Your Recruiting Thoughts & Rants

Posted 754 day(s) ago by usaosooner231597 Views 3016 Replies
Page 15 of 61 5 13 14 15 16 17 25
    Is there going to be a thread on who signs or is it going to be on the 2013 verbal tracking thread.

Its under Owen Field

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    After checking all the weights on the official roster, I've made some adjustments. Really almost all of our DEs, except for Tapper, are too light to play DE in the 3-4. That makes them LBers. Striker is 198, so I'm back to projecting him at safety.

DE - Marquis Anderson 77 (Soph); Charles Tapper 91 (Soph); Kerrick Huggins xx (Fr)
    NT - Quincy Russell xx (Jr); Jordan Phillips 80 (Soph); Damon Williams 95 (Jr)
    DE - Jordan Wade 93 (RS Fr); Torrea Peterson 94 (Jr); Charles Walker xx (Fr)

SLB - Geneo Grissom 85 (Jr); Michael Onuoha 84 (Soph); Chuke Ndulue 98 (Jr)
    ILB - Rashad Favors 10 (Jr); P.L. Lindley 40 (Soph)
    ILB - Frank Shannon 20 (Soph); Ogbonnia Okoronwu xx (Fr); Caleb Gastelum 45 (Jr) WO
    Jack - Corey Nelson 7 (Sr); Aaron Franklin 25 (Jr); haz Nelson 99 (Sr)

LCB - Aaron Colvin 14 (Sr); Stavon Taylor xx (Fr); Trey Franks 24 (Jr)
    SS - Eric Striker 41 (Soph); Gabe Lynn 9 (Sr); Amad Thomas xx (Fr)
    FS - Quentin Hayes 29 (Jr); Hatari Bryd xx (Fr); Julian Wilson 2 (Jr)
    RCB - Cortez Johnson 22 (Soph); Gary Simon 27 (Soph); Zack Sanchez 26 (RS Fr)
    NB - Gabe Lynn 9 (Sr); Kass Everett 23 (Sr)
    DB - Julian Wilson 2 (Jr)
    This is pretty much how I see it. I do see Phillips at one of the end spots provided we sign one of the JUCO tackles and Striker at OLB. He can gain 20lbs.

He may be a fine young man but when Gabe Lynn is on the field I close my eyes. Surely we have recruited over him in 3 years.
    2 users like 61sooner's post: OnlyOne, soonerUthenMe

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    He may be a fine young man but when Gabe Lynn is on the field I close my eyes. Surely we have recruited over him in 3 years.
    I think he should move to offense.

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    I think he should move to offense.
    I think he should move to Tulsa.
    The following users like this post: srburkhart

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    After checking all the weights on the official roster, I've made some adjustments. Really almost all of our DEs, except for Tapper, are too light to play DE in the 3-4. That makes them LBers. Striker is 198, so I'm back to projecting him at safety.

DE - Marquis Anderson 77 (Soph); Charles Tapper 91 (Soph); Kerrick Huggins xx (Fr)
    NT - Quincy Russell xx (Jr); Jordan Phillips 80 (Soph); Damon Williams 95 (Jr)
    DE - Jordan Wade 93 (RS Fr); Torrea Peterson 94 (Jr); Charles Walker xx (Fr)

SLB - Geneo Grissom 85 (Jr); Michael Onuoha 84 (Soph); Chuke Ndulue 98 (Jr)
    ILB - Rashad Favors 10 (Jr); P.L. Lindley 40 (Soph)
    ILB - Frank Shannon 20 (Soph); Ogbonnia Okoronwu xx (Fr); Caleb Gastelum 45 (Jr) WO
    Jack - Corey Nelson 7 (Sr); Aaron Franklin 25 (Jr); haz Nelson 99 (Sr)

LCB - Aaron Colvin 14 (Sr); Stavon Taylor xx (Fr); Trey Franks 24 (Jr)
    SS - Eric Striker 41 (Soph); Gabe Lynn 9 (Sr); Amad Thomas xx (Fr)
    FS - Quentin Hayes 29 (Jr); Hatari Bryd xx (Fr); Julian Wilson 2 (Jr)
    RCB - Cortez Johnson 22 (Soph); Gary Simon 27 (Soph); Zack Sanchez 26 (RS Fr)
    NB - Gabe Lynn 9 (Sr); Kass Everett 23 (Sr)
    DB - Julian Wilson 2 (Jr)
    Don't focus so much on weight and height and start focusing more on what their capabilities are. Phillips can play and probably should play both a 2-gap and 1-gap. Same with Wade. Forget about Williams, Anderson, and Peterson for now. They haven't shown that they can play.

There's a lot of flexibility in the players we have because, as you've noted, OU has ton of quality DE/OLBs. I would predict that Lindley, while being "big" is rather skilled (according to HS film and rumors) at coverage, and, therefore, may be capable at the OLB position. However, he also appeared to have developed the ability to take on blockers. That implies an ILB position, but perhaps one who has pass coverage responsibilities.

