"I can trust ATM"

Posted 619 day(s) ago 3144 Views 41 Replies

"I can trust ATM"

Hiring Sumlin may have been the smartest thing ATM has ever done. http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/tamu/post?id=4455

More telling and damning(?) comments right here:

Ranked No. 88 in the ESPN 150, Manning chose Texas A&M over Oklahoma and TCU. Manning, recruited by wide receivers coach David Beaty, chose against following the footsteps of his older brother, DeMarcus Granger, a former Kimball star who played on Oklahoma’s defensive line from 2006-09.

“I can trust [A&M], and I feel like it’ll be a challenge,” Manning said. “I feel like I’m challenging myself to be better.

“Oklahoma has been my dream school since Day 1. The only doubts I had about them was when I arrived, would I feel too comfortable?”

and here

What added to Manning’s decision is how this year’s team is relatively young on both sides of the ball. Manziel is a redshirt freshman. One of the Aggies’ primary defensive players, defensive lineman Damontre Moore, is a junior.

“They have a lot of talent there, and I feel like I can get a national championship at least three years,” Manning said. “I’ve gone through my high school career trying to get to state, and when I think about it, it’s almost impossible to get to state if you don’t have talent at each position.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^ "trajectory"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Spade1000 View Post
    More telling and damning(?) comments right here:

Ranked No. 88 in the ESPN 150, Manning chose Texas A&M over Oklahoma and TCU. Manning, recruited by wide receivers coach David Beaty, chose against following the footsteps of his older brother, DeMarcus Granger, a former Kimball star who played on Oklahoma’s defensive line from 2006-09.

“I can trust [A&M], and I feel like it’ll be a challenge,” Manning said. “I feel like I’m challenging myself to be better.

“Oklahoma has been my dream school since Day 1. The only doubts I had about them was when I arrived, would I feel too comfortable?”

and here

What added to Manning’s decision is how this year’s team is relatively young on both sides of the ball. Manziel is a redshirt freshman. One of the Aggies’ primary defensive players, defensive lineman Damontre Moore, is a junior.

“They have a lot of talent there, and I feel like I can get a national championship at least three years,” Manning said. “I’ve gone through my high school career trying to get to state, and when I think about it, it’s almost impossible to get to state if you don’t have talent at each position.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^ "trajectory"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Those things are true, but I think this is about the coach (if you read between the lines), which I have no problem with.
    The following users like this post: byrk75

2/26/2010:

There is confidence. And then there is Texas freshman-to-be Taylor Bible's confidence.

The 6-foot-3, 300-pound defensive lineman, who won't graduate high school until June, told the Dallas Morning News this week that the Longhorns would win the next four BCS titles and all four Red River Rivalry games against Oklahoma.

Bible might have a chance of making that prediction come true, because he said Texas coaches have told him he'll play right away as a freshman.

The Longhorns are seemingly positioned for annual BCS title contention with the way Mack Brown has that program humming. But Bible has some awfully big goals -- and some work to do to back up that big talk.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...our-bcs-titles
    3 users like TheLadiesMike's post: Hermit, OU812, Sooner2012

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Those things are true, but I think this is about the coach (if you read between the lines), which I have no problem with.
    Disagree.

I think this is as much about percieved potential for success ('ships) , and a talent/coaching discrepancy on the Def side of the ball, and "proven" talent. We are going into serious rebuilding mode defensively next year, with no end in sight (going to take at a minimum of 2 seasons for the D personnel to get to what M.Stoops wants). If someone beleives that they can go anywhere and get play time, would you want to go where you aren't going to have to work for it and be surrounded by lesser talents , or , do you want to go where there are others who can pick up some slack. Sumlin is a BEAST and a good hire, but there is alot of other things that go into the equation.

Well... I guess we are all entitled to our opinion. Wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Drama Queen gets antsy and decommits just because he so obviously craves attention.

