OU's slow slide

Posted 683 day(s) ago by Blatant Homerism7265 Views 151 Replies
Results 101 to 150 of 152
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
  1. #101
    Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    I said OU was in a serious hunt this season. I didn’t say OU was in the hunt towards the end. I said ND eliminated OU from the hunt, like Stanford eliminated Oregon, and like Bama eliminated LSU, and Georgia. In week 9 prior to the ND game, OU was ranked #8, having to play ND, and with a lot of SEC in front of them. In week 9, OU was within striking distance, thus in the hunt. If OU beats ND, we are ranked #3 (the worst) right now.

    By your reasoning, only ND and Bama were really in the hunt this year. KSU was in the hunt and was eliminated by Baylor. Nobody here will say that we are happy with a 10-2 year and a Cotton Bowl bid, but we aren’t unhappy about it either. It’s a good year. I don’t think the data backs up your narrative. I think you had an idea, and tried to make the data fit into it.
    Most of us knew exactly what you were saying. This guy doesn't understand how college football works - ie. 18-23 yr old kids cycle thru every 4-5 years, injuries occur, kids flunk out, kids go pro, schedule changes (new OOC teams, home/away in conf), etc etc etc. It's a season long playoff, just like you said and we were right there in the end.

  2. #102
    Schooner9 you got that right. Two plays made the difference. We went into the ND game a little complacent and couldn't recover when we needed to. However, as much as I hate the Golden Domers I do not want Alabama to win the NC two years in a row.

  3. #103
    OkieforOU's Avatar
    Posts
    2,530
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern Oklahoma

    2010 season; OU was preseason #1 and deemed worthy of their own special by ESPN. The Sooners inexplicably dropped a game to a crumbie Tech team, then one to Baylor and then went into full meltdown against OSux. Granted the Sheephosers had their 'once in a generation' team. After the season, Stoops took action sending several non-participants to the house and bringing Mike back to run the defense.

    I admire this team and Landry Jones in particular for gutting up and winning the last three games but the SOONERS could just as easily be 7 and 5 right now. I realize that luck is part of football.

    I think we've been in a downward spiral but more the result of an average QB and a poor Defenesive Co-ordinator than bad recruiting. Recruiting hasn't changed that much. Stoops has never been a great one.
    I think we need to face the fact that Bob is an above average coach but just an average recruiter. I think if all goes well we'll be back to at least losing national championships in a couple of years. I don't think Bob will ever have the talent that Saban and some others have now, but I'm not sure the King would be able to recruit that sort of talent to OU today, if he played by the rules.

  4. #104
    Nazgul's Avatar
    Posts
    2,267
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minas Morgul

    Blatant achieved his true motive: a few hits on his website.
    2 users like Nazgul's post: ab5sr, MoJoOkie


  5. #105
    Turk's Avatar
    Posts
    6,634
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    BFE,OK

    Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    Blatant achieved his true motive: a few hits on his website.
    Well if I'd have known about the headache I would receive trying to understand his "four year sliding scale" I would have definitely declined going there.

  6. #106
    Slow decline. I see. Because we're not playing for the NC every year. Okay.

    After we got Tebowed, UF finished 2009 at number 5. In 2010, they were OUT of the top 25 in the final BCS standings. Same for 2011. Now they're still not playing for the NC, so at #3, they're still a failure, right?

    Compare that to OU. We were out of the BCS in 2009, then in 2010 finished the year at 7. 2011 found us at 14, and in 2012 we're currently at 11.

    I swear, some of you think we should be a combination of LSU and Alabama, with a Lee Roy Selmon recruited every year for good measure. Are there things that need to be addressed? Sure, and I hope that our O line goes a year or maybe two without getting crushed with injuries. Our D line could do with a stud. That being said, Chuka Ndulue was JUST A SOPHOMORE. He could be the Next Guy. We'll see. That being said, I'm going to take my chances with Bob.
    3 users like Oldnslo's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, MoJoOkie, SpankyNek


  7. #107
    Stoops will not fire any assistants no matter what the fans want .. Bob is comfortable with his millions coming in. He doesn't see a problem. We need a head coach to come in and bring some assistants who can recruit and who are hungry to win a NC.. OU is a great program and needs a head coach.

  8. #108
    Originally Posted by Oldnslo View Post
    Slow decline. I see. Because we're not playing for the NC every year. Okay.

    After we got Tebowed, UF finished 2009 at number 5. In 2010, they were OUT of the top 25 in the final BCS standings. Same for 2011. Now they're still not playing for the NC, so at #3, they're still a failure, right?

