Disney buys Lucas Films: Star Wars Catch All Thread

Posted 1910 day(s) ago by usaousooner203402 Views 1848 Replies
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1849
Page 31 of 37 21 29 30 31 32 33
    Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    We saw Luke be incompetent a lot in the first 2 movies also. About the only thing he did right was destroy the death star in the first 2 movies.
    About the only thing he did right was destroy the largest weapon ever created in the galaxy while hip firing a torpedo flying down a canyon w/Vader on his ass?
    3 users like oucub23's post: Bear_Jew, OUMarty, theend

3 users like VUGear's post: oucub23, SoonernVolved, Spade1000

Originally Posted by VUGear View Post
    Dudes gone. They need to let Vader go andove on.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    For arguments sake, how did he destroy the order? Tell Snoke where they were and let him wipe them out? Force Luke into hiding, or is Luke in a self-imposed exile? B/c it sounds awesome to be called Jedi Killer.
    We don't know. What we do know is Kylo Ren is the reason behind Luke's new Jedi Order being destroyed and that he trained directly under him. We know Luke went into exile to escape, find the first Jedi temple, and regroup.

Luke figured stuff out really quickly...
    Training with Jedi Masters.

A New Hope
    - deflected blaster fire blind training with Obi-Wan
    - destroyed the Death Star without a targeting computer with Obi-Wan's guidance

Empire Strikes Back
    - grabs the his lightsaber with the Force to kill the snow man
    - trains for an unknown time with one of the greatest Jedi Masters
    - fights Darth Vader surviving being frozen using force jump in a duel where he loses his hand
    - calls out to Leia with the Force

Return of the Jedi
    - uses force choke and Jedi mind tricks at Jabba's palace

Force Awakens
    - Rey flies the Falcon (Luke was established to be a great pilot like his father while Rey wasn't)
    - uses Jedi mind tricks (Luke doesn't use until after training with Yoda)
    - uses force lift (Luke didn't use until ESB with presumed months of training since after ANH)
    - duels Kylo Ren (Luke didn't duel Vader until after training with Yoda)

I find it hard to believe Rey is stronger in the Force than the son of Anakin Skywalker or even Anakin himself with no training whatsoever.

Anakin was just a wee little shit as opposed to Rey. And he did win a pod race and blow up an entire fleet of robots after flying a starship through a damn near impossible gauntlet.
    Anakin was also a child of the Force. He had the quick reflexes needed and was good at learning things very quickly. He went on to be the best star pilot in the galaxy. Luke was said to be the best pilot in the Outer Rims. Rey we know nothing about and it's assumed she doesn't have the experience piloting anything yet she jumps into the Falcon no problem.

..-. .- -.-. - ... --- ...- . .-. ..-. . . .-.. .. -. --. ...
    2 users like Muscletang's post: SoonerLibertarian, Spade1000

Originally Posted by Muscletang View Post
    -
    And still had to be saved by Solo or he would've froze to death
    The following users like this post: Spade1000

We don't know. What we do know is Kylo Ren is the reason behind Luke's new Jedi Order being destroyed and that he trained directly under him. We know Luke went into exile to escape, find the first Jedi temple, and regroup.

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back
    - fights Darth Vader surviving being frozen using force jump in a duel where he loses his hand

Return of the Jedi

Force Awakens
    - Rey flies the Falcon (Luke was established to be a great pilot like his father while Rey wasn't)
    - uses force lift (Luke didn't use until ESB with presumed months of training since after ANH)

I find it hard to believe Rey is stronger in the Force than the son of Anakin Skywalker or even Anakin himself with no training whatsoever.

Anakin was also a child of the Force. He had the quick reflexes needed and was good at learning things very quickly. He went on to be the best star pilot in the galaxy. Luke was said to be the best pilot in the Outer Rims. Rey we know nothing about and it's assumed she doesn't have the experience piloting anything yet she jumps into the Falcon no problem.

Luke did not use a force choke.