I wonder if they will use a hybrid approach. For example, to one side of the NT is the standard 3-4, 2-gap approach while to the other side is the 4-3, 1-gap approach.

This is the rant thread...Kittle and Kish should be run out of town. They simply are not good enough to be at OU in 2013 and beyond. Good enough for 1996 OU, not 2013 OU. WTF is stoopsie thinking?
    The following users like this post: chris9996

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    This is the rant thread...Kittle and Kish should be run out of town. They simply are not good enough to be at OU in 2013 and beyond. Good enough for 1996 OU, not 2013 OU. WTF is stoopsie thinking?
    Patton is being run out of town or very close to being run out of town according the SoonerScoop guys.

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    agreed they should both be gone, I think they've shown their ability to sit on their thumbs long enough

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    Patton is being run out of town or very close to being run out of town according the SoonerScoop guys.
    it's a good start but if he goes, Kittle damn sure should go as well

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Don't focus so much on weight and height and start focusing more on what their capabilities are. Phillips can play and probably should play both a 2-gap and 1-gap. Same with Wade. Forget about Williams, Anderson, and Peterson for now. They haven't shown that they can play.

There's a lot of flexibility in the players we have because, as you've noted, OU has ton of quality DE/OLBs. I would predict that Lindley, while being "big" is rather skilled (according to HS film and rumors) at coverage, and, therefore, may be capable at the OLB position. However, he also appeared to have developed the ability to take on blockers. That implies an ILB position, but perhaps one who has pass coverage responsibilities.

I wonder if they will use a hybrid approach. For example, to one side of the NT is the standard 3-4, 2-gap approach while to the other side is the 4-3, 1-gap approach.
    I agree with you totally about focusing on ability rather than "measureables" (height/weight).

For me, (concerning my previous post) I just don't know enough about guys that haven't seen the field, so the easiest way to evaluate a likely position in the 3-4 was to look at their size.

And as far as 1-gap, 2-gap, I am guessing our guys are more suited for 1-gap and that there would be a transition period where we would use both depending on the strength of the opponent's OL.

In other words, rather than a 'hybrid' scheme in use on the field at the same time, it would be a mix of schemes/packages. There might be a group more suited to standard 2-gap/3-man front.

A hybrid in use together on the DL might screw up the LB responsibilities, or make it too confusing for them. I am not really sure but it sure seemed like the big gripe about Venables' schemes were that they were too complicated. Just let the guys read quick and react. That resonated with me when I played defense.

Of course it's been 20 years since I played DT, and that was in the (now) archaic 5-2. On top of that, my primary position was OG. So maybe I am getting something wrong. But I would guess whatever the case is, if we go 3-4, it's going to take some serious tinkering to make the transition. We'd probably all agree with that.

Not a lot of difference in the old school 5-2 and the modern 3-4. Same as the old 4-4 and 4-2 are almost the same. Basically they've been adjusted to add more coverages and adjustments for modern spread offenses.
    The following users like this post: srburkhart

Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    Not a lot of difference in the old school 5-2 and the modern 3-4. Same as the old 4-4 and 4-2 are almost the same. Basically they've been adjusted to add more coverages and adjustments for modern spread offenses.
    The response to the 5-2 was the 4-3. The 5-2 couldn't respond to OU's (and other's) wishbone attack.

There isn't much that is new. Some teams even use an inverted veer option (see TCU w/Dalton and Barn w/Newton). Same premise, just reversed.

So is recruiting over? Other than Toby Johnson, are there any offers out for unsigned guys or JUCO's.

Originally Posted by Vodnik View Post
    So is recruiting over? Other than Toby Johnson, are there any offers out for unsigned guys or JUCO's.
    Besides Toby yes we are done unless something crazy happens and we pull of a Bester/Saunders/Brown again late but that isn't happening

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Besides Toby yes we are done unless something crazy happens and we pull of a Bester/Saunders/Brown again late but that isn't happening
    long time before season ... there's always hope for another big scandal from one of the schools so we can poach their players again (hopefully an LB or two).

usao what are the chances your opinion of signing Johnson? 30-70?

Anyone know why we haven't offered Starks yet? Will this turn into another Justin Manning saga?

Originally Posted by CPSooner View Post
    Anyone know why we haven't offered Starks yet? Will this turn into another Justin Manning saga?
    Starks was offered in June.

Originally Posted by CPSooner View Post
    Nathan Starks? We offered him a LONG time ago. LONG time.

Sorry....Scout shows us as NOT offering him. I was getting bent out of shape for no reason. Thanks for the update.

Looks a bit ****y, I like.

****y? What the ****? Are you implying he looks like someone who would **** a girl?

moved both comments

lol

Let's say we can only have one of them. Who do you want? Starks or Mixon? I can't decide.

Starks for me
    3 users like Soonerfanpa1's post: drspencer, Sooner 76, sovasooner

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    Let's say we can only have one of them. Who do you want? Starks or Mixon? I can't decide.
    Starks by a mile for me.

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    Starks by a mile for me.
    Yep. Not only because he's awesome, but also because OU needs to get back into Gorman.

