Sim City 4

Posted 530 day(s) ago 2917 Views 80 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2
    vCash

Sim City 5

Anyone looking forward to this? I haven't purchased a PC game in probably a decade, but just might pick this up if my iMac can run it well.
    Last edited by El Jefe; November 12th, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

vCash

Absolutely.

vCash

Isn't it 5? I thought the last one I had was 4. And that was 7-8 years ago...

But yes, whatever the one is coming out soon, I can't wait.

vCash

Originally Posted by stationarymotion View Post

Crap, you're right. It is Sim City 5.

vCash

I'd still play the original, I've always loved those games and I've never been any good at them.

vCash

Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Crap, you're right. It is Sim City 5.
    It looks like it may just be "Sim City" by name, but is actually 5 (not counting the Societies travesty). At any rate, I am super hyped and will definitely be playing.
    The following users like this post: Bob Loblaw

vCash

vCash

An I guess it's not Sim City 5. It's just "Sim City" ... a reboot, is what I've heard it called. Hmmm.

vCash

Hell yeah, 2 months. I've been playing the older one on the iPad just because the trailers for this one makes me want to play them again...

vCash

Just got the email to download and play the beta version of this SimCity. I was excited to get it downloaded until I saw this :

Is there a Mac beta client?
    No, this beta is exclusively for PC users.

Curses! Stuck waiting until March 5th.

vCash

Sim City 4

Just got the email to download and play the beta version of this SimCity. I was excited to get it downloaded until I saw this :

That blows.

Sim City 4

That's what you get for trying to be a rich white guy.
    2 users like oucub23's post: Bob Loblaw, pphilfran

vCash

Sim City 4

I'd still play the original, I've always loved those games and I've never been any good at them.
    Those games have always kicked ass. The "natural disasters" particularly cracked me up.

I remember playing Sim Farm back in the day, too. That was some fun shit.

vCash

First game like his I ever played ws called Fortune Builder on the ColecoVision.

vCash

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    Those games have always kicked ass. The "natural disasters" particularly cracked me up.

I remember playing Sim Farm back in the day, too. That was some fun shit.

Playing SimCity 4 on the iPad, I start the scenarios just to have a pre-built city with 125k people in it and then see how fast I can level the whole place with 'disasters'. Maybe 3-5 minutes I'm down to 1,500 people, no power, no water. It's more fun than it should be.
    The following users like this post: AcousticSoup

vCash

Sim City 4

Reticulating splines....
    2 users like AcousticSoup's post: OrionJc, Sancho

vCash

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    Reticulating splines....
    I can not count the number of times that phrase and that voice has popped into my head at the most random of circumstances.
    3 users like Sancho's post: AcousticSoup, Bob Loblaw, OrionJc

vCash

Anyone getting this tomorrow? Unfortunately, looks like the Mac version is still in the works and just slated for a "Spring 2013" release.

vCash

vCash

I read polygon's other review and then Ars Technica. I don't know who to believe. Ha.

Getting this when it releases for mac

vCash

I didn't realize the Mac version wasn't coming out today. I was going to buy it but I guess I'll be waiting...

Being as how they're going to open it up for pre-orders 'soon', I'd guess it's going to be at least a couple of months.

vCash

Yeah, same for me. Disappointed no Mac version today. That said, it'll give some time to let the reviews shake out. Seems half the people love it, the other half hate it.

vCash

the commercial alone has me sold on this game funny shit

Spring 2013, probably April if I had to guess. I am fine with it though, I run a macbook air, and VFusion just can't make up with the integrated graphics.

Plus all these mandatory online games are buggy as hell the first few weeks.

vCash

Mac version will be downloadable only, so at least you won't have to go to the store...

Picked it up this morning along with a wireless keyboard and mouse...should leave the confines of the Home Theater by June.

vCash

Let us know how it is, Spanky.

vCash

Utter disappointment. Getting my money back tomorrow.

vCash

Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Utter disappointment. Getting my money back tomorrow.
    Honestly, I didn't have much time to play it...daughter got sick and had to pick her up...ended up watching Wreck It Ralph instead.

The little time I did spend with it, I believe has made it clear that my computer may not be quite badass enough for true enjoyment

vCash

Forum on simcity.com is getting destroyed with unhappy customers. Is it that they just weren't ready and the bugs need to be worked out? There were a lot over there that said they had no issues and loved it, so I'm wondering if it's the people expecting perfection with an online game from hour 1 shouting from the rooftops.

vCash

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Honestly, I didn't have much time to play it...daughter got sick and had to pick her up...ended up watching Wreck It Ralph instead.