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    Luke did not use a force choke.
    So how did he get past the two Gamorrean guards when he enters Jabba's palace? The ones clutching at their throats when Luke motions them out of the way?
    3 users like OrionJc's post: AcousticSoup, SportyJames, thatsoonerfan89

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Force Awakens

Listen Traber, give the girl, and the story, a chance. The preview hints towards Luke seeing incredible power in her as a youngling.

(Luke didn't duel Vader until after training with Yoda)

Remind me, does Luke have two real hands or one?

Originally Posted by OrionJc View Post
    So how did he get past the two Gamorrean guards when he enters Jabba's palace? The ones clutching at their throats when Luke motions them out of the way?
    To me it looks like just a slight force push. His hand is open, where as when Vader uses it he clasps his thumb and forefinger into a circle. Plus Force Choke is a Sith technique. Luke could have learned it on his own but there is no evidence of this in the cannon that I am aware of. So did he train with the Sith secretly while planning Hans rescue with the alliance? I dont buy that Luke is a sith in ROTJ.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Listen Traber, give the girl, and the story, a chance. The preview hints towards Luke seeing incredible power in her as a youngling.
    I'm sorry I offended you and your Disney fandom.

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    Missed.

To me it looks like just a slight force push. His hand is open, where as when Vader uses it he clasps his thumb and forefinger into a circle. Plus Force Choke is a Sith technique. Luke could have learned it on his own but there is no evidence of this in the cannon that I am aware of. So did he train with the Sith secretly while planning Hans rescue with the alliance? I dont buy that Luke is a sith in ROTJ.
    The Star Wars Wikipedia (Wookieepedia) says he used a Force choke.

The novel of Return of the Jedi states he did.

"Luke raised his hand and pointed at the guards. Before either could draw a weapon, they were both clutching their own throats, choking, gasping. They fell to their knees. Luke lowered his hand and walked on. The guards, suddenly able to breathe again, slumped to the sanddrifted steps. They didn't follow."

He used a Force choke.

I always thought that was known. It has been a debate on why he did it, if doing it while wearing a dark cloak was to symbolise his struggle with the Dark Side, and things of that nature.

4 users like Muscletang's post: beelzeBob, Rufus T Firefly, SoonernVolved, Spade1000

I'm sorry I offended you and your Disney fandom.

Missed.

"Luke raised his hand and pointed at the guards. Before either could draw a weapon, they were both clutching their own throats, choking, gasping. They fell to their knees. Luke lowered his hand and walked on. The guards, suddenly able to breathe again, slumped to the sanddrifted steps. They didn't follow."

He used a Force choke.

I always thought that was known. It has been a debate on why he did it, if doing it while wearing a dark cloak was to symbolise his struggle with the Dark Side, and things of that nature.

Nice job having an actual discussion about something.

He used a Force choke.

Never saw those sources. If that stuff is cannon I'll accept it. I bow to your star wars nerd domination.
    2 users like beelzeBob's post: Spade1000, Sugasean

Never saw those sources. If that stuff is cannon I'll accept it. I bow to your star wars nerd domination.
    Go back and watch Return. It’s pretty clearly a choke. A lot of things about Luke in Return point to him being Sith, and some pretty sound fan theories are that he was supposed to fall but didn’t bc of toys.

About the only thing he did right was destroy the largest weapon ever created in the galaxy while hip firing a torpedo flying down a canyon w/Vader on his ass?
    Wamp rat practice, mang.

I don't want to defend the TFA too much, because it was such a lazily-written, "let's play it safe and get paid" movie, but it was my understanding that Rey DID have training - maybe even a lot of it. But those memories were suppressed when she was abandoned on Jakku, and were "awoken" during the course of the movie. In that context, beating a severely injured Kylo makes much more sense. The piloting of the Millennium Falcon is still a big stretch.
    2 users like AquariumDrinker's post: RockFlagandEagle, Squad

Originally Posted by theend View Post
    You need to chill lol

Reread your second paragraph

You are making assumptions about Rey that nobody knows. Everything you said of anakon could be true or more for Rey. We don't know yet.

Why do you just accept that Luke was a good pilot but Rey can't be?

