Any of you regret OU playing ND???

Posted 495 day(s) ago 2554 Views 62 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2
    vCash

I know, I know, the sports animal sucks. But I still listen because I like sports. They have been talking for two days about what if Oklahoma didn't schedule ND (all of this due to Gundy and Holder fighting over schedules).

How many of you would have rather seen OU play a weaker team, middle tier, that they would almost be guaranteed to win as opposed to a big name OOC opponent just to make OU's chances of getting into the NC easier?

For me, I'd rather play the best teams and lose 2 than schedule the way Trabe, Al, Gundy, etc. are talking about. I realize that the college landscape has gone that way and teams are almost forced to schedule that way but I hate it.

And let me say this so as to not be taken out of context. The reason I use ND as an example of OOC team is not to rub salt in an open wound but I 'm not sure the last time OU lost an OOC game that may have cost them a chance to go to a BCS/NC game, which is the point of the debate about scheduling.
    Last edited by OKIRISHFAN; December 7th, 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    I know, I know, the sports animal sucks. But I still listen because I like sports. They have been talking for two days about what if Oklahoma didn't schedule ND (all of this due to Gundy and Holder fighting over schedules).

How many of you would have rather seen OU play a weaker team, middle tier, that they would almost be guaranteed to win as opposed to a big name OOC opponent just to make OU's chances of getting into the NC easier?

For me, I'd rather play the best teams and lose 2 than schedule the way Trabe, Al, Gundy, etc. are talking about. I realize that the college landscape has gone that way and teams are almost forced to schedule that way but I hate it.
    The big name games make the fans happy. I want big name games if I'm spending my money. The playoffs will change a lot about future scheduling IMO though.

vCash

The game sucked but I'm proud we gave St. Mary’s coeds a ****-free weekend.

Next 10 years we have marquee non con games. If we win 6-7 of them I'd say its a success. That means 3-4 years those games will knock us down a notch come bowl season. But the years we win those games we won't really be rewarded for it.

Weigh those facts against the great atmosphere/big game aspect and you got a good debate

vCash

No.

Bring on The SW Phoenix Tech University Gulls .......then we make it to the fiesta, orange, or sugar.........loved playing ND (was there) however doesn't allow us to get any BCS recognition......•~<[]8-D

I regret that ND won.

vCash

No, I like watching OU play big time programs. If your going to be big time you got'a play big time!
    The following users like this post: OKIRISHFAN

vCash

Why are you listening to the Sports Animal?

vCash

I regret the official didn't throw a pass interference flag on the alleged interception......that's what i regret but you don't always get those calls, especially on the road, oh wait we were the home team.......yeah well next year?
    4 users like catfishcurtis's post: BajaOklahoma, IndySooner, jvrat, OU812

vCash

When the game was scheduled ND WAS a 2nd tier team. In fact, I'm not so sure that anything has changed, honestly. Without help from the officials ND loses at least 2 (Pitt/Stanford) and possibly a third.

vCash

Never regret who you play. Don't even regret how you played. Learn from it and get better. (And don't make the same mistakes again!)

Yeah, I don't regret playing them. But I do regret our shit luck in catching them in their first really good season in eons.

No excuses ... still should've given them a beatdown.

vCash

I regret that we have three coaches along the o-line and d-line and both lines suck.

No. I wish we could've played every yr from 2000-2011 cuz we would've won every time. We get them in bobs first yr and then this yr when everything came together for them.

vCash

No.. I dont regret OU playing anyone! If you are going to be the best you play the best.
    2 users like SoonerSteve1's post: NationalChampsAgain, OKIRISHFAN

No regret. Was an exciting game with great build-up. Anyway, had OU played a tomato can we'd still not be in the title game.

vCash

Nope no way flew out and got to see it first hand. The refs can suck a dong in hell though. They whoop us though otherwise.

vCash

Let the chips fall where they may.

I regret that we lost.

no. Wish we played ND every year

vCash

No, never crossed my mind. That's ****ing retarded thinking but I guess you have to fill four hours somehow. I hate the local Memphis guys but I do not miss those jackasses. Traber loves him some trabe and will remind you how he dominated Mexico at 280 (BA or LBS? not sure) Al is just awful to listen to. Seriously how do you spend 90 out of your 110 years outside of NY/NJ and keep the accent? anyway....

Would I change the schedule? Never. I look forward to going up there and stealing one in SB, IN next year.

I regret we have **** fans like you

vCash

Al is an idiot. Jim is an idiot. Mark is an idiot. BBJ is a big-time idiot. See a pattern?

I would rather we have a system that rewards top programs for playing each other out of conference and creates these types of marquee games instead of the semi-isolated, media biased, feedback loop that exists today.

That being said.. If winning MNC is the goal, there is absolutely little to no advantage for a team like OU to play an out of conference power.

vCash

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    I would rather we have a system that rewards top programs for playing each other out of conference and creates these types of marquee games instead of the semi-isolated, media biased, feedback loop that exists today.

