***Conference Apocalypse Part IV: The NeverEnding Story

Posted 732 day(s) ago by DelMarSooner160298 Views 2970 Replies
Page 19 of 60 9 17 18 19 20 21 29
    Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    I got a interesting email

================================================

First, there are very few people who know I have a Twitter account. I do not want people to know as I am not looking for that kind of attention. Twitter is a way for me to discuss things without having hundreds scrutinize every post

The information I have came strictly from contacts within ESPN and FOX. No input from any source associated with a school. I wanted you to read it and let me know what you think. I would like to post it somewhere but am not sure how to do so as it goes against "insiders" agendas... please read when you get the chance and let me know what you think.

I have debated posting this for a while now. It is the realignment saga from a different perspective and even though we have discussed this at length it is very interesting when put together. I will not claim this is 100% accurate but valid enough to share here. It is the story of why we are here now and why no one really knows where this is going. I have worked diligently on this angle for a while now. I apologize in advance for the length

It is no secret that greed is the sole driving force behind expansion. Every conference is jockeying for the most revenue and biggest footprint. We have discussed and speculated at length what is going through the minds of Swofford, Bowlsby, Slive, and Delany. We have waited for that first domino to fall. However, we have seemed to overlook who is truly driving expansion.

Expansion as we know it today started with the Big East snubbing their noses at ESPN and shopping their media rights. ESPN vowed to destroy the Big East and from all accounts has done so by encouraging others to raid the conference. Every step of the way ESPN dictated the Big East's moves.

FOX

FOX is trying to gain a foothold in cfb. Their acquisition of the YES network has given them a bigger avenue to accomplish this goal. They have vested interests in both the B1G and Big 12. There is an internal battle brewing between FOX and ESPN that many are not paying attention to. Where ESPN is trying to keep the status quo amongst all conferences FOX is trying to expand and increase their value.

ACC

ESPN owns everything ACC. Yes they lowballed the media contract but gave the ACC the five year look in as a way to increase the revenue if deemed necessary. Why would ESPN even put a clause into that contract? ESPN knew that they lowballed the conference and also knew expansion would change the face of the ACC, at least to a certain degree. The additional $2 million per school for Notre Dame was a way to increase the media contract without going back to the negotiation table. Despite the rumors ESPN has no desire to let the ACC falter. Especially to a conference such as the B1G where their weight is much less prevalent. Speaking of the ACC, do not be surprised to see UConn as the next addition to the conference even if they do not lose anyone else. The governor of Conn has called in a favor. There has been speculation that ESPN received a large tax break from the state and is now being told it is time to return the favor. Just like Rockefeller did with WVU and McConnell did with UL. ESPN now sees the ACC as an eventual avenue to Notre Dame. Losing control of the ACC could potentially mean losing Notre Dame to the B1G. Just like every conference, ESPN feels Notre Dame is a big prize.

Big 12

ESPN has repeatedly told the Big 12 they would not add any additional revenue no matter who was added, to include FSU. As we know ESPN, along with FOX, owes the vast majority of the media rights to the conference. Remember, ESPN made the finalization of the contract contingent upon the signing of the grant of rights. Is considered a way to ensure a solid long term media contract. What most of us overlook and frankly see as nothing more than a media contract is ESPN's role in the LHN. I am told, point blank, that this was a strategic move on behalf of ESPN. As I have stated in the past ESPN can not dictate the decisions of a school. However, ESPN has every right to dictate media contracts. By paying for the rights to the LHN ESPN has made UT and Dodds a puppet "per se". It has been relayed to me that ESPN has repeated told UT to block expansion. In return ESPN would put more effort into the LHN and grow it to what Dodds and UT always dreamed it would be. A few months ago Mack Brown complained of the LHN stating that "I never asked for it". You can read into that statement all you want. yes UT is only one vote but has for the longest time had it's finger on other schools within the conference. ESPN felt by controlling UT they could control expansion in the Big 12. I have also been told that ESPN was iatrical in getting A&M into the SEC. ESPN saw A&M as an equal power in the Big 12 and felt that as long as they were still a part of the conference that UT's desires could be trumped. FOX has informed the Big 12 that additions of FSU and Miami would yield returns that FOX is willing to pay. This is in direct contrast to what ESPN has stated. Big 12 expansion will be a result of necessity and FOX offering increased revenue. However, ESPN would more than likely pay the for the rights to the CCG, go figure.

B1G

This is the one conference that ESPN really has no say in. ESPN does have access to lower tier games but the B1G has discussed even taking those away. ESPN had tried to negotiate with the conference stating they would make it worth their while to slow expansion or take schools ESPN felt would not negatively affect the ACC. ESPN, just like they did with the Big 12, recommended Big East schools. This is one reason Syracuse came up recently in discussions. Is also why UConn has been tied to just about every conference at one time or another lately. Syracuse in particular would be a win-win for ESPN. Football schools were not thrilled about their addition and if they were to leave for the B1G the ACC would not lose.