The little time I did spend with it, I believe has made it clear that my computer may not be quite badass enough for true enjoyment

This is part of it for me. My machine just does not have the hardware to run it as intended. But, from what I saw I would have been disappointed anyway. There are regions like in SimCity 4 which you can join in online games and build a city that interacts with other players cities within that region.
    There is also a sandbox mode that gives you a region to yourself so that you could control all the cities like Sim City 4, however.... the while the region itself may be big, the "plots" that are carved out for the cities are small and placed (to scale) miles form each other. The "wilderness" areas between the cities are pre populated with roads and rail etc, which can not be edited (I dont think) and they are quite unlikely laid out. So in other words you could build several small cities in a region and connect them with the pre populated freeways and rail lines... but you could never fill the region the way you want it, or terraform it. You couldnt build a metro area, like if you wanted to make a DFW like area...There is no way. The city plots are separated by wilderness that you cant annex. You couldnt have a large city like OKC that covers an entire city plot, then build a suburb like Moore or Edmond in an adjacent plot that butts right up against the OKC plot. There would be a large swath of uneditable wilderness between the two. You cant even pick where one plot is in relation to another, that is all predefined. And aesthetically, the regions look retarded as there are freeways running parallel to the outside borders of the cities instead of going THROUGH the cities like in the real world. You cant even name your cities, for crying out loud. You are stuck with whatever names EA gave them.

Also the game is online only.... even when you have it in private sandbox mode. So you are stuck indoors one day and your internet is out (bad winter storm, or whatever) and you want to kill some time playing SimCity. NOPE. Even though your private region requires no interaction from other players... just cant play.

The actual mechanics of the simulation look to be awesome (would be awesome if my machine were better) but they ruined it by not giving the player complete control over their little world the way Sim City 4 did. At the end of the day you cant build what you want, so what is the point?

Last edited by Sancho; March 5th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.

My wife wants to give it a go, and she wants to play the newest Tropico and Civ. I used this as an opportunity to plunk down some cash in my 5 year old PC and get a new motherboard, processor, memory, and video card. Should be fine after that. Everything is coming in today, which makes me happy.

Forum on simcity.com is getting destroyed with unhappy customers. Is it that they just weren't ready and the bugs need to be worked out? There were a lot over there that said they had no issues and loved it, so I'm wondering if it's the people expecting perfection with an online game from hour 1 shouting from the rooftops.
    It is the people expecting perfection. But the always online bullshit is pretty annoying. EA needs to find a better solution.

Sancho, did you have any connection issues yesterday?

vCash

Yeah. I have a pretty good freaking computer is what makes me mad.

8 Gig Ram
    Core i7
    The problem is the integrated Intel HD graphics (its a laptop) I was running the thing through a 55 in TV though. I plan to check today on running it on the native display, and see if that helps.

vCash

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    I seemed to have an issue both times I started on the first try, then it would hang and cancel (updates phase) after that, it would connect easily the second time. I'm also not sure if any sort of appreciable lag interferes with regular game performance during tutorials, etc.

vCash

This is part of it for me. My machine just does not have the hardware to run it as intended. But, from what I saw I would have been disappointed anyway. There are regions like in SimCity 4 which you can join in online games and build a city that interacts with other players cities within that region.
    There is also a sandbox mode that gives you a region to yourself so that you could control all the cities like Sim City 4, however.... the while the region itself may be big, the "plots" that are carved out for the cities are small and placed (to scale) miles form each other. The "wilderness" areas between the cities are pre populated with roads and rail etc, which can not be edited (I dont think) and they are quite unlikely laid out. So in other words you could build several small cities in a region and connect them with the pre populated freeways and rail lines... but you could never fill the region the way you want it, or terraform it. You couldnt build a metro area, like if you wanted to make a DFW like area...There is no way. The city plots are separated by wilderness that you cant annex. You couldnt have a large city like OKC that covers an entire city plot, then build a suburb like Moore or Edmond in an adjacent plot that butts right up against the OKC plot. There would be a large swath of uneditable wilderness between the two. You cant even pick where one plot is in relation to another, that is all predefined. And aesthetically, the regions look retarded as there are freeways running parallel to the outside borders of the cities instead of going THROUGH the cities like in the real world. You cant even name your cities, for crying out loud. You are stuck with whatever names EA gave them.

Also the game is online only.... even when you have it in private sandbox mode. So you are stuck indoors one day and your internet is out (bad winter storm, or whatever) and you want to kill some time playing SimCity. NOPE. Even though your private region requires no interaction from other players... just cant play.

The actual mechanics of the simulation look to be awesome (would be awesome if my machine were better) but they ruined it by not giving the player complete control over their little world the way Sim City 4 did. At the end of the day you cant build what you want, so what is the point?
    Welcome to EA. Their is a reason they were ranked most evil company or something.

Yeah. I have a pretty good freaking computer is what makes me mad.

