Not that there's anything wrong with that..

Posted 744 day(s) ago 2477 Views 72 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

but why is it that every show or new show on TV has a gay couple at the center of the storyline? Are there really that many gay couples in the US?

gays errywhere in this ****

This thread is gay.
    The following users like this post: R3D Mamba

If the Andy Griffith Show was made today I'm pretty sure it would be implied that Floyd and Barney was having sexual relations.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    but why is it that every show or new show on TV has a gay couple at the center of the storyline? Are there really that many gay couples in the US?
    Yes. we're here, we're queer, get use to it.
    6 users like brokebacksooner's post: Aurora, KCRuf/Nek, McRib, ProudSoonerMom, The Baconator®, XxSuBLiMexX

The world's going to hell. The sooner, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    I love it when people say this, the world's just fine man. What other people do with their lives affects you how? You should get out more often if that's how you feel.

Daddy? Is that you??

10% of the US population is "out" as gay. There is a sizeable chunk who still haven't come out as gay. In short yes. I'd say 15-20% of the US pop is homosexual. 1 in 5 is kind of a big market to target
    2 users like usaosooner's post: Aurora, McRib

I was looking through a list of canceled shows and saw that Partbers got canceled. What, after four episodes? From the previews it looked like one big sausage joke fest. Ugh. nothing wrong with it as part of the storyline if it's done well. But this being ghey just to be ghey doesn't work.
    The following users like this post: brokebacksooner

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    10% of the US population is "out" as gay. There is a sizeable chunk who still haven't come out as gay. In short yes. I'd say 15-20% of the US pop is homosexual. 1 in 5 is kind of a big market to target
    Where'd you get the 10% stat?

The road to Rome

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    I was looking through a list of canceled shows and saw that Partbers got canceled. What, after four episodes? From the previews it looked like one big sausage joke fest. Ugh. nothing wrong with it as part of the storyline if it's done well. But this being ghey just to be ghey doesn't work.
    Poor writing and bad acting will do that to almost any non-"reality" show.

That show was less comedy and more political opinions than Rachel Maddow/Hannity at inopportune times. Not surprised that its cancelled.

I enjoyed Will and Grace and Glee had a very emotional story line with Kurt and Blaine.
    The following users like this post: brokebacksooner

Originally Posted by URNotserious View Post
    That show was less comedy and more political opinions than Rachel Maddow/Hannity at inopportune times. Not surprised that its cancelled.
    You may be the only person who saw enough to make that assumption. I saw one promo with the ghey guy making dick/dick sucking jokes and it then earned an insta mute from me. I look back on shows like Soap and Barney Miller - even All In The Family - that had ghey characters/storylines and handled them well - even in the not so PC 70's. Now it seems as if shows either rub your face in the fact that you aren't ghey and cool or they come off like one of those Rainbow parades or a weekend at Fire Island.

Originally Posted by ProudSoonerMom View Post
    I enjoyed Will and Grace and Glee had a very emotional story line with Kurt and Blaine.
    Ugh. Glee. I'm surprised they haven't sucked **** onscreen.
    The following users like this post: bushmaster06

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    I love it when people say this, the world's just fine man. What other people do with their lives affects you how? You should get out more often if that's how you feel.
    What does 'getting out' have to do with it? Never said their behavior affected my life, either. Just stated the world is going to hell...simple as that. As a Christian, that is my opinion. As a non-Christian, as I presume you are, you disagree. Doesn't mean either one of us is right or wrong.

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    Yes. we're here, we're queer, get use to it.
    Don't get me wrong..I fully support your rights. I just find it odd so many prime time shows are either centered around or involve gay couples.

Ugh. Glee. I'm surprised they haven't sucked **** onscreen.
    If they ever do, send mikelucky a pm. He wouldn't want to miss that one.

Originally Posted by ImTheDude View Post
    Where'd you get the 10% stat?
    He pulled it out of his ass.

Most of the modern surveys I could find online were in the range of 6 - 8%.

Don't get me wrong..I fully support your rights. I just find it odd so many prime time shows are either centered around or involve gay couples.
    Nothing odd about it; don't you ya know Hollywood is full of Jews and queers.... In all seriousness; the couple in Modern Family is extremely popular, with the big guy winning a couple of Emmys. Everyone else wants that so instead of coming up with something original they just copy it hoping to get a piece of that success.
    2 users like brokebacksooner's post: IndySooner, mexican/ninja

Only 12 more days and we will all be in a world of hell.

it's the hollywood agenda...

According to an October 2012 Williams Institute study, 3.4% of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, or bisexual.

So your made up numbers are significantly off.
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by Jbaker View Post
    According to an October 2012 Williams Institute study, 3.4% of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, or bisexual.

Lol. Definition of owned. USAO, if you are going to refute something, make sure you aren't pulling stuff out of your ass. May keep you from looking like an idiot the next time around.
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    it's the hollywood agenda...

Dumb post(unless my sarcasm meter is broken). Their ONLY agenda is to make money and stay relevant especially when cable channels are becoming more and more popular.
    2 users like URNotserious's post: brokebacksooner, Tug Medick

Last edited by OrangeBlossom; December 9th, 2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Fixed hotlink

Dumb post(unless my sarcasm meter is broken). Their ONLY agenda is to make money and stay relevant especially when cable channels are becoming more and more popular.
    ok....so hollywood puts gay characters in every show when only 3.5% of the population is gay......because of the bottom line?
    are gay characters so interesting that they make shows more profitable?
    yours is the dumb/naive post....