SEC

ESPN was quick to jump on the new SEC network. In yet another attempt to solidify it's monopoly ESPN has already negotiated financials with the SEC. Again, it is speculation, but one reason the SEC has chosen to target UNC and Duke is because ESPN stated it would yield a hire return. Interestingly enough Slive, seeing dollar signs and buying that the SEC did not need to build an already strong football conference agreed it. No one will EVER admit to anyone getting the better of Slive, apparently he walks on water. However, ESPN has sold him on the two most difficult schools in the ACC to obtain. The only way Slive gets his money is for the total disintegration of the ACC, which ESPN is working against.

In conclusion, I just wanted to share this information as I found it interesting. Again, I am not proclaiming this as gossip. And I am sure I will be attacked by some "insiders" for sharing this as it goes against almost everyones agenda. However, I don't post with agenda's. I post what I have been told and share without bias. This is why I have not been so quick jump on the ACC demise bandwagon. I feel it is also a reason why so many deadlines proclaimed have come and gone. It is just not conference commissioners making the decisions. ESPN is doing all they can to keep their investments intact. There is so much more but I feel I have relayed the just of what I have gathered. And like the title states, much of this is considered a conspiracy theory but when look upon in context it does paint a picture.
    One point he has skipped over is just how much power the SEC has. The SEC could decide not to partner with ESPN on their network and go for the Big 1G model. If they went that route they could wait until the 2nd Tier Rights deal expires with ESPN and keep that content as well. If they did this in collaboration with the Big 1G it would effectively destroy ESPN's control of CFB, without SEC and Big 1G content ESPN would die on the vine in terms of CFB programming. They also have the threat of doing a deal with Fox instead of ESPN which would change the game as significantly as when the NFL left CBS for Fox so many years ago.

Of course the SEC doesn't want to do that. They would rather stick with ESPN but they are going to get more than a few hundred pounds of flesh in the process. If you think the SEC controls college football content on Sportscenter now you haven't seen anything. This is part of why the SEC Network numbers are going to be ridiculous and ESPN is essentially going to go "all in" with the SEC. As an interesting tidbit btw the proposed location for the headquarters of the SEC Network? Charlotte, NC. Read into that what you wish. If you look at the SEC Digital Network online you can also tell they basically have everything being put in place now, the production value for content on the website is top notch.

Oh, and I wouldn't EVER bet against Mike Slive in anything. That dude sees about 8 moves ahead on the chess board and is an expert at getting things to break his way without directly being the cause. For instance he won't be the one to make a call to any ACC school to break up the conference, he will just make sure the schools he wants know they have an invite under the table and wait for other conferences to shatter the conference forcing the schools that have the most value and don't want to move to come his way.
    The following users like this post: bamasooner1

Originally Posted by S11-Baylor View Post
    I have heard they may be one vote shy of that due to Temple coming in early. Who knows? It's one big mess that will be sure to rack up tons of billable hours for their respective legal teams- the REAL winners of realignment...
    From what I've read, Temple doesn't have a vote on that until June 1.

Originally Posted by aggressor View Post
    One point he has skipped over is just how much power the SEC has. The SEC could decide not to partner with ESPN on their network and go for the Big 1G model. If they went that route they could wait until the 2nd Tier Rights deal expires with ESPN and keep that content as well. If they did this in collaboration with the Big 1G it would effectively destroy ESPN's control of CFB, without SEC and Big 1G content ESPN would die on the vine in terms of CFB programming. They also have the threat of doing a deal with Fox instead of ESPN which would change the game as significantly as when the NFL left CBS for Fox so many years ago.

Of course the SEC doesn't want to do that. They would rather stick with ESPN but they are going to get more than a few hundred pounds of flesh in the process. If you think the SEC controls college football content on Sportscenter now you haven't seen anything. This is part of why the SEC Network numbers are going to be ridiculous and ESPN is essentially going to go "all in" with the SEC. As an interesting tidbit btw the proposed location for the headquarters of the SEC Network? Charlotte, NC. Read into that what you wish. If you look at the SEC Digital Network online you can also tell they basically have everything being put in place now, the production value for content on the website is top notch.

