Do Abused Kids Grow Up to Abuse

Posted 719 day(s) ago 402 Views 13 Replies

I think so, in this story he says "beatings not as bad as I used to get as a kid"
    So in my mind I think, if you got beat wouldn't you know better than to beat your kid but I guess instead you can have the mind set "I won't beat him as bad"

Where are my board counselors and my "kids are pussies now" crowd

Read Here

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston dad is facing charges for allegedly beating his young son because he put his slippers on the wrong feet.

Related Content
    MORE: Got a story idea? Let us know!
    According to court documents, on October 1 Jonathan Walker beat his 8-year-old son so bad with a belt at their south side Houston residence that he was transported to the hospital.

Houston police say medical records indicated that the boy suffered a bruised eye and had belt marks, extension cord marks, possible cigarette burns and other injuries in different healing stages. The boy told police that Walker struck him multiple times with a belt on his body after discovering he had put his slippers on the wrong feet. The boy says Walker also punched him in the face.

According to police, Walker admitted to them that he struck his son with the belt and that he had beaten him other times until he sees injury. Police say Walker told them the beating he gives his son are not as bad as what he used to get when he was a child.

Walker, 26, is charged with injury to child.

Court records show Walker has a prior conviction of assault of a family member in 2010.

he should have put his slippers on the right feet.

Seriously, kids are pussified these days but this kind of shit has no excuse. The "father" should receive a beating that would make him wish he was only beaten like he had been as child. Maybe that will give him a reminder as how he felt as child being beaten by his father. Then throw him in general population in prison with the label of being a pedophile.

Generally speaking, not always, but some do. It depends on how the abuse was addressed, if at all. Did someone intervene and help the child learn how to appropriately work through the trauma they suffered, as well as the feelings and learned behaviors due to the abuse? Was the abuse chronic or acute? What was the child's age/developmental level at the time of the abuse? Were they able to understand what was happening? Or was the child able to understand later? Will he be? If the child was never taught appropriate coping strategies, and experienced some ramifications of the abuse such as attachment or trust issues, a misunderstanding of normal parent-child behaviors and relationships, and even somatic problems and sleep disturbance, absolutely they can continue the cycle.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

It's about perspective. If you, as a woman, live with a guy for 5 years and he beats you bloody 3 or 4 times a week, it's tough to get out of that. If you do, and the next guy you get with only shoves you or holds you down, or cusses you and calls you a **** 3 or 4 times a day, that's so much better than what you had, it can't be that bad, can it? People that were beaten badly as kids have their 'normal' skewed.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    It's about perspective. If you, as a woman, live with a guy for 5 years and he beats you bloody 3 or 4 times a week, it's tough to get out of that. If you do, and the next guy you get with only shoves you or holds you down, or cusses you and calls you a **** 3 or 4 times a day, that's so much better than what you had, it can't be that bad, can it? People that were beaten badly as kids have their 'normal' skewed.
    It feels wrong to like this, but yes. Exactly.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Very Freudian of you.

How else would this board have come to be?

I try to beat my kids at least once a week...whether they deserve it or not...
    2 users like SoonerArtillery's post: Aurora, jdmt37

My Dad use to get backhanded out of his chair, for buttering the bread with the worng side of the knife.

Think about all the things you do because or the way you handle situations because that's what you learned from your parents. To paraphrase Cub, abuse becomes your new normal. As Rib said, if not addressed appropriately I think it can become worse. Some people go to the opposite extreme.

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    Think about all the things you do because or the way you handle situations because that's what you learned from your parents. To paraphrase Cub, abuse becomes your new normal. As Rib said, if not addressed appropriately I think it can become worse. Some people go to the opposite extreme.
    A bunch of families were together for a family reunion. The mother and grandmother were in the kitchen making a roast. As the mother was about to put the roast in the pan, she cut the end of it off. Her younger daughter, who was about 10, looked at her and said 'Mom, why are you cutting the end off?'

Mom looked at her young daughter and realized she didn't know. She looked to her mother and realized that she did it because her mother had always done it. 'Mom, why did you always cut the end off the roast?' Grandma looks thoughtful for a minute and responds, 'I don't know. My mom always did it.'

The three ladies then go into the den area where great grandma is watching television. 'Mom,' says grandma, 'why did you always cut the end off the roasts you made when I was a kid??'

Great grandma looks up at the three generations in front of her and says, 'Well, because I never had a pan big enough to hold a whole roast of course.'
    2 users like oucub23's post: brokebacksooner, McRib

Question for the experts...what factors (excluding drugs) would lead someone who grew up in a normal, healthy environment, to become abusive and how common is that?

Question for the experts...what factors (excluding drugs) would lead someone who grew up in a normal, healthy environment, to become abusive and how common is that?
    Trauma or stress would be the most likely culprits. Psychosis can also lead to abuse.

Stresses due to job, money, relationships or anything else. It all starts when you make something a priority over your kid.
    2 users like bruthaman's post: Aurora, jmizzy4ou