WVU mascot told to stop killing bears with WV's musket

Posted 719 day(s) ago 1675 Views 24 Replies

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) -- The musket toted by West Virginia University's Mountaineer isn't just a prop -- it's a bona fide weapon, and mascot Jonathan Kimble demonstrated that when he brought down a black bear with it in the woods.

Now WVU has ordered Kimble to stop using his university-issued weapon on hunting trips after a video of this week's kill was posted online. He says hunting with the gun is a Mountaineer mascot tradition.

The 24-year-old Franklin resident accompanied more than a dozen friends and family on the trip in Pendleton County on Monday. In the video, Kimble is shown firing the musket at the bear in a tree.

"Let's go Mountaineers!" Kimble yells afterward. He also posted a photo of himself with the bear on Twitter.

The WVU mascot wears buckskin and a ****skin cap and fires the musket - loaded with black powder but minus ammunition - at home athletic events and other sponsored activities. Hunting isn't one of them.

"While Jonathan Kimble's actions broke no laws or regulations, the university has discussed this with him, and he agrees that it would be appropriate to forego using the musket in this way in the future," said WVU spokesman John Bolt.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...si_mostpopular

Obama must be behind this
    The following users like this post: Yatahaze

It was a young bear too. What is to be gained by killing young harmless wild life in the deep woods. If the bear posed a threat to people, especially children it would be another issue altogether. What a waste!!!
    2 users like SoonerDick's post: cbsooner, SoulRebel

Originally Posted by SoonerDick View Post
    It was a young bear too. What is to be gained by killing young harmless wild life in the deep woods. If the bear posed a threat to people, especially children it would be another issue altogether. What a waste!!!

I don't suppose you're the hunting type?
    4 users like FallenSoul250's post: cale_920, pphilfran, Sooner Bob, sooner68

Originally Posted by FallenSoul250 View Post
    And an expert on bear.

Originally Posted by FallenSoul250 View Post
    nobody but a worthless piece of shit kills a less than 6 month old cub,where's the mother? If she's dead take the cub to a shelter via the Dept of Wildlife.Picking on the helpless and underachieving...GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!

I thought that dude's beard was a fake. What a dork.

LOL Black bears are so abundant here, they're almost a nuisance. That one does look small, however. Had 3 that got into my garbage this fall, all probably twice that size.

Here's one we named General Sherman. This is a couple blocks from my apartment.

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post
    LOL Black bears are so abundant here, they're almost a nuisance. That one does look small, however. Had 3 that got into my garbage this fall, all probably twice that size.

To me that bear looks older than 6mths. I'm not a bear expert.
    2 users like Coach's post: BMR, Sooner Bob

Probably made him feel better about his small ****.

You killed a cub. You're a real badass. ****hole.
    6 users like melbitoast's post: BAMFSooner, bushmaster06, DirtySouth_Sooner, jdmt37, McRib, SoulRebel

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post

That was an awesome video! Watched the whole thing, time well spent! Gotta admit though, that head shot at the end made me cringe, dang near took his eye out!

If true, this will probably be a front page article on PETA's website.

Screw the Bears, Go Packers!!!

I hope they do thorough background checks on their mascots. Giving a real weapon to someone and then putting them in front of 50,000 fans seems dangerous.

Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
    You killed a cub. You're a real badass. ****hole.
    I'll rely on their local wildlife department's rules and regulations before passing judgment.
    2 users like OUMallen's post: FriarDan, SoonerBeerSnob

He shot a baby bear. You can't eat it. I'd be impressed if he killed it using only a knife. I hope this starts some feud or rivalry with Baylor. It'd be funny if the university took away the real gun and gave him a toy one that is yellow.

Has nothing to do with wether I am a hunter or size of my ****. I am a qualified military marksman, and I screw beautiful women as a profession. LOL
    The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle

Last edited by SoonerDick; December 10th, 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Re: WVU mascot told to stop killing bears with WV's musket

Has nothing to do with weather I am a hunter or size of my ****. I am a qualified military marksman, and I screw beautiful women as a profession. LOL
    *whether

Moved to O'Connells. While the OP was legitimately posted in OF, the discussion that followed belongs in OC.

The pussification of Merikuh.

Not as much fun as killing baby kittens, but to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossom View Post
    Moved to O'Connells. While the OP was legitimately posted in OF, the discussion that followed belongs in OC.
    If we talk about making bear skin footballs can this thread be moved back?
    The following users like this post: PokeJ

Originally Posted by greenfacedman View Post
    nobody but a worthless piece of shit kills a less than 6 month old cub,where's the mother? If she's dead take the cub to a shelter via the Dept of Wildlife.Picking on the helpless and underachieving...GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!
    If it was a cub he would of broken the law it said no laws were broken. Besides just like hogs younger animals are easier to eat example wild boar piglets are better eating than adult boars and so on and so forth. If he killed it for fun (which it doesn't determine) then yeah he's a worthless piece of shit. Until that's known for sure I'd get off my high horse.

Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    The pussification of Merikuh.
    I bet they also made him shut down his still.