The New Orleans...Pelicans?

Posted 635 day(s) ago 2109 Views 47 Replies

2 users like OrangeBlossom's post: Irish_Sooner, VRO405

HAAA. They'll be called the Pelicants before they stich up the jerseys. All the great original nicknames they could have picked and they go with that. Be the ****ing Gumbo, Bourbons, Quarters, Monsieurs, Po' Boys, RED beans, Captains, CRESCENTS, anything before that trainwreck of a mascot.

SoonerBounce Guest

Lol and the others options were krewe and brass

New Orleans Hurricanes... Nice ring to it. Too soon?

Professional sports teams are starting to walk a fine line here... I mean, what are we watching now? Lady sports?

New Orleans Katrinas

Pelicans is just a dumb name. Although, I do agree that the Hornets name should go back to Charlotte. I've never understood why more teams don't leave the names behind when they move. The Jazz makes no sense in Utah. Lakers is a stupid name in L.A. Supersonics would have been out of place in OKC. I'm glad we left the name in Seattle.
    The following users like this post: 2SBTM

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    New Orleans Katrinas

Pelicans is just a dumb name. Although, I do agree that the Hornets name should go back to Charlotte. I've never understood why more teams don't leave the names behind when they move. The Jazz makes no sense in Utah. Lakers is a stupid name in L.A. Supersonics would have been out of place in OKC. I'm glad we left the name in Seattle.
    This is something that has always bothered me. There needs to be an NBA name realignment rush to get everyone correct names or have them restored to the cities where they belong.

Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    This is something that has always bothered me. There needs to be an NBA name realignment rush to get everyone correct names or have them restored to the cities where they belong.
    For kicks and giggles, what would you choose for Utah's new name? Utah Generics? What about L.A.? L.A. Prima Donnas?

SoonerBounce Guest
    New Orleans Katrinas

sonics would have been awesome in okc
    For kicks and giggles, what would you choose for Utah's new name? Utah Generics? What about L.A.? L.A. Prima Donnas?
    LA plastics

Lemme think on this and I'll return with kickass suggestions. Or at least ideas.

Just get it over with...LA Kobe and 4 other dudes.
    The following users like this post: traxx

The following users like this post: Irish_Sooner

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    sonics would have been awesome in okc

LA plastics
    At this point the Lakers is such a fixture to change it would be semi blasphemous

Just to piss off Seattle even more we could have gone with OKC Sonic for our inaugural season but have it be like the drive-up restaurant with an overweight Jerry West("the NBA logo") like figure for our logo ... Anyone? Okay nm then

Logo

2 users like OrangeBlossom's post: drumhead23us, usaosooner

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post

Logo
    The following users like this post: VRO405

Last edited by OrangeBlossom; April 18th, 2013 at 11:55 AM.

Ragin' Cajuns is a badass name, they shoulda stole that

Wasn't the name Pelicans formerly for their minor league baseball team?

SoonerBounce Guest

I kinda like it

Thunder is to Oklahoma as Pelican is to Louisiana.

Thunder colors are represented in the state flag. The pelican is seen on the state flag.

I like the name. It's unique and unusual at the same time. The main logo and other logos are badass!

Although, it sounds kinda weird saying New Orleans Pelicans as it doesn't roll off tongue nicely. One of the logos has Crescent City on it.

Crescent City Pelicans sounds better than New Orleans Pelicans.
    3 users like EdHarrisIsMyHero's post: COLLISON ANGRY, oucub23, sovasooner

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    Ragin' Cajuns is a badass name, they shoulda stole that
    Believe it or not, ULL fans make LSU fans look normal.
    They tried to fight our parents in the stands at a hockey game. Fortunately, a sibling is a MMA champ and got everyone out.
    I hate the entire state.

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    I kinda like it
    Great minds think alike.

I'm on board with Ed Harris up there ^.

Pelicans is a name that makes sense for the region, and it's unique in that it's not used by any other franchise in the big four major sports or the NCAA (that I'm aware of).

It's not a dumb name, and there are plenty of those out there: Nets, Suns, Heat, Nationals are all boring and lifeless. I'd include Thunder but I'm biased and that bias has led me to actually like it over the last few years.

Originally Posted by Mosh For Jesus View Post
    I'm on board with Ed Harris up there ^.

Pelicans is a name that makes sense for the region, and it's unique in that it's not used by any other franchise in the big four major sports or the NCAA (that I'm aware of).

It's not a dumb name, and there are plenty of those out there: Nets, Suns, Heat, Nationals are all boring and lifeless. I'd include Thunder but I'm biased and that bias has led me to actually like it over the last few years.
    Personally, I think the Montreal Expos is the dumbest mascot name in pro sports.
    The following users like this post: HeroOfTheDay

to me, the worst name in the 4 major sports would be the Raptors. I could be wrong, but they are called the Raptors because of the popularity at the time for Jurassic Park.

Jazz and Lakers don't make sense as to where they are now but they originated where they made sense in Minnesota and New Orleans. I think with the early success of the Lakers in MPLS and the continued success of the Lakers in LA, it would be weird to have a name change as the "Lakers" name is well associated with many championships.

Jazz could have changed but with the years of Malone and Stockton together and Sloan as the coach, they became known as, imo, what the JAZZ were all about in Utah. All 3 are gone and I think the Jazz name needs to retire.

Lakers name will be forever.

Someone mentioned in the threas earlier the Magic being a dumb name. That's not correct at all. Magic and Disney go together. It makes sense.