That being said.. If winning MNC is the goal, there is absolutely little to no advantage for a team like OU to play an out of conference power.
    This is the sad reality.

Nope. If we're not good enough to win home games against decent teams, why would we want to go play for the title? If you're good enough to play for the title, it shouldn't matter who you play...much less at home.

I regret the shitty Offensive gameplan. Thought we were conservative and allowed ND to dictate the style of game. Stoops seems to do this in big games except Texas.
    The following users like this post: byrk75

vCash

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Why are you listening to the Sports Animal?
    Sometimes I ask myself that same question. It's almost like I hate it but am drawn to it at the same time. I actually like Mark Rodgers. He's about the only one, however.

vCash

Originally Posted by three5s View Post
    I regret we have **** fans like you
    That doesn't really even make sense. Who is the "we" you're referring to, exactly?

You're right, it doesn't make sense, Irish. I'm glad we played NDU. I hope the Domers win massively over Bama, and that OU sends Irish fans racing to the Grotto next fall.

Do you post on Domer Domain?

vCash

No regrets here, but it seen like the coaching staff over thought the game plan. I'm not convinced that ND ia a better team than OU, but OU got outcoached. If OU had approached that game with a kick-Texas-ass attitude, I think they would have won, but they seem to give ND to much respect just because they were ND.

vCash

But the stadium sure looked nice.

I would hate to be a Florida fan. They have stated that they will not leave the state for a non-conference game. You don't get a quality non-conference game without a home and home series. When we are good enough to play in a national championship game, we will win the quality non-conference game and under current BCS rules, we will get in.

I would hate to have been Auburn the year that we played USC for the national championship. Their non-conference schedule left them no credible argument to get to the game. So our policy of one substantial non-conference opponent each year is what I prefer. I really hate it when one of them like Washington appears to be credible when scheduled but is pathetic when the game takes place.

I have been alive for all 7 of our national championships and all one of ND victories. Would like to see the second one in my lifetime. Cannot win it without playing them.
    The following users like this post: SpankyNek

**** no, when we scheduled them they prolly sucked **** so it was a way to get a big name easy win or so we thought. then they come out of nowhere with an actual football team and beat us at home. if we cannot beat them at home then we don't have any bidness going to the big game and getting our panties pulle down again.
    The following users like this post: byrk75

Do you regret having a football program since 1989 thru 2011?
    The following users like this post: boleybuster

vCash

No regrets. If you're not gonna run with the big dogs, then stay up on the porch.

vCash

Originally Posted by tennsooner View Post
    I regret that ND won.

Only this.

The following users like this post: Irish_Sooner

I regret that the refs made it out of town alive.

vCash

And let me say this so as to not be taken out of context. The reason I use ND as an example of OOC team is not to rub salt in an open wound but I 'm not sure the last time OU lost an OOC game that may have cost them a chance to go to a BCS/NC game, which is the point of the debate about scheduling.
    No, because I still believe if we play them ten times we win about 7 of them. I think we could beat them if we played again, because we got ****ed the whole game. There for a while they were calling a rematch between OU and ND in the Fiesta and I was damn happy. I wanted to knock their blocks off with real refs. They call them a team of destiny and luck is on their side. Bullshit, because their was no way in hell would lose with the backing of the media and refs this year.

No! I love bring major games to Norman. It's what makes college football and beats the hell out of driving 4 hours to Norman and getting hoe at 2am after playing North Texas or whatever.

Loss was a shame, but no regrets

From a fan perspective, would rather play a top tier team at home and lose than play popcorn state and win, only to assist in making it to a little better bowl game where there is no guarantee of a decent matchup ( see ou v. Uconn)

vCash

Don't regret it in the least.

vCash

OU would not have been playing in the mNC this year if we had played a cupcake and won! Bama or another SEC team was always going to be the 1 loss team that went. That's how it will always be, even in 2014... They'll get 2 in.

vCash

Yes OU best leave ND out of the picture if at all possible..They just one of those teams that has OU number

vCash

I regret losing to a team that Stanford could've beaten & Pitt should've beaten, and won games against Purdue and BYU by 3 points.

vCash

Originally Posted by Balko View Post
    You're right, it doesn't make sense, Irish. I'm glad we played NDU. I hope the Domers win massively over Bama, and that OU sends Irish fans racing to the Grotto next fall.

Do you post on Domer Domain?
    No. I've never even been there or heard of it. I used to post on the what is now the 24/7 website. Can't remember what it used to be called. Now I just do UHND.com

None.

This season came down to about 5 or six plays. Had those plays gone our way, we would be playing Bama.

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner Showtime View Post
    I regret losing to a team that Stanford could've beaten & Pitt should've beaten, and won games against Purdue and BYU by 3 points.
    Yeah, because all football matchups are completely transitive. Hence why Texas barely beat OSU, we blew out Texas, and beat OSU in overtime.

Make complete sense to me.