Don't you see the irony in you saying well anakin was a child of the force and was a quick learner but for some reason that can't possibly be true of Rey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What he's saying is that with both Luke and Anakin there was a learning curve whether it be with the force or piloting. Luke and Anakin both piloted small craft on Tatooine and so had a base knowledge when it came to piloting larger, but not big, craft. Even then, there was a bit of a learning curve for them. Not for Rey. She hops into the Falcon and is immediately able to outrun and outmaneuver stormtroopers in TIE fighters. And when Rey first gets to the ****pit, the little pep talk she gives herself makes it seem as if she doesn't really know how to pilot a large craft like that.

As far as the Jedi stuff, there's no learning curve for there either. She has a mastery of skills it took Luke and Anakin a couple of movies to learn. Again, she has all the power, all the knowledge, and all the skill that anyone has ever had in the history of ever. A Mary Sue.
    2 users like traxx's post: Muscletang, Spade1000

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    What he's saying is that with both Luke and Anakin there was a learning curve whether it be with the force or piloting. Luke and Anakin both piloted small craft on Tatooine and so had a base knowledge when it came to piloting larger, but not big, craft. Even then, there was a bit of a learning curve for them. Not for Rey. She hops into the Falcon and is immediately able to outrun and outmaneuver stormtroopers in TIE fighters. And when Rey first gets to the ****pit, the little pep talk she gives herself makes it seem as if she doesn't really know how to pilot a large craft like that.

As far as the Jedi stuff, there's no learning curve for there either. She has a mastery of skills it took Luke and Anakin a couple of movies to learn. Again, she has all the power, all the knowledge, and all the skill that anyone has ever had in the history of ever. A Mary Sue.
    I believe in TFA that she mentions having flown some smaller ships on Jakku but has never left the planet. So she likely had some of the same base knowledge of flying that Anakin/Luke originally had. IMO, her flying the Millennium Falcon as a 19-20 year old is on the same level as a 9 year old Anakin winning a podrace. It's possible that she even has more raw potential that Anakin or Luke had originally based on what Luke says in the trailer.
    The following users like this post: beelzeBob

Star Wars had kind of lost me with Rey's immediate mastery level of the force. But they pulled me back in with one simple moment....

6 users like soonervegas's post: AquariumDrinker, cbsooner, Keef, krypton, RockFlagandEagle, SoonernVolved

When they show she was trained as a child, can we drop the Mary Sue stuff?
    The following users like this post: Keef

Rey is either a Skywalker or a force creation like Anakin. Either way she's very powerful and she did have training as a child that was suppressed with a memory wipe.
    The following users like this post: NWOSURanger

Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Rey is either a Skywalker or a force creation like Anakin. Either way she's very powerful and she did have training as a child that was suppressed with a memory wipe.
    So now she's a droid?

Plot twist: she's C3P0's daughter.
    2 users like traxx's post: Spade1000, theend

IIRC Kylo is looking for a girl or it's mentioned once or twice something about a girl in TFA, right? So we will get the back story of Rey's training and her escaping the blood bath at the temple. Had her memory repressed and now it's back. blah blah blah. My kids freakin' love it. I loved it as a kid. I still love it. It's easier to punch holes in now because I'm not 8-10 years old, but still. Pretty entertaining stuff.

Go back and watch Return. It’s pretty clearly a choke. A lot of things about Luke in Return point to him being Sith, and some pretty sound fan theories are that he was supposed to fall but didn’t bc of toys.

I rewatched it before I posted. Doesn't look the same as when Vader uses it.

I rewatched it before I posted. Doesn't look the same as when Vader uses it.
    Yea, he doesn't have to use his hand to do it, but the reaction of the guard is the same.

Originally Posted by AquariumDrinker View Post
    I don't want to defend the TFA too much, because it was such a lazily-written, "let's play it safe and get paid" movie, but it was my understanding that Rey DID have training - maybe even a lot of it. But those memories were suppressed when she was abandoned on Jakku, and were "awoken" during the course of the movie. In that context, beating a severely injured Kylo makes much more sense. The piloting of the Millennium Falcon is still a big stretch.