8 Gig Ram
    Core i7
    The problem is the integrated Intel HD graphics (its a laptop) I was running the thing through a 55 in TV though. I plan to check today on running it on the native display, and see if that helps.
    Yeah, integrated graphics have come a long way, but a discrete card is much better for gaming.

Were you running on high settings?

vCash

The first couple of attempts I had no issues with the connection. After I got mad and ranted a bit about the game I wanted to give it another try. I tried 4 times could never "claim" a city in my own region, the connection would seem to time out.

Seems to be a problem with AAA titles on release day. The publishers don't want to spend money on servers for just two weeks, so they let the game release with a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

The always online stuff is bullshit. I just want to get in my sandbox and build a region by myself.

vCash

Main complaints on the internet today are the DRM, Always online and missing features that are getting promised as "future DLC" that you will most likely have to pay fro.

vCash

Seems to be a problem with AAA titles on release day. The publishers don't want to spend money on servers for just two weeks, so they let the game release with a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

The always online stuff is bullshit. I just want to get in my sandbox and build a region by myself.
    You are probably not going to like this game.
    I want to start a region, build the OKC metro from El Reno to Shawnee, Guthrie to Purcell.... you cant do that or anything remotely like that in this game.
    You could do that in Sim City 4. In terms of freedom to do what you want this game is a huge step back. Like 20 steps back.

vCash

Well, that's bad to hear. The Mac Game Store does a diagnosis and says my iMac can run the game, but now I'm not sure. Maybe I'll just pick up Tropico and pretend I'm on vacation.

That said, the lack of creating true city sims, is it fun?

vCash

Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Well, that's bad to hear. The Mac Game Store does a diagnosis and says my iMac can run the game, but now I'm not sure. Maybe I'll just pick up Tropico and pretend I'm on vacation.

That said, the lack of creating true city sims, is it fun?

It probably would be fun for a short while if you just took the game for what it is and if your machine is beefy enough to run it smoothly.
    Even then though I think it will wear off fast because the city plots are so small that (it is being reported) you can fill them border to border with high rises in just a couple of hours pf play. There is then no where to expand and you cant build up anymore... so all you can do at that point is pick another city plot 15 miles away and repeat. How much fun could it be to do that over and over? Creativity is stifled.

vCash

Here is an example that kind of illustrates my beef with the game. Someone posted this pic over on the EA messageboards of their first city:

This guy might not have built out all the way to the borders of the city plot, but if not it is close.
    The road that borders the side of this city closest to you is (likely) the actual border of the city plot. So the whole city area would be like taking OKC Downtown/Bricktown, from say Walker to Russel M Perry (street E of the ballpark), and then from Reno to 5th or 6th street.
    To scale, that rough square would be the entire area you have to work with. So imagine walking out of the Devon building and everything on the other side of Reno is fields... and nothing but fields... all the way to downtown Norman. And you cant change it.
    It is the same in this picture of this guys city. People walking out of these buildings closest to you would just walk across the street into a field... as though the thought never occurred to anyone to expand the city in that direction and build more shit.

Also, look at his population. This skyline is like 4 times better than OKC and he has 83,000 people.

vCash

Here is an example that kind of illustrates my beef with the game. Someone posted this pic over on the EA messageboards of their first city:

This guy might not have built out all the way to the borders of the city plot, but if not it is close.
    The road that borders the side of this city closest to you is (likely) the actual border of the city plot. So the whole city area would be like taking OKC Downtown/Bricktown, from say Walker to Russel M Perry (street E of the ballpark), and then from Reno to 5th or 6th street.
    To scale, that rough square would be the entire area you have to work with. So imagine walking out of the Devon building and everything on the other side of Reno is fields... and nothing but fields... all the way to downtown Norman. And you cant change it.
    It is the same in this picture of this guys city. People walking out of these buildings closest to you would just walk across the street into a field... as though the thought never occurred to anyone to expand the city in that direction and build more shit.

Also, look at his population. This skyline is like 4 times better than OKC and he has 83,000 people.
    I was excited to finally play a game again when I got around to it until reading thsi thread. Not even going to bother with it now.

vCash

Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    I was excited to finally play a game again when I got around to it until reading thsi thread. Not even going to bother with it now.
    Agreed. I may see if there are any updates or what people are saying by the time the Mac version comes out, but I think I just saved myself $60.

vCash

I've got a friend who "loves it," but he's looking at just as a game to kill time with. Some of these reviews just may be looking for too much. I dunno.

vCash

Getting destroyed on its customer reviews:
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/si...w_id=2981272#0

vCash

Francis is mad.

2 users like LASooner's post: Irish_Sooner, pbc2003

vCash

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    Francis is mad.

Holy ****ing LOL.