 or some hybrid 3-4/4-3, but They don't have depth to do it.
    I don't see it working. They'll be relying on the Freshman DT and Jordan Evans and Okoronkwo will have to play at OLB.

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    I don't see it working. They'll be relying on the Freshman DT and Jordan Evans and Okoronkwo will have to play at OLB.
    Does this make any sense?

DE - Michael Onuoha 84 (Soph); Chaz Nelson 99 (Sr); Matt Dimon xx (Fr)
    NT - Quincy Russell xx (Jr); Jordan Phillips 80 (Soph); Torrea Peterson 94 (Jr)
    DE - Jordan Wade 93 (RS Fr); Marquis Anderson 77 (Soph); Damon Williams 95 (Jr)

OLB - Geneo Grissom 85 (Jr); Charles Tapper 11 (Soph); DJ Ward xx (Fr)
    ILB - Rashad Favors 10 (Jr); Ogbonnia Okoronwu xx (Fr)
    ILB - Frank Shannon 20 (Soph); P.L. Lindley 40 (Soph)
    Jack OLB - Corey Nelson 7 (Sr); Chuke Ndulue 98 (Jr); Aaron Franklin 25 (Jr)
    The following users like this post: srburkhart

Last edited by Sooner 76; February 5th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.

I think Ogbonnia Okoronwu is going to be awesome.

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post

DE - Michael Onuoha 84 (Soph); Chaz Nelson 99 (Sr); DJ Ward xx (Fr)

OLB - Geneo Grissom 85 (Jr); Charles Tapper 11 (Soph); Matt Dimon xx (Fr)
    ILB - Erik Striker 41 (Soph); Rashad Favors 10 (Jr); Ogbonnia Okoronwu xx (Fr)
    ILB - Frank Shannon 20 (Soph); Aaron Franklin 25 (Jr); Caleb Gastelum 45 (Jr) WO
    Jack OLB - Corey Nelson 7 (Sr); Chuke Ndulue 98 (Jr); P.L. Lindley 40 (Soph)
    Only thing I would change would be Dimon at DE and Ward at OLB

DE - Michael Onuoha 84 (Soph); Chaz Nelson 99 (Sr); DJ Ward xx (Fr)

OLB - Geneo Grissom 85 (Jr); Charles Tapper 11 (Soph); Matt Dimon xx (Fr)
    ILB - Erik Striker 41 (Soph); Rashad Favors 10 (Jr); Ogbonnia Okoronwu xx (Fr)
    ILB - Frank Shannon 20 (Soph); Aaron Franklin 25 (Jr); Caleb Gastelum 45 (Jr) WO
    Jack OLB - Corey Nelson 7 (Sr); Chuke Ndulue 98 (Jr); P.L. Lindley 40 (Soph)
    Eric Striker weighs 198 lbs according to the spring roster. If he ends up starting at the ILB position we are in trouble.
    2 users like lobster999's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, OnlyOne

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    Eric Striker weighs 198 lbs according to the spring roster. If he ends up starting at the ILB position we are in trouble.
    This is true, thanks. Striker would be a strong safety. Aaron Franklin is also too light for ILB, so I moved him to OLBer.

I swapped Ward and Dimon, SoonerSapper, thanks.

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    I'd put Striker at OLB. He looks like a guy that's gonna fill out and being here a year he should put some weight on. His hs film is impressive as a blitzer and he's capable of coverage as well. He would be a good disguise around the line of scrimmage

The purposed lineup doesn't look especially talented nor frightening to opponents. Could it hold our '13 scheduled teams to under an average of 30 points per game being really thin on talent-depth-wise and a new secondary plus a retooled offense. Perhaps a saving grace will be that the offense won't strike quickly and grind out time consuming drives. I think that might be the key to success, keep the D off the field, use clock.

I don't think the defensive alignment is going to change the fact that the defense is thin on bodies and won't be overwhelmingly talented.

DE - Michael Onuoha 84 (Soph); Chaz Nelson 99 (Sr); Matt Dimon xx (Fr)

OLB - Geneo Grissom 85 (Jr); Charles Tapper 11 (Soph); DJ Ward xx (Fr)
    ILB - Rashad Favors 10 (Jr); Ogbonnia Okoronwu xx (Fr)
    ILB - Frank Shannon 20 (Soph); P.L. Lindley 40 (Soph)
    Jack OLB - Corey Nelson 7 (Sr); Chuke Ndulue 98 (Jr); Aaron Franklin 25 (Jr)
    1. Onuoha is more likely an OLB at 235 according to the official roster.

