Your Recruiting Thoughts & Rants

Posted 726 day(s) ago by usaosooner230728 Views 3016 Replies
Page 6 of 61 4 5 6 7 8 16 56
    Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    So, what the **** do we do at DT now? We've struck out on plan A-Z.
    Just bumped/ started a bunch of threads

Recruiting, besides mother ****ing wide receivers and defensive backs sucks a fat ****. WHAT THE ****?

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    Recruiting, besides mother ****ing wide receivers and defensive backs sucks a fat ****. WHAT THE ****?
    RB is good too

here's a good article from rivals talking about who's available:

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1446047

Originally Posted by Derrouse View Post
    RB is good too
    Very true. I don't understand why we aren't busting our ****ing ass off to get good linemen. Championships are won in the trenches....has OU forgotten this?

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    Very true. I don't understand why we aren't busting our ****ing ass off to get good linemen. Championships are won in the trenches....has OU forgotten this?
    I doubt it. I really hope it shapes up soon though

Originally Posted by Derrouse View Post
    I doubt it. I really hope it shapes up soon though
    Well they aren't recruiting enough linemen so obviously things aren't quite right.

Regarding Manning, I thought up until a couple of days ago that he was an OU lock. However, other info started coming in. One disturbing thing is that his tweets have all pro OU the last few days and he wore OU gear to school on Monday.

That sent a message that he was trying to build up the drama for his announcement and also throw people off the scent.

Generally though, OU doesn't fare well with the type of prima donna drama queens who like to make their announcement a major theatrical production. They are just not our type of person.

Onward and upward. Not the end of the world, although he would have been a good get.

It's been difficult to comment on recruiting because if you say anything negative you are called a troll, OU hater, stupid or a piece of shit.
    The name calling idiots should realize we all are 100% for OU but sometimes you have to vent your frustrations over the situations that develop.

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    Regarding Manning, I thought up until a couple of days ago that he was an OU lock. However, other info started coming in. One disturbing thing is that his tweets have all pro OU the last few days and he wore OU gear to school on Monday.

That sent a message that he was trying to build up the drama for his announcement and also throw people off the scent.

Generally though, OU doesn't fare well with the type of prima donna drama queens who like to make their announcement a major theatrical production. They are just not our type of person.

Onward and upward. Not the end of the world, although he would have been a good get.
    That's not cool if he did this knowing he was going elsewhere.

I don't have much hope of salvaging this class, but I do have high hopes for 2014. Some good talent coming out of OK next year.

Originally Posted by Stoops'Visor View Post
    I don't have much hope of salvaging this class, but I do have high hopes for 2014. Some good talent coming out of OK next year.
    I feel ya...however, there are still some REALLY solid players left for this class that I'm "hoping" we can land.

The good thing about being a fan is that if OU gets some commitments from, for example, Johnson, Bain, and/or Bradley, you'll likely forget about Manning for a while. The world turned inside out when Arthur Brown chose Miami (God told him to go there, so, you know, good one...) and OU fans have, largely, forgotten about him, especially when he was buried in the depth chart at Miami at all LB positions.

This recruiting miss on Manning/Granger is not quite as fun to watch or be a part of as others that many fans got their hopes up for, even though they were ghosts (they were never going to be seen in an OU uniform), like Julio Jones and Reuben Randle. This one sucks a little more, not because Justin is a "legacy" or because we were leading most of the time. It's because OU ****ing needs DTs and Stoops' defense depends on a solid D line.

Not getting Manning/Granger may have an impact for a couple years if OU doesn't get several top JUCO DTs, and they turn out. Right now, OU has which DTs in waiting?

Phillips? He'll be a good one, but hasn't played enough to leave many comfy inside that he's the answer as an anchor to the D line.
    Anderson? Meh. Never heard anything from him.
    Wade? Maybe. Never played, but I think he will turn some heads next year.
    Williams? No. Never going to play, unless a miracle happens.
    Peterson? Maybe. He has not really played much.

This leads us to a very simple and straight forward conclusion. OU's current DTs have to turn out. And OU has to land several JUCOs who also have to turn out. It looks like OU has two deep at the DT position and not ONE of them is a leader, a star, or an experienced player...yet.

Ok. I'm going to start drinking heavily now...
    4 users like Mr. Pink's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, drspencer, jmizzy4ou, OU812

Only way Shipp can change my mind about him being a major **** up is if he lands Bain,Russell,Bradley, Johnson, all 4 and or Senat to

I just want to +5000 all of the recruits on Varsity mode.
    3 users like BMR's post: jmizzy4ou, sooner9582, soonersjh

There are still some good DTs out there that we should be recruiting the hell out of. If I was Russell, Johnson, Bain and Senat, those four could come in and with Phillips, they could be our rotation of 5 DTs. There's no other DT on our roster that should be ahead of any of those guys for any reason at all (assuming Johnson's knee comes back to full strength quickly).

