Fourth Quarter for Jarboe: Do You Care?

Posted 1248 day(s) ago 2644 Views 50 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2
    vCash

Fourth Quarter for Jarboe: Do You Care?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...logid=12#10787

It has been 2½ years since Josh Jarboe did something he shouldn't have and got kicked out of the Oklahoma football program

Are you ready to forgive him?

Nah, that's a silly question. He cost Bob Stoops some PR points was all. Stoops brought Jarboe to OU despite the kid's gun charges while in high school. Jarboe repaid him by freestyle rapping about guns and killing. The video hit the Internet, he hit the road.

The Sooners carried on just fine without him, playing for a national championship in what was supposed to be his freshman season. Some fans at the time held it against Stoops that Jarboe even showed up in Norman. But that was two Big 12 titles, a BCS victory and a Heisman Trophy ago.

So really, what's to forgive?

Better to ask: Are you ready to feel sorry for him?

Jarboe has resurfaced at Arkansas State, his fourth school in those 2½ years. From OU it was on to Troy. Jarboe sat out a season, was cited for harassment and disorderly conduct, then transferred to Northeast Mississippi Community College. He caught 42 passes for 495 yards and two touchdowns for the 5-4 Tigers last fall.

Now he's ready to try Div. I football again. Just maybe, he's also ready to account for his mistakes.

"I've never had a recruiting meeting like that before, where a kid is as emotional, breaking down and crying and just thinking that somebody is willing to listen to his story," Arkansas State coach Hugh Freeze told the Jonesboro sun. "It's up to him to rewrite his story, and we want to help alongside of that."

Dave Miller of the National Football Post noticed that quote and added: "Hopefully, this time Jarboe is able to realize his potential and make an impact at Arkansas State. More importantly, the hope here is that Jarboe finishes getting his education and that he's able to have a long, healthy life away from the spotlight."

What do you think?

Maybe you don't. Maybe you could care less about a dude you haven't thought about in 2½ years.

Or maybe you still resent what he did when he got to OU, or what he did to Stoops, and feel he's getting just what he deserves.

Maybe you feel he was just acting his age in a college dorm and, despite the gun charges, OU gave him too quick a hook. (Quick aside… A friend of mine who believes this to be the case pointed out just the other day that the Sooner basketball team takes the court to "Bring 'Em Out." The second line to that rap is "It's hard to yell when the barrels in ya mouth.")

Or maybe you're like me. You didn't blame OU for protecting itself at the time, particularly after its football coach had stuck his neck out for a troubled kid.

Just as you don't blame Freeze for sticking his out right now. You don't blame him for thinking Jarboe can still be a great player and an even better story, that maybe the fourth time's the charm.

Re: Fourth Quater for Jarboe: Do You Care?

I wish the kid the best and I hope he can get it together. It's just a shame he couldn't do that here. I don't know why any OU fan would have hard feelings.

vCash

I am happy with the WR corps we have in place now. Can't worry about woulda, coulda, shoulda......blah blah blah

vCash

Hope he does well. Wish he could have kept his head on straight and been a great player here.

vCash

I don't wish anything bad upon him, but I really don't care.

OMG where are you bruthaman!!!!!!!!! you and I fought over this guy, defend defend, defend. He was a "1000 times better person that Dusty"....**** Jarboe, once **** up, ok, 2 **** ups, hmmmmm ok? 3! how many chances do you get?

vCash

Originally Posted by H82Lose
    OMG where are you bruthaman!!!!!!!!! you and I fought over this guy, defend defend, defend. He was a "1000 times better person that Dusty"....**** Jarboe, once **** up, ok, 2 **** ups, hmmmmm ok? 3! how many chances do you get?

Hindsight is 20/20. Still doesn't change the fact that the guy got booted for rapping. And DD was allowed to comeback after nearly killing someone.

Not defending anybody(Jarboe, DD, Bruthaman). But I understand some of what Bruthaman was saying.

vCash

I really really hope he is taking his education seriously, other than that i have no opinion as people such as his self only exist on the periphery of my conscious.

vCash

Originally Posted by Turk

Hindsight is 20/20. Still doesn't change the fact that the guy got booted for rapping. And DD was allowed to comeback after nearly killing someone.