    Compare that to OU. We were out of the BCS in 2009, then in 2010 finished the year at 7. 2011 found us at 14, and in 2012 we're currently at 11.

    I swear, some of you think we should be a combination of LSU and Alabama, with a Lee Roy Selmon recruited every year for good measure. Are there things that need to be addressed? Sure, and I hope that our O line goes a year or maybe two without getting crushed with injuries. Our D line could do with a stud. That being said, Chuka Ndulue was JUST A SOPHOMORE. He could be the Next Guy. We'll see. That being said, I'm going to take my chances with Bob.
    Unfortunately you will be sorry you did.

  9. #109
    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Stoops will not fire any assistants no matter what the fans want .. Bob is comfortable with his millions coming in. He doesn't see a problem. We need a head coach to come in and bring some assistants who can recruit and who are hungry to win a NC.. OU is a great program and needs a head coach.
    We just made a major staff change last offseason....

  10. #110
    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    We just made a major staff change last offseason....

    Well, I guess you MUST be talking about Bob hiring his out of work brother ? I think that was a good move. Now, Make a point please ? Where in my post did I say Bob hasn't made a change ? Come on now show me ?

  11. #111
    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Well, I guess you MUST be talking about Bob hiring his out of work brother ? I think that was a good move. Now, Mke a point please ? Where in my post did I say Bob hasn't made a change ? Come on now show me ?
    Here you go.

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Stoops will not fire any assistants no matter what the fans want .. Bob is comfortable with his millions coming in. He doesn't see a problem. We need a head coach to come in and bring some assistants who can recruit and who are hungry to win a NC.. OU is a great program and needs a head coach.
    Fans wanted Wilson gone and Heupel in. It happened. People wanted Martinez and Venables gone and Mike in. It happened. You said that "Stoops will not fire any assistants no matter what the fans want", and that is untrue.

  12. #112
    My view on the subject: We could be better.

  13. #113
    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Here you go.



    Fans wanted Wilson gone and Heupel in. It happened. People wanted Martinez and Venables gone and Mike in. It happened. You said that "Stoops will not fire any assistants no matter what the fans want", and that is untrue.
    Wow, Can't believe you are so ****ing dumb that you did the same thing.. Ok, again, WHERE did I say in my post that Bob HAS NOT fired assistants ? Come on now, You can do it. HA HA HA HA.

  14. #114
    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Wow, Can't believe you are so ****ing dumb that you did the same thing.. Ok, again, WHERE did I say in my post that Bob HAS NOT fired assistants ? Come on now, You can do it. HA HA HA HA.
    You said Stoops will not fire any assistants. You're wrong. He has proven that he will do it, because he's done it the last two offseasons.

  15. #115
    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Here you go.



    Fans wanted Wilson gone and Heupel in. It happened. People wanted Martinez and Venables gone and Mike in. It happened. You said that "Stoops will not fire any assistants no matter what the fans want", and that is untrue.
    Ok, Enough of this. It's time to call you on your stupidity.. I said BOB WILL NOT, Didn't say he hasn't DID I ? What a dumbass.

  16. #116
    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Ok, Enough of this. It's time to call you on your stupidity.. I said BOB WILL NOT, Didn't say he hasn't DID I ? What a dumbass.
    Okay, what has he done in the past that makes you think that he won't? Because all of his past decisions have indicated that he would make the changes.

  17. #117
    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    You said Stoops will not fire any assistants. You're wrong. He has proven that he will do it, because he's done it the last two offseasons.
    NO, Just because he did in the past doesn't mean he will and I am saying he will not.. Now, Is that clear ? BTW, Do you think OR are you actually saying that Bob fired Wilson and Venables ? It sure sounds like it from your post.

  18. #118
    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Okay, what has he done in the past that makes you think that he won't? Because all of his past decisions have indicated that he would make the changes.
    YOU name the OU assistants that Bob has fired ? Name them.. Martinez ? Who else ?

  19. #119
    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    NO, Just because he did in the past doesn't mean he will and I am saying he will not.. Now, Is that clear ? BTW, Do you think OR are you actually saying that Bob fired Wilson and Venables ? It sure sounds like it from your post.
    What makes you think that Stoops wouldn't make the changes?

  20. #120
    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    YOU name the OU assistants that Bob has fired ? Name them.. Martinez ? Who else ?
    If Bob wanted Venables and Wilson here, they'd still be here.

