Commits in All Star Games

Posted 685 day(s) ago 4988 Views 37 Replies

Under Armour All American Game Jan 4th 5 pm ESPN or ESPN 2

Keith Ford RB

also
    AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE SKILLS CHALLENGE
    The American Family Insurance Skills Challenge provides an opportunity for the nation’s elite high school players to demonstrate their talents on the football field. The skills challenge features four competitions including the QB Pass Attack, Hands Competition, Lineman Challenge and Obstacle Course. Preliminaries will be held on Tuesday, Jan. 1 from 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. ET. The 2013 American Family Insurance Skills Challenge will be taped at the ESPN Wide World of Sports on Wednesday, Jan. 2 at 2:30 p.m. ET. The skills challenge will air on Wednesday, Jan. 2 at 9:00 p.m. ET on ESPN2.
    ================================================== ===

Simper Fidelis All American Bowl Jan 4th 9 pm NFL Network

Hatari Byrd Safety/FS
    Jordan Smallwood WR
    Ahmad Thomas S
    ================================================== ==

‏Offense Defense Bowl December 31 7 pm TV is iffy http://bowl.o-d.com/documents/2013_Channel_Listings.pdf

Stanvon Taylor CB/WR
    Last edited by usaosooner; December 27th, 2012 at 05:35 PM.

Hopefully OU gets some verbals at some of these games. How many of these national high school football all star games are there now? Does Oklahoma and Texas still do the oil bowl game?

Originally Posted by nlight1 View Post
    Hopefully OU gets some verbals at some of these games. How many of these national high school football all star games are there now? Does Oklahoma and Texas still do the oil bowl game?

The US Army All American game is the other "Major" All Star game Yep the Oil Bowl still happens
    Last edited by usaosooner; December 27th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Updated with TV schedules

That Army All American Bowl will take place on January 5, 2013 at 1pm ET on NBC.

Keith Ford

Originally Posted by nlight1 View Post
    Does Oklahoma and Texas still do the oil bowl game?
    The oil bowl used to be a grand event with all the best players. Now they can't hardly get any high level D1 players to play in it.

Back in my era Oklahoma had a high school QB named Rodney "Hootie" Douglas from Lawton. The recruiting services said he would be the next great wishbone QB (1980ish). Anyway he suffered a severe leg fracture and never played college ball.

OU had great talent in the years he would have played but we weren't all that good at QB. There are a several other reasons OU went downhill those years but QBing was a major issue.

Are there any prospects for OU in either the Army or Under Armour game?
    I can't believe we only have 1 commit between both of those games.
    Seems like we've always had a couple but maybe I am wrong.

Damn I hadn't heard that...one player between both games?

How'd Taylor do in the OD bowl?

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    The oil bowl used to be a grand event with all the best players. Now they can't hardly get any high level D1 players to play in it.

Back in my era Oklahoma had a high school QB named Rodney "Hootie" Douglas from Lawton. The recruiting services said he would be the next great wishbone QB (1980ish). Anyway he suffered a severe leg fracture and never played college ball.

OU had great talent in the years he would have played but we weren't all that good at QB. There are a several other reasons OU went downhill those years but QBing was a major issue.
    Back in the 60s, there was also a big game between texas and Penn HS seniors. Don't know if they still play that game, but I doubt it.

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Damn I hadn't heard that...one player between both games?
    Yeah. Currently.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...ruiting/honors
    That should be the under armour roster.

I see Treadwell and Bain and Adams, I think all three of them list OU.
    But I am not sure who believes we will get them?

http://www.usarmyallamericanbowl.com/player-roster
    Mike Mitchell is interested in OU. But everyone says he's going to Ohio State.
    That's about it outside of Manning.

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post

Mike Mitchell is interested in OU. But everyone says he's going to Ohio State.
    That's about it outside of Manning.
    Mitchell has eliminated OU. He will choose tOSU over Oregon and A&M sometime this weekend.