Originally Posted by TheLadiesMike View Post
    To put this in perspective, obviously Texas has gone 21-16 overall and been out scored by OU 146-58 in 3 straight losses since those comments.

To put it in even more perspective, Bible, who "Texas coaches have told will play right away as a true freshman," redshirted in 2010, and then didn't play in 2011 because he sucked, and then transferred.

Maybe we don't get some of these big time recruits because our coaches don't blow smoke up their asses, and tell them they will have to work their butt off to crack some playing time as a true freshman.
    3 users like Jbaker's post: copperhead, jmizzy4ou, palisooner

Oh, BTW, go to ESPN and look at the CFB homepage. It's A&M this, A&M that. They are selling themselves much, much better than OU is right now. There's an article titled, "Aggies Rising: New Power". It's pretty laughable, especially after one "average" season, but it's working.

They did a good job spinning things for the kid. They finish with the same record as OU, 3rd in their division, and have a number of key senior players; yet, they are poised to win championships and are a young team.

Originally Posted by meoveryouxinfinity View Post
    Oh, BTW, go to ESPN and look at the CFB homepage. It's A&M this, A&M that. They are selling themselves much, much better than OU is right now. There's an article titled, "Aggies Rising: New Power". It's pretty laughable, especially after one "average" season, but it's working.
    Dude they're QB just won the heisman. Of course they're getting hype. Standard operating procedure! Don't get butthurt
    3 users like ChpThril's post: cheetah, VRO405, Written

Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    Dude they're QB just won the heisman. Of course they're getting hype. Standard operating procedure! Don't get butthurt
    Part of winning the Heisman is the school's ability to promote the player. Not butthurt at all, the articles on ESPN are centering around A&M's "return to prominence" yet they aren't even in a BCS bowl...

Re: "I can trust ATM"

Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    *their
    The following users like this post: Pardner

Part of winning the Heisman is the school's ability to promote the player. Not butthurt at all, the articles on ESPN are centering around A&M's "return to prominence" yet they aren't even in a BCS bowl...
    Don't you have to have been in the vicinity of prominence to be able to return there?
    7 users like TheMind____Gap's post: Backintheday, BleeOU1, boomersooner53, MudcrkSooner, OU812, Sooner209, Turk

Can Shipp be fired tomorrow?
    The following users like this post: byrk75

When have they ever been prominent?

As far as recruiting, it's a sales job and a&m did it better. Of course, I'm sure they did everything above board. They're in the SEC now which means they're just better than us and they always play by the rules.

Manning went to aTm because he's butthurt the Sooners slow played him. Whatever. Good luck to you young man. I'm sure that win in the Meineke bowl that broke their 5 game bowl losing streak was the final key that won you over. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Justin Manning wouldn't have made it through the first off-season with Jerry Schmidt. He is too mentally weak.
    2 users like zcaa0g's post: chewyhux, tennsooner

Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Manning went to aTm because he's butthurt the Sooners slow played him. Whatever. Good luck to you young man. I'm sure that win in the Meineke bowl that broke their 5 game bowl losing streak was the final key that won you over. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.
    Manning went to A&M because he sees the writing on the wall: A&M is on the rise, Oklahoma is on the downfall. Believe it or not, these kids aren't blind nor dumb.
    The following users like this post: VRO405

Originally Posted by thankyoucomeagain View Post
    Manning went to A&M because he sees the writing on the wall: A&M is on the rise, Oklahoma is on the downfall. Believe it or not, these kids aren't blind nor dumb.
    Why is Oklahoma on the downfall?

Cause the downfall is going to the same bowl as the school he chose as well as having the same record. Only difference is that OU won a share of it's conference title. OU's downfall is falling to the Cotton Bowl. Which apparently is aTm's upswing. What was the writing? "I'm mad cause I got lazy and the OU coaches cooled on me and then I got bitter so I'm going to be an aggie as revenge"? Is that the writing?