Last i heard was Johnson wouldn't be able to see the field until 2014. But if he is a no miss then id still bring him in incase one of the others doesn't pan out or a injury for depth purposes

According to scout's rankings, A&M has 4 of the top 7 DT's from the state of Texas.
    OSU has 2 of the top 8 from the state of Texas.

And I was wondering what all the ****ing about Jackie Shipp was all about. /sarcasm

Dumb question - do the position coaches always recruit their own positions?
    I always thought assistants were assigned to geographic areas. Is that a change in strategy that happened over the last several years?

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    The good thing about being a fan is that if OU gets some commitments from, for example, Johnson, Bain, and/or Bradley, you'll likely forget about Manning for a while. The world turned inside out when Arthur Brown chose Miami (God told him to go there, so, you know, good one...) and OU fans have, largely, forgotten about him, especially when he was buried in the depth chart at Miami at all LB positions.

This recruiting miss on Manning/Granger is not quite as fun to watch or be a part of as others that many fans got their hopes up for, even though they were ghosts (they were never going to be seen in an OU uniform), like Julio Jones and Reuben Randle. This one sucks a little more, not because Justin is a "legacy" or because we were leading most of the time. It's because OU ****ing needs DTs and Stoops' defense depends on a solid D line.

Not getting Manning/Granger may have an impact for a couple years if OU doesn't get several top JUCO DTs, and they turn out. Right now, OU has which DTs in waiting?

Phillips? He'll be a good one, but hasn't played enough to leave many comfy inside that he's the answer as an anchor to the D line.
    Anderson? Meh. Never heard anything from him.
    Wade? Maybe. Never played, but I think he will turn some heads next year.
    Williams? No. Never going to play, unless a miracle happens.
    Peterson? Maybe. He has not really played much.

This leads us to a very simple and straight forward conclusion. OU's current DTs have to turn out. And OU has to land several JUCOs who also have to turn out. It looks like OU has two deep at the DT position and not ONE of them is a leader, a star, or an experienced player...yet.

I really think Anderson is going to be a monster and from everything I've seen of him he will be exactly that.

Ok. I'm going to start drinking heavily now...

trying to think objectively about the DT situation at OU and those responsible for selling/recruiting for this position. the only negative i see would be living in oklahoma for those far away. but compared to positives: compete to play immediately, nationally recognized top school, top notch facilities, winning football program, stable coaching staff, huge fan base/home field advantage, pro/NFL opportunities, and good education.

i would think it would be as easy as selling an Iphone 5 on release date. as a sales person/ dt recruiter, i would be absolutely embarrassed at this point ... or maybe there are a bunch of other negatives out there but i don't see it.

double post.

Think it may be time to put the golf clubs up for some of these coaches and hit the recruiting road

Any ideas on who our next commitment might be?

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Any ideas on who our next commitment might be?
    Lamar Robbins DB

How many DB's would that make for this class? Stoops needs to be on the phone to see if he can get Randy Shannon to come to OU and cut ties with Shipp. Sumlin has Texas on lock down for the top defensive players. Shannon is a good coach and could open the Florida pipeline we need
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Originally Posted by soonerUthenMe View Post
    How many DB's would that make for this class? Stoops needs to be on the phone to see if he can get Randy Shannon to come to OU and cut ties with Shipp. Sumlin has Texas on lock down for the top defensive players. Shannon is a good coach and could open the Florida pipeline we need
    shannon is a good recruiter; i thought we should have got him when well got rid of martinez.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    shannon is a good recruiter; i thought we should have got him when well got rid of martinez.
    He not coming unless he's at least a def coordinator.

So we should stop recruiting tx? I don't think so. We just need to do better. If that means replacing Shipp, then so be it.

Ok now I know Hell has frozen over and shit has hit the fan when I read today Kansas football picked up a big time 4 star DT in Marquel Combs. I'm about to give up on thinking we will ever land a DT.

We weren't actively pursing him ... doesn't even have an OU offer.