Oh, and I wouldn't EVER bet against Mike Slive in anything. That dude sees about 8 moves ahead on the chess board and is an expert at getting things to break his way without directly being the cause. For instance he won't be the one to make a call to any ACC school to break up the conference, he will just make sure the schools he wants know they have an invite under the table and wait for other conferences to shatter the conference forcing the schools that have the most value and don't want to move to come his way.
    except the SEC really can't do that ... they only control 1 home game each .. for the next 10 years .. and you can't start a network with a bunch of 1AA games and bad non conf basketball ...

with ESPN as a partner they can put any non CBS game on the new SEC network .. just like the pac 12 is doing .. and that is how they get distrobution and high per household fees ..

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    From what I've read, Temple doesn't have a vote on that until June 1.
    I'm pretty sure they already vote since they already participate in the league.

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

Wow, reading that makes you sound like someone talking about a cult... but, then again, folks in collie station are kind of pre-dispositioned for brain washing anyway. You DO have a scoreboard for the dog grave yard... and you planted trees in honor of students killed by falling logs... All that's missing is the "S... E... C..." chant.

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    except the SEC really can't do that ... they only control 1 home game each .. for the next 10 years .. and you can't start a network with a bunch of 1AA games and bad non conf basketball ...

with ESPN as a partner they can put any non CBS game on the new SEC network .. just like the pac 12 is doing .. and that is how they get distrobution and high per household fees ..
    Sure they could, that's exactly what the Big 1G Network is. At a minimum you still have 14 games plus a ton of basketball and baseball (the SEC has quality baseball). You also have 14 coaches shows and a ton of other avenues for content, just look at ESPNU and "SEC Storied" and how many "30 for 30" episodes they have that are based around SEC schools. That doesn't count buying some other Tier 2 games from ESPN that they currently sell to Fox or the virtual SEC Network which is just a group of stations that broadcast a game every week now. It certainly won't be anything close to as big as it could be in the short term but it would be good enough to get picked up on basic cable in likely every SEC state. Once the Tier 2 deal expires it would explode.

As I said though, that's not what the SEC wants to do. The point is that they COULD do it just as the Big 1G has. They also could make a deal with Fox or with NBC which is trying to start a sports network. It's the leverage that matters. The SEC has options and ESPN has built their CFB coverage around the SEC. The threat of it leaving would be devastating and thus they will pay just about anything to prevent that from happening and agree to just about anything the SEC wants in terms of content. It's a win/win for the SEC and ESPN but both sides have huge leverage in the negotiations.

The SEC wants ESPN because they are the best brand with the most viewership and Sportscenter dominates all other sports news shows. ESPN wants the SEC because they are the strongest CFB brand and they have built their programming around them. It's going to work out but the SEC is going to want a deal that dwarfs the other conferences and they will almost certainly get it.

Originally Posted by S11-Baylor View Post
    I'm pretty sure they already vote since they already participate in the league.
    From the above linked article:
    A source told ESPN on Wednesday that Temple, as a football-only member, has voting rights but can't vote on dissolution of the league. With Temple unable to vote, that gives the seven basketball schools enough votes to dissolve the league.

Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    Wow, reading that makes you sound like someone talking about a cult... but, then again, folks in collie station are kind of pre-dispositioned for brain washing anyway. You DO have a scoreboard for the dog grave yard... and you planted trees in honor of students killed by falling logs... All that's missing is the "S... E... C..." chant.
    Don't disagree with that but it doesn't change the truth of it. Like it or not, fair or unfair, the SEC has put itself in a position to dominate college football coverage and it has been a very well thought out and deliberate plan to get it there. A&M joining was just one piece of the puzzle. I had no idea just how powerful the SEC was or how well run the conference office was until we joined, the folks in Birmingham basically act like they are the NFL lite. By contrast in the Big 12 I could barely remember where the conference was even headquartered and the schools work much more in autonomy. The SEC looks at every issue in terms of how the conference can get stronger as a whole, while some members do get preferential treatment from time to time every member is taken care of and has an equal say.

From A&M's perspective they have benefitted because the conference desperately wants to solidify itself in the Texas market and all the TV sets there. That's why we got the UF game to start and it was placed on a weekend where they knew we would get Gameday. For Mizzou they got UGA at home on the same day and made a huge show of it as well, though not as big as what they did for A&M. By contrast TCU started on the road at KU and WVU got Baylor at home. The Big 12 missed a great opportunity to make a show out of both schools entering the league.

The Big 12 could really be great but the schools need to work together and think long term, that's how the SEC, Big 1G, and Pac 12 have done it.

Sure they could, that's exactly what the Big 1G Network is. At a minimum you still have 14 games plus a ton of basketball and baseball (the SEC has quality baseball). You also have 14 coaches shows and a ton of other avenues for content, just look at ESPNU and "SEC Storied" and how many "30 for 30" episodes they have that are based around SEC schools. That doesn't count buying some other Tier 2 games from ESPN that they currently sell to Fox or the virtual SEC Network which is just a group of stations that broadcast a game every week now. It certainly won't be anything close to as big as it could be in the short term but it would be good enough to get picked up on basic cable in likely every SEC state. Once the Tier 2 deal expires it would explode.

