Play Station Vita.... Is it any good?

Posted 694 day(s) ago 398 Views 6 Replies

My sons had mentioned these as a possible gift idea. Does anyone here have one? How does it compare to the WiiU? Thank You.

Different animals, IMO. WiiU is a home console with a giant multitouch controller that can play games.

Vita is simply a mobile gaming/media device.

Vita compares more accurately to a DS.

My 7 year old daughter got little use out of her Vita...we recently sold it and got her he new iPod touch.

She loves it.

I own one. It had a good launch and has been a disappointment otherwise.

There were games that came out initially that were console quality such as Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Uncharted. The appeal of the Vita was 1) console quality games, 2) remote play. Several games have come out that have been major disappointments such as Mortal Kombat, Resistance, Madden, and Call of Duty. Mortal Kombat has good game play, but is not graphically on par with Uncharted or MvC3. Resistance, Madden, & CoD disappoint all the way around. Plus there are omissions that many people expected to see, such as Tiger Woods Golf, NCAA 13, and NBA2K13. Sony also hinted that PS3 games would be playable remotely via the Vita. Hackers have proven that any PS3 can be played remotely. However, Sony released a firmware that destroyed that capability and instead has released a remote play on only a handful of mostly subpar games and in some instances, you are required to buy both versions.

It is definitely a next gen console. It has a shit ton of potential. But it's floundering and it's because Sony is shooting themselves in the foot and because 3rd party developers are releasing sub par games for the system.

Originally Posted by S00nerJay View Post
    I own one. It had a good launch and has been a disappointment otherwise.

There were games that came out initially that were console quality such as Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Uncharted. The appeal of the Vita was 1) console quality games, 2) remote play. Several games have come out that have been major disappointments such as Mortal Kombat, Resistance, Madden, and Call of Duty. Mortal Kombat has good game play, but is not graphically on par with Uncharted or MvC3. Resistance, Madden, & CoD disappoint all the way around. Plus there are omissions that many people expected to see, such as Tiger Woods Golf, NCAA 13, and NBA2K13. Sony also hinted that PS3 games would be playable remotely via the Vita. Hackers have proven that any PS3 can be played remotely. However, Sony released a firmware that destroyed that capability and instead has released a remote play on only a handful of mostly subpar games and in some instances, you are required to buy both versions.

It is definitely a next gen console. It has a shit ton of potential. But it's floundering and it's because Sony is shooting themselves in the foot and because 3rd party developers are releasing sub par games for the system.
    The proprietary memory card shit (classic Sony) really sucks too.

If it were for me, I could probably justify one, but a kid like mine got very little playability out of it. The cheap aspect of ap gaming is what steered us toward the iPod.

(And it gets her off of my iPad)

Re: Play Station Vita.... Is it any good?

I have one. The games just don't justify buying one at the moment. I would wait another 6 to 12 months when better games are released.