Indeed "thank you...come again".
    2 users like Turk's post: BoonesFarmSooner, tennsooner

I'm excited for the inevitable, Ole-Miss-Under-Houston-Nutt-esque overreaction by the pollsters next year, where they put A&M in the top 5, then A&M goes about 8-4.
    2 users like Sooner2012's post: Backintheday, sovasooner

Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Cause the downfall is going to the same bowl as the school he chose as well as having the same record. Only difference is that OU won a share of it's conference title. OU's downfall is falling to the Cotton Bowl. Which apparently is aTm's upswing. What was the writing? "I'm mad cause I got lazy and the OU coaches cooled on me and then I got bitter so I'm going to be an aggie as revenge"? Is that the writing?

Indeed "thank you...come again".
    In yet, nobody nationwide gives a shit about Oklahoma football. I don't know about you but when I see sportcenter I see tons of A&M stuff, but nary a peep about Oklahoma. Hmm. It's much different going 10-2 in the SEC than it is in the big12. Texas and Oklahoma can basically sleep walk against the likes of Iowa State and Baylor every year. But you have to inspect closer at your program to see what i'm talking about. Drop in recruiting, poor recent coaching, not to mention a stale head coach whose time has passed like Mack Brown at Texas. Shitty state. I can go on.

An SEC team that is 10-2 will always be looked upon greater than a big 12 team that is 10-2. Texas A&M would have been undefeated in the big 12 this year. And don't try to bring up last year's team because this year's team is completely different. The big12 is a joke, and probably will not be around in 5 years.

At this point in time, do you honestly think a blue chip recruit is going to choose Oklahoma over A&M?

Originally Posted by Houston Sooner View Post
    Can Shipp be fired tomorrow?
    There may be a few reasons to fire him but losing out on this flake won't be one of them.
    2 users like tennsooner's post: Turk, Written

Originally Posted by Sooner2012 View Post
    I'm excited for the inevitable, Ole-Miss-Under-Houston-Nutt-esque overreaction by the pollsters next year, where they put A&M in the top 5, then A&M goes about 8-4.
    The problem is, 8-4 is pretty much literally the worst they can go next year with their schedule. Their OOC is 4 teams worse than any team on our OOC. Then Alabama, LSU, and a home game against Mississippi State is their third hardest game. The team they play from the East next season in place of Florida is Vanderbilt.

In yet, nobody nationwide gives a shit about Oklahoma football. I don't know about you but when I see sportcenter I see tons of A&M stuff, but nary a peep about Oklahoma. Hmm. It's much different going 10-2 in the SEC than it is in the big12. Texas and Oklahoma can basically sleep walk against the likes of Iowa State and Baylor every year. But you have to inspect closer at your program to see what i'm talking about. Drop in recruiting, poor recent coaching, not to mention a stale head coach whose time has passed like Mack Brown at Texas. Shitty state. I can go on.

An SEC team that is 10-2 will always be looked upon greater than a big 12 team that is 10-2. Texas A&M would have been undefeated in the big 12 this year. And don't try to bring up last year's team because this year's team is completely different. The big12 is a joke, and probably will not be around in 5 years.

At this point in time, do you honestly think a blue chip recruit is going to choose Oklahoma over A&M?
    Step away from the ledge.

In yet, nobody nationwide gives a shit about Oklahoma football.
    Never go full retard. Oklahoma has a lot more market value and power than Texas A&M.
    2 users like zcaa0g's post: OU812, Written

What's awesome is that win or lose....I'll be here. But a Sooner win means that slapnuts here will fade out and turn into a new troll/sock account.

Fvckin it live via tapatalk dos

Typical aggie. You guys just your 2nd Heisman trophy winner. How cute.

