***New York Yankees Thread: Printing Money, Winning Rings

Posted 780 day(s) ago by usaosooner5264 Views 96 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    After remaining quiet on the free-agent front for the first few days of the winter meetings, the New York Yankees made some noise on the last day with a one-year, $12 million offer to third baseman Kevin Youkilis, sources said.

More On The Yankees

Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

The Yankees are one option for the 33-year-old free agent. The Cleveland Indians, the new home of Youkilis' former manager in Boston, Terry Francona, also are interested, a source told ESPN.com. Youkilis made $12.25 million last season when he hit .235 with 19 home runs and 60 RBIs for Boston and the Chicago White Sox, who acquired him in June.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman declined to say whether he has made Youkilis an offer.

The Yankees are trying to lure Youkilis to replace Alex Rodriguez, who will undergo surgery on the labrum in his left hip in mid-January and is expected to need four to six months of recovery.

The Yankees initially were interested in free agents Jeff Keppinger and Eric Chavez to form a platoon at third. The Yankees discussed a two-year, $10 million deal with Keppinger's agent, according to a source, but he accepted a three-year deal worth $12 million from the Chicago White Sox. Chavez, who spent the last two seasons in New York as Rodriguez's backup, agreed to a one-year deal worth $3 million with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Youkilis a Yankee? I don't know how I feel about that.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ankees-sources

Originally Posted by ourn View Post
    Youkilis a Yankee? I don't know how I feel about that.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ankees-sources
    Will Take

They just signed YOUKA!

The whole getting younger thing is lost on the Yankees. I get the feeling George's boys are more about bottom line than spending to get good free agents. I hope they have a good farm system and young prospects because right now, I don't see them doing very well in the next few years.

ewyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?c_id=nyy&content_id=40939738&partnerId =aw-4885747155316276902-1038&vkey=news_nyy&ymd=20130112

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has removed his walking boot and is beginning to work out at the team's Minor League complex in Tampa, Fla., according to general manager Brian Cashman.

Jeter had surgery after fracturing his left ankle in the American League Championship Series against the Tigers, and was in a non-weight-bearing cast for approximately six weeks following the Oct. 20 procedure.

"He's doing fine," Cashman said. "All the boots are off. He's allowed to walk around now in shoes and stuff, but he's not doing any running. He's at the complex and they have an underwater treadmill, so he's doing some walking underwater.

"Sometime in mid-to-late January, he'll be cleared for some baseball activities; hitting and fielding. He won't be doing any running until the very back end of this. That's the plan so far, and he's doing well."

The prognosis given by the Yankees at the time of the surgery said that the expected recovery time would be four to five months.

Jeter said recently that he expects to be in the Yankees' Opening Day lineup, and Cashman said that the organization expects Jeter to be playing shortstop against the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium on April 1.

Cashman said that Jeter will be continuing to return from the injury as Spring Training begins, joining a group of rehabbing veterans that also includes ace CC Sabathia (left elbow surgery) and closer Mariano Rivera (right knee surgery).

"[Jeter] was always expected to be behind in Spring Training, and he's always been expected to be 100 percent ready to go as our starting shortstop when the regular season starts," Cashman said. "CC and him, and probably Mo, they'll start slowly and finish strong."

Jeter, who turns 39 in June, batted .316 with 15 home runs and 58 RBIs in 159 games for the Yankees in 2012, leading the Major Leagues with 216 hits.

A-Rod could miss the entire season. damn

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has publicly acknowledged what many have been whispering about behind closed doors: Alex Rodriguez could potentially miss the entire 2013 season.

Cashman spoke with New York City radio station WFAN on Friday and said there was a ‘chance’ his $30 million, 37 year old third baseman might not play at all in the upcoming season, according to Yankees.com.

A-Rod underwent hip surgery January 16th to fix three issues: a torn labrum, a bone impingement and a cyst on his hip.

It is, though, still possible that his rehab will be completed within six months, as initially thought.

The Yankees have signed former Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis to a one-year, $12-million deal – meaning the pinstripes will spend at least $42 million to cover the hot-corner this year.

http://wibx950.com/cashman-alex-rodr...entire-season/

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    A-Rod could miss the entire season. damn

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has publicly acknowledged what many have been whispering about behind closed doors: Alex Rodriguez could potentially miss the entire 2013 season.