@jsmalls25
    The three feature Sooners of class 2013 playing in the Simper FI bowl game this year

Smallwood,Byrd and Thomas (Left to Right)

================================================== ===

@KippLAdams
    #Oklahoma commit Keith Ford might be the most college-ready RB I have seen so far at #UAGame practice. #Sooners

@KippLAdams
    Physical running style, prototype RB body, workhorse potential & home run threat. RT @LandThieves #UAGame What makes Keith Ford so good?

"With neither team really letting loose, it was tough for the running backs to show what they could do. But when Nitro went into goal-line situations it was Ford who shined the brightest, showing good feet and vision, combined with tough-nosed running, to find his way into the end zone on multiple occasions. "

================================================
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Ford named best back at the UA Game

Running Back

Keith Ford, Cypress (Texas) Cypress Ranch
    This position was a tough one to choose with five backs truly standing out, but the nod goes to Oklahoma commitment Keith Ford.. The 5-foot-11, 203-pounder has consistently shown his excellent feet in the hole, vision and ability to cleanly catch the football over three days. This is a position in which all backs have had their moments, and shown versatility in the passing game.

http://247sports.com/Article/Under-A...ca-Game-109427
    The following users like this post: Vodnik

More on Keith Ford

UA Top Performers

KEITH FORD, RB, CYPRESS (TEXAS) CYPRESS RANCH
    Ford had the best day among the running back group. He is a mismatch on wheel and angle routes. The four-star back showed a good burst when hitting the edge on stretch plays. He got open consistently against linebackers in the passing game as well.

==============================

Semper Fi

2- Hatari Byrd, S, Fresno (Calif.) Central East

The headhunting Byrd displayed outstanding closing speed and athleticism during the session. For a time, we felt that the Oklahoma commit could very well end up growing into a linebacker and while that is still possible, after watching him in coverage Tuesday, he may just be a big safety. Byrd flies around, is good in pursuit and is a huge plus in defending the run game. He’s a definite stock up prospect based on what we saw.

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/S...formers-109263

Jordan Smallwood has been impressing at the Semper Fi bowl as well

"Great catch by Jordan Smallwood "

Barton Simon:Jordan Smallwood with a nice catch on a corner route. He's one of that has consistently stood out this week.

WR JORDAN SMALLWOOD, 6-3, 205 POUNDS, JENKS (OKLA.)
    Smallwood was able to get separation from defensive backs using a verity of methods. He outran some larger opponents and overpowered some smaller ones. He was just average during 1-on-1s, but shined brightly during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills. He caught balls on a varity of routes, many of which went for large gains. "
    The following users like this post: drspencer

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    More on Keith Ford

UA Top Performers

KEITH FORD, RB, CYPRESS (TEXAS) CYPRESS RANCH
    Ford had the best day among the running back group. He is a mismatch on wheel and angle routes. The four-star back showed a good burst when hitting the edge on stretch plays. He got open consistently against linebackers in the passing game as well.

==============================

Semper Fi

2- Hatari Byrd, S, Fresno (Calif.) Central East

The headhunting Byrd displayed outstanding closing speed and athleticism during the session. For a time, we felt that the Oklahoma commit could very well end up growing into a linebacker and while that is still possible, after watching him in coverage Tuesday, he may just be a big safety. Byrd flies around, is good in pursuit and is a huge plus in defending the run game. He’s a definite stock up prospect based on what we saw.

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/S...formers-109263

Jordan Smallwood has been impressing at the Semper Fi bowl as well

"Great catch by Jordan Smallwood "

Barton Simon:Jordan Smallwood with a nice catch on a corner route. He's one of that has consistently stood out this week.