Then how did A&M manage to win 1 conference title in 18 years? You basically ended your tenure in the Big 12 South as the 5th best program in the division. Nice.
    4 users like xunil's post: BoonesFarmSooner, hawkdriver, OU812, TimPOBSooner

It's actually more of an indictment of how overrated the SEC really is. A&M never 'sleep walked' through the Big 12... in fact, they were relevant 1 time after '99. I guess you have short term memory.

"I can trust ATM"

Why do you guys fall for this guy?

If you've read my post earlier, you'd understand that i'm the first to say that A&M has not done anything since the late 1990's, but I also mentioned it was because poor management, poor coaching, until recently, poor facilities, and under utilization of all of its resources. It took over a decade, but they are finally getting their shit together, and that is bad news for Oklahoma.

I also mentioned that it is foolish to compare this A&M team to last year's team, or any A&M team in its big12 era. Completely different. New coaching, new QB, ton's of freshman and sophomore depth, MUCH BETTER CONDITIONING, new outlook, and new confidence it hasn't had since 1998. This year's team goes undefeated in the big12 this year, no doubt about it.

The top 5 teams in the SEC, could all make quick work of the Sooner this year, so I wouldn't call that overrated. Was there some crappy teams at the bottom? Definitely, but the top is stacked. You thought Notre Dame made the Sooners look silly? Could you imagine what Alabama, Florida, LSU, or even Georgia would do to you?

Denial at its finest.

What did everyone have for dinner? I had a nice Ham sammich. Little bit of lettuce. Some nice American cheese. I do love a good sammich.

Posts like this make me giggle at the sheer lack of knowledge of college football. First lets take a look at A&M's schedule and how they got to 10-2
    They open up the season with a loss to the Florida Gators who talk about nobody discussing a team. These guys made it through the SEC season with 1 loss just on the sheer lack of offense the rest of the league has. The Gators have not been on the radar since Jesus Jr. was drafted by the Broncos.
    A&M's next 3 opponents finished the season 15-20 with SMU, South Carolina STATE and Arkansas. Then they squeaked by an Ole Miss team that that sorry team from Austin handled by 32 in Oxford. Then the Aggies faced the best offense they have faced in 2012 giving up 600 yards and 57 points in a 59-57 win vs Louisiana Tech.
    After that Texas A&M lost at home to an LSU team who's offense has no heart beat then they played Auburn, no description is necessary here. A win over Mississippi who's 8 wins consist of 4 SEC teams who has a combined 12 wins on the season and 2 teams from the FCS persuasion. Then came the game that gave Johnny Football his Heisman and the upset win at Alabama. A little off topic in Nick Saban's 16 years as a College Head Coach (Mich St, LSU and Alabama) his teams have faced 9 teams who finished the season with a Top 10 Scoring and Total offense categories. His record = 1-8.
    Back to A&M with their admission into the SEC they now get to adhere to the age old tradition of scheduling OOC games the second week of November so they called up their good Friends from Sam Houston State (FCS school) and asked them to drive on up for a sleeper. Then they closes the season off with another former Big 12 middle range team in Missouri.
    BTW, one other piece of info for you. The Sooners / Notre Dame game was the highest rated TV game of the 2012 regular season. On December 1st the most watched college game was the SEC championship. The second highest rated was OU / TCU game. The Sooners were tied with Notre Dame for top TV ratings on the weekly average for the entire 2012 season. Maybe some folks should stop basing their lives on the decisions and statements of 18 year old kids.
    4 users like sportsproducer's post: BoonesFarmSooner, oSuJeff97, Pardner, Tundra