  21. #121
    BTW, I say Martinez would still be at OU if not for Bob making room for his brother.. I believe that and I doubt I'm the only one.
    The following users like this post: Widescreen


  22. #122
    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    If Bob wanted Venables and Wilson here, they'd still be here.
    SO, He fired both of them ?

  23. #123
    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    If Bob wanted Venables and Wilson here, they'd still be here.
    Venables was offered more money to stay .. So, You are saying when Bob doesn't want a coach to stay he offers that coach a raise ? BAHAHAHA

  24. #124
    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Okay, what has he done in the past that makes you think that he won't? Because all of his past decisions have indicated that he would make the changes.
    Name the coaches Bob has fired at OU ? OR admit you are a full blown idiot. BAHAHAHA

  25. #125
    Irish_Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    16,741
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX

    Well what do you know... Raise your hand if you are surprised that this thread has deteriorated to Boomer Magic(someone has to fill in for Byrk) verbally shitting all over the place ... Nobody? Yea didn't figure it would surprise anyone



    Good thread for discussion even though I disagree with your premise BH ... I rate it 5 stars
    3 users like Irish_Sooner's post: DHF, DirtySouth_Sooner, MoJoOkie


  26. #126
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    13,621
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Records aside more than a few times OU has played a higher brand of football than what we have seen this season.
    A few high end DT’s and more good OL are the 2 biggest things we are missing.
    Throw in a quality middle linebacker and we might be missing about 7 to 9 players.

  27. #127
    Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    "...when you're playing fewer games."

    This will help those us on this board who speak and read the English language.
    "those us"? How about "those OF us"?

    Cracks me up when the English majors show up, act like dicks to other posters, then **** up their own posts. GD classic.
    The following users like this post: oudidntknow84


  28. #128
    PowerPower's Avatar
    Posts
    1,237
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Juárez, Mexico

    OU's slow slide

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Ok, Enough of this. It's time to call you on your stupidity.. I said BOB WILL NOT, Didn't say he hasn't DID I ? What a dumbass.
    You're actually the dumbass. You said Stoops won't fire someone and then you offer no evidence. Then he says Bob will fire someone based on past evidence.

    Bob fired Martinez and Pelini. Also tell us Castiglione's policy for firing coaches. Just wanting to see if you know or if you always talk our of your culo.

  29. #129
    OkieforOU's Avatar
    Posts
    2,530
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern Oklahoma

    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Records aside more than a few times OU has played a higher brand of football than what we have seen this season.
    A few high end DT’s and more good OL are the 2 biggest things we are missing.
    Throw in a quality middle linebacker and we might be missing about 7 to 9 players.
    I thought the O-line was the bright spot on the team this year. OU avg. 4.9 ypc. so far this year with multiple injuries and only gave up, is it 14 sax on the year??
    The defense gave up 4.8 ypc this year, way more than the 3.7 ypc in 2011 and 4.1 in 2010

    I believe we return everyone but Lane Johnson.

  30. #130
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    13,621
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Originally Posted by OkieforOU View Post
    I thought the O-line was the bright spot on the team this year. OU avg. 4.9 ypc. so far this year with multiple injuries and only gave up, is it 14 sax on the year??
    The defense gave up 4.8 ypc this year, way more than the 3.7 ypc in 2011 and 4.1 in 2010

    I believe we return everyone but Lane Johnson.
    The OL didn’t do a bad job but it still had a hard time getting push on decent opponents. The depth sucks and that will seriously impact the team in 2 years unless we recruit good numbers of OL now.

  31. #131
    ousooner_4's Avatar
    Posts
    1,069
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ardmore, OK

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Stoops will not fire any assistants no matter what the fans want .. Bob is comfortable with his millions coming in. He doesn't see a problem. We need a head coach to come in and bring some assistants who can recruit and who are hungry to win a NC.. OU is a great program and needs a head coach.
    like clockwork

  32. #132
    The lack of a Big 12 championship game is part of this.

  33. #133
    Originally Posted by PowerPower View Post
    You're actually the dumbass. You said Stoops won't fire someone and then you offer no evidence. Then he says Bob will fire someone based on past evidence.

    Bob fired Martinez and Pelini. Also tell us Castiglione's policy for firing coaches. Just wanting to see if you know or if you always talk our of your culo.
    Wait DUNBASS.. I don't need evidence, It's done that way on this board didn't you know ? Are you SURE Bob fired Pelini ? But, You ignore the poster implied that Bob Fired Wilson and Venables. So Yeah, You are a true dumbass. BAHAHAHAHA

  34. #134
    Irish_Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    16,741
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX

    Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    Wait DUNBASS.. I don't need evidence, It's done that way on this board didn't you know ? Are you SURE Bob fired Pelini ? But, You ignore the poster implied that Bob Fired Wilson and Venables. So Yeah, You are a true dumbass. BAHAHAHAHA
    awesome

  35. #135
    .
    2 users like soonerintn's post: boomermagic, URNotserious

    Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:28 AM.

