***Conference Apocalypse Part IV: The NeverEnding Story

Posted 709 day(s) ago by DelMarSooner159685 Views 2970 Replies
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 2971
Page 31 of 60 21 29 30 31 32 33 41
  1. #1501
    I say go for the gusto Miami FSU Clemson, Georgia Tech
    The following users like this post: MadMex

       

  2. #1502
    Originally Posted by T-town Sooner View Post
    Absolutely do not believe the SEC is expanding at all, not for UNC, not of ND, probably not for the Atlanta Flacons.

    Trying to schedule for 14 teams has been a nightmare more the SEC trying to maintain rivalries. Games like Bama-UGA, Auburn-Florida, etc... now happen every 6 years. Meaning Florida will host Alabama once every 12 years with the current 14 team format. I would like for someone to try to explain to me how a 16 team SEC schedule would work.
    A 16 team SEC easily works. Two 8 team divisions: A&M, LSU, Mizzou, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St, Bama, Auburn in the West. UGA, Tenn, Kentucky, Vandy, USC, UF, ACC team A, ACC team B in the East. Each team plays 7 divisional games and 2 cross division games (1 home, 1 away), for a 9 game conference schedule. This means each SEC program has played every other program every four years, and has played every program home and away every 8 years. The SEC would have to give up the cross divisional rivalries, but I think those could easily be discarded. LSU and UF hate having to play each other every year, because it puts both programs at a competitive disadvantage. Bama-Tenn is a shell of its former self, far less important than any trough the OU-NU rivalry ever became. UGA-Auburn...meh. The cross divisional rivalries are disposable. Bama would probably protest, because they benefit strategically playing a down Tenn every year, while LSU has to face Top 5-10 caliber UF every year.
       

  3. #1503
    Nazgul's Avatar
    Posts
    2,267
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minas Morgul

    Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    I say go for the gusto Miami FSU Clemson, Georgia Tech
    does that leave room for ND? Big 12 will never fill all the spots until ND joins a conference.
       

  4. #1504
    MadMex's Avatar
    Posts
    2,820
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Liquor Sto'

    Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    does that leave room for ND? Big 12 will never fill all the spots until ND joins a conference.
    **** Notre Dame... that is all.
    5 users like MadMex's post: GuidosLament, nstinson, OSULadyCowboy, ProudSoonersFan, Yatahaze

       

  5. #1505
    **** ND! Hope they land in the BE!

    Sounds like the bear thinks the likely suspects from the ACC.
    2 users like CCSooner's post: GuidosLament, nstinson

       

  6. #1506
    Originally Posted by TeLeFaWx View Post
    Exactly. Penn State is the most popular program back east. Rutgers is a non factor, it is just for numbers sake with Maryland. Like Mizzou was to the SEC when they grabbed Texas A&M.

    Texas A&M - 1997, 1998, 2010, 2012 Big 12 Champs*
    Man you are a dumb****.
       

  7. #1507
    Originally Posted by TeLeFaWx View Post
    If losing by 5 points and 3 points respectively is getting dominated, what would you describe what exactly it was A&M did to Oklahoma?

    Texas A&M - 1997, 1998, 2010, 2012 Big 12 Champs*
    A&M did to OU about half of what OU has done to the Aggies a couple of times.
       

  8. #1508
    Originally Posted by Master Pandemonium View Post
    A 16 team SEC easily works. Two 8 team divisions: A&M, LSU, Mizzou, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St, Bama, Auburn in the West. UGA, Tenn, Kentucky, Vandy, USC, UF, ACC team A, ACC team B in the East. Each team plays 7 divisional games and 2 cross division games (1 home, 1 away), for a 9 game conference schedule. This means each SEC program has played every other program every four years, and has played every program home and away every 8 years. The SEC would have to give up the cross divisional rivalries, but I think those could easily be discarded. LSU and UF hate having to play each other every year, because it puts both programs at a competitive disadvantage. Bama-Tenn is a shell of its former self, far less important than any trough the OU-NU rivalry ever became. UGA-Auburn...meh. The cross divisional rivalries are disposable. Bama would probably protest, because they benefit strategically playing a down Tenn every year, while LSU has to face Top 5-10 caliber UF every year.
    Not only is the cross division rivalry much harder to give up than you say. The biggest issue is playing a 9 game conference schedule. The SEC doesn't want that for several reasons. Florida and UGA both play a Neutral site game AND an annual in-State ooc rivalry game. And they budget on 7 home games a year. Do the math it doesn't add up. Florida also does some home and homes with miami.
       

