Do you guys think weed should be legal in this country?

Posted 689 day(s) ago 4529 Views 155 Replies
Results 1 to 50 of 156
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3
  1. #1

    Drugs Do you guys think weed should be legal in this country?

    I've long felt it would be inevitable and I personally don't have a problem with it. What about you?

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Irish_Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    16,741
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX

    No. However the sentences should be COMPLETELY overhauled for all drug crimes assuming the offense is non-violent. Someone even selling drugs should never spend more than 3 years in a Prison and that 3 yr sentence would be w/counseling and only after a number of selling offenses.

    I recently had this exact discussion with a buddy and came up with an elaborate system that I would incorporate if given the opportunity. As doing away with the "war on drugs" type of extreme punishments for non-violent users and even non-violent sellers is such an obvious thing that needs to be fixed in this Country as anytime a non-violent d-bag seller of some sort of drug should NEVER do more time in prison than a rapist or pedo-ass freakshow does.

    ****ing ****s(ie: the Government) that collects way too much revenue from the "War on Drugs" as it is currently setup that it will never change w/o a DRAMATIC reduction of Government on the whole.

    If I cannot sleep much longer I will out of boredom write up the "elaborate system" that we decided we would install if given the opportunity



    This isn't 'dome material yet IMO ... but it won't be long ... lol
    2 users like Irish_Sooner's post: ChpThril, Troker


  4. #4
    sooner68's Avatar
    Posts
    1,315
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North Carolina

    Someone please give me a legit reason why WEED should not be legal? I do agree that the penalties should be looked at because I'm willing to bet that 50% of all inmates are in for drug related offenses.

    And this has been argured a million times but why should weed be considered illegal but alcohol legal?

  5. #5

    Do you guys think weed should be legal in this country?

    Yep.
    The following users like this post: McRib


  6. #6
    Decriminalized for personal use.

  7. #7
    http://www.landthieves.com/board/sho...o-The-Drug-War

    You guys should watch this if you haven't. Really shows some great insight as to how the Drug War began, and how it hasn't worked. Also has some great examples shown of other countries dealing with their drug related issues in a much better way, and the results are amazing.

    If the U.S. would just allow marijuana to be legalized, it could do wonders for our economy. I think there should be some measures of control, much like cigarettes or alcohol, but Jesus its ridiculous that we are wasting so much money and resources on it.

  8. #8
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    21,247
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by ngintunr View Post
    Decriminalized for personal use.
    But this implies a need for dealers.

    The whole system should be legal: growing, distribution, selling, use
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: MoJoOkie, SpankyNek


  9. #9
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    21,247
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner View Post
    No.
    Why?

  10. #10
    no. I would lose a lot of my income.
    The following users like this post: Sieve


  11. #11
    legalized....
    but only farmers in oklahoma allowed to grow/sell it....
    The following users like this post: Troker


  12. #12
    All drugs should be legally sold, but ONLY by the federal government. The only way to stop drug addiction is making buying it like visiting the social security office.

  13. #13
    yes.

  14. #14
    MoJoOkie's Avatar
    Posts
    7,456
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Slaughters

    Yep. Need to get big government out of our lives.

    Phooooup, what was the question, man?

  15. #15
    Turk's Avatar
    Posts
    6,645
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    BFE,OK

    Re: Do you guys think weed should be legal in this country?

    Weed should be legal. Growing ...smoking...eating...whatever.

    It is a damn disgrace that you can't smoke some damn reefer without going to prison over it.

    There is absolutely NO reason weed should not be legal. None. None reasons. It's like a large amount of people believe the movie "Reefer Madness" is a factual documentary.

    Fvckin it live via tapatalk dos

  16. #16
    Yes and it should be regulated. If the government would take it over like they have tobacco, the windfall would be astronomical. They pay farmers to grow it, factories to clean, refine and package it, they tax it, sell it in stores just like alcohol or tobacco and watch the money roll in. Crime rate would go down over marijuana related activity, and law enforcement could spend more time getting rid of the "really bad" drugs like meth.

  17. #17
    Leave it to the States.

  18. #18
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,625
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    Weed should be legalized at the very least for medical use.

  19. #19
    on sunday...my pastor was wondering what's going on in this country.....
    legalizing weed and banning soft drinks

  20. #20
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    on sunday...my pastor was wondering what's going on in this country.....
    legalizing weed and banning soft drinks
    That ones easy...soft drinks are actually bad for you.

  21. #21
    metes's Avatar
    Posts
    3,741
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    I want it legal but I want big business to stay out of it. I don't want my weed to go the way of cigarettes and be choc full of chemicals.
    4 users like metes's post: boomersooner53, morrisja20, Sieve, Turk


  22. #22
    The only two things that I've heard positive about legalizing weed would be the end of a lot of drug trafficking and cartels being that weed is one of their chief businesses. The other is tax revenue. Possibility that the there would be so much revenue that it would bring our government debt and fiscal problems we currently have. The only problem with this idea is that the government would still spend the money into debt again and would not fix any of the issues that we currently have. Outside of those things I've got some issues about it's legalization that concern me.

