You Don't Know Bo

Posted 599 day(s) ago 2611 Views 46 Replies
    vCash

Football You Don't Know Bo

Excellent 30 for 30 tonight. If it's on again it's definately worth a watch.
    8 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: AcousticSoup, byrk75, GRIDIRON, guest, KJHolley, Lehmanfan, nstinson, Sooner2012

What might have been. I enjoyed the program, and either didn't know or had forgotten about the All-Star Game HR, and "The Throw." He was a freak of nature in terms of speed, strength, coordination - I couldn't help but think about the Mick, who may be the only other player in baseball history who was so physically gifted.

vCash

And Mantle got hurt his rookie year and wasn't the same as before. I only saw Bo play football once. We beat the Raiders in the playoffs in the snow and we held him in check. Luckily I was able to see him play quite a bit of baseball and words can't describe how good he was. Of everything I've seen him do that throw is still the most jawdropping. Usually when someone throws a long distance they get behind it and run up on it and go flying forward. He looked liked he just grabbed it and flicked it home - from the track. I also remember him hitting home runs in his first three at bats in a game at old Yankee Stadium. He then dove for a ball in the gap and hurt himself when he hit the ground. He had at least two more at bats in that game. I always wonder what might have happened. I cried the day we let him go. That was really the beginning of the end for the Royals.
    7 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: Clark W. Griswold, DHF, Lehmanfan, nstinson, Sieve, Sooner209, ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    And Mantle got hurt his rookie year and wasn't the same as before. I only saw Bo play football once. We beat the Raiders in the playoffs in the snow and we held him in check. Luckily I was able to see him play quite a bit of baseball and words can't describe how good he was. Of everything I've seen him do that throw is still the most jawdropping. Usually when someone throws a long distance they get behind it and run up on it and go flying forward. He looked liked he just grabbed it and flicked it home - from the track. I also remember him hitting home runs in his first three at bats in a game at old Yankee Stadium. He then dove for a ball in the gap and hurt himself when he hit the ground. He had at least two more at bats in that game. I always wonder what might have happened. I cried the day we let him go. That was really the beginning of the end for the Royals.
    Great post, KC.

vCash

If Bo hadn't gotten injured, he'd be remembered as the Greatest Athlete of the 20th Century. I saw him hit a HR off of Nolan Ryan in Arlington that traveled 450 feet and hit the stands. I swear to God, the ball was not on it's way down when it hit. I truly believe it could have gone 600 feet.
    The following users like this post: Lake_Bum

vCash

"God has blessed me with speed,,,to run like a spooked deer"....Bo Jackson

vCash

Have it on the DVR. Will watch today.

Good show, but I've never understood the fascination with his collision with The Boz. I always thought that was over blown. The play they always show they talk about like he blew him up but it's one collisision where Bo pushes Boz back a couple yards and falls into the Endzone. Yeah he won but it wasn't Ali/Frazier. Shit! Stupid media making more of something than it really was.
    6 users like Orion's post: ab5sr, AcousticSoup, OU Sam, Sooner2012, tennsooner, thurman murman

vCash

You Don't Know Bo

Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Good show, but I've never understood the fascination with his collision with The Boz. I always thought that was over blown. The play they always show they talk about like he blew him up but it's one collisision where Bo pushes Boz back a couple yards and falls into the Endzone. Yeah he won but it wasn't Ali/Frazier. Shit! Stupid media making more of something than it really was.
    I'd always heard about that but never saw the actual play. I wasn't impressed. Boz made the tackle, but Bo's momentum carries him into the end zone.

Regardless, it was a great 30 for 30. Love the Tecmo Bowl reference.

Yeah it's not like BO went Trey Millard/Brennan Clay(OSU OT) on the Boz. The media though probably blew it up more because of the Boz's shit talking leading up to the game. If Boz wasn't a Sooner I'd hate the guy.
    The following users like this post: AcousticSoup

vCash

The problem was Boz talked an amazing amount of smack leading into that game and Bo had such a spectacular game while The Boz did nothing. Plus it was on Monday Night Football back when everyone watched it. America was getting sick of The Boz and then this happened. They collided between the two and one yard line and Bo carried him into the end zone. It shattered Bosworth's image in front of all of America.
    The following users like this post: KJHolley

vCash

Trivia question: Who did Bo Jackson beat out for the Heisman Trophy in 1985?

vCash

^^ Chuck Long ^^

Closest in history, I believe..

vCash

Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
    ^^ Chuck Long ^^

Closest in history, I believe..
    Yup. Closest in history. Well done.

vCash

Was The Boz loaded on steroids? He sure looks a lot different physically than when he was a player.

You Don't Know Bo

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Was The Boz loaded on steroids? He sure looks a lot different physically than when he was a player.
    He quit playing football and got older

I laughed when George Brett said that he would never go to the bathroom when Bo was going to bat. I was in the bathroom at the Royals stadium when Bo hit a home run into the fountains.

The only Oakland As game I have ever been to was at the Royals. I was 13 or 14, and Jose Canseco was my favorite player, Bo Jackson was a close second. Bo hit a homerun into the fountain. It is the only pro baseball game I ever went to with my dad.
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

vCash

Was either Bo or Herchel Walker an Olympic bobsledder?

vCash

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    I'd always heard about that but never saw the actual play. I wasn't impressed. Boz made the tackle, but Bo's momentum carries him into the end zone.