Not defending anybody(Jarboe, DD, Bruthaman). But I understand some of what Bruthaman was saying.
    Jarboe's handgun "crime" was a matter of public record. His rap also became public knowledge after it was posted to the internet.
    Bob's first comment on the incident was "its just a song". The next day, after talking to the Lawyers, he gave Jarboe the boot.
    It was a liability thing pure and simple. As far as I know most of Dusty's bad behavior was NOT a matter of public record so Stoops and the coaches could deny knowing about it. But I know you guys went over and over and over this and Brutha was convinced it was racial.

vCash

Dusty had already been here a while when his incident happened and appeared to work hard to make things right and get back in good graces. Jarboe came in with a couple strikes against him already and instead of working hard to show that he had matured and moved past that, he rapped about guns and killing and it went viral.

If Jarboe had come into the program clean and this had happened his sophomore or junior year, then I think he gets reprimanded and gets another chance.

Contrary to what Bruthaman argued, it was not race related. But then again, it was always about race with Bruthaman. Personally I hate when someone looks high and low for even the smallest thing to be offended about and everything is considered racist to them.

vCash

What about the OU players that put the video on the internet?

Knowing what the fallout could be, why did they do that? Wonder what their motivation was.

vCash

Originally Posted by PoncaCitySooner

Knowing what the fallout could be, why did they do that? Wonder what their motivation was.
    I doubt they knew what the fallout could be. They probably didn't think it beyond "this is entertaining". This is a problem many of this generation coming up now needs to be educated on. Privacy is a very difficult thing to maintain in today's world of facebook and twitter, what happens online can have very real consequences in the real world. Unfortunately for Josh, he learned this firsthand.

vCash

I'm in the "could care less" group on this one. Everyone deserves and extra chance....but I lose interest in a person's success after 2nd/3rd/etc. changes.

vCash

I thought it was a good rap...

vCash

Owens, Jarboe, and Miller. Oh what could have been.

Huh? My point is Bruthaman claimed it was all because Jarboe was black and DD was white. Although he would never admit this, it was obvious. I never said one was worse than the other as he did, it pissed me off that he was saying DD was a pile of shit and Jarboe got screwed over and BS played favorites. I told him then, lets see where Jarboe ends up, and look where he ended up. Now, lets judge. DD ****ed up major and messed his NFL career up. He has problems. Jarboe has not got anything together yet...that is my point.

vCash

I'd like to see Jarboe turn it around and become a success story.
    I feel the same way about Dusty.
    Jarboe hurt himself far more than he hurt the Sooners, and his intent was never to hurt OU. Young, immature, talented kid. I hate to see wasted talent, so I hope he gets things going the right way.

vCash

Originally Posted by PoncaCitySooner

Why would anyone post anything with their name or photo attached to it, to the internet?? Anyone in the world can look at facebook and computers never forget. Never. That stuff will be on those servers when you die.

vCash

I could not care less

I for one felt it was a big mistake for Stoops to give DD a second chance, given the violent nature of his transgressions. But they both proved me wrong. That told me that Stoops is a pretty good judge of people, he felt DD would do right - which he did for his remaining time at OU. Stoops got the benefit of a doubt from me so when he booted Jarboe I was fine with it; I would've been fine with Jarboe getting a 2nd chance if Stoops felt it was warranted, but he did not feel that it was - and once again he was right.

Bruthaman thought it was a simple matter of having a list of transgressions and associated punishments by which everybody would be judged and punished. But that is not how it works. You do it on a case by case basis.

vCash

This is old news. I couldn't care less.

vCash

Originally Posted by El Jefe
    This is old news. I couldn't care less.
    +1

That kid basically turned into just another football player as soon as he left campus. Yeah, he has a semi-interesting story, but so do a LOT of other kids. I couldn't care less.

vCash

Originally Posted by SleestakkSooner
    I for one felt it was a big mistake for Stoops to give DD a second chance, given the violent nature of his transgressions. But they both proved me wrong. That told me that Stoops is a pretty good judge of people, he felt DD would do right - which he did for his remaining time at OU. Stoops got the benefit of a doubt from me so when he booted Jarboe I was fine with it; I would've been fine with Jarboe getting a 2nd chance if Stoops felt it was warranted, but he did not feel that it was - and once again he was right.

Bruthaman thought it was a simple matter of having a list of transgressions and associated punishments by which everybody would be judged and punished. But that is not how it works. You do it on a case by case basis.