  9. #1509
    Originally Posted by T-town Sooner View Post
    Not only is the cross division rivalry much harder to give up than you say. The biggest issue is playing a 9 game conference schedule. The SEC doesn't want that for several reasons. Florida and UGA both play a Neutral site game AND an annual in-State ooc rivalry game. And they budget on 7 home games a year. Do the math it doesn't add up. Florida also does some home and homes with miami.
    That is not really different than anyone else. OU plays a 9 game conference schedule including a neutral site game. OU almost always plays a road non-conference game. OU generally plays a top shelf OOC opponent. UGA and especially UF are getting 7.5 "home" games per year because they are splitting the gate in Jacksonville.

    The only real difference is that UF is dedicated to playing FSU where we are rotating among FSU, ND, Miami, Tennessee, LSU, UCLA, Washington, tOSU etc. Georgia is slightly different because they will actually play some other than GT in OOC (OSU, Boise, Clemson), but Georgia Tech is usually a top 40 team not top 15.
       

  10. #1510
    BoulderSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    2,021
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    the BIG is going to 16 that much is a lock ... who they get will drive the next phase of realignment ... (if they get UVA and GT) then the ACC is dead
       

  11. #1511
    Originally Posted by T-town Sooner View Post
    Not only is the cross division rivalry much harder to give up than you say. The biggest issue is playing a 9 game conference schedule. The SEC doesn't want that for several reasons. Florida and UGA both play a Neutral site game AND an annual in-State ooc rivalry game. And they budget on 7 home games a year. Do the math it doesn't add up. Florida also does some home and homes with miami.
    I'm not really concerned about this argument but some of these in state OOC games could go the way of the dodo when all this realignment settles.
       

  12. #1512
    So, Redhawk have you come over? You now think, for sure, that we are going big to 14 or going home and her comes Clemson, FSU, Louisville and Cincinnati?

    I really hope we get to 14. I like FSU and Clemson. Louisville good for women's and men's basketball. FSU good for women's soccer.

    Cincinnatti -- wish we could find something better, but it would be fun beating the crap out of Tubberville every year. What a douche.
       

  13. #1513
    Originally Posted by Al F***n Swearingen View Post
    So, Redhawk have you come over? You now think, for sure, that we are going big to 14 or going home and her comes Clemson, FSU, Louisville and Cincinnati?

    I really hope we get to 14. I like FSU and Clemson. Louisville good for women's and men's basketball. FSU good for women's soccer.

    Cincinnatti -- wish we could find something better, but it would be fun beating the crap out of Tubberville every year. What a douche.

    Why settle for Louisville and Cincy so early?

    Start with FSU and Miami

    you should then be able to get GT and Clemson

    next would be UNC and NCST if the SEC and Gig 10 don't expand anymore

    Louisville/VT and Cincinnati will be there if one or more of those 6 go elsewhere
       

  14. #1514
    Redhawk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,727
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO

    Originally Posted by Al F***n Swearingen View Post
    So, Redhawk have you come over? You now think, for sure, that we are going big to 14 or going home and her comes Clemson, FSU, Louisville and Cincinnati?

    I really hope we get to 14. I like FSU and Clemson. Louisville good for women's and men's basketball. FSU good for women's soccer.