Regardless, it was a great 30 for 30. Love the Tecmo Bowl reference.
    I can hear my dad now. He always talked about how you have to keep your shoulders square to the line of scrimmage. Boz hits Bo just fine but then he lets Bo turn him and they go into the end zone instead of Boz keeping his legs under him, slidung his helmet to the side, and dumping Bo on his ass. Earl Cambell running over Isiah Robertyson was much more of a beatdown. IMO.

vCash

Boz was talking shit two weeks before the game & Bo was keeping his mouth shut.

I was witness to both ends of the spectrum, I was at the '89 All Star game where he hit the mammoth home run and won the game's MVP award and I was at the '91 playoff game between the Raiders and Bengals when he suffered that damn injury.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Was either Bo or Herchel Walker an Olympic bobsledder?
    Walker was on the Olympic bobsledding team, along with Mike Aljoe, an OU defensive end who played behind Kevin Murphy and Darrell Reed. I think that Aljoe was a 1986 grad and was on the 1988 Olympic team.

Originally Posted by ibleedcrimson View Post
    He quit playing football and got older
    That's it. He wasn't on steroids at all. Completely clean.

That play is a 3-4 yard gain if it happens at the 50. I guess it's like watching a car wreck and asking someone what happened 5 seconds after and 5 years after. 5 years after it's an amazing 30 car pile-up when in actuality a car ran into a light pole.

vCash

I enjoyed the show a lot. But really, as me and my friends were watching it, we all came away with saying the same thing about Bo...he seems like an arrogant prick...just the way he talks. I dunno. Maybe you guys have a different view.

Can't argue with his talents though...he is an amazing man.

vCash

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    I enjoyed the show a lot. But really, as me and my friends were watching it, we all came away with saying the same thing about Bo...he seems like an arrogant prick...just the way he talks. I dunno. Maybe you guys have a different view.

I can see that, but if you're that bad ass, I have no problem with you being arrogant. Some professionals can't handle one sport, he played football 'for a hobby'.

It's the first 30 for 30 I've watched (not avoiding them on purpose, just always seem to miss them and forget they're on Netflix) but after seeing the first 5 minutes, I was glued to the tv until it was over.

vCash

Finally got around to watching it last night. Quite possibly the most gifted athlete ever.

I had to research to see if I ever saw him play live. I never saw the Royals or White Sox come to Arlington when he was with them but I was in Chicago in the Summer of 1994 when he was with the Angels. I remember the World Cup was going on and Chili Davis hit two homeruns and the Angels won in extra innings. The game was easy to find...Bo just happened to have that night off. Never saw him live. /csb

vCash

It was the '80s...every athlete or want to be was loaded on steroids

vCash

Show will be repeated Wednesday on, I believe, ESPN2.

I never had that impression of him. When he was here he was very popular with his teammates as well as the fans. I just think that's the way he comes off. When you're the best there is in two sports it's hard to come off as humble at times. I thought he seemed pretty reserved in this show.
    Last edited by KCRuf/Nek; December 10th, 2012 at 12:58 PM.

vCash

You Don't Know Bo

I never had that impression of him. When he was here he was very popular with his teammates as well as the fans. I just think that's the way he comes off. When you're the best there is in two sports it's hard to come off as humble at times. I thought he seemed pretty reserved in this show.
    I know he referred to himself in the third person, and unless you're George Castanza, that's a total douchebag move, IMO.

I wish we had a MLB that could take on Bo like that right now

vCash

I know he referred to himself in the third person, and unless you're George Castanza, that's a total douchebag move, IMO.
    I don't believe he was doing it to be a douchebag. And you know George Castanza isn't real don't you?

vCash

I don't believe he was doing it to be a douchebag. And you know George Castanza isn't real don't you?
    I'm sure anyone who refers to themself isn't doing it to be a douchebag....but it comes across that way.

I'm sure anyone who refers to themself isn't doing it to be a douchebag....but it comes across that way.
    Kind of like people still sporting the Burt Reynolds' mustache style?

vCash

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Kind of like people still sporting the Burt Reynolds' mustache style?
    hahaha....no way is that a douche move.

you haven't accomplished shit in your life, but 2885 posts on LT and you are an arrogant prick.

vCash

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    you haven't accomplished shit in your life, but 2885 posts on LT and you are an arrogant prick.
    Let me tell you something...nolesooner is anyting but an arrogant prick.
    The following users like this post: oujeremy

Let me tell you something...nolesooner is anyting but an arrogant prick.
    ISWYDT.

vCash

I met Bo at a mwr get together in Kuwait. He is a prick. He was trying to sell supplements to every soldier that tried to talk to him.

vCash

Didn't he refer to himself in 3rd person in the "Bo knows" commercials? I haven't seen the show but was it in reference to that?

I certainly don't remember him being considered arrogant back when he played.

What is wild is that Walker, Jackson and and Dupree came one right after the other in '80-'82. There really hasn't been a back like them since. Jerome Bettes comes to mind as far as size but he wasn't near as fast. AD comes to mind as far as running style and speed but he isn't near as big.

vCash

Originally Posted by smitten View Post
    I met Bo at a mwr get together in Kuwait. He is a prick. He was trying to sell supplements to every soldier that tried to talk to him.
    He just wanted the soldiers to be as awesome as him.

Could you imagine an army full of Bos?

vCash

vCash

vCash

echo....echo....