Cashman spoke with New York City radio station WFAN on Friday and said there was a ‘chance’ his $30 million, 37 year old third baseman might not play at all in the upcoming season, according to Yankees.com.

A-Rod underwent hip surgery January 16th to fix three issues: a torn labrum, a bone impingement and a cyst on his hip.

It is, though, still possible that his rehab will be completed within six months, as initially thought.

The Yankees have signed former Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis to a one-year, $12-million deal – meaning the pinstripes will spend at least $42 million to cover the hot-corner this year.

http://wibx950.com/cashman-alex-rodr...entire-season/
    Their prospects for 2013 just got a lot better

SoonerBounce Guest

A-Rod underwent hip surgery January 16th to fix three issues: a torn labia, a boner impingement and a cyst on his nip.
    fixed

A-Fraud

not really impressed with anything the Yankees have done so far. they are just older. It's looking more and more the A-Rod isn't going to be back at all, which I don't think is such a bad thing. I miss the old free spending days of George.

‏@KNegandhiESPN
    First 5 weeks of the reg season.. RT @Yankees: BREAKING: @cgrand14 will be sidelined for 10 weeks with a fractured right forearm. #Yankees

is pineda gonna be back this season

Last thing I heard was Pineda would start throwing in May and hoped to start pitching in June or July.

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    O-R-I-O-L-E-S! Orioles!

Ya know, the O's fans scream "O" during the National anthem during the second stanza "O say can you see."
    Speaking of fans screaming during the national anthem, what do you guys think when everyone yells "SOONERS" at the end instead of "brave"? I have mixed opinions about it.

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    Speaking of fans screaming during the national anthem, what do you guys think when everyone yells "SOONERS" at the end instead of "brave"? I have mixed opinions about it.
    I like it.

In Tampa tomorrow for Red Sox-Yankees. My first trip to Steinbrenner Field. Looking forward to it. ESPN2 at noon central.

#OpeningDay lineup:
    Gardner CF
    Nunez SS
    Cano 2B
    Youkilis 1B
    Wells LF
    Francisco DH
    Ichiro RF
    Nix 3B
    Cervelli C
    Sabathia P

Sabathia with a good start. To the bottom of the 1st

Going to be a long, long long year

Woot didn't get swept. Nice to see the Sandman

Woot didn't get swept. Nice to see the Sandman
    Ryan Dempster... Well, that's better than John Lackey giving up 9 in 2.2 innings pitched with 8 hits, 3 HR and 5 BB.

Glad to see the Orioles looking down at the Yankees in the Standings for a change.

Yeah, still **** the Yankees.

Phil Hughes needs to go away.

Going to be a long, long long year
    I figured so, too. But 2 games back without Jeter, Texiera and Granderson is pretty right now. Pitching likely to be downfall.

Originally Posted by NickDangerThirdEye View Post
    I figured so, too. But 2 games back without Jeter, Texiera and Granderson is pretty right now. Pitching likely to be downfall.
    Im not expecting this to last at all

Reading the Yankee lineup you'd think they just grabbed a bunch of kids off the streets of Hoboken. Injuries all over the place. It's starting to catch up with them.

The whole offseason was a joke. They didn't have to go all Georgey and sign huge freeagent contracts... but they basically did nothing and hoped the smoke and mirrors would carry them through the season. That they've done as well as they have is probably a surprise - especially with Granderson and Tex going back on the DL.

They're one of the biggest franchises in sport and currently it seems like management wants to run them like a middle of the pack small market squad.

We have tickets to watch a couple of games next month in Arlington. It could be truly ugly. We'll definitely need a line up card to know who in the hell is playing.
    The following users like this post: usaosooner

Originally Posted by NickDangerThirdEye View Post
    Reading the Yankee lineup you'd think they just grabbed a bunch of kids off the streets of Hoboken. Injuries all over the place. It's starting to catch up with them.
    yea every day i see the lineup tweeted i just smh.

Just got back from a week in New York. Went to a couple of games at The Stadium.

For your Enjoyment..

http://i.imgur.com/Bf5FS9Q.jpg

The boys are making a little run lately!