Originally Posted by SoonerPT View Post
    He pulled it out of his ass.
    Awfully crowded up in there.
    The following users like this post: SoonerPT

Excuse me from remembering Kinsey from Psych101

why would anyone lie about gay demographics?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...4_percent.html

My # was probably off but then you run into this: People who dont self identify as gay completing surveys

"Measuring sexual orientation and gender identity can be challenging since these concepts involve complex social and cultural patterns. As a group still subject to social stigma, many of those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender may not be forthcoming about this identity when asked about it in a survey. "
    2 users like usaosooner's post: McRib, The Baconator®

Jeez, intolerant much? I'm sure these horrible gays don't want to **** you anymore than you want to **** them.
    3 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: IndySooner, SoonerIggle, URNotserious

ok....so hollywood puts gay characters in every show when only 3.5% of the population is gay......because of the bottom line?
    are gay characters so interesting that they make shows more profitable?
    yours is the dumb/naive post....
    Your post(s) is/are dumb because first of all you refer to Hollywood as "them" as in one individual organization. I am not sure if you're aware but its actually a large industry filled with people from different backgrounds, beliefs, social statuses and other demographics. To think that all of "them" have this unanimous agenda reeks not only of (your)stupidity but also an example of something that cannot be possibly done.

Secondly, there are a few shows with gay characters, not all of them. You just see what you want to(not a surprise really!!). Are they over represented? Sure. So are middle eastern people, considering they form less than 1% of American population. "Hollywood" tends to show things that are culturally relevant in a given point of time. Thanks to haters such as yourself, they're currently relevant and hence over represented.
    2 users like URNotserious's post: brokebacksooner, McRib

why would anyone lie about gay demographics?
    Because of usao's agenda to promote gay posters on this board. Dammit usao!!!!

What does 'getting out' have to do with it? Never said their behavior affected my life, either. Just stated the world is going to hell...simple as that. As a Christian, that is my opinion. As a non-Christian, as I presume you are, you disagree. Doesn't mean either one of us is right or wrong.
    When was it not going to hell? When everyone had slaves? Or when we were lynching black people? Or when everyone was doing drugs and having "free love"? Or when we were blasting civil rights protesters with fire hoses? Or when everyone was doing coke in the 80s and having casual sex?
    3 users like ozz's post: greensooner, Stinger_1066, the_Mont

Your post(s) is/are dumb because first of all you refer to Hollywood as "them" as in one individual organization. I am not sure if you're aware but its actually a large industry filled with people from different backgrounds, beliefs, social statuses and other demographics. To think that all of "them" have this unanimous agenda reeks not only of (your)stupidity but also an example of something that cannot be possibly done.

Secondly, there are a few shows with gay characters, not all of them. You just see what you want to(not a surprise really!!). Are they over represented? Sure. So are middle eastern people, considering they form less than 1% of American population. "Hollywood" tends to show things that are culturally relevant in a given point of time. Thanks to haters such as yourself, they're currently relevant and hence over represented.
    again.....yours is the dumb/naive post

Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    When was it not going to hell? When everyone had slaves? Or when we were lynching black people? Or when everyone was doing drugs and having "free love"? Or when we were blasting civil rights protesters with fire hoses? Or when everyone was doing coke in the 80s and having casual sex?
    Sounds like Thursday night at my house.

I know if you cant point to a specific quote from a book you're out of answers but you'll have to do better than repeating your claim over and over to prove your assertion.

Go ahead, I'll give you another shot.

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    Jeez, intolerant much? I'm sure these horrible gays don't want to **** you anymore than you want to **** them.
    Trust me, I want to **** them. I just don't want them trying to **** me.
    I'm not gay.
    3 users like Jbaker's post: brokebacksooner, DHF, soonerbornsoonerbrett

To answer the OP's question, portraying gay relationships as being normal on TV is "edgy" now and it gets attention. But, they're saturating the market. Soon the topic will lose its edge and they'll have to find something else to push the envelope, which has been MTV's playbook for the past 20 years.
    4 users like ltsooner's post: cosmoxl, Irish_Sooner, oucub23, Shooter

Trust me, I want to **** them. I just don't want them trying to **** me.
    I'm not gay.
    I take it you're not a power bottom then eh?

Originally Posted by ltsooner View Post
    To answer the OP's question, portraying gay relationships as being normal on TV is "edgy" now and it gets attention. But, they're saturating the market. Soon the topic will lose its edge and they'll have to find something else to push the envelope, which has been MTV's playbook for the past 20 years.
    Ding. Ding. Ding.

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    Hardly.

It's sorta like that frog in a boiling pot experiment . . . just keep adding a gay couple here and there and suddenly everyone accepts it and moves on.

Originally Posted by ltsooner View Post
    The funny thing is the envelope was pushed with Will and Grace, and that was years ago. Now it's attempted edginess and it doesn't work, unless, as BB implied, it's a good show in the first place.

The positive side of this is that Hollywood is a positive influence on things like this when done properly. Sadly, for a lot of people, the only openly gay people they see are news reports on Pride parades. Stuff like that doesn't promote acceptance--it closes a lot of people off. Seeing characters they care about in Modern Family or Gray's Anatomy though does a different thing to people--rather than being offended as many are by Pride they see these characters first as people.
    2 users like oucub23's post: brokebacksooner, IndySooner

Everybody will change their mind if they focus on the funny instead of the promiscuous anal sex.

Coke and casual sex. Man, why did the 80s have to end?

He is huh?

Name each of these celebrities publicly stated individual political affiliation: