What is going on with recruiting?

Posted 744 day(s) ago 1190 Views 15 Replies

Is it coaches? is it schemes?
    Someone pointed out before that our two biggest recruiting weekends of the year, kstate and nd, we had tons of top guys visit and several of them committed elsewhere almost immediately after visiting these games. Losing can't hurt that bad I wouldn't think, if anything I would think these guys would realize they could come in and contribute immediately.
    Last year's class was nothing to write home about and because of recruiting misses, coaches seem to be going after more project players.
    We are now on to plan c and d and further on oline and dline, our most glaring position needs. I remember coaches saying last year that they had 8 or however many dt's on the roster and on signing day tried to convince everyone it wasn't as necessity in last years class. In hindsight, I wonder if they just couldn't get anyone like they haven't been able to so far this year.
    It has been said time and time again, but you need to win in the trenches to win big games and we don't have the guys to do that, and for the past few years we haven't been able to bring those guys in. I know stoops wants to keep his buddies around, and I think he is too stubborn and ****y to do anything about it.

Originally Posted by max fischer View Post
    Is it coaches? is it schemes?
    Someone pointed out before that our two biggest recruiting weekends of the year, kstate and nd, we had tons of top guys visit and several of them committed elsewhere almost immediately after visiting these games. Losing can't hurt that bad I wouldn't think, if anything I would think these guys would realize they could come in and contribute immediately.
    Last year's class was nothing to write home about and because of recruiting misses, coaches seem to be going after more project players.
    We are now on to plan c and d and further on oline and dline, our most glaring position needs. I remember coaches saying last year that they had 8 or however many dt's on the roster and on signing day tried to convince everyone it wasn't as necessity in last years class. In hindsight, I wonder if they just couldn't get anyone like they haven't been able to so far this year.
    It has been said time and time again, but you need to win in the trenches to win big games and we don't have the guys to do that, and for the past few years we haven't been able to bring those guys in. I know stoops wants to keep his buddies around, and I think he is too stubborn and ****y to do anything about it.

I would have thought we would have had a couple of visitors for the Bedlam commit on the spot after the game with all the excitement and emotion. Nothing. Crickets.

I just dont get it.

It's pretty obvious. No one wants to come play for these coaches.
    2 users like Wailer's post: byrk75, soonerUthenMe

QB recruiting - going well
    RB recruiting - killing it
    WR recruiting - I love it
    DB recruiting - excited about
    LB recruiting - could be better, but still good

OT recruiting - FAIL
    TE recruiting - FAIL
    DT recruiting - EPIC FAIL

I agree. The answer is obvious.

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post

OT recruiting - FAIL
    TE recruiting - FAIL

I should have specified, this is more what I was referring to. And just saw this tweet this morning, someone needs to show bob

@Jordan_Esco: #Sooners miss out on yet another 2013 OT offer as Trenton Brown has reportedly made his expected commitment to Florida.

@Jordan_Esco: To that last point, the #Sooners have missed on 15 of their 20 offers to 2013 OTs & only have one commit who might not even play OT.

Don't know who Jordan esco is but that is disappointing.

OT recruiting - FAIL
    TE recruiting - FAIL

Could be that these guys dont want to play for their respective position coaches.
    Ship, Patton and Kittle, makes you wonder.

Well if i'm going head to head against Kittle for an OT/TE recruit I would certainly bring up his lack of resume to a prospective recruit. I think an opposing team's recruiter could make a respectable argument against Kittle fairly easily. I have no idea what in the hell is happening with DT. Something is certainly spoiling the kool aid there.

Originally Posted by CNCSOONER View Post
    Could be that these guys dont want to play for their respective position coaches.
    Ship, Patton and Kittle, makes you wonder.
    Yes. There is clearly a problem here that needs to be addressed. Will bob address it or allow it to continue? I don't know. What I do know is this will prevent us from being a real contender. It certainly appears we're trending in the wrong direction. If bob thinks we're OK, then we're in real trouble.

OT recruiting - FAIL
    TE recruiting - FAIL

Shipp and Kittle need to GTFO. TE recruiting is hard to blame on Kittle since he landed McNamara (who got hurt) but Green is only a blocker and we need thay pass catcher element. If we land Bibbs TE should be okay with a healthy McNamara,Bibbs and Green
    The following users like this post: OU812

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Shipp and Kittle need to GTFO. TE recruiting is hard to blame on Kittle since he landed McNamara (who got hurt) but Green is only a blocker and we need thay pass catcher element. If we land Bibbs TE should be okay with a healthy McNamara,Bibbs and Green
    I would be fine with losing Shipp, Kittle and Patton.
    Shipp was once thought of as a great recruiter but now can't even get anyone for some reason. You hear all these DL recruits talk about their great relationship with Shipp but none of them sign here. Don't know what to make of it.

The rest of the staff is fine.

LB recruiting is fine for this class It'll take Kish time to get to be known in Texas but he has made some good in roads in Houston already

Yes. There is clearly a problem here that needs to be addressed. Will bob address it or allow it to continue? I don't know. What I do know is this will prevent us from being a real contender. It certainly appears we're trending in the wrong direction. If bob thinks we're OK, then we're in real trouble.
    I think it is fair to say stoops made a major mistake hiring kittle, easily bob's worst coaching decision and biggest wtf hire for sure. I feel like kittle was hired because bob thought kittle's diverse background and personality would cancel out his lack of coaching experience to kids, but that hasn't been the case at all. Everybody always says it takes 2 years for coaches to start getting their guys and tackle recruiting has gotten worse since kittle has been here. I have never been a big fan of patton, but the dude has stockpiled OU with guards and darlington looks to be a future monster at center. The guy is doing his job. Kittle is killing our tackle and te recruiting.
    And everyone always credits kittle with mcnamara signing, but in my opinion i think mike had more to do with mcnamara coming than kittle. I remember mcnamara talking about how he felt comfortable coming to OU because he had committed to arizona before and had a good relationship with mike.

The problem is as we have always known is Bob is too faithful to a point, which in turn is killing our recruiting.

I would be willing to give kittle more time as a TE coach. He has no business coaching OT. How can you trust such a premium position to someone with NO experience? That is ****ing stupid. The whole idea of one coach for OG/C and one coach for OT is stupid. Hire a real ****ing OL coach who can handle the OL. The kittle hire is a complete failure. To make matters worse, Shipp can't do his job and its killing us.

The biggest weakness on this team, by far, is OL/DL. It looks like that will continue for the foreseeable future. When the foundation of your team is a huge weakness, don't expect to contend for championships.
    The following users like this post: soonerUthenMe