Your Recruiting Thoughts & Rants

Posted 813 day(s) ago by usaosooner233576 Views 3016 Replies
Page 7 of 61 5 6 7 8 9 17 57
    From what Ive been reading the last week or two, I think Bob has taken over the DT recruiting and Shipp is just along for the ride.
    2 users like Vodnik's post: soonerUthenMe, Stoops'Visor

Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post
    There are two positions where OU's recruiting isn't up to par just yet: OL and DT.
    Unfortunately those are arguably the two most important positions on the football field. Just look at the S. E. C. Think they've won 6 national titles in a row because of their vastly superior skill position players?

Matthew Beyer ‏@Beyer78
    OLs need to realize OU is the place to be if the NFL+college degree is their goal... That why I choose OU. And I wish I still could. #Boomer

and Sean Dowling decommitted from UCLA
    The following users like this post: Vodnik

Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post
    Let's pump the brakes just a second, here. There are two positions where OU's recruiting isn't up to par just yet: OL and DT. Granted, those are positions of dire need. So I'm not trying to say this is exactly what we want, but let's give credit where it's due.

Keith Ford and Cody Thomas make for an elite backfield tandem. As long as OU doesn't lose Norvell, we're probably leading for Treadwell.

Our DE class is as good as any we've ever signed. I'm extremely happy with our LB corps, and we're not out of it for an elite every-down LB in EJ Levenberry. Our DB class is just sick.

The sky isn't falling. We've just got a couple of positions where we've just whiffed consistently. Again, I'll grant that those are positions of dire need, but let's not act like all we've landed is scrubs.
    Not that I'm all that wrapped up in recruiting rankings, but if it's as good as you say, why is OU an abysmal 29/30 in Rivals class rankings? In general, that's a decent barometer of we are not up in the top 10 where we belong.

Originally Posted by ltsooner View Post
    Not that I'm all that wrapped up in recruiting rankings, but if it's as good as you say, why is OU an abysmal 29/30 in Rivals class rankings? In general, that's a decent barometer of we are not up in the top 10 where we belong.
    Because, right now, our numbers are low. The formula that they use is based on numbers of players and their average stars, not just the star average.

We will have a good class on signing day, and hopefully, we will get the players at OT and DT that we need.

In 1999, Stoops quickly signed a class that was rated #43 by Rivals. It included 2-star QB Jason White, another 2-star QB Brandon Everage, a 1-star RB Quentin Griffin, a 1-start DT Kory Klein, 1-star CB Antwone Savage, and 1-star safety Matt McCoy.

How did those guys turn out?
    3 users like Sooner 76's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, NickDangerThirdEye, usaosooner

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    Because, right now, our numbers are low. The formula that they use is based on numbers of players and their average stars, not just the star average.

We will have a good class on signing day, and hopefully, we will get the players at OT and DT that we need.

In 1999, Stoops quickly signed a class that was rated #43 by Rivals. It included 2-star QB Jason White, another 2-star QB Brandon Everage, a 1-star RB Quentin Griffin, a 1-start DT Kory Klein, 1-star CB Antwone Savage, and 1-star safety Matt McCoy.

How did those guys turn out?
    The scout & rivals classes for OU only go back to 2002 on their websites. Espn goes back to 2006. Where can I find 2001 & earlier recruiting info?

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Unfortunately those are arguably the two most important positions on the football field. Just look at the S. E. C. Think they've won 6 national titles in a row because of their vastly superior skill position players?
    Those positions are important. But, Mark Ingrahm, Cam Newton, Tim Tebow - all Heisman winners. Yes, the skill position guys were just as important.

Originally Posted by nlight1 View Post
    The scout & rivals classes for OU only go back to 2002 on their websites. Espn goes back to 2006. Where can I find 2001 & earlier recruiting info?
    im not 100% sure, but i thought Jason white was a fairly highly sought after QB.
    I would also argue that those scouting websites werent as comprehensive in the late 90s as they are today. Lots more guys slipped through the cracks back then.

I've kept a spreadsheet on all of Stoops' recruiting classes.

I also keep a depth chart of each year's team.

A woman's (in your case, ANY woman's) **** is a wonderful thing. You should try it some time.

Wana share those spreadsheets?

Wana share those spreadsheets?
    Always happy to share with respectful co-posters. :-)

Do you want to send me a pm?

Hit me with it 76

Yeah, what's up with our Recruiting ? Not too may 4 & 5 stars like in the past ? Hum.

Originally Posted by Whiskey&Pills View Post
    Yeah, what's up with our Recruiting ? Not too may 4 & 5 stars like in the past ? Hum.
    Christ, that avatar is repulsive.

Does anyone have any info on Keith Bryant? Or do we have a chance at landing him. I hope Bob and Mike are doing everything in their power to land both him and Bain. If we could land them, then this DT class could end up being stellar.

Originally Posted by sooner9582 View Post
    Does anyone have any info on Keith Bryant? Or do we have a chance at landing him. I hope Bob and Mike are doing everything in their power to land both him and Bain. If we could land them, then this DT class could end up being stellar.
    I still find it hard to label this class of DT's "stellar" even with Bryant and Bain. Good yes...stellar no

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Hit me with it 76
    Ok, please send me a pm with you email and I'll send you the files.

2013 Edmond North OT Newland accepted offer from Heupel today according to Jason Kersey twitter.

atalk

Originally Posted by CPSooner View Post
    I still find it hard to label this class of DT's "stellar" even with Bryant and Bain. Good yes...stellar no
    I think stellar, because ESPN just reported we got a committ from Kerick Huggins as well. SO Huggins, Bain and Bryant plus Russell or another guy would be an awesome DT class.

Always happy to share with respectful co-posters. :-)

Do you want to send me a pm?
    Pm sent thanks again

I keep hearing that A&M will be dropping a couple of guys due to them already being over their limit and still in on highly rated guys(Reuben Foster, Mackenzie Alexander, and others)

WR Derrick Griffen has grade issues and might be dropped.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/tamu/footbal...Griffin-107457

DT Isaiah Golden is another rumored to be dropped.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/tamu/footbal...-Golden-127971

USAO or anyone know if we're recruiting either or would go after either?

Recruiting in the SEC, your offer is only good until we find somebody better.
    2 users like OU812's post: jmizzy4ou, Tundra

For anyone that wants to see Matt Dimon, the Katy Tigers are taking on Cibolo Steele at 2:00 today on Fox Sports Southwest. Dimon is #94.

Originally Posted by huntinsooner View Post
    I keep hearing that A&M will be dropping a couple of guys due to them already being over their limit and still in on highly rated guys(Reuben Foster, Mackenzie Alexander, and others)

WR Derrick Griffen has grade issues and might be dropped.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/tamu/footbal...Griffin-107457

DT Isaiah Golden is another rumored to be dropped.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/tamu/footbal...-Golden-127971

USAO or anyone know if we're recruiting either or would go after either?
    Golden looks pretty good, if he can qualify.

Here's his Scout profile:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...=1&nid=5679891

Originally Posted by BoonesFarmSooner View Post
    For anyone that wants to see Matt Dimon, the Katy Tigers are taking on Cibolo Steele at 2:00 today on Fox Sports Southwest. Dimon is #94.
    he had a great game with defensive play of the game (pic for TD).

Looks like Thomas from BA decided to verbal to osu. I guess they don't care about the character issues.

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    Looks like Thomas from BA decided to verbal to osu. I guess they don't care about the character issues.
    You would have thought the same thing about OU until he "de-commited".

#14 class per 247 http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Foo...teTeamRankings

#19 class by Scout http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2013

#20 class per Rivals http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...k/2013/all/all

In short. If we address our needs OT/DT and pull a Treadwell or someone else we'll likely have a consensus top 15 class

Bain tweeted that he has not yet committed to LSU.

#14 class per 247 http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Foo...teTeamRankings

#19 class by Scout http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2013

#20 class per Rivals http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...k/2013/all/all

In short. If we address our needs OT/DT and pull a Treadwell or someone else we'll likely have a consensus top 15 class
    Top 15 would be an excellent class for OU. We have some good prospects who are underrated.

™ BOSSMAN ™ ‏@BOSSMAN_QUAY

I didn't commit yet people but I will commit at the under amour all star game

Bob Przybylo is claiming Bain did not commit to LSU.

He's a silent commit to LSU. The news accidentally leaked out. Instead of ruining his announcement ceremony at the Under Armour All American game, he's playing it off as if he hasn't committed yet. And rightly so. Kind of shitty of the LSU staff to leak the news to a recruiting agency.