What he did at OU wasn't all that bad. What he did at the other schools makes Stoops look like a genius for kicking him out.

vCash

While I agree, I would argue Stoops' ability to judge character. I mean, he did bring the kid in. Why bring a kid in if you knew that the slightest transgression would have you giving him the boot. Seemed like a big waste of time to me. JMO

vCash

While I agree, I would argue Stoops' ability to judge character. I mean, he did bring the kid in. Why bring a kid in if you knew that the slightest transgression would have you giving him the boot. Seemed like a big waste of time to me. JMO
    I believe a lot of our kids go their entire career without committing even the slightest transgression and I would assume Bob figured Jarboe deserved a chance to follow that path.

I bet Demontre Hurst wouldn't do any of that!

LOL

vCash

Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner

I believe a lot of our kids go their entire career without committing even the slightest transgression and I would assume Bob figured Jarboe deserved a chance to follow that path.

Well the dude must put on a pretty good front. Cause he seems like he's pretty "in your face". Whatever though. Ancient history and OU's still doin fine.

vCash

Probably a little tl;dr for some, but a very well written article on the JJ saga by the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/sp...-nfl.html?_r=0

Bob did not kick Jarboe off the team because of the rap video.

vCash

Based on the article, it sounds like pressure from the boosters and OU admin is what forced Stoops hand. I wasn't on message boards and this board wasn't around when this incident when down, but I imagine this would cause one of the biggest meltdowns in board history if it occurred today.

What does he do if doesn't make a squad?

vCash

I guess I should care. SpankyNek thought I was funnier when Jarboe was my avatar.
    The following users like this post: SpankyNek

vCash

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Based on the article, it sounds like pressure from the boosters and OU admin is what forced Stoops hand. I wasn't on message boards and this board wasn't around when this incident when down, but I imagine this would cause one of the biggest meltdowns in board history if it occurred today.
    The Jarboe situation was the only thing Bob handled poorly during his tenure here as head coach and should've never let this guy on campus. Hell, his scholarship should've been yanked after the gun incident, but for whatever reason Bob had his head up his ass until it took Boren, Joe C, and the boosters to pull it out for him.

It was the Seniors on the team that made his happen.

Probably a little tl;dr for some, but a very well written article on the JJ saga by the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/sp...-nfl.html?_r=0
    That is a good article.

The video ignited an early national debate on privacy and social media.
    Never thought our little blog could create such social commentary.
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

vCash

I don't care, he was a Jarbonehead anyway

His father, a pimp, had 19 children with 6 different women.
    Anyway, good for Jarboe. He's getting a degree in psychology and may land on a roster somewhere.

vCash

Originally Posted by Balko View Post
    His father, a pimp, had 19 children with 6 different women.
    Anyway, good for Jarboe. He's getting a degree in psychology and may land on a roster somewhere.
    That didn't really help things very much in the maturation process.

Can he play defense?

It caused a pretty good meltdown, but it wasn't epic. Remember, there were a good portion of fans who thought he never should have been on campus, so the situation wasn't the most shocking thing in the world. There was a little back and forth about whether this was that big a deal to be booted, and then bruthaman saying it was just a rap video and the whole thing was racist.
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

vCash

Originally Posted by TIMB0B View Post
    What does he do if doesn't make a squad?
    FWIW: Last December, he also earned a degree in psychology.

man where is bruthaman? I was banned from OUI because bruthaman and I got got in a discussion over Jarboe. He always said Dusty was a horrible person, and he did much worse than Jarboe and that Jarboe was 10x the man Dusty is. Ahhhh the good ol days....

vCash

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    man where is bruthaman? I was banned from OUI because bruthaman and I got got in a discussion over Jarboe. He always said Dusty was a horrible person, and he did much worse than Jarboe and that Jarboe was 10x the man Dusty is. Ahhhh the good ol days....
    Dusty did do much worse than Jarboe.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    ok. thanks.

vCash

He could have been big time here, but had to learn the hard way.

I hope the kid makes it in the NFL.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Of course he did. Dusty actually, physically, seriously hurt someone. Jarboe didn't. Both Dusty and Jarboe, it seems, have gone on to good.

Originally Posted by Balko View Post
    Dusty actually, physically, seriously hurt someone.
    Out of all of the player's of the Stoops era, Dusty's the guy I would least want to **** around with. That dude was scary.

vCash

Can't believe he couldn't make it at my alma mater, there were at least 3 players that carried below a .5 gpa in my senior year!!!