WR JORDAN SMALLWOOD, 6-3, 205 POUNDS, JENKS (OKLA.)
    Smallwood was able to get separation from defensive backs using a verity of methods. He outran some larger opponents and overpowered some smaller ones. He was just average during 1-on-1s, but shined brightly during 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills. He caught balls on a varity of routes, many of which went for large gains. "
    Awesome, keep it coming! :-)

Keith Ford will start for the White team

thanks for the info will we have a thread on main board of the game?

Ford got the ball twice in the second half. 1 run for 7 yds and a Kickoff return for 65 yds. Best offensive player on the white team. I'm not just being a homer. The play calling for the white team was atrocious.

Originally Posted by oudidntknow84 View Post
    Ford got the ball twice in the second half. 1 run for 7 yds and a Kickoff return for 65 yds. Best offensive player on the white team. I'm not just being a homer. The play calling for the white team was atrocious.
    I do not remember a run play until the 4th or 5th possession. What a ****ing joke!

Lets hope none of our commitments or prospects watched the game last night. Safe to say no one would want to come here if they saw that. Although, who wouldn't want to go somewhere where you get out played, out coached, and embarrassed on national TV? WE ARE NOW A JOKE IN THE EYES OF ALL FOOTBALL FANS. We deserve better!

Originally Posted by BKSOONERS View Post
    Lets hope none of our commitments or prospects watched the game last night. Safe to say no one would want to come here if they saw that. Although, who wouldn't want to go somewhere where you get out played, out coached, and embarrassed on national TV? WE ARE NOW A JOKE IN THE EYES OF ALL FOOTBALL FANS. We deserve better!
    Grow up, baby.

Sooner 76...Call me what you want but that was an embarrassment.

Sooner 76...Call me what you want but that was an ecmbarrassment.
    It was certainly was an embarrassment, no argument. The 2nd half was as bad as I've ever seen in 50 years of watching OU games, right up there with the 1st half against USC.

I said going into the game that it was a horrible matchup, probably along with Oregon, the worst matchup for OU. Florida was a winnable game, this probably wasn't.

However, the out-of-control venting from many posters is not constructive. You've made all of 8 posts on this board. How many of them were constructive? I don't recall any. Maybe I'm wrong. All of your posts on the thread Any Coaching News are just rants against the coaches, and your ranting against BJW shows that you know nothing of his coaching and recruiting abilities.

Many people don't post after we win a game, which is ridiculous, but they come out of the woodwork after a loss with their screams for Stoops' head on a platter. End of my rant.

Our problem is talent, not coaches. Many recruits know they are part of the solution and will want to come to OU still. We may lose 1 or 2, but we usually lose 1 at the last minute anyway.

We want players who are proud to be Sooners and will get us back to where we want to be.

We will not be there next year, I predict 3 losses again, primarly b/c the secondary will have to be completely rebuilt, but 2014 looks like a very strong team.
    2 users like Sooner 76's post: OU48A, Stoops'Visor

Did OU expect any surprise commits out of the all-star games?

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Did OU expect any surprise commits out of the all-star games?
    No, not to my knowledge. But next weekend is the first junior day, with many 2013 recruits coming to Norman.

At a minimum, we should expect DT Walker to commit next weekend.

Also, ESPN's recruiting guru said that OU will probably get a verbal from Nate Starks, a 2014 high 4-star or 5-star RB from LV Gorman, DeMarco's HS. He loves OU, and has posted a picture of the OU helmet and said that's the one he wants to wear in college.