Coombs would have washed out after two weeks of summer ball he is lazy and has a bad attitude

Bob and Shipp with Quincy Russell tonight

also it looks like Charles Walker may get his offer tomorrow per rivals

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Coombs would have washed out after two weeks of summer ball he is lazy and has a bad attitude

I was wondering when Bob was going to start getting more involved with the DT recruits. Hopefully we locked him up tonight. 3 more to go

Would be a great get. Toby Johnson also had some good things to say about his visit with Shipp today. Here's hoping our DT recruiting is turning the corner.
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

that's not Russell. Any other ideas who it might be?

It's Chris Russell, Quincy's brother.

Someone fudged his height. He's about an inch taller than Stoops and 2 or more inches shorter than Shipp. I think Shipp is about 6'2".

Xavier Turner 2014 RB says OU is his favorite. Anyone know anything about him?

Recruiting info shows him as a Vanderbilt recruit in baseball. Must be a 2 sport star.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12...d-another.html

Turner the burner

Birdville running back Xavier Turner has been on fire this postseason. The 5-foot-10, 200-pound junior has rushed 72 times for 619 yards and 11 touchdowns in three playoff wins for the Hawks (13-0). That's an impressive average of 206 yards and almost four touchdowns on 24 carries per outing.

Turner has 1,444 yards and 29 scores on the ground this season, plus 323 yards and three TDs on 20 catches.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12...#storylink=cpy

texas has another recruit decommit in TE Smythe.

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2012/...orns-decommits

Random question, how many decommits does OU typically have in a season? 2 so far right, Rodriguez and Bryant?

Dude. Our recruiting?

Woof.

Originally Posted by BMR View Post
    Dude. Our recruiting?

Woof.
    Worst ****ing recruiting ever for a perennial powerhouse coming off a good year. We can't secure one player on the offensive line or at defensive tackle? REALLY? I hope multiple people lose their jobs. If multiple people don't, Bob should. What a **** he has become over the years...

Originally Posted by 2SBTM View Post
    Random question, how many decommits does OU typically have in a season? 2 so far right, Rodriguez and Bryant?
    About 2 or 3. Forget Bryant. He was an odd commitment anyways.

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    Worst ****ing recruiting ever for a perennial powerhouse coming off a good year. We can't secure one player on the offensive line or at defensive tackle? REALLY? I hope multiple people lose their jobs. If multiple people don't, Bob should. What a **** he has become over the years...
    Let's pump the brakes just a second, here. There are two positions where OU's recruiting isn't up to par just yet: OL and DT. Granted, those are positions of dire need. So I'm not trying to say this is exactly what we want, but let's give credit where it's due.

Keith Ford and Cody Thomas make for an elite backfield tandem. As long as OU doesn't lose Norvell, we're probably leading for Treadwell.

Our DE class is as good as any we've ever signed. I'm extremely happy with our LB corps, and we're not out of it for an elite every-down LB in EJ Levenberry. Our DB class is just sick.

The sky isn't falling. We've just got a couple of positions where we've just whiffed consistently. Again, I'll grant that those are positions of dire need, but let's not act like all we've landed is scrubs.
    5 users like NateHeupelESQ's post: OnlyOne, OU812, RoadWarrior, Sooner 76, Stoops'Visor

Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post
    Let's pump the brakes just a second, here. There are two positions where OU's recruiting isn't up to par just yet: OL and DT. Granted, those are positions of dire need. So I'm not trying to say this is exactly what we want, but let's give credit where it's due.

Keith Ford and Cody Thomas make for an elite backfield tandem. As long as OU doesn't lose Norvell, we're probably leading for Treadwell.

Our DE class is as good as any we've ever signed. I'm extremely happy with our LB corps, and we're not out of it for an elite every-down LB in EJ Levenberry. Our DB class is just sick.

The sky isn't falling. We've just got a couple of positions where we've just whiffed consistently. Again, I'll grant that those are positions of dire need, but let's not act like all we've landed is scrubs.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

sounds like OU will be the leader for Treadwell as long as his visit goes well this weekend.

Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post

I agree in that skill position I would not take any other class over ours, it's that good. Like you said though DT and OL we have had the worst luck or whatever it is there. If we can land Russell, Walker and Bain, please God Bain we will be perfectly fine on the Dline. I just hope we land some decent Olinemen to finish up. If we can do these things which for sme reason I think we end up doing, this class could be one of the best if ever and lead to a NC. Lets all hope and pray for linemen and when it happens we can look forward to an even better recruiting class next year.

I do believe the Russells are in SA but if we are there anywayh i bet they atleast dropped in on this kid

http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahomastat...-Taylor-113668
    The following users like this post: Vodnik

Everyone crying about Rodriguez decommit need to relax. That's not such a bad thing considering. He didn't want to play OT and our DEs are much better. Frees up a ship for an actual OT or DT.