As I said though, that's not what the SEC wants to do. The point is that they COULD do it just as the Big 1G has. They also could make a deal with Fox or with NBC which is trying to start a sports network. It's the leverage that matters. The SEC has options and ESPN has built their CFB coverage around the SEC. The threat of it leaving would be devastating and thus they will pay just about anything to prevent that from happening and agree to just about anything the SEC wants in terms of content. It's a win/win for the SEC and ESPN but both sides have huge leverage in the negotiations.

The SEC wants ESPN because they are the best brand with the most viewership and Sportscenter dominates all other sports news shows. ESPN wants the SEC because they are the strongest CFB brand and they have built their programming around them. It's going to work out but the SEC is going to want a deal that dwarfs the other conferences and they will almost certainly get it.
    that is not what the BTN did .. they own rights to conf games and lots of non conf games ..

espn owns all the sec tv rights except 14 games a year .. and lots of weeks where they have no rights

espn is not going to sell content back to a non espn owned (at least in part) network ...

the SEC network will look pretty much just like the BTN 50/50 owned ... but with espn instead of fox ..

From A&M's perspective they have benefitted because the conference desperately wants to solidify itself in the Texas market and all the TV sets there. That's why we got the UF game to start and it was placed on a weekend where they knew we would get Gameday. For Mizzou they got UGA at home on the same day and made a huge show of it as well, though not as big as what they did for A&M. By contrast TCU started on the road at KU and WVU got Baylor at home. The Big 12 missed a great opportunity to make a show out of both schools entering the league.

The Big 12 could really be great but the schools need to work together and think long term, that's how the SEC, Big 1G, and Pac 12 have done it.
    That's because the Big 12 added, well, not the best teams, but only added to stay alive. TCU and WVU, not real exciting. The Big 12 can't work together because it's a ten team conference where each individual team is stronger than the conference. On a side note, the Big 12 is the only conference that doesn't put the logo on the teams uniforms, again because each team is stronger than the conference. All the more reason to blow it up now rather than in 13 years from now when the god forsaking GOR expires. Anywhere but here would be better!
    The following users like this post: Orion

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    that is not what the BTN did .. they own rights to conf games and lots of non conf games ..

espn owns all the sec tv rights except 14 games a year .. and lots of weeks where they have no rights

espn is not going to sell content back to a non espn owned (at least in part) network ...

the SEC network will look pretty much just like the BTN 50/50 owned ... but with espn instead of fox ..
    ESPN sells a couple games a week now to the SEC Network and Fox. It's no different than the LHN buying games to add. They would also work with the SEC out of fear the SEC would just take their 2nd Tier rights back when the deal expires.

It's not happening anyway but it is possible and thus the leverage exists. ESPN needs the SEC, they have built too much around it to lose it.

Originally Posted by orey22 View Post
    That's because the Big 12 added, well, not the best teams, but only added to stay alive. TCU and WVU, not real exciting. The Big 12 can't work together because it's a ten team conference where each individual team is stronger than the conference. On a side note, the Big 12 is the only conference that doesn't put the logo on the teams uniforms, again because each team is stronger than the conference. All the more reason to blow it up now rather than in 13 years from now when the god forsaking GOR expires. Anywhere but here would be better!
    Agree on those points but it doesn't have to be that way. It's not like Miss State adds a lot of value to the SEC but they still get treated respectfully and the conference does all they can to help them. If the Big 12 would change its attitude and add some ACC teams it could be a much better conference than the Pac 12/16. The problem is Texas likes to run the show and OU was always one of the "Big 2" back to the Big 8 days. OU is more open to sharing power but Texas will never change the way it does things until Dodds is gone and maybe not then. OU could help force that change by banding together with the other 8 schools not named Texas.

Agree on those points but it doesn't have to be that way. It's not like Miss State adds a lot of value to the SEC but they still get treated respectfully and the conference does all they can to help them. If the Big 12 would change its attitude and add some ACC teams it could be a much better conference than the Pac 12/16. The problem is Texas likes to run the show and OU was always one of the "Big 2" back to the Big 8 days. OU is more open to sharing power but Texas will never change the way it does things until Dodds is gone and maybe not then. OU could help force that change by banding together with the other 8 schools not named Texas.
    The problem is the Big 12 is only better than the Big East, and maybe the ACC. Nebraska with it's national titles left, Coloardo with it's national titles left, and even Texas A&M left with its titles back in the day. All these teams were wrong to leave? They went to greener pastures, while OU sat around, or tried and failed to get into the PAC. There is nothing the Big 12 can do to overtake any of the big boys, even adding FSU and Clemson, not sure that brings us up to the SEC level. My issue is the Big 12 simply put is OU / Texas, and eight Mississippi State schools. There are very little traditional football powers left in the Big 12, and it's sad OU is so screwed going forward. Thank you David Boren.
    2 users like orey22's post: bamasooner1, Orion

