Boxing

Posted 691 day(s) ago 389 Views 11 Replies

Boxing

Ok, with Pacmans loss, what now for the fighters in the 140-154 range. You have a lot of good fighters. Broner could move up, Mayweather, Bradley, Alexander, Guerrero, Garcia, Pacman, Kahn, Alverez, Trout, Cotto and some others I am missing I am sure. Mayweather said he was fighting in May and Sept, but who is he going to fight?? When is Bradley going to get off his butt? Will everyone dodge Bronner? What do you guys see next?

you just want white people to die....

nothing to see in this thread.

used to love boxing, but now i couldn't care less. (i watched too many bullshit decisions over the years)

Originally Posted by surus View Post
    used to love boxing, but now i couldn't care less. (i watched too many bullshit decisions over the years)
    There have been some serious WTF moments. The biggest one for me was the Lewis/Holyfield I decision. That fight was so one sided that I turned it off only to find out later that they called it a draw. The only thing good about that was it was the end of Don King for the most part. Other than that, Bradley/Pacman was a bad one too. There have been more I am sure.

Anyway, Mayweather said he would fight twice next year, but who is he going to fight? Canelo would be a good opponent but I dont know that Canelo is ready to make that big a step up in competition. Maybe Pacman/Mayweather will finally happen, but Pacman can forget getting anything close to 50/50 payout.

Boxing died for me after the Pernell Whitaker/Julio Cesar Chavez fight. Sweet Pea got screwed and I knew boxing had become a staged event.

Mayweather will fight Robert Guerrero in May. The wheels are already in motion on that. That fight doesn't do a whole lot for me, but Guerrero has a backstory that will sell, just like Ortiz did.

Look for Alvarez to still fight Cotto next, provided Cotto doesn't retire. Despite Cotto losing to Trout that's still the biggest money fight available for Alvarez outside of a fight with Floyd, which I think they're trying to let "marinate" some more.

I think Broner takes at least 1 if not 2 more fights at 135 before moving up to 140. I think that's a good idea. You don't want to move him up too fast and quite frankly he hasn't really beaten anyone of that much substance yet. DeMarco was a paper tiger in many ways.

Alexander and Kell Brook are fighting in January, good fight. The winner of that one sets themselves up for a major fight.

I would absolutely love to see JMMarquez fight Brandon Rios next. That would be an absolute WAR. However, I'm guessing we probably get JMM-Pacquiao V next unless Pacquiao is too busted up physically/mentally to go right back to it in his next fight.

As for Bradley, I think he'll be back in February, but I have absolutely no idea who he is going to fight. It's becoming clear that Timmy made a big, big mistake by signing with Top Rank. He signed with them to get the Pacquiao fight but unfortunately he didn't look into the future and ask himself what happens after that? Top Rank's stable in the 140/147 lb range is vastly inferior to what Golden Boy has now. And, with this silly feud going on, there is little to no chance that a fight can be made between Bradley and one of Golden Boy's fighters.

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Mayweather will fight Robert Guerrero in May. The wheels are already in motion on that. That fight doesn't do a whole lot for me, but Guerrero has a backstory that will sell, just like Ortiz did.

Look for Alvarez to still fight Cotto next, provided Cotto doesn't retire. Despite Cotto losing to Trout that's still the biggest money fight available for Alvarez outside of a fight with Floyd, which I think they're trying to let "marinate" some more.

I think Broner takes at least 1 if not 2 more fights at 135 before moving up to 140. I think that's a good idea. You don't want to move him up too fast and quite frankly he hasn't really beaten anyone of that much substance yet. DeMarco was a paper tiger in many ways.

Alexander and Kell Brook are fighting in January, good fight. The winner of that one sets themselves up for a major fight.

I would absolutely love to see JMMarquez fight Brandon Rios next. That would be an absolute WAR. However, I'm guessing we probably get JMM-Pacquiao V next unless Pacquiao is too busted up physically/mentally to go right back to it in his next fight.

