Anyone have the Genie from DTV

Posted 540 day(s) ago by macdaddybuff5078 Views 83 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    vCash

Who is the chick on the genie commercial?

vCash
    Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

Originally Posted by SoonerDude View Post
    Mac, I saw somewhere they were going to add the ability to watch Youtube videos and listen to Pandora on this with a software update. Has that happened yet?
    it wouldn't surprise me... the Hopper has a "apps" feature as well. Pandora is in there, but no youtube yet. I would imagine both of them will get updates over time.

vCash

Mac, I saw somewhere they were going to add the ability to watch Youtube videos and listen to Pandora on this with a software update. Has that happened yet?
    sorry did not see your reply let me look. I have a vizo co star that I do that on so normally would not use the genie for that. The co star does so much more and it flippng rocks..
    Yup it does

vCash

Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    sorry did not see your reply let me look. I have a vizo co star that I do that on so normally would not use the genie for that. The co star does so much more and it flippng rocks..
    Yup it does

I just bought a Netgear NeoTV for my master bedroom to use for Pandora and other streaming options as well.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    iCarly had its series finale in 2012 so you can delete that from the ol' dvr. 'Lessens you wanting to record repeats.
    That was probably a bad example. They record all of those stupid Disney/Nick kid's series.

I have 2 Roku boxes in my house and still can't believe they don't have an official Youtube app for it yet. The new Time-Warner cable deal for Roku is pretty cool for people in Time-Warner Cable areas.

vCash

Re: Anyone have the Genie from DTV

If roku had Google Play movies would of def went that route. I like how cheap it is and all the things it can do.

Sent by My Bad Ass Note 2

I got my 12 year old daughter a Roku for Christmas. She told me last night she never watches regular TV anymore. I have a media server with quite a bit of content, plus Netflix, Crackle, etc.

vCash

Originally Posted by CobraKai View Post
    I got my 12 year old daughter a Roku for Christmas. She told me last night she never watches regular TV anymore. I have a media server with quite a bit of content, plus Netflix, Crackle, etc.
    I bought a Roku and then not long afterwards got a PS3. Now I don't even use the Roku.

With an antenna, a roku or other device and various apps I think folks could live without cable . . .

vCash

I have 2 Roku boxes in my house and still can't believe they don't have an official Youtube app for it yet. The new Time-Warner cable deal for Roku is pretty cool for people in Time-Warner Cable areas.
    I was set to get a Roku but the NeoTV was cheaper and seemed to have more options AND a full qwerty keyboard on the back of the remote... Although, with everything it DOES have, they still don't have a deal with HBOGo. lol. But, I imagine all that stuff is fluid and could change as new agreements are made.

I really got it for a stable, dedicated Pandora stream for my master bedroom setup, which is where my whole-home system is run from, so the NeoTV definitely works great for that.

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    I bought a Roku and then not long afterwards got a PS3. Now I don't even use the Roku.

With an antenna, a roku or other device and various apps I think folks could live without cable . . .
    I have a buddy that is completely "off the grid" now. He uses the combination of an HD Homerun, HD Antennae, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Netflix, Plex Home Media Server, etc to stream 100% of his TV content, all in HD.

Thinking about calling to cancel my DirecTV. When they ask why, going to say switching to THA HOPPA! (just like that as I sit in my Puma wind suit). Do you think they would then offer me a Genie?

Another reason why I love this new smart TV! Has all the sweet apps built in, I don't even use the hopper apps anymore. DLNA to stream/play the stuff on other computers or server in the house too!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Surely VUGear has some pictures of the Genie model in a compromising postion?

vCash

I had been using Windows Media Center since 2008 as my main DVR. I love it and would still be using it today if I could.

We just moved to a house that uses Allegiance Cable out of Shawnee. Their CableTV would not work with my QAM tuner I already had (It only found a handful of their stations). So I bought a dual tuner cablecard tuner for my PC. Their techs brought out 2 different cablecards and never could get them to activate. Spent hours on the phone with their tech support and they determined their system wasn't compatible with a PC based cablecard tuner.
    That's bullshit dude, cablecards are universal, if they work with a TV or Tivo, they'll work with PC cablecard. Cable companies just don't know how to set them up. You can file a report with the FCC and light a fire under their butts. If you get the Ceton InfiniTV you can record 4 shows at once from a cablecard. They're supposed to be shipping a 6 tuner version sometime in the next year. I love my Mediacenters, I have one on each TV in the house.

vCash

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Thinking about calling to cancel my DirecTV. When they ask why, going to say switching to THA HOPPA! (just like that as I sit in my Puma wind suit). Do you think they would then offer me a Genie?
    Nope . . . . at least not unless you're willing to pay for it and extend your contract.

vCash

Originally Posted by CobraKai View Post
    I have a buddy that is completely "off the grid" now. He uses the combination of an HD Homerun, HD Antennae, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Netflix, Plex Home Media Server, etc to stream 100% of his TV content, all in HD.
    Including sports? I could probably do that too if I could get ESPN, Fox Sports Net, etc.
    The following users like this post: Sooners2007

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    That's bullshit dude, cablecards are universal, if they work with a TV or Tivo, they'll work with PC cablecard. Cable companies just don't know how to set them up. You can file a report with the FCC and light a fire under their butts. If you get the Ceton InfiniTV you can record 4 shows at once from a cablecard. They're supposed to be shipping a 6 tuner version sometime in the next year. I love my Mediacenters, I have one on each TV in the house.
    Elaborate on your setup if you don't mind...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

vCash

Do most cable companies provide the cablecards that are required to use PCI devices like the InfiniTV?