2. Chaz Nelson is around there (239) as well. Both these guys are 50 lbs too light to play ideal DE in a 3-4.

3. According to the official roster, Damon Williams has got almost 30 pounds on Torrea Peterson. Switch those two. Nose needs to be a freaking 300 pound hoss. That's Phillips and Damon Williams. IDK how big Quincy is.

Roster is evidently updated, because Landry and the seniors are dropped, and Stills and Jefferson are gone as well.

That said, I found two walk-on LB's listed here that I didn't know about. LB's- Tyler Anderson (6-2, 210; Magnolia, TX) and Kaleb Thompson (5-11, 200, Southmoore). Kin to Kendal?

So we got 5 scholly LB's, 3 walk-ons and one commit. But if you translate 5 or 6 DE's to OLB (including 2 or 3 walk-ons), then you've got some numbers. It all depends on how ideal you want your OLB's. 220? 235? 250? IDK.

It can be done. I think we are in for a rough year (relatively speaking) anyway. Might as well roll the dice. Couldn't be worse D than '11 and '12.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    1. Onuoha is more likely an OLB at 235 according to the official roster.

2. Chaz Nelson is around there (239) as well. Both these guys are 50 lbs too light to play ideal DE in a 3-4.

3. According to the official roster, Damon Williams has got almost 30 pounds on Torrea Peterson. Switch those two. Nose needs to be a freaking 300 pound hoss. That's Phillips and Damon Williams. IDK how big Quincy is.

Roster is evidently updated, because Landry and the seniors are dropped, and Stills and Jefferson are gone as well.

That said, I found two walk-on LB's listed here that I didn't know about. LB's- Tyler Anderson (6-2, 210; Magnolia, TX) and Kaleb Thompson (5-11, 200, Southmoore). Kin to Kendal?

So we got 5 scholly LB's, 3 walk-ons and one commit. But if you translate 5 or 6 DE's to OLB (including 2 or 3 walk-ons), then you've got some numbers. It all depends on how ideal you want your OLB's. 220? 235? 250? IDK.

It can be done. I think we are in for a rough year (relatively speaking) anyway. Might as well roll the dice. Couldn't be worse D than '11 and '12.
    Good point. Our heaviest DE is Tapper @ 265.

After checking all the weights on the official roster, I've made some adjustments. Really almost all of our DEs, except for Tapper, are too light to play DE in the 3-4. That makes them LBers. Striker is 198, so I'm back to projecting him at safety.

DE - Marquis Anderson 77 (Soph); Charles Tapper 91 (Soph); Kerrick Huggins xx (Fr)
    NT - Quincy Russell xx (Jr); Jordan Phillips 80 (Soph); Damon Williams 95 (Jr)
    DE - Jordan Wade 93 (RS Fr); Torrea Peterson 94 (Jr); Charles Walker xx (Fr)

SLB - Geneo Grissom 85 (Jr); Michael Onuoha 84 (Soph); Chuke Ndulue 98 (Jr)
    ILB - Rashad Favors 10 (Jr); P.L. Lindley 40 (Soph)
    ILB - Frank Shannon 20 (Soph); Ogbonnia Okoronwu xx (Fr); Caleb Gastelum 45 (Jr) WO
    Jack - Corey Nelson 7 (Sr); Aaron Franklin 25 (Jr); haz Nelson 99 (Sr)

LCB - Aaron Colvin 14 (Sr); Stavon Taylor xx (Fr); Trey Franks 24 (Jr)
    SS - Eric Striker 41 (Soph); Gabe Lynn 9 (Sr); Amad Thomas xx (Fr)
    FS - Quentin Hayes 29 (Jr); Hatari Bryd xx (Fr); Julian Wilson 2 (Jr)
    RCB - Cortez Johnson 22 (Soph); Gary Simon 27 (Soph); Zack Sanchez 26 (RS Fr)
    NB - Gabe Lynn 9 (Sr); Kass Everett 23 (Sr)
    DB - Julian Wilson 2 (Jr)
    2 users like Sooner 76's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, usaosooner