The problem is the Big 12 is only better than the Big East, and maybe the ACC. Nebraska with it's national titles left, Coloardo with it's 1/2 of a tainted national title left, and even Texas A&M left with its titles back in the day. All these teams were wrong to leave? They went to greener pastures, while OU sat around, or tried and failed to get into the PAC. There is nothing the Big 12 can do to overtake any of the big boys, even adding FSU and Clemson, not sure that brings us up to the SEC level. My issue is the Big 12 simply put is OU / Texas, and eight Mississippi State schools. There are very little traditional football powers left in the Big 12, and it's sad OU is so screwed going forward. Thank you David Boren.
    FIFY

On a side note, the Big 12 is the only conference that doesn't put the logo on the teams uniforms,
    Side note or not, it's actually a good point.
    The 'branding' of the Big 12 sucks hard.

There should be a Big 12 logo on EVERYTHING during broadcasts.

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post

and if there was, you would be ****ing about it being everywhere.

It's a non issue.

The logo sucks.

Then improve the ****ing logo. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    and if there was, you would be ****ing about it being everywhere.

It's a non issue.
    You know exactly dick about how I would react other than what I've said.
    Which is to actually SUGGEST that it should happen. It's only a non-issue to those in a state of denial about the plummeting reputation of the Big 12.

SoonerBounce Guest

Then improve the ****ing logo. Problem solved.

You know exactly dick about how I would react other than what I've said.
    Which is to actually SUGGEST that it should happen. It's only a non-issue to those in a state of denial about the plummeting reputation of the Big 12.
    I know how you would act. You people are all the same. Have to have something to **** about

Originally Posted by The View Post
    The logo sucks.
    Can we put this logo on Owen Field then?

5 users like Redhawk's post: boomhorn., DelMarSooner, MichaelJackson'sNose, OU812, oubozfan44

Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post

Please no... that would be horrible...

I know how you would act. You people are all the same. Have to have something to **** about
    sounds just like Bounce IYAM

The 7 Catholic BE schools agree to get out.....but how?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ss-source-says

Originally Posted by the-rover View Post
    The 7 Catholic BE schools agree to get out.....but how?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ss-source-says
    The big east is good as dead.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    The big east is good as dead.
    Tulane is getting the blame for being the straw that broke the Catholic, basketball-only school's collective back.

Wouldn't that be grand, oh that's right Boren would open his mouth, and it would all fall apart. He should take that billion dollar endowment, and buy his way out of the GOR...oh that's right he's the genius who came up with the GOR idea.

Would love it. I understand that they want a home run to bring Texas in also but their losing value...quickly. They need OU at least to get back on the map

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: ***Conference Apocalypse Part IV: The NeverEnding Story

Thank GOD the Pac deal fell through. I still can't for the life of me understand why any OU fan would want any part of the Pac. The Big XII as it is NOW is better than the Pac for football and for money.
    2 users like MikeLucky's post: bamasooner1, DarrellS011

Originally Posted by urquhart View Post
    Tulane is getting the blame for being the straw that broke the Catholic, basketball-only school's collective back.
    Ahh...the Jewish martyr

Thank GOD the Pac deal fell through. I still can't for the life of me understand why any OU fan would want any part of the Pac. The Big XII as it is NOW is better than the Pac for football and for money.
    4 top 20 BCS schools in the PAC (Oregon, Stanford, Oregon St, UCLA) vs 2 in the Big 12 (K-state & OU). As far as money it's pretty close. Give the PAC a few years to get going, and then they will make more.

Throw in the fact that we get in a conference that everyone is equal and gets equal vs living under the shadow of Texas and the Texas "sword of Damocles" which is them leaving to be Independence. And if you think that's crap, then we would be in a stable conference that isn't losing members, and isn't fixing to lose any, PLUS we would get to keep some regional rivals too.

I would also love the B1G if we went with Texas, and Kansas and got reunited with the Corn Shuckers

Dude - go away.

Pac=2 bcs teams
    Big 12=1 bcs team

If we went there, the money would follow.

Not just NO, HELL NO!

The Pac is for pussies.

