Nov jobs report/unemployment rate

Posted 694 day(s) ago 710 Views 29 Replies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...6pLid%3D242420

Amazing that we only add 146k but the unemployment rate drops two tenths...

Jobs report for prior two months were revised downward.

The last 3 months we have added an average of 139k
    The same period last year we added an average of 157k

The last 6 months we have added an average of 139k per month
    The same period last year we added an average of 123k

Both October and November numbers can be updated in the future.

CNN said it could be a large number of unemployment benefits are ending and the workforce is shrinking due to early retirement...thoughts?

Originally Posted by andymancan20 View Post
    CNN said it could be a large number of unemployment benefits are ending and the workforce is shrinking due to early retirement...thoughts?
    It's probably safe to assume many people are retiring earlier than they wanted, considering that those who are in their early 60s are the first chunk of Baby Boomers, it would make sense that the numbers are large. Participation rate dropped by .2% I believe, which is not encouraging at all.

I am fine with the numbers. As Spank/MAllen (can't remember which) says "if you don't want to work, why should you count"?

No one is forcing people to retire. It makes sense that half a million people left the workforce since people are getting into their 60s.

I pay a lot into my 401k, I expect others to do the same, and if you choose to retire early, don't look to me to help bridge the gap between retirement and social security.

The problem with the lower participation number is it will lead to lower revenue....

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    The problem with the lower participation number is it will lead to lower revenue....
    Isn't this problem solved by expanding social security taxable income, or telling the Boomers in congress to stop paying themselves more money in retirement?

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Isn't this problem solved by expanding social security taxable income, or telling the Boomers in congress to stop paying themselves more money in retirement?
    no doubt that would solve some of the problem...higher taxation would probably force some back into the workforce to make up for the take home shortfall....and then since the "retiree" made more money you could pull in even more revenue due to the higher tax rate...

Tax tax tax...we want to tax tax tax....tax tax tax is the answer...tax tax tax till the taxpayer bleeds from every orifice...

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post

I pay a lot into my 401k, I expect others to do the same, and if you choose to retire early, don't look to me to help bridge the gap between retirement and social security.
    You'd be much better off buying PM's. I pay into my 401k just enough to get the max match dollars from my company. At one time i was paying in 25%, but since June of 2011 i dropped it to 7% and my company matches 3%. I have been taking that money, and becoming very good friends with these people. http://jcsgold.com/ Very honest company. Just my 2 cents.

Drop 540,000 that "supposedly" gave up looking and there you have your number...most dishonorable people we have ever had in power...

Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    You'd be much better off buying PM's. I pay into my 401k just enough to get the max match dollars from my company. At one time i was paying in 25%, but since June of 2011 i dropped it to 7% and my company matches 3%. I have been taking that money, and becoming very good friends with these people. http://jcsgold.com/ Very honest company. Just my 2 cents.
    You are putting two thirds of your savings into gold or precious metals? You are taking far too much risk with this type diversification...

You are putting two thirds of your savings into gold or precious metals? You are taking far too much risk with this type diversification...
    Agreed, although it's not much diversification.

I'd say maybe 25% gold, 40% silver, 25% Roth IRA/401K/stocks, 10% Fiat. Gold and silver will give me the best return over the next 10 yrs.
    The following users like this post: SoonerPT

73% OF NEW JOBS CREATED IN LAST 5 MONTHS ARE IN GOVERNMENT
    DECEMBER 7, 2012

With the official bogus unemployment number now at 7.7%, CNSNews has discovered that a full 73% of the new jobs created over the past 5 months are government jobs. This means that rather than benefiting the economy, nearly all the jobs supposedly created over the 2nd half of 2012 are in fact draining the REAL productive economy further.
    QE to Infinity…AND BEYOND!!!

(CNSNews.com) – Seventy-three percent of the new civilian jobs created in the United States over the last five months are in government, according to official data published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

In June, a total of 142,415,000 people were employed in the U.S, according to the BLS, including 19,938,000 who were employed by federal, state and local governments.

By November, according to data BLS released today, the total number of people employed had climbed to 143,262,000, an overall increase of 847,000 in the six months since June.

In the same five-month period since June, the number of people employed by government increased by 621,000 to 20,559,000. These 621,000 new government jobs created in the last five months equal 73.3 percent of the 847,000 new jobs created overall.

Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    I'd say maybe 25% gold, 40% silver, 25% Roth IRA/401K/stocks, 10% Fiat. Gold and silver will give me the best return over the next 10 yrs.
    Fiat?

I wouldn't touch your portfolio with a ten foot pole...you are taking on extreme risk and could get decimated if your projections are wrong,,,good luck to ya...

Fiat?

I wouldn't touch your portfolio with a ten foot pole...you are taking on extreme risk and could get decimated if your projections are wrong,,,good luck to ya...
    That's the biggest issue but, of course, far too many investors never consider the possibility of downside (or never consider that possibility actually becoming reality). The focus is always on the upside. That is why so many get burned.

Fiat?

You can say that about most investments. There's a risk in all of them. I know plenty of people that have taken baths when WS took a dump.