Originally Posted by sportsproducer View Post
    Posts like this make me giggle at the sheer lack of knowledge of college football. First lets take a look at A&M's schedule and how they got to 10-2
    They open up the season with a loss to the Florida Gators who talk about nobody discussing a team. These guys made it through the SEC season with 1 loss just on the sheer lack of offense the rest of the league has. The Gators have not been on the radar since Jesus Jr. was drafted by the Broncos.
    A&M's next 3 opponents finished the season 15-20 with SMU, South Carolina STATE and Arkansas. Then they squeaked by an Ole Miss team that that sorry team from Austin handled by 32 in Oxford. Then the Aggies faced the best offense they have faced in 2012 giving up 600 yards and 57 points in a 59-57 win vs Louisiana Tech.
    After that Texas A&M lost at home to an LSU team who's offense has no heart beat then they played Auburn, no description is necessary here. A win over Mississippi who's 8 wins consist of 4 SEC teams who has a combined 12 wins on the season and 2 teams from the FCS persuasion. Then came the game that gave Johnny Football his Heisman and the upset win at Alabama. A little off topic in Nick Saban's 16 years as a College Head Coach (Mich St, LSU and Alabama) his teams have faced 9 teams who finished the season with a Top 10 Scoring and Total offense categories. His record = 1-8.
    Back to A&M with their admission into the SEC they now get to adhere to the age old tradition of scheduling OOC games the second week of November so they called up their good Friends from Sam Houston State (FCS school) and asked them to drive on up for a sleeper. Then they closes the season off with another former Big 12 middle range team in Missouri.
    BTW, one other piece of info for you. The Sooners / Notre Dame game was the highest rated TV game of the 2012 regular season. On December 1st the most watched college game was the SEC championship. The second highest rated was OU / TCU game. The Sooners were tied with Notre Dame for top TV ratings on the weekly average for the entire 2012 season. Maybe some folks should stop basing their lives on the decisions and statements of 18 year old kids.
    Thank you......come again

yes, this aggie is way too eager to come here claiming A&M dominance over OU.

I also giggle at his concern about how many times ESPN mentions A&M. He thinks that means something. He's an overly excited newby.

A&M has never been really good for more than one or two years at time, and it usually coincides with hard times in Austin. They've only finished the season top 10 AP poll, a handful of times. When you actually research their final AP ratings, there's nothing there, just a lot of bluster from arrogant Texans with nothing to support their arrogance.
    Its the most over hyped football program in CFB. The prime example of big hat and no cattle.

The game will show you come January 4th. Be afraid my friends.

Uh yaaa, those statistics are definitely wrong. SEC championship game, Ala-LSU, Ala-Texas A&M, USC-ND all had much higher viewership for their game than yalls against ND. Sorry. Also, you just made up that part on the weekly average. Viewership doesn't mean only the entire state of Oklahoma.
    Learn the facts first before you post them.

You can take the aggie out of the trailer park, but...

The game will show you come January 4th. Be afraid my friends.
    I'll be there. And, I was there last year when we played one of our worst games of the year, and still beat the Mighty Aggies. Oh yeah, and new year, new coach, etc. Sorry, I forgot how programs are built in one year. Now go back, iron your white jeans and white shirt, tuck your maroon hanky in your back pocket, and get in line with your yell pals. I think your little dog needs to go out.

Actually the Georgia Bulldogs would have been a more suitable opponent for the Sooners in the Cotton Bowl. At least they played only 1 team in their OOC from the FCS division. Although both teams faced only 5 teams from the FBS division with above .500 record.

The Sooners faced 8 teams above .500 and 5 teams in the top 15 of total and scoring offense going 4-1

Uh yaaa, those statistics are definitely wrong. SEC championship game, Ala-LSU, Ala-Texas A&M, USC-ND all had much higher viewership for their game than yalls against ND. Sorry. Also, you just made up that part on the weekly average. Viewership doesn't mean only the entire state of Oklahoma.
    Learn the facts first before you post them.
    Maybe you should try reading what you placed in Bold I blatantly stated that the SEC championship was the highest rated game on Dec. 1st. This is one of several information and research I do for most of the Bowl Selection committees to help them determine whom they place in their games. According to Nielsen Notre Dame and Oklahoma where the most watched football teams this season, USC, Alabama and Texas rounded out the top 5.
    2 users like sportsproducer's post: TimPOBSooner, Tundra