Since realignment is driven in part by TV ratings it might be worth taking a look back at a partial list of the TV rating.
    I am surprised that the OU Texas game was rated so low. A later kick off time might earn better TV ratings.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...e-this-season/

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Since realignment is driven in part by TV ratings it might be worth taking a look back at a partial list of the TV rating.
    I am surprised that the OU Texas game was rated so low. A later kick off time might earn better TV ratings.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...e-this-season/
    ^Considering the early kick-off, the fact both teams had already lost a game, and the fact Texas hasn't fielded a good team in 3 years, I think the rating wasn't that bad.

Originally Posted by Camel at Sea View Post
    ^Considering the early kick-off, the fact both teams had already lost a game, and the fact Texas hasn't fielded a good team in 3 years, I think the rating wasn't that bad.
    Maybe it isn’t that bad all things considered….

But I wonder if the TV folks might someday throw enough money at both schools to someday make this a night game….... Of course certain safetymeasures would be needed in the area.
    I am not sure how much more money the networks make for every .1 of additional ratings they earn.

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Maybe it isn’t that bad all things considered….

But I wonder if the TV folks might someday throw enough money at both schools to someday make this a night game….... Of course certain safetymeasures would be needed in the area.
    I am not sure how much more money the networks make for every .1 of additional ratings they earn.
    I don't ever want a night time kickoff for the game, but I wouldn't mind an afternoon kickoff with the game getting something on par with "SEC on CBS" treatment from the marketing/production end of things.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

I still can't for the life of me understand why any OU fan would want any part of the Pac.
    Because I live in Los Angeles and wouldn't have to travel far to see OU play at least every other year.
    The following users like this post: oubozfan44

The problem is the Big 12 is only better than the Big East, and maybe the ACC. Nebraska with it's national titles left, Coloardo with it's national titles left, and even Texas A&M left with its titles back in the day. All these teams were wrong to leave? They went to greener pastures, while OU sat around, or tried and failed to get into the PAC. There is nothing the Big 12 can do to overtake any of the big boys, even adding FSU and Clemson, not sure that brings us up to the SEC level. My issue is the Big 12 simply put is OU / Texas, and eight Mississippi State schools. There are very little traditional football powers left in the Big 12, and it's sad OU is so screwed going forward. Thank you David Boren.
    Are you serious? Losing Nebraska might have hurt but they had not been relevant for almost a decade. Missouri had a couple of good years but they have barely won 50% of their games. A&M probably hurts a little but they are identical to Arkansas with a 55% win record. Colorado was good riddance and did more to harm the Pac 12 than the Big 12. Only one good team represented the north since 2000. If there weren't divisions, two south teams probably would've played in the CCG just about every year. And no, Texas A&M wasn't one of those teams. Oklahoma didn't try and fail to get into the Pac 16. They were the one school that convinced the rest of the teams that were still here to stay. They knew that this was the best conference next to the SEC and there was no reason to kill it because Nebraska was disgruntled and the Big 10 and Pac 10 were on a shopping spree. Maybe when college football falls apart when the playoffs get here (shit, it already is because of all the greed) and everyone starts forming 20 team conferences or we drop the bottom 60 irrelevant teams then Oklahoma might make a move but I would bet that they went independent before they joined a huge conference that they had to share all their belongings with.

The Big 12 has been the 2nd best conference for over a decade and losing the a fore mentioned teams has done nothing to change that. The Big 12 was by far the best conference last year and are a close 2nd to the SEC this year. The SEC is top heavy but the Big 12 has nine teams in the top 66. The SEC is the only other conference that can say that this year but normally the SEC is just top heavy but weak the rest of the way down. The Big 12 is usually strong top to bottom with one or two bottom feeders.

Here is the average rank of the conferences from my power ratings,

RK TEAM ................. W`-`L . OPPG DPPG . OR DR RPR . .SOS . WIN% . PRED . RATING
    46 SEC.................. 105-65 . 30.2 22.9 . 70 37 107 . .738 . .618 . 79.2 . `78.23
    46 BIG 12................ 71-49 . 35.8 29.5 . 76 31 106 . .756 . .592 . 80.4 . `76.12
    54 INDEPENDENT........... 29-19 . 26.2 20.8 . 66 39 105 . .695 . .604 . 73.3 . `70.81
    54 BIG TEN............... 83-63 . 27.7 24.0 . 68 36 104 . .724 . .568 . 75.1 . `68.30
    55 PAC 12................ 80-66 . 30.6 27.4 . 71 33 103 . .746 . .548 . 77.0 . `67.53
    61 BIG EAST.............. 53-42 . 25.5 22.3 . 66 38 103 . .683 . .558 . 70.5 . `62.90
    65 ACC................... 76-70 . 29.8 27.2 . 70 33 103 . .697 . .521 . 71.5 . `59.53
    66 WAC................... 43-41 . 30.8 31.4 . 71 29 `99 . .664 . .512 . 66.0 . `54.09
    72 MAC................... 79-79 . 27.8 29.5 . 68 31 `98 . .663 . .500 . 65.2 . `52.15
    73 MWC................... 58-64 . 28.7 28.6 . 69 31 100 . .670 . .475 . 67.2 . `51.09
    74 SUN BELT.............. 57-64 . 27.7 28.5 . 68 32 `99 . .674 . .471 . 66.8 . `50.39
    82 C-USA................. 61-85 . 29.4 32.3 . 69 28 `97 . .668 . .418 . 64.8 . `43.31