    Cincinnatti -- wish we could find something better, but it would be fun beating the crap out of Tubberville every year. What a douche.
    It all depends on the timing and who the B1G and the SEC can get if any. I think the Big 12 folks are looking and wanting 12, and ONLY 12. However, if there are others in the ACC that want to jump the Big 12 would have to take a look at who's available, and their value. There is a reason the ACC tv contracts are so low. And if you think adding BYU and New Mexico would water down the Big 12, there is that fear with adding too many of the wrong ACC schools too.

    The core of the ACC still wants to stay together I think. Is FSU one of that core? I think FSU is playing everyone off everyone else, not unlike UT did 2 years ago when OU/OSU were going to the PAC and Notre Dame did this past summer. I'm not convinced that FSU wants to move from the ACC to the Big 12, or even the SEC. To get them I think it would take a deal like the PAC was offering in 2010 to 6 of the Big 12 schools to come as a group. BUT..again, I think the ACC group really wants to stay together.

    To me the key is UNC. If they move then it's on. If they don't, then they could easily keep a core of the ACC together. If that core is there, I'm not convinced that FSU leaves for the Big 12.

    The ACC has 14 members. They could lose 2 and be at 12 and could be fine. They could even lose the right 4, replace 2 with Cincinnati and UConn and be just fine as well. The key 2 that the ACC can't lose is UNC....and FSU. GT & Clemson maybe in that "can't lose" group as well.

    Miami wants in...even alone. So we could add Miami next week. Miami still moves the TV needle, even with a stadium of empty seats and a mediocre football team with huge looming NCAA penalties.
       

  15. #1515
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    9,662
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Can someone start a new thread when something of substance is actually said or happens? That way we do have to sift through 30+ pages of rumors.
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

       

  16. #1516
    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Can someone start a new thread when something of substance is actually said or happens? That way we do have to sift through 30+ pages of rumors.
    Stuff of substance has happened, just not necessarily to teams and conferences about which you care.
       

  17. #1517
    His favorite team is BYU and will never be in the Big12
    x97's Avatar
    Posts
    233
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post

    Miami wants in...even alone.

    I keep hearing this being spouted on message boards the last week or two. Do you have link that supports what you are asserting or is it just another tieback to the tool of wvu and his ilk?
       

  18. #1518
    Redhawk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,727
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO

    Originally Posted by x97 View Post
    I keep hearing this being spouted on message boards the last week or two. Do you have link that supports what you are asserting or is it just another tieback to the tool of wvu and his ilk?
    No link. Not from the WVU tool. From a friend of mine in sports media. He could have gotten it from the WVU tools I guess....but I don't think he knows of them.
       

  19. #1519
    His favorite team is BYU and will never be in the Big12
    x97's Avatar
    Posts
    233
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    No link. Not from the WVU tool. From a friend of mine in sports media. He could have gotten it from the WVU tools I guess....but I don't think he knows of them.
    This is where the problem exists. MVher and the dude started the Miami rumor. It was there where it first sprang up. Other people have tried to run it. Until a national media source or Miami insiders corroborate it you need to take these things with a grain of salt.
       

  20. #1520
    Originally Posted by x97 View Post
    This is where the problem exists. MVher and the dude started the Miami rumor. It was there where it first sprang up. Other people have tried to run it. Until a national media source or Miami insiders corroborate it you need to take these things with a grain of salt.
    You realize that the "national media" is always last to a story these days, right? I'm not saying the Miami story is legit, but waiting for the "national media" will get you left behind.
       

  21. #1521
    Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    You realize that the "national media" is always last to a story these days, right? I'm not saying the Miami story is legit, but waiting for the "national media" will get you left behind.

    But the National media is correct a much higher percentage of the time. Most of these rumors never pan out.
       

  22. #1522
    Originally Posted by T-town Sooner View Post
    But the National media is correct a much higher percentage of the time. Most of these rumors never pan out.
    That's because they report it AFTER it happens. There's always rumors and talk when changes of this magnitude are taking place. With the Internet and social media, that just means there's more misinformation used to distract from what's really going on. It's meant to confuse and misdirect so it doesn't upset what's actually going on.