Annikan was piloting Starfighters like a jedi ace even though it was his first time even sitting in the ****pit. Destroyed a whole fleet almost by accident.
    4 users like beelzeBob's post: AquariumDrinker, Bear_Jew, oucub23, theend

Originally Posted by AquariumDrinker View Post
    Yea, until we know her entire backstory, I think its a stretch to make assertions about what she should or shouldn't be capable of. Again, if they had developed her character more, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

But do we even know how old she was when she was abandoned? We know nothing about her life before...all we know is that she was waiting for someone to return, and we can make guesses about who that was. Could easily have been Luke who grabbed her before Kylo killed the academy and dropped her off there with a different name and identity to protect her. Maybe she has already been through a large part of her training, but cant remember for one reason or another.
    The following users like this post: Bear_Jew

Surprised no one has counted the marks on her wall and back counted to try to guess her age

The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle

Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    Yea, until we know her entire backstory, I think its a stretch to make assertions about what she should or shouldn't be capable of. Again, if they had developed her character more, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

But do we even know how old she was when she was abandoned? We know nothing about her life before...all we know is that she was waiting for someone to return, and we can make guesses about who that was. Could easily have been Luke who grabbed her before Kylo killed the academy and dropped her off there with a different name and identity to protect her. Maybe she has already been through a large part of her training, but cant remember for one reason or another.
    A lot of that is because of JJ and his love of mysteries. It goes back to Lost. The guy loves setting up a mystery more than actually paying it off. He sets up these mysteries with the thought of "We'll worry about the payoff later. That's future guy's problem."
    2 users like traxx's post: RockFlagandEagle, Rufus T Firefly

A lot of that is because of JJ and his love of mysteries. It goes back to Lost. The guy loves setting up a mystery more than actually paying it off. He sets up these mysteries with the thought of "We'll worry about the payoff later. That's future guy's problem."
    No doubt!

This is my least favorite thing about today's storytelling. Too many open questions and not enough answers.

There's some truth to that, no doubt. As a huge fan of LOST, it must be said...JJ had little to nothing to do with it beyond directing the pilot and telling Damon Lindelof that there needed to be a smoke monster and at some point, a mysterious hatch. Lindelof (and a little later fellow showrunner Carlton Cuse) were responsible for both the genius and madness of that show. Lindelof recently showed his creative skills with the excellent Leftovers on HBO, while Cuse had Bates Motel...those guys have chops, while JJ was remaking Star Wars Ep 4 as Ep 7.

On LOST, after having almost nothing to do with the success of the series at the time, prior to the season 3 premiere (and early S3 story arc) JJ said to (suggested, or told) Lindelof and Cuse to put Jack, Sawyer and Kate in cages. That ended up being the most criticized period of the entire series until the series finale. He also had them shove a random old woman named "Amelia" into the S3 premiere that never showed up again. Cuz... Amelia Earhart...'member?

JJ was also responsible for the most redundant elements on Fringe. He basically forced those showrunners to create "super soldiers" that ultimately weren't ever well explained. A direct lift from the X-Files. He even literally had a scene from the X Files put (shoehorned) in the episode he was writing/directing (might have been season 2 premiere). Memberberries.

The guy doesn't really have any original ideas. He plucks the nostalgia heartstrings...with a bunch of lens flares. Even Super 8, maybe his most original offering (wrote, directed), is basically an outright Spielberg aping.

I'm no big Trekker and don't really want to get started on Star Trek. But I thought the 09 movie was basically a good movie but the sequel was a turd, IMO. The third movie (basically no involvement from JJ) pleased hardcore fans more than the others.

I fear Ep 9, in all seriousness, will be ROTJ redone. So...IMO, we can either blame JJ for being a duck consistently quacking like a duck or blame Disney and Kennedy and those responsible for hiring the duck.