  36. #136
    Irish_Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    16,741
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX

    Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Only idiots wanted Wilson gone and Heupel in.
    I wanted Wilson gone but wanted Heupel to cut his teeth elsewhere or to learn more on staff here before being given the reigns as playcaller here ... Hopefully he(JH) continues to improve as a playcaller/main OC or...

  37. #137
    Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    "...when you're playing fewer games."

    This will help those us on this board who speak and read the English language.
    Yeah, but that's a battle we're bound to lose, I'm afraid, since writers (newspaper, blogs) and tv folk routinely make the same mistake.

  38. #138
    Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Only idiots wanted Wilson gone and Heupel in.
    STU and Cali both hated Wilson.... oh wait, maybe you are correct?

  39. #139
    Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    I'd have nailed 8-5 had Saunders and Brown not been added at the last minute. We were close to an awful season.
    We might have lost an extra game or two, but 8-5 was never really close. If Saunders isn't playing then Shepard get's more touches. It's really a wash in my opinion.

    DD Williams was a bigger get, imho.

  40. #140
    .
    Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:27 AM.

  41. #141
    Irish_Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    16,741
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX

    Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Have you seen the quality of the product on the field? It definitely has declined. You are looking at end result and not how we got there.

    Lack of home field advantage.
    Record number of yards and points against our defense.
    Decline in recruiting.
    Decline in the OU brand.

    "Winning" a conference that is down is not the same as winning it when tech, and ut were top 5 teams.
    I think the bolded(I know) issue is the main thing that has declined as we are not forcing turnovers close to the rate we were prior to Mike's departure. I believe that given another full offseason and an obviously needed upgrade along the front 7 on D and we will be in a position to go where we all want to go.

    Despite the sky is falling attitude of some we are very close to the top there is not much difference in where we are and where the top 2 teams are this season. I have confidence that before the current Fr. class graduates we will have had at least one more shot at #8.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner


  42. #142
    Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Have you seen the quality of the product on the field? It definitely has declined. You are looking at end result and not how we got there.

    Lack of home field advantage.
    Record number of yards and points against our defense.
    Decline in recruiting.
    Decline in the OU brand.

    "Winning" a conference that is down is not the same as winning it when tech, and ut were top 5 teams.
    i guest you will either **** about "lack of home field advantage" or cut and paste in your "can't win on the road".

  43. #143
    Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner View Post
    I think the bolded(I know) issue is the main thing that has declined as we are not forcing turnovers close to the rate we were prior to Mike's departure. I believe that given another full offseason and an obviously needed upgrade along the front 7 on D and we will be in a position to go where we all want to go.

    Despite the sky is falling attitude of some we are very close to the top there is not much difference in where we are and where the top 2 teams are this season. I have confidence that before the current Fr. class graduates we will have had at least one more shot at #8.
    We need a defense. Give us a defense and we win. Some of it is the offense. Teams with less offense and slower offenses, have better defenses because they get more rest and have to endure less plays. But some of it this year was the inability to stop the run. I am a bit afraid that MS doesn't know how to line up linebackers very well.

  44. #144
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Why is everyone OK with losing to the #1 team? I remember when we were the ones handing people their asses and making other people take moral victories.
    I completely agree, man. We're Oklahoma! And I know its an arrogant attitude but why not be arrogant. This is one of the most storied programs in all of college football. 4 years ago, this team had a swagger and we administered beat downs and as you said, teams like Tech or Oklahoma State or Kansas State would come away feeing good because we were a top 5 team. Now we're feeling content about another 10 win season and a good bowl game. Hey, I'm happy with the consistency of the Stoops era but we've gotta get back on top. Its been 12 years and its just about time.

  45. #145
    ab5sr's Avatar
    Posts
    4,797
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mia's hometown

    Originally Posted by OnlyOneBubbaMoses View Post
    We might have lost an extra game or two, but 8-5 was never really close. If Saunders isn't playing then Shepard get's more touches. It's really a wash in my opinion.