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    You can say that about most investments. There's a risk in all of them. I know plenty of people that have taken baths when WS took a dump.
    If you diversify over sectors you minimize risk...having 2/3 of your money in one volatile sector is extreme risk...especially when that sector is exhibiting bubble tendencies ...

Do these three things and you will get the majority of the upside with significantly less risk...

Diversify
    Dollar cost average
    Rebalance quarterly

I'm not saying to put all your eggs in one basket. That's not prudent. I'm just saying anything can tank.

I'm not saying to put all your eggs in one basket. That's not prudent. I'm just saying anything can tank.
    Agree, but at really scary times such as the 2008/2009 credit crisis, certain asset classes were doing well. As Phil says above, diversify, diversify, and, yes, diversify.

Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    Agree, but at really scary times such as the 2008/2009 credit crisis, certain asset classes were doing well. As Phil says above, diversify, diversify, and, yes, diversify.
    You always worry about that sort of shit as it can bleed into a lot of things. My dad, before he passes, as he said, saw Obama coming and put his stuff in pretty safe places so when my mom got it she would be okay. Hopefully he saw everything that was coming.

You always worry about that sort of shit as it can bleed into a lot of things. My dad, before he passes, as he said, saw Obama coming and put his stuff in pretty safe places so when my mom got it she would be okay. Hopefully he saw everything that was coming.
    If by "safe places" you mean cash, CDs and the like, then that's been a big-time mistake in hindsight. Not entirely clear that's what you're saying, though.

Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    If by "safe places" you mean cash, CDs and the like, then that's been a big-time mistake in hindsight. Not entirely clear that's what you're saying, though.
    Not sure exactly. I've never really discussed where it all is with her(I don't want her to think I'm too interested in it). I know it's not in cash. Dad was never that way. She says it's all hanging in there.

Fiat?

Not the car company, man. Fiat. Cash. FRN. Ok, would you rather have a dollar bill, or a Silver dollar coin? Both have the same denomination. I'd rather exchange my 30.00 fiat for one Morgan, or one Peace dollar.

Wrong Fiat...too focused on auto sales...

For my cash account I would rather have the dollar since it only costs a dollar, has little or no short term risk, and can be used immediately, ...but I use my cash as my emergency fund which appears to be far different from your usage...

Nearly any financial planner will recommend 10-20% in precious metals...you have far exceeded that recommended level and you may make damn good money or you may get your ass handed to you...you have taken on a lot of risk in a sector that is at extremely high levels...

One year ago gold was at 1710 per oz...today it is at 1704 per oz

One year ago the S&P was at 1255...today it is at 1418

One year ago the Nasdaq was at 2647...today it is at 2978

Over the last year my far less volatile portfolio has outperformed your very risky allocation by a significant amount...
    The following users like this post: jdmt37

Wrong Fiat...too focused on auto sales...

For my cash account I would rather have the dollar since it only costs a dollar, has little or no short term risk, and can be used immediately, ...but I use my cash as my emergency fund which appears to be far different from your usage...

Nearly any financial planner will recommend 10-20% in precious metals...you have far exceeded that recommended level and you may make damn good money or you may get your ass handed to you...you have taken on a lot of risk in a sector that is at extremely high levels...

One year ago gold was at 1710 per oz...today it is at 1704 per oz

One year ago the S&P was at 1255...today it is at 1418

One year ago the Nasdaq was at 2647...today it is at 2978

Over the last year my far less volatile portfolio has outperformed your very risky allocation by a significant amount...
    If a person bought a house twenty years ago then they need to look at how their asset performed over the course of that period as opposed to just in the past year. Secondly, when gold is purchased it doesn't necessarily have to be purchased in dollar terms. If you purchased it in the proper currency it has gone up rather well during the time you referenced.

Originally Posted by sheepdogs View Post
    If a person bought a house twenty years ago then they need to look at how their asset performed over the course of that period as opposed to just in the past year. Secondly, when gold is purchased it doesn't necessarily have to be purchased in dollar terms. If you purchased it in the proper currency it has gone up rather well during the time you referenced.
    I understand...I have no idea how long he has been in precious metals or if he purchases on a monthly basis...my point is only that putting a majority of your money in one risky asset class you take on significantly more risk and still not meet returns from a properly allocated portfolio...

Of course he may make a killing but then again he could lose 50% over a short period of time and if someone tries to time the market to avoid a downturn they add even more risk of lower returns...

The following users like this post: jdmt37

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...6pLid%3D242420

Amazing that we only add 146k but the unemployment rate drops two tenths...

Jobs report for prior two months were revised downward.

The last 3 months we have added an average of 139k
    The same period last year we added an average of 157k

The last 6 months we have added an average of 139k per month
    The same period last year we added an average of 123k

Both October and November numbers can be updated in the future.

Just consider how many jobs we were losing when bush left office.. Now we are adding every month.. That is a good thing and it will get even better.

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Just consider how many jobs we were losing when bush left office.. Now we are adding every month.. That is a good thing and it will get even better.

Yo...

. . .

Nevermind