Originally Posted by Stoops'Visor View Post
    ™ BOSSMAN ™ ‏@BOSSMAN_QUAY

I didn't commit yet people but I will commit at the under amour all star game
    Other words he wants to play the hat game and get on tv. He has been a LSU lean for quite a while now so it won't be a surprise at all when he commits to LSU.
    The following users like this post: SoonerRO

Originally Posted by 55-17beatdown2011 View Post
    He's a silent commit to LSU. The news accidentally leaked out. Instead of ruining his announcement ceremony at the Under Armour All American game, he's playing it off as if he hasn't committed yet. And rightly so. Kind of shitty of the LSU staff to leak the news to a recruiting agency.

This

This
    Well, poop.

sucks for sure. with all of this sec defensive dominance bs that is shoved down our throats constantly, i feel like we are going to lose out on top defensive recruits 9 times out of 10, especially on the d line. i think it is safe to say that is the case not only with ou, but with big 12 schools in general. big 12 stockpiles qb's and receivers because of the insane #'s that are put up in this league while the sec stockpiles d lineman and linebackers to stop their "pro style" offenses. it's hard for any of these dlineman to get recognized with all of the no huddle and screens and quick passing that goes on in the big 12.

Originally Posted by max fischer View Post
    sucks for sure. with all of this sec defensive dominance bs that is shoved down our throats constantly, i feel like we are going to lose out on top defensive recruits 9 times out of 10, especially on the d line. i think it is safe to say that is the case not only with ou, but with big 12 schools in general. big 12 stockpiles qb's and receivers because of the insane #'s that are put up in this league while the sec stockpiles d lineman and linebackers to stop their "pro style" offenses. it's hard for any of these dlineman to get recognized with all of the no huddle and screens and quick passing that goes on in the big 12.
    they'll get noticed when we (big 12) start winning. We need to beat atm, ksu needs to be oregon, and hopefully ND beats bama. winning builds credibility.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    they'll get noticed when we (big 12) start winning. We need to beat atm, ksu needs to be oregon, and hopefully ND beats bama. winning builds credibility.
    Very true. But unfortunately, the SEC not only wins but the college football media worships them more than they did USC in the mid 2000s. When every week you hear nothing but Alabama and LSU and Florida being so dominant and having stats shoved down your throat, recruits will obviously lean towards those schools. Not to mention, College Gameday more times than not will head down south to an SEC game; so their games are always on primetime. There was a time when we were raking in all the defensive studs, but now we're a school that rakes in wide receivers and quarterbacks. Thats good and all getting these top skill position players but Alabama has showed us that you don't need that. All you need is a great front 7, a solid secondary, a great offensive line, mediocre wide-receivers, a quarterback that can manage the game at a minimum, and you don't even need an Adrian Peterson at running back, all you need is a big power back that can lower his head and pick up 3 to 4 yards at a time.

Originally Posted by max fischer View Post
    Yes, recent Big XII d-lineman like Gerald McCoy and Suh were unnoticed and it hurt their draft ranking.

How many scholarships does OU have left to give out and is there enough for at least 3 more OL and 3 for DT? Do we need 1 more LB?
    There seems to be a lot talk of DBs being sought. How would there commits effect perhaps positions with more need?

6 or 7 more for certain. It's hard to get an absolute number as far as I can tell. And depending what happens over the next 6 weeks with defections, we could easily have a full class.

Ideally, I am still looking at 2 more DT's, 3 OL, 1 LB and 1 CB and then best available. I say all of that with not following recruiting that closely but I did crunch some numbers awhile back.

We could take 20+ in this year's class. More than likely, we have more scholarships available than we will have commitments.

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    6 or 7 more for certain. It's hard to get an absolute number as far as I can tell. And depending what happens over the next 6 weeks with defections, we could easily have a full class.

Ideally, I am still looking at 2 more DT's, 3 OL, 1 LB and 1 CB and then best available. I say all of that with not following recruiting that closely but I did crunch some numbers awhile back.
    With no additional attrition, we have 5 ships left, assumng Tee Shepard is coming. 16 given out. Of course, we will have some additional attrition, so it could go up to the 24-25 range.

I say we take the full 25.

By the time fall camp comes we will have room.

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    I say we take the full 25.

By the time fall camp comes we will have room.
    What do you know?

With no additional attrition, we have 5 ships left, assumng Tee Shepard is coming. 16 given out. Of course, we will have some additional attrition, so it could go up to the 24-25 range.
    I didn't count Tee Shepard. So yeah, counting him, 5 sounds right to me.

And it appears Drew Allen is transferring.

So it's currently at 6.

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    I didn't count Tee Shepard. So yeah, counting him, 5 sounds right to me.

And it appears Drew Allen is transferring.

So it's currently at 6.
    Sounds like we are pretty much in agreement on the numbers.