I agree with Heat being a lame name for Miami. There's no "heat" in Miami when comparing it to Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, California, and Nevada.

Nets is boring but it makes sense, since it's basketball related.

Memphis should not be called the Grizzlies anymore. It made sense for the area it was in before in Vancouver. When the Kings move to Seattle and are called the SuperSonics again, the Grizzlies should be renamed to the Kings to honor Elvis.

Houston Oilers moved to Nashville and for two years were called the Tennessee Oilers. They were already in the hint for a new name and they came up with Titans which sucks. Oilers was better even if Tennessee is not known for Oilers.
    The following users like this post: HudBannon

I like it. I think it is cool that they are trying to be meaningful; to have a name which actually significant to the locals. There is an interesting article on ESPN.com that goes into detail about what Pelicans mean to people down there.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ns-are-serious

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Personally, I think the Montreal Expos is the dumbest mascot name in pro sports.
    At least Expos was a name that was culturally significant. When the franchise moved to DC, they could have christened the team the Washington Senators after the franchise that became the Texas Rangers, but they decided that bland and ambiguous was the way to go. Expos was definitely a weird name, but at least it was named after an event in Montreal.

Originally Posted by EdHarrisIsMyHero View Post
    to me, the worst name in the 4 major sports would be the Raptors. I could be wrong, but they are called the Raptors because of the popularity at the time for Jurassic Park.

Jazz and Lakers don't make sense as to where they are now but they originated where they made sense in Minnesota and New Orleans. I think with the early success of the Lakers in MPLS and the continued success of the Lakers in LA, it would be weird to have a name change as the "Lakers" name is well associated with many championships.

Jazz could have changed but with the years of Malone and Stockton together and Sloan as the coach, they became known as, imo, what the JAZZ were all about in Utah. All 3 are gone and I think the Jazz name needs to retire.

Lakers name will be forever.

Someone mentioned in the threas earlier the Magic being a dumb name. That's not correct at all. Magic and Disney go together. It makes sense.

I agree with Heat being a lame name for Miami. There's no "heat" in Miami when comparing it to Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, California, and Nevada.

Nets is boring but it makes sense, since it's basketball related.

Memphis should not be called the Grizzlies anymore. It made sense for the area it was in before in Vancouver. When the Kings move to Seattle and are called the SuperSonics again, the Grizzlies should be renamed to the Kings to honor Elvis.

Houston Oilers moved to Nashville and for two years were called the Tennessee Oilers. They were already in the hint for a new name and they came up with Titans which sucks. Oilers was better even if Tennessee is not known for Oilers.
    Kings weren't even originally the Kings. They were the Cincinnati Royals till they moved to Kansas City, had some conflict with the baseball team so they changed to the Kings.

The problem with Utah is they probably couldn't think of a nickname. The Mormans maybe?

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    Kings weren't even originally the Kings. They were the Cincinnati Royals till they moved to Kansas City, had some conflict with the baseball team so they changed to the Kings.

The problem with Utah is they probably couldn't think of a nickname. The Mormans maybe?
    The Whites?

Ironically the best one I could come up with would be Saints.

SoonerBounce Guest

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    Ironically the best one I could come up with would be Saints.
    :facepalm

Love the name, love the logo.

Good fit for NOLA and the league.

Name and logo are fine, colors are not. Should have stuck with the Hornets' colors or gone with a Mardi Gras theme.

New Orleans Katrinas

Oklahoma City Thunder is a dumb name. Sounds like an 8 year old girls soccer team name. If the team owners were so gung ho on having Thunder in the name, why didn't they choose Thunderbirds as a tribute to the rich military and Native American history associated with that name? No, instead they chose one of the worst names in the NBA.

Or ThunderCats, with Cheetara as the mascot.

Re: The New Orleans...Pelicans?

Pelicans sounds lame at first, but it's the state bird so there's that.

Thunderbirds? Really? That would have been a dumb name.

The Thunder is a cool team name and it fits the team. If not Thunder, I think the Aviators would have been cool.

Should have asked Marvel for the licensing rights to Thor as a mascot. Asgard was located in Oklahoma for a while in the comics. /nerd

SoonerBounce Guest

I still like the barons

Re: The New Orleans...Pelicans?

I like the Thunder but liked the Barons color scheme better.

I like the Thunderballs.

I kind of like the Pelicans. I think they could do some cool logos with it. The one up there ^ is pretty good, but maybe some different colors or what not.
    I think Utah should be the Outdoorsmen or something. Maybe the Mountain Men. And have a man on a mountain for their logo. That would be sweet. And he could be wearing invisible glasses and magic underwear.
    New Orleans Jazz though is really good. Too bad Utah won't change their name to the Mountain Men and let the Pelicans be the Jazz again. Maybe their logo could be a pelican playing a saxophone. Or maybe his giant pelican beak is a saxophone beak. That would be awesome.

And it's here you guys

@PelicansNBA

Thundertits?

When I first saw the new twitter account...

Last edited by usaosooner; April 18th, 2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: hotlink

Bahahaha

The Dark Side

They first approached the Jazz about buying that name from them. Jazz should be the name in New Orleans, but the Jazz wouldn't even talk to them. So Tom Benson came up with the Pelicans. Staff and board people told him they didn't like it. He said he would give them a week to come up with something better and if they did he would consider that. No one could come up with anything that they all deemed better. Pelicans it is.

The following users like this post: OUMallen