    If you think there's nothing going on and that realignment is over, you're not paying attention. Yes, there will be a lot of misinformation. That is on purpose.
    The following users like this post: IndySooner

       

  23. #1523
    Redhawk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,727
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO

    Originally Posted by x97 View Post
    This is where the problem exists. MVher and the dude started the Miami rumor. It was there where it first sprang up. Other people have tried to run it. Until a national media source or Miami insiders corroborate it you need to take these things with a grain of salt.
    If you are trying to say that some of these rumors are circular, in that someone one makes it completely up (like the Dude or MHVer) and then it's read by some other blogger, and then that other writer that has a little more credibility cause he blogs on paid site writes it up that he heard it, which then looks like they are corroborating the original source when in fact they are just repeating the original source...So the rumor really is in an echo chamber and not real at all.......

    Then you are right on a lot of this I think. I think there is a LOT of that going on. But for me on this one, I'm pretty sure that is not the case....but I could be wrong.

    I just shared what I heard, and what I got, from people that know people that know stuff. I'm not sure how accurate any of its. They were pretty excited about FSU & Clemson last summer and you see what that got us.
       

  24. #1524
    The FSU/Miami stuff is coming from guys with media connections to Fox and a KU insider, "Colton." Doesn't make it legit, but it's not just a moonshiner rumor. Helps the rumoring that Bowlsby keeps doing expansion interviews and the league is having an expansion meeting next week.
       

  25. #1525
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    9,662
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    Stuff of substance has happened, just not necessarily to teams and conferences about which you care.
    Outstanding 72nd post. I'm glad we have someone like you around to state the obvious.

    You apparently knew what I meant, otherwise you wouldn't have made that statement. I, like most on here, want to know when something significant happens with OU and/or the Big 12. I don't much care if the B1G gets Rutgers. So my statement meant that when we have some concrete news about OU instead of a bunch of rumors that never come to fruition.
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

       

  26. #1526
    lauderdaleOU's Avatar
    Posts
    4,177
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    M Streets

    Originally Posted by Camel at Sea View Post
    The FSU/Miami stuff is coming from guys with media connections to Fox and a KU insider, "Colton." Doesn't make it legit, but it's not just a moonshiner rumor. Helps the rumoring that Bowlsby keeps doing expansion interviews and the league is having an expansion meeting next week.
    I really, really hope that something happens soon... I hate the current 'big 12' (-2).
       

  27. #1527
    Gee told Athletic Council Big Ten expansion talks "ongoing"




    Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee told the school’s Athletic Council in December that discussions about further expansion for the Big Ten conference are “ongoing.”

    In November, the league announced the addition of Maryland from the Atlantic Coast Conference and Rutgers from the Big East. Nebraska joined the Big Ten for the 2011-12 school year after leaving the Big 12.

    It doesn’t appear that the Big Ten is necessarily content to stay at 14 members. According to the minutes of the Dec. 5 Athletic Council meeting obtained by the Dispatch, Gee said “there has been ongoing discussion” about expansion and “believes there is movement towards three or four super conferences that are made up of 16-20 teams.”

    When a student member of the Athletic Council asked Gee what direction the Big Ten might take, Gee said “there are opportunities to move further south in the (E)ast and possibly a couple of Midwest universities.”

    He did not specify any potential targets but said they will make sure any new school has “like-minded academic integrity.”

    The Athletic Council is expected to recommend formally today an increase in Ohio State football ticket prices from $70 to $79 with the addition of "premier" games that would cost significantly more. The board of trustees is expected to vote on the proposal late next week.

    http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/cont...s-ongoing.html
       

  28. #1528
    about expansion and “believes there is movement towards three or four super conferences that are made up of 16-20 teams.”
    4 playoff spots, four "super conferences".
       