    DD Williams was a bigger get, imho.
    We went down to the last play against WVU and TCU, and beat OSU in overtime. That's 3 + the 2 we lost, or drop go 2-1 in those games and lose a bowl game gives same record. Four to five losses wasn't that far off IMO. DD wasn't full speed for the better part of those tough games; just got back to full strength vs TCU. He was good when healthy, but when his ankle was bothering him Clay did a good job stepping up while he was riding pine.

  46. #146
    .
    Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:27 AM.

  47. #147
    Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    We gave up record number of yards and took an ass kicking for the ages from OSU prior to Mike setting foot back on campus. This isn't a 1 year "slide".

    There is a huge difference in our defense and the one's put out there by LSU and Bama. There is a huge difference in the quality of the front 7 we are getting and what they are getting.

    You may be right about a chance to play for #8, if you consider being in a 4 team playoff as a chance to play for it. In 2014, OU has Tennessee, OSU and KSU at home. If the conference continues the downslide, OU's schedule is very manageable. OU could make the final 4 without really playing anyone very good and without being elite themselves. Winning a crappy conference and not playing anyone of note out of conference may get you to the final 4, but it doesn't necessarily mean your product has improved.

    As an analogy, winning a qualifying heat as a quarter horse against a bunch of mules doesn't necessarily mean you can run with thoroughbreds in the finals.
    We play in consistently the 2nd best conference in the country.

    I assume you are calling the Big 12 a crappy conference?
    The following users like this post: Irish_Sooner


  48. #148
    Irish_Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    16,741
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX

    Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    We gave up record number of yards and took an ass kicking for the ages from OSU prior to Mike setting foot back on campus. This isn't a 1 year "slide".

    There is a huge difference in our defense and the one's put out there by LSU and Bama. There is a huge difference in the quality of the front 7 we are getting and what they are getting.

    You may be right about a chance to play for #8, if you consider being in a 4 team playoff as a chance to play for it. In 2014, OU has Tennessee, OSU and KSU at home. If the conference continues the downslide, OU's schedule is very manageable. OU could make the final 4 without really playing anyone very good and without being elite themselves. Winning a crappy conference and not playing anyone of note out of conference may get you to the final 4, but it doesn't necessarily mean your product has improved.

    As an analogy, winning a qualifying heat as a quarter horse against a bunch of mules doesn't necessarily mean you can run with thoroughbreds in the finals.
    FWIW I didn't say it was a 1 year slide as I believe Mike has been gone for longer than 1 year. Also FWIW a healthy OU team wins the title in '08 and this isn't anywhere near as much of a discussion as it is right now.(I know ifs and buts/candy and nuts blah blah) Nonetheless what I am saying about '08 is true.

    I think we have fundamental differences of opinion about where certain aspects of our team is in relation to the SEC teams that you mention so I do not see us agreeing on much when it comes to this conversation so I won't go a ton further but.....

    FWIW A&M beat 'Bama with a BigXII style team this season and w/o the typical aggie fade in the 2nd half the game wouldn't have been close. Obviously our style of play is different than what 'Bama and LSU puts out there and I do not see that changing anytime soon. However if we get a legit game changer at QB for instance(From multiple sources I hear Trevor Knight might just be that guy fwiw) then I think us reaching our goals might be closer than we all are currently imagining.

    Anyways I think as Mike's influence on the D increases we will see it become more opportunistic which can cover up for a number of deficiencies which will help as Mike continues to beef up the front 7 IMO. We are not as far as some think from being on top again.

  49. #149
    Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    As an analogy, winning a qualifying heat as a quarter horse against a bunch of mules doesn't necessarily mean you can run with thoroughbreds in the finals.
    we're the same mules that have beaten mud holes in that atm team for the last decade who by the way went 10-2 playing in your beloved sec. and congrats, your the first to **** about us making the final 4 even before playing the first game of next season.

    oh and by the way, its playoffs you idiot. you don't have to be the best team to win it all ... just the best team for two games, sincerely NY Giants.
    The following users like this post: CrimsonRez


  50. #150

    Re: OU's slow slide

    Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    we're the same mules that have beaten mud holes in that atm team for the last decade who by the way went 10-2 playing in your beloved sec. and congrats, your the first to **** about us making the final 4 even before playing the first game of next season.

    oh and by the way, its playoffs you idiot. you don't have to be the best team to win it all ... just the best team for two games, sincerely NY Giants.
    This...****ing this

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Similar Threads

  1. Slip 'n Slide Sling Shot
    By drspencer in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 20th, 2013, 09:20 AM
  2. Sooners Slide to 12/14 in Latest Polls.
    By Jenni 5 in forum Bob Barry's Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 28th, 2012, 07:50 PM