This is a rural cable company, the FCC is always more lenient on the small town cable and telephone companies because of their limited resources. They only send techs out M-F 8am - 5pm. I had to miss work to try to get this working the first time, and with their idiotic techs, I'd likely have to take more time off until they finally got it working. Not worth it to me. Their internet is horribad too so I'm just canceling all of their services.

I called Direct last night to tell them I was switching to Dish. They dropped my bill $25/month for the same programming plus gave me the genie for free plus a 2nd HD receiver for free. Could have done better switching to Dish outright but I prefer Direct and like having access to Sunday Ticket.

vCash

I dropped DirecTV back in July and got Dish. I like the Hopper setup and I most definitely love the sling adapter but DTV offered me 700 dollars in credits to switch back yesterday. I turned it down because they still can't stream live sports or any channels I watch for that matter outside of LAN.

Obviously, I could buy a Vulkano or the full Slingbox but it's the principle of it...

HELP!

I also have Allegiance Communications. I live in Ft Gibson, OK, and Allegiance Communications is giving me the run around while I am trying to get their cable card paired with my Ceton Infinitv4 USB. Do you have any advice?

vCash

Originally Posted by dathan-alley View Post
    I also have Allegiance Communications. I live in Ft Gibson, OK, and Allegiance Communications is giving me the run around while I am trying to get their cable card paired with my Ceton Infinitv4 USB. Do you have any advice?
    Contact Ceton

Allegiance sucks....big time !! I've thought about satellite internet. I have had DISH and Allegiance Cable....now with DIRECTV and liking it.

vCash

Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    Directv Genie
    Thoughts?
    Do you like it?
    Getting mine tomorrow.
    I like the concept and when it works it is great. The recording possibilities are virtually endless. However, we have been completely losing the satellite signal for hours or minutes at a time since we had it installed. Directv has continued to issue their standard set of excuses, the last being solar flares.

vCash

i have genie as well as cox's whole house dvr. cox cuts out (mosaics, etc) 1000x more than dtv. its funny, when cable gets shitty, i switch to satellite. whoulda thunk it?

Originally Posted by OUn8v View Post
    Allegiance sucks....big time !! I've thought about satellite internet. I have had DISH and Allegiance Cable....now with DIRECTV and liking it.
    Yep, they suck bad. Back when it was still Charter it was really good. My internet speeds were great. No clue why they sold to Allegiance in Oklahoma. Allegiance has run the service into the ground. I'll be switching my internet back to Dobson soon.

vCash

So does anyone know who the Genie chick is?

vCash

I love the genie.

Not Safe For Work

vCash

I recently upgraded one of my SD DVRs to an HD DVR and while on the phone with DTV I asked about the Genie. I was told I could have used my free equipment upgrade to get a Genie, but since I just upgraded another receiver that I'd either have to wait for a year or pay the $300 for the Genie. Needless to say I wasn't very pleased and told the CSR on the phone that their website should explain that a Genie is an option for existing customers eligible for a free upgrade.

Flash forward to earlier this week . . . like many other DTV customers I got an email saying that I could get a free Genie upgrade the next time I moved . . . I promptly emailed DTV and said I'd love to get this upgraded without moving. Got a call from them on Tuesday and the CSR gave me the Genie upgrade and installation for free. Installation is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

I recently upgraded one of my SD DVRs to an HD DVR and while on the phone with DTV I asked about the Genie. I was told I could have used my free equipment upgrade to get a Genie, but since I just upgraded another receiver that I'd either have to wait for a year or pay the $300 for the Genie. Needless to say I wasn't very pleased and told the CSR on the phone that their website should explain that a Genie is an option for existing customers eligible for a free upgrade.

Flash forward to earlier this week . . . like many other DTV customers I got an email saying that I could get a free Genie upgrade the next time I moved . . . I promptly emailed DTV and said I'd love to get this upgraded without moving. Got a call from them on Tuesday and the CSR gave me the Genie upgrade and installation for free. Installation is scheduled for tomorrow morning.
    Awesome! You'll like it. Most disappointing thing is the split-screen function. Better than no split-screen but not as cool as my old RCA TV split screen.

I may have to try this. Called a few months ago and was told I was eligible for a free upgrade in May.

Originally Posted by 180WestBrooks View Post
    I may have to try this. Called a few months ago and was told I was eligible for a free upgrade in May.
    Switch to Dish and get the hopper (the Hoppa!). Wait 2 years and switch back over to directTV. Rinse, repeat.

It will save you more money.
    The following users like this post: 180WestBrooks