Last night sucked big time, but the sky is not falling.
    2 users like Sooner 76's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, jmizzy4ou

Last edited by Sooner 76; January 5th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

76, I couldn't agree more. I told some friends at work we would probably lose by 21. I just didn't like the matchup. Yes, we do have some problems but everything is correctable. The question is will the coaches look at what happen and change it. A&M did make the adjustments in the 2nd half and we didn't. I was not happy with the loss but we can't dwell on it. We need to let all tlayers and recruits know, whatever happens that we are behind them every step of the way.
    The following users like this post: Sooner 76

Sorry, I didn't know everyone was so sensitive on here. I was just venting. I have 2 buddies who are what I call OU homers. They haven't ever said one bad thing about OU or Bob. But last night changed all that. They both ripped the coaches (especially Heupel) and said it was unacceptable and talked about how Bob has lost his edge and how he has become to comfortable. One of my buddies is good friends with Jefferson and Stills and they come over to his house and help out with camps. He even knows Tony's parents. So it just goes to show you that even the "OU homers" are not happy wiith whats going on in Norman. Maybe I was a little negative but I try to take off my crimson colored glasses when I evaluate the players and coaches.

Sorry, I didn't know everyone was so sensitive on here. I was just venting. I have 2 buddies who are what I call OU homers. They haven't ever said one bad thing about OU or Bob. But last night changed all that. They both ripped the coaches (especially Heupel) and said it was unacceptable and talked about how Bob has lost his edge and how he has become to comfortable. One of my buddies is good friends with Jefferson and Stills and they come over to his house and help out with camps. He even knows Tony's parents. So it just goes to show you that even the "OU homers" are not happy wiith whats going on in Norman. Maybe I was a little negative but I try to take off my crimson colored glasses when I evaluate the players and coaches.

I think what 76 was trying to say, is there are at least 10 threads on the main board with everyone "venting" and calling for massive changes. This thread is/was about recruits coming in. Not really the place to start another complaint string about the game, when there are already countless threads to do that in.

I know I personally come over here because we have several posters who give excellent info about recruiting.

Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
    I think what 76 was trying to say, is there are at least 10 threads on the main board with everyone "venting" and calling for massive changes. This thread is/was about recruits coming in. Not really the place to start another complaint string about the game, when there are already countless threads to do that in.

I know I personally come over here because we have several posters who give excellent info about recruiting.
    Thank you, well said. I'll add one thing: posters most frequent complaint is that Stoops has lost his edge. Really? Did you see him hollering at his brother during the timeout on the first possession? He hasn't lost his edge. Switzer had some "down" years and lost 4 games and came back strong.

This was embarrassing, I was angry too, but OU will rebound. I got up the next morning and started to think about recruiting.

OU is building an excellent class and we will have good news next weekend!
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

I respect that guys. Well said. I was just disappointed and probably vented on the wrong thread. I'm new on here so let's start over with a clean slate.
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    Thank you, well said. I'll add one thing: posters most frequent complaint is that Stoops has lost his edge. Really? Did you see him hollering at his brother during the timeout on the first possession? He hasn't lost his edge. Switzer had some "down" years and lost 4 games and came back strong.

This was embarrassing, I was angry too, but OU will rebound. I got up the next morning and started to think about recruiting.

OU is building an excellent class and we will have good news next weekend!
    Who do you think will commit to us next weekend or before signing day. I think Cochran, Baker and Walker are the top ones so far and I think we get a unexpected commit either a day or two or the day of signing day. I truly believe that some of these players will be very good because they were overlooked and have something to prove to everybody.

Originally Posted by Hotrod33 View Post
    Who do you think will commit to us next weekend or before signing day. I think Cochran, Baker and Walker are the top ones so far and I think we get a unexpected commit either a day or two or the day of signing day. I truly believe that some of these players will be very good because they were overlooked and have something to prove to everybody.
    I think we are in the running for Lamar Robbins and LJ Moore at DB. I think we get Cochran and Walker. I like our chances with Baker. I agree that we will have at least one surprise commit and I think we lose 1 (no idea who, but it seems to happen).

It should be a Top 10 class, which should be good enough.

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post

Our problem is talent, not coaches.
    Coaches are responsible for the talent (or lack thereof).
    The following users like this post: Tundra

I respect that guys. Well said. I was just disappointed and probably vented on the wrong thread. I'm new on here so let's start over with a clean slate.
    Understood!!!!! Welcome aboard.