As for Bradley, I think he'll be back in February, but I have absolutely no idea who he is going to fight. It's becoming clear that Timmy made a big, big mistake by signing with Top Rank. He signed with them to get the Pacquiao fight but unfortunately he didn't look into the future and ask himself what happens after that? Top Rank's stable in the 140/147 lb range is vastly inferior to what Golden Boy has now. And, with this silly feud going on, there is little to no chance that a fight can be made between Bradley and one of Golden Boy's fighters.
    A Mayweather/Guerrero fight would be interesting. Itll sell just because of Mayweather. Guerrero may try to rough him up just like he did Berto.

Demarco fought the wrong fight. If he would have moved and stayed outside stepping to his right, he may have had a chance. He tried to brawl with a fighter that is compact with great hand speed.

Alexander and Brook will be a good fight, but Alexander has a boring style. Not good for TV at all.

Marquez is 39 so I wonder if he has anything left in the tank. Pacman was getting to him before he made is rookie mistake of fainting with his hands instead of his legs and hip, then coming straight ahead instead of stepping to the side to fire. That said, I wonder if Pacquiao can come back from this. He was out cold. I thought he was dead...LOL. Its going to be interesting to see how he comes back from this KO.

Bradley did make a mistake for sure, but he better get busy. Hes a good fighter, but nobody respects his belt. He needs to go get that respect. Maybe he can get Kahn after his fight this weekend with Molina. Not that it would gain him respect, but he has to fight somebody. He did call Kahn out and then backed off it for some reason.

Cotto should retire. He gets hit too much. When Trout put pressure on him, he had no answer. He still throws nice short punches, but his defense has been bad his entire career and that wont change with age and punishment.

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    Boxing died for me after the Pernell Whitaker/Julio Cesar Chavez fight. Sweet Pea got screwed and I knew boxing had become a staged event.
    I forgot about this one. It was a horrible decision. They got Sweet Pea again with De La Hoya. I thought he won that fight too.

Alexander and Brook will be a good fight, but Alexander has a boring style. Not good for TV at all.
    Honestly if I never saw another Devon Alexander or Tim Bradley fight I would be perfectly content. It's not a pleasing style.

Bradley did make a mistake for sure, but he better get busy. Hes a good fighter, but nobody respects his belt. He needs to go get that respect. Maybe he can get Kahn after his fight this weekend with Molina. Not that it would gain him respect, but he has to fight somebody. He did call Kahn out and then backed off it for some reason.
    Unfortunately I can't see Bradley-Khan being made because Bradley is with Top Rank and Khan is with Golden Boy. Bradley's big problem is that outside of Pacquiao and Rios, Top Rank has very little to offer at 140/147. Mike Jones would've been a candidate before he got KTFO by (LOL) Randall Bailey. Perhaps a Bradley-Marquez fight? Bradley would school Marquez, however.

Cotto should retire. He gets hit too much. When Trout put pressure on him, he had no answer. He still throws nice short punches, but his defense has been bad his entire career and that wont change with age and punishment.
    I don't think Cotto has much left either, but he could come back for one more big payday against Alvarez. I think an Alvarez-Cotto fight would look a lot like when Alvarez fought Mosley - an embarrassingly one sided beat down.

I stopped watching boxing with all the bs decisions that was going on and still does. You never see the best fight the best. This I don't see changing. Probably the biggest reason I like the UFC so much. They have the best fight the best. I never miss any UFC fights.

Originally Posted by macdaddybuff View Post
    I stopped watching boxing with all the bs decisions that was going on and still does. You never see the best fight the best. This I don't see changing. Probably the biggest reason I like the UFC so much. They have the best fight the best. I never miss any UFC fights.
    The UFC has had their fair share of HORRIBLE decisions over the past few years as well. They aren't immune.

Re: Boxing

No where close to what boxing has. Their are also way more stopages due to knock out or submissions it does not always go to decisions. Dana says don't leave it in the judges hands.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2