P.S.
    I find the best part of this sequel series thus far to be Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley. They cast the parts well, regardless of specific character motivation or plot points. Particularly Driver, who is really believable as a son of Han/Leia who turned to the Dark Side. He is pulling it off well. As for if they're actually using him correctly...we'll see where it goes.
    The following users like this post: traxx

How much do the directors of a movie influence the story? I've always wondered. The story is usually already written isn't it? I always figured it was the director's job to put the story to film in convincing fashion.

I'm thinking of the Han Solo movie now. They changed directors to Ron Howard. I doubt Howard retold the story. I figured the execs already had the story and there were creative differences they had with the original directors as to how that would unfold on screen. I admit I know nothing of the film industry and that it's wishful thinking on my part that the director isn't the deciding factor into whether a movie is good or not.

How much do the directors of a movie influence the story? I've always wondered. The story is usually already written isn't it? I always figured it was the director's job to put the story to film in convincing fashion.

I'm thinking of the Han Solo movie now. They changed directors to Ron Howard. I doubt Howard retold the story. I figured the execs already had the story and there were creative differences they had with the original directors as to how that would unfold on screen. I admit I know nothing of the film industry and that it's wishful thinking on my part that the director isn't the deciding factor into whether a movie is good or not.
    Depends on the director.

Abrams co-wrote TFA with Lawrence Kasdan which actually translates to: Kasdan probably wrote a really good script and Abrams came in and jj'd it up. Kasdan wrote The Empire Strikes Back. Yeah, it has a writing credit from Leigh Brackett but from what I've read that the credit was more out of respect than anything. Lucas didn't like her script but she died of cancer before he could give her notes. Kasdan's script is pretty much completely different than what Brackett turned in. Kasdan also wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark which is a clinic on scriptwriting. I'm sure whatever he wrote for TFA didn't have enough mystery boxes for JJ.

Han Solo sounded more like an issue of directorial style. Rumors were that Lord/Miller were employing an improv heavy set, which works when you are doing 21 Jump Street or the Lego Movie, not so much when you're working on a Star Wars Script written by Lawrence Kasdan. So the problem was really that they weren't doing the story justice.

"I love you too."

That was Han's response to Leia in the Empire Strikes Back script. Irvin Kershner said he hated that as it gave the woman the upper hand so he had Harrison Ford utter his famous line.

The following users like this post: Mixer!

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    The first duel he had two real hands, then had one removed in said duel,(in which he got his butt soundly thrashed in by Vader). The second one, he wore a black glove to hide the damage to his artificial hand & was more equal to Vader hence him winning.

Originally Posted by SoonernVolved View Post
    The first duel he had two real hands, then had one removed in said duel,(in which he got his butt soundly thrashed in by Vader). The second one, he wore a black glove to hide the damage to his artificial hand & was more equal to Vader hence him winning.
    Yeah the whole point was that he didn't duel Vader only after training with Yoda.

Well, you have to admit that Kylo couldn't hold Vader's jock strap in a fight,. He could come close, but he really is too raw in some things.
    This makes you think, how was he able to wipe out all the Jedi trainees? Was it because he had the numbers on his side? Or Luke wasn't there?
    Did Luke give up and leave because he didin't want to kill his Nephew?

It makes you think that Rey is related to Obi-wan in some way.
    Last edited by NWOSURanger; October 12th, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

Originally Posted by NWOSURanger View Post
    It make you think that Ren is some relation to Obi-wan.
    You mean Rey?
    The following users like this post: NWOSURanger

I've been reading theories about Ren and Rey wiping out the Sith and Jedi, because the Force is balance. Supposedly, being allied to the dark or light side is equally bad. That would make a great story in my opinion. Basically, if you need to Force choke a mf out, do it to bring balance. If you need to perform a good deed to bring balance, do that as well. Interesting theory.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

An adventure about red cups.
    The following users like this post: Bear_Jew

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post

Soundtrack by Toby Keith
    The following users like this post: theend

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post

Stupid name. I was hoping for "The Nerf Herder."

Stupid name. I was hoping for "The Nerf Herder."
    You can't use that word! Only we can use that word.
    The following users like this post: beelzeBob

Found this on Reddit. Put up at a local theater. The plot thickens...

The following users like this post: cbsooner