  29. #1529
    Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Gee told Athletic Council Big Ten expansion talks "ongoing"




    Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee told the school’s Athletic Council in December that discussions about further expansion for the Big Ten conference are “ongoing.”

    In November, the league announced the addition of Maryland from the Atlantic Coast Conference and Rutgers from the Big East. Nebraska joined the Big Ten for the 2011-12 school year after leaving the Big 12.

    It doesn’t appear that the Big Ten is necessarily content to stay at 14 members. According to the minutes of the Dec. 5 Athletic Council meeting obtained by the Dispatch, Gee said “there has been ongoing discussion” about expansion and “believes there is movement towards three or four super conferences that are made up of 16-20 teams.”

    When a student member of the Athletic Council asked Gee what direction the Big Ten might take, Gee said “there are opportunities to move further south in the (E)ast and possibly a couple of Midwest universities.”

    He did not specify any potential targets but said they will make sure any new school has “like-minded academic integrity.”

    The Athletic Council is expected to recommend formally today an increase in Ohio State football ticket prices from $70 to $79 with the addition of "premier" games that would cost significantly more. The board of trustees is expected to vote on the proposal late next week.

    http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/cont...s-ongoing.html
    Kansas? Missouri? Norte Dame. Could it be anyone else?
       

  30. #1530
    DIB's Avatar
    Posts
    4,602
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tulsa

    Originally Posted by OrlandoSooner View Post
    Kansas? Missouri? Norte Dame. Could it be anyone else?
    Maybe they think the B1G needs a little MACtion injection.
       

  31. #1531
    Originally Posted by OrlandoSooner View Post
    Kansas? Missouri? Norte Dame. Could it be anyone else?
    UVA/UNC/GaTech

    Two of those three
       

  32. #1532
    Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    UVA/UNC/GaTech

    Two of those three

    Those aren't "Midwest"
       

  33. #1533
    silverwheels's Avatar
    Posts
    8,055
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    passing through nature to eternity

    Rutgers and Maryland aren't Midwest, either.
       

  34. #1534
    Originally Posted by OrlandoSooner View Post
    Those aren't "Midwest"
    Ya...those are more Middle East.
       

  35. #1535
    DIB's Avatar
    Posts
    4,602
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tulsa

    Maybe all this ACC talk is a distraction, while the B1G goes after Missouri and Kansas. I can't wait until Dodd comes out and says that 9 members is really the perfect number.
    The following users like this post: OU812

       

  36. #1536
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    4,923
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Can someone start a new thread when something of substance is actually said or happens? That way we do have to sift through 30+ pages of rumors.
    It would get merged in about 5 minutes, so what's the point?

    As for B1G taking Missouri, think of the ramification of that, the B1G taking from the perceived impenetrable SEC. Granted it's not the same as taking a Florida or Georgia, but it would be stealing from the school bully's lunch tray for sure.
       

  37. #1537
    Big 12 exploring alliance with ACC, two other leagues:

    http://www.statesman.com/news/sports...r-leagu/nT7Bt/
       

  38. #1538
    Originally Posted by DelMarSooner View Post
    Big 12 exploring alliance with ACC, two other leagues:

    http://www.statesman.com/news/sports...r-leagu/nT7Bt/
    “We’ve had conversations with three other leagues,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told the American-Statesman on Friday afternoon. “The ACC is one of them. It’s a process of discovery that would provide some of the benefits of larger membership without actually adding members.”
    Bowlsby declined to name the other two leagues, but the Pac-12 Conference is presumed to be one of them because that 12-team league is landlocked with the Big 12 to its east, which makes Pac-12 expansion with like major-college institutions more geographically prohibitive.
    Bowlsby said the topic would probably be discussed during the two-day meetings of the Big 12 athletic directors that begin Monday in Grapevine but stressed that “certainly nothing is imminent” about a potential alliance.
    Such a partnership would include football and basketball but could be expanded to other sports as well. The agreement could also involve participation between the leagues in bowl games to “share post-season inventory, allowing us more flexibility.”
    “It’s purely exploratory,” Bowlsby said, but added that the involved leagues have had “multiple discussions” about it.
    Bowlsby said the potential move should not be interpreted as a precursor to future expansion in light of the SEC’s additions of Texas A&M; and Missouri and the Big Ten’s more recent move to invite Maryland from the ACC and Rutgers from the Big Ten.
    “If anything, it’s the opposite,” Bowlsby said. “You can begin to get some advantages without taking on any of the disadvantages (of expansion). It’s one option that allows benefits. It’s kind of like friends with benefits. I
    ACC commissioner John Swofford could not be reached for comment.