(Side note: this banner is ****ing fantastic. Kudos to nuked or usao or whomever created it.)

Originally Posted by sovasooner View Post
    Yep. Not only because he's awesome, but also because OU needs to get back into Gorman.

(Side note: this banner is ****ing fantastic. Kudos to nuked or usao or whomever created it.)
    This was my thought as well. I wouldn't be upset with either one, but I would like to keep the Gorman line open. Hasn't Starks had some injuries as well?

We need to make our hires and have them hit the recruiting trail ASAP. It's worrying hearing what the 2014 recruits (and mother's of 2014 recruits) are saying, but if you hire a dynamite coach/recruiter, then we should be able to catch back up on these guys, especially with our second junior day approaching.

I think new hires will be on board shortly. I don't see this coaching search taking long.

ultimately you go to win championships and get into the league or get a good education...i think it's a bigger deal if the HC leaves than a position coach plus with this being feb we have nearly a year for the new guys to come in and establish a relationship with these kids that will help them decide. Also bedenbaugh is a very good recruiter who will have his own pipelines and if we can get lupoi or someone else that's a great recruiter we will quickly get back to speed and surpass where we are presently

Originally Posted by 55-17beatdown2011 View Post
    We need to make our hires and have them hit the recruiting trail ASAP. It's worrying hearing what the 2014 recruits (and mother's of 2014 recruits) are saying, but if you hire a dynamite coach/recruiter, then we should be able to catch back up on these guys, especially with our second junior day approaching.
    What are the recruits and the moms saying? I hadn't heard.

Originally Posted by Hotrod33 View Post
    What are the recruits and the moms saying? I hadn't heard.
    Deondre Clark's(who OU has little chance with) mom hit up Gerald McCoy on Twitter regarding Shipp.

Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
    He's attending UT's 2nd junior day this weekend. Any concerns?
    If he is, **** him and go grab someone else. Wide receiver is the only position where we can say that, so why not. Norvell should call him during the Texas Jr. Day and say, "I hope you like it there, because you sure as **** aren't coming here".

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    If he is, **** him and go grab someone else. Wide receiver is the only position where we can say that, so why not. Norvell should call him during the Texas Jr. Day and say, "I hope you like it there, because you sure as **** aren't coming here".
    So apparently he's going there to help get his twin brother, d'Onta, some exposure. He's looking forward to getting out and seeing other places, but he hasn't soured on OU. Norvell is still well on top of this guy. He just really wants his brother to get some big-time offers, which has not happened yet. Apparently the kid is quite talented, but I haven't seen any film on him. They'd like to go to school together, but have already come to the understanding that that may not happen.

If a kid doesn't know where he wants to play, that's fine but don't commit. We have positions to fill and we don't make many offers so if a kid wants to look around, that's great but for every kid that wants to look around, there are a couple who are damn good who want to commit. With limited scholarships, we can't afford to screw around with kids who don't know what it means to be committed while other kids we want at positions of need are going to rival programs.

Bob Przybylo‏@BPrzybylo

Did #Sooners commit @MoneyItHurt consider flipping to #Horns? "No, I'm riding with #OU right now."
    "right now"... well, hope you don't mind limiting your options Armanti Goldgrill Foreman. If Norvell is smart, which he is, he is on the verge of moving on from this kid. While I would have loved for him to "ride with OU", I'm afraid that the chances are starting to look bleak.

"right now"... well, hope you don't mind limiting your options Armanti Goldgrill Foreman. If Norvell is smart, which he is, he is on the verge of moving on from this kid. While I would have loved for him to "ride with OU", I'm afraid that the chances are starting to look bleak.
    Im sure the OU coaches dont consider him solid, and are still recruiting him just like alot of other WR's. Its way to early to "move on" just yet.

Im sure the OU coaches dont consider him solid, and are still recruiting him just like alot of other WR's. Its way to early to "move on" just yet.
    It totally depends on his conversations with Norvell and what Norvell thinks about the kid, but from the outside... I don't like the kid.

moved from the foreman thread

Relentless recruiters. Nothing is decided until they sign. This isn't over.

Welp. Can't have two good days in a row I guess. At least Quick didn't commit.

Fire Montgomery.

Can OU out recruit and get a kid who is being recruited by an upper half SEC school, Ohio State. USC or Oregon at this time and place? If not, isn't the coaching staff having to be looking at lesser kids to fill our needs?

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Can OU out recruit and get a kid who is being recruited by an upper half SEC school, Ohio State. USC or Oregon at this time and place? If not, isn't the coaching staff having to be looking at lesser kids to fill our needs?

Yes we can. Its not even march yet.

Should we worry about our '14 WR commit re Texas and Texas AM interest? Seems like he may be getting lonely as one of only two commits. While it is early, the process keeps accelerating. We need to get him some buddies...who is next?

Originally Posted by SoonerScrooge View Post
    Should we worry about our '14 WR commit re Texas and Texas AM interest? Seems like he may be getting lonely as one of only two commits. While it is early, the process keeps accelerating. We need to get him some buddies...who is next?
    Christian Sams or Tay Evans with a offer