It's the Big Ten and the Pac 12 that are a hair better than the Big East and ACC.

West Virginia has 15 conference titles and is the 14th winningest Div I program. They have a better history than Mizzou.

you people? you people?!

As grand as OU/TX is, no ****ing way I go to that part of Dallas for a night game. Can't even imagine that shithole at 11:00 pm on a Saturday. Is the Fair even open that late?

Originally Posted by DarrellS011 View Post
    Are you serious? Losing Nebraska might have hurt but they had not been relevant for almost a decade. Missouri had a couple of good years but they have barely won 50% of their games. A&M probably hurts a little but they are identical to Arkansas with a 55% win record. Colorado was good riddance and did more to harm the Pac 12 than the Big 12. Only one good team represented the north since 2000. If there weren't divisions, two south teams probably would've played in the CCG just about every year. And no, Texas A&M wasn't one of those teams. Oklahoma didn't try and fail to get into the Pac 16. They were the one school that convinced the rest of the teams that were still here to stay. They knew that this was the best conference next to the SEC and there was no reason to kill it because Nebraska was disgruntled and the Big 10 and Pac 10 were on a shopping spree. Maybe when college football falls apart when the playoffs get here (shit, it already is because of all the greed) and everyone starts forming 20 team conferences or we drop the bottom 60 irrelevant teams then Oklahoma might make a move but I would bet that they went independent before they joined a huge conference that they had to share all their belongings with.

The Big 12 has been the 2nd best conference for over a decade and losing the a fore mentioned teams has done nothing to change that. The Big 12 was by far the best conference last year and are a close 2nd to the SEC this year. The SEC is top heavy but the Big 12 has nine teams in the top 66. The SEC is the only other conference that can say that this year but normally the SEC is just top heavy but weak the rest of the way down. The Big 12 is usually strong top to bottom with one or two bottom feeders.

Here is the average rank of the conferences from my power ratings,

RK TEAM ................. W`-`L . OPPG DPPG . OR DR RPR . .SOS . WIN% . PRED . RATING
    46 SEC.................. 105-65 . 30.2 22.9 . 70 37 107 . .738 . .618 . 79.2 . `78.23
    46 BIG 12................ 71-49 . 35.8 29.5 . 76 31 106 . .756 . .592 . 80.4 . `76.12
    54 INDEPENDENT........... 29-19 . 26.2 20.8 . 66 39 105 . .695 . .604 . 73.3 . `70.81
    54 BIG TEN............... 83-63 . 27.7 24.0 . 68 36 104 . .724 . .568 . 75.1 . `68.30
    55 PAC 12................ 80-66 . 30.6 27.4 . 71 33 103 . .746 . .548 . 77.0 . `67.53
    61 BIG EAST.............. 53-42 . 25.5 22.3 . 66 38 103 . .683 . .558 . 70.5 . `62.90
    65 ACC................... 76-70 . 29.8 27.2 . 70 33 103 . .697 . .521 . 71.5 . `59.53
    66 WAC................... 43-41 . 30.8 31.4 . 71 29 `99 . .664 . .512 . 66.0 . `54.09
    72 MAC................... 79-79 . 27.8 29.5 . 68 31 `98 . .663 . .500 . 65.2 . `52.15
    73 MWC................... 58-64 . 28.7 28.6 . 69 31 100 . .670 . .475 . 67.2 . `51.09
    74 SUN BELT.............. 57-64 . 27.7 28.5 . 68 32 `99 . .674 . .471 . 66.8 . `50.39
    82 C-USA................. 61-85 . 29.4 32.3 . 69 28 `97 . .668 . .418 . 64.8 . `43.31

It's the Big Ten and the Pac 12 that are a hair better than the Big East and ACC.
    I guess we disagree, The Big 12 lost 4 teams, oh and then added a Big East Team ( mega conference that it is ) and MWC Team ( loaded with national title teams ) to get stronger so be it. If you are saying the Big 12 is the 2nd best conference why not stay at 8 teams when they had the chance?

Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    As grand as OU/TX is, no ****ing way I go to that part of Dallas for a night game. Can't even imagine that shithole at 11:00 pm on a Saturday. Is the Fair even open that late?
    Yep, it's open that late, and there's always a few shootings and muggings, and gang violance with the State Fair week.

And you can rest easy....I can't see under ANY circumstances, that OU or UT will have a night game in the State Fair.

I wanted you to read it and let me know what you think. I would like to post it somewhere but am not sure how to do so as it goes against "insiders" agendas... please read when you get the chance and let me know what you think.
    You should tell the person who emailed you that people would take them more seriously if they didn't write like a third grader. The whole time I was reading that my mind was struggling with the quality of the information vs the fact that it looks like it was written by a 32 year old conspiracy theorist from his mom's basement.
    The following users like this post: The

And its becoming more and more clear to me that the B12 is a dead conference walking. Everyone saying the B12 is the second best conference is living in the past.

The conspiracy theorist in me sees the GOR, the LHN and the moves other conferences are making; and says "They are trying to get us locked in just long enough that we dont affect conference realignment. Then if the B12 is stagnant and their perception is terrible (which it will be in 13 years) Texas can just go independent and all will be well.

At this point I'd be happy in the SEC, B1G or PAC; just get us out of the B12.
    3 users like ResidentEvil's post: lobster999, OU812, the-rover

I got a interesting email

================================================

Big 12

ESPN has repeatedly told the Big 12 they would not add any additional revenue no matter who was added, to include FSU. As we know ESPN, along with FOX, owes the vast majority of the media rights to the conference. Remember, ESPN made the finalization of the contract contingent upon the signing of the grant of rights. Is considered a way to ensure a solid long term media contract. What most of us overlook and frankly see as nothing more than a media contract is ESPN's role in the LHN. I am told, point blank, that this was a strategic move on behalf of ESPN. As I have stated in the past ESPN can not dictate the decisions of a school. However, ESPN has every right to dictate media contracts. By paying for the rights to the LHN ESPN has made UT and Dodds a puppet "per se". It has been relayed to me that ESPN has repeated told UT to block expansion. In return ESPN would put more effort into the LHN and grow it to what Dodds and UT always dreamed it would be. A few months ago Mack Brown complained of the LHN stating that "I never asked for it". You can read into that statement all you want. yes UT is only one vote but has for the longest time had it's finger on other schools within the conference. ESPN felt by controlling UT they could control expansion in the Big 12. I have also been told that ESPN was iatrical in getting A&M into the SEC. ESPN saw A&M as an equal power in the Big 12 and felt that as long as they were still a part of the conference that UT's desires could be trumped. FOX has informed the Big 12 that additions of FSU and Miami would yield returns that FOX is willing to pay. This is in direct contrast to what ESPN has stated. Big 12 expansion will be a result of necessity and FOX offering increased revenue. However, ESPN would more than likely pay the for the rights to the CCG, go figure.
    This shit wouldn't surprise me in the least...typical corporatist America...and the rich get richer and money = power.

I guess we disagree, The Big 12 lost 4 teams, oh and then added a Big East Team ( mega conference that it is ) and MWC Team ( loaded with national title teams ) to get stronger so be it. If you are saying the Big 12 is the 2nd best conference why not stay at 8 teams when they had the chance?
    What does West Virginia and TCU being from lesser conferences have to do with the strength of the Big 12?

The Big East was a good conference before the ACC raided it and got this whole expansion idea started. Miami, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Boston College, Pitt and Syracuse are all in the top 36 in win %.. The Big East was the 2nd best conference in 2000, 2006 and 2009, 3rd in 2007 and 4th in 2008.

We would’ve been better off if we had taken TCU over Baylor in the first place. TCU has more wins than Baylor, oSu, Kansas, Iowa St and K-State.

We went to ten teams because adding two historically winning football programs helped the strength of the conference and still let us play a round robin without the need for a CCG which although brought the conference more money, did more to harm the conference when it came to BCS bowls and championships. We could’ve loaded up on bottom feeders like other conferences have done to try and create more stability but it would’ve diluted the conference.

Off the top of my head:

-- Tie in with the Rose Bowl
    -- Away games at Outzen, The Coliseum, Rose Bowl, Seattle, Palo Alto, Boulder
    -- Conference academic affiliation with Stanford, USC, Cal, UCLA, Washington
    -- Basketball tourney in Las Vegas
    -- Increased exposure in the entire Western United States by regularly playing games in those areas
    -- Selling recruits in Texas, Oklahoma on the above points
    -- World class production quality of a conference network
    4 users like DelMarSooner's post: orey22, OU812, oubozfan44, soonerintn

Last edited by DelMarSooner; December 15th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.