    ==========================

    I'm betting ACC/Pac12 and MWC and we end up "expanding" without expanding by playing late season marquee games
       

  39. #1539
    Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Maybe all this ACC talk is a distraction, while the B1G goes after Missouri and Kansas. I can't wait until Dodd comes out and says that 9 members is really the perfect number.
    I think the talk about Midwest teams is the distraction. The B1G likely wants help from the Big 12 and/or SEC to break up the ACC. If they can arrange to carve up the ACC like 18th Century Poland, it will be easier to bypass any financial penalty from the ACC because the ACC would essentially no longer exist if 10 teams left to populate the B1G, SEC, and B12 into equal 16 team conferences. The B1G is basically going to 16 or even 20, whether any other conference cares to expand or not. They have the financial model to keep adding states and metro areas to its cable network. By floating the possibility of KU, Mizzou, maybe even OU as expansion options, it puts the Big 12 and SEC on alert that they could be threatened by the unstoppable force of B1G expansion. Why not just make it easier on yourselves, oh B12 and SEC, by helping us devour the same prey?!? Because we will be taking bites out of something...
       

  40. #1540
    What would the alliance even mean? Simply that the ACC would be our out of conference games?
       

  41. #1541
    That Statesman article is Texas and Dodd trying to slow this expansion stuff down. Texas doesn't want it because they know they could lose power if you bring in Clemson, FSU, Louisville and one other. Clemson and Louisville would align with us on issues. FSU to because they are likely to get put into the division with Texas.

    The talks are just stalling for time, unless they underlying deal is for us and Texas to somehow join the Pac 12 and get them/us to 16 or 20 in a conference.
    2 users like Al F***n Swearingen's post: OU48A, OU812

       

  42. #1542
    "Friends with benefits"...give me a break.
    In other words, we have just surrendered two playoff spots to the SEC and B1G Ten every year.
    And considering the position of the SEC #2, we're essentially rigging up a play-in for the 4th and last spot?

    However it specifically works out, I don't think I like it.
       

  43. #1543
    Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post

    ==========================

    I'm betting ACC/Pac12 and MWC and we end up "expanding" without expanding by playing late season marquee games
    Maybe so.

    We are still at a disadvantage without the 13th game that the ACC and PAC-12 have (CCG). Can you imagine the three-way argument between 12-1 USC, 12-1 FSU and 11-1 OU. Or say it's 11-2 Oregon and 11-1 OU and Oregon just beat 11-1 USC for the Pac-12 Title. We are on the outside looking in.

    We need to have a 13th game, a CCG on that final weekend for visibility.
    In other words, the PAC-12 and ACC champs could have 14 games under their belt when the playoff committee begins to deliberate. While the Big 12 champ would have 13. Maybe we'd be okay a lot of years...but you know there will be that one year that will cause a ****ing riot. Why not try to avoid that?

    I was wondering how the MWC would figure in...maybe that's it.
    Maybe the Big 12 champ and the MWC champ will play on CCG weekend giving us 13 before the effective 'quarterfinals'.

    Just thinking out loud, people. Don't crucify me.
       

  44. #1544
    Another aspect of B1G expansion to think about is the role of the CIC. The CIC benefits from adding more (good) schools into its own network, as it leads to shared resources and leveraged politics with the senators, governors, representatives, and Fortune 500 companies associated with the member institutions. Maryland's state and federal representatives are now budget advocates for the CIC and ostensibly all the member institutions therein. If the B1G keeps expanding, that's more advocates (or allies) in Congress, state capitals, and corporate America. What's good for one university in the CIC is good for all, and what's good for the CIC is good for each university (and thus the states and businesses connected to each university as well). So not only does the coercive tax of a subscriber fee for the Big 10 Network suggest continued spread into new population centers, so does the CIC encourage the same absorption of new territory. It's ingenious and I'm jealous of the strategic thinking.
    The following users like this post: OU812

       

  45. #1545
    oorah_okie's Avatar
    Posts
    23,098
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Westeros

    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Can someone start a new thread when something of substance is actually said or happens? That way we do have to sift through 30+ pages of rumors.
    We need a conference re-alignment subforum. This topic is beyond a single mega thread, which we've now had four of.
       

  46. #1546
       

  47. #1547
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    Maybe so.

    We are still at a disadvantage without the 13th game that the ACC and PAC-12 have (CCG). Can you imagine the three-way argument between 12-1 USC, 12-1 FSU and 11-1 OU. Or say it's 11-2 Oregon and 11-1 OU and Oregon just beat 11-1 USC for the Pac-12 Title. We are on the outside looking in.

    We need to have a 13th game, a CCG on that final weekend for visibility.
    In other words, the PAC-12 and ACC champs could have 14 games under their belt when the playoff committee begins to deliberate. While the Big 12 champ would have 13. Maybe we'd be okay a lot of years...but you know there will be that one year that will cause a ****ing riot. Why not try to avoid that?

    I was wondering how the MWC would figure in...maybe that's it.
    Maybe the Big 12 champ and the MWC champ will play on CCG weekend giving us 13 before the effective 'quarterfinals'.

    Just thinking out loud, people. Don't crucify me.
    We know that here have been requests to the NCAA to allow a conference semifinal by the SEC.

    If such a thing is possible, can you imagine a 24 team Big XII/PAC 12 with two cross divisional games at the end of the season (say PAC 1 vs B12 2 and the converse) to see who gets the two bids?

    Just another interesting possibility.
       

  48. #1548
    A PAC merger dropping WV making a 20 team super conference could be another possibility.
       

  49. #1549
    Is it time to unleash our lawyers yet?
    The following users like this post: DIB

       

  50. #1550
    His favorite team is BYU and will never be in the Big12
    x97's Avatar
    Posts
    233
    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Originally Posted by Al F***n Swearingen View Post
    That Statesman article is Texas and Dodd trying to slow this expansion stuff down. Texas doesn't want it because they know they could lose power if you bring in Clemson, FSU, Louisville and one other. Clemson and Louisville would align with us on issues. FSU to because they are likely to get put into the division with Texas.

    The talks are just stalling for time, unless they underlying deal is for us and Texas to somehow join the Pac 12 and get them/us to 16 or 20 in a conference.

    I think it is time to face the reality that you were duped. If anything, today's comments by Bowlsby were meant to throw water on a fire the Big 12 knew it couldn't deal with. ACC schools don't want to join the Big 12. They aren't going to be joining the Big 12. Bowlsby couldn't come across blunt because he knew the meltdown that would occur because bloggers in Big 12 land had created unrealistic expectations of what the Big 12 could get. This way he could douse the fire without looking like a complete imbecile.
       

Similar Threads

  1. *** Conference Apocalypse Part 3: A New Hope ***
    By usaosooner in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 3900
    Last Post: November 28th, 2012, 12:13 AM
  2. *** Conference Apocalypse Part 3: A New Hope ***
    By usaosooner in forum Heisman Park
    Replies: 3898
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
  3. *** Conference Apocalypse Part 2 ***
    By The in forum Heisman Park
    Replies: 3003
    Last Post: May 12th, 2012, 03:41 PM

Tags for this Thread