    1. Being impaired and driving. As big of a problem that drunk and buzzed driving is I think that driving after smoking weed would be more wide spread. Don't know what the buzz to lit ratio is, but I would think that it would take less time to get impaired enough that you shouldn't drive vs drinking which would cause more problems.

    2. Cost and Taxes: With all the regulations and tax hikes that the government has and is bringing to the Tobacco industry they are likely to do the same to the weed market. Which will make the price very high create a market for bootlegger types to grow and sell their own weed. I know that's already a problem today, but it's something that I think would be a big problem going forward.

    3. Cancer and Health effects: I've never seen a study released that shows legitimate results on what smoking weed does to your body. I've had a lot of people who smoke it tell me that it is less toxic than Tobacco. Which I'm am totally sure that their opinion on the matter has no scientific data to back up their claim. I don't like the idea of legalizing something produces cancers and illnesses that Tobacco does.
    The following users like this post: FriarDan


  23. #23
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    on sunday...my pastor was wondering what's going on in this country.....
    legalizing weed and banning soft drinks
    I would be ok with the ban of energy drinks. Too many studies show that they create heart and kidney problems from their use.
    The following users like this post: morrisja20


  24. #24
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,898
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    As long as alcohol is legal and you can drive in practically anywhere, get drunk, then drive away- there's no philosophical, ethical, or logical argument against weed, IMO.
    3 users like OUMallen's post: Bk2X, morrisja20, soonerbornsoonerbrett


  25. #25
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    There is absolutely no reasonable argument for allowing public opinion (or government by extension) to prohibit ingestion.

    It is a liberty issue.

    There are a thousand things you can purchase at Home Depot that would ****ing kill you if you drank them, but weed is the illegal substance?

  26. #26
    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    That ones easy...soft drinks are actually bad for you.
    it may be bad for you....but it isn't bad for me

  27. #27
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    it may be bad for you....but it isn't bad for me
    If your kidneys could talk...

    (I am not anti soft drink btw...just being contrarian to prove a point)

    Your argument is the same one that should be common sense for heroin as well...are you taking that stance?

  28. #28
    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    If your kidneys could talk...

    (I am not anti soft drink btw...just being contrarian to prove a point)

    Your argument is the same one that should be common sense for heroin as well...are you taking that stance?
    why is it the same?

  29. #29
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    It is difficult to explain in an atmosphere that demonizes substances, but the facts are that, in moderation, there are no physical detriments to heroin use. Most issues arise from the black market nature of purchasing it and the poor delivery methods that result from doing it "in the shadows."

    If someone was in pain, it would be good for them, but, perhaps, not good for you.

  30. #30
    Aurora's Avatar
    Posts
    31,693
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Dark Side

    yes

  31. #31
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    21,247
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    legalized....
    but only farmers in oklahoma allowed to grow/sell it....
    That didn't work out too well for the Oklahoma g**** growers and vintners. Last I heard they are having trouble getting their wines sold in liquor stores and restaurants in this state.
    The following users like this post: Aurora


  32. #32
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    21,247
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    Yes and it should be regulated. If the government would take it over like they have tobacco, the windfall would be astronomical. They pay farmers to grow it, factories to clean, refine and package it, they tax it, sell it in stores just like alcohol or tobacco and watch the money roll in. Crime rate would go down over marijuana related activity, and law enforcement could spend more time getting rid of the "really bad" drugs like meth.
    Job creation and more tax revenue without increasing taxes. Republicans should be all for it, right?

  33. #33
    As I've said in other threads about this, I'm a bit concerned as to whether use might skyrocket and then us taxpayers will be on the hook in the form of drug treatment. I just can't believe people actually get worked up about something like this and then justify that stance by saying, "alcohol and tobacco are legal..." like they don't have bad consequences. It's not as simple as many seem to think and the savings wouldn't be as great as many believe in our "screw your life up and the government will take care of you system".

    Plus, I've never met many smart pot heads.

    With that said, I'm not totally against it.

  34. #34
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,898
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    That didn't work out too well for the Oklahoma g**** growers and vintners. Last I heard they are having trouble getting their wines sold in liquor stores and restaurants in this state.
    That's because Okie wine is God-awful! I've yet to have a decent one.

  35. #35
    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    It is difficult to explain in an atmosphere that demonizes substances, but the facts are that, in moderation, there are no physical detriments to heroin use. Most issues arise from the black market nature of purchasing it and the poor delivery methods that result from doing it "in the shadows."

    If someone was in pain, it would be good for them, but, perhaps, not good for you.
    ok....
    let's waste time discussing fantasy...

  36. #36
    Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    That's because Okie wine is God-awful! I've yet to have a decent one.
    when i drink wine....it's okie wine...

  37. #37
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    ok....
    let's waste time discussing fantasy...
    You mean the world where soft drinks are nutritious?

  38. #38
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    That didn't work out too well for the Oklahoma g**** growers and vintners. Last I heard they are having trouble getting their wines sold in liquor stores and restaurants in this state.
    i think you misunderstood the premise....
    if it is ONLY grown/sold by okie farmers.......i think it would work quite well

  39. #39
    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    You mean the world where soft drinks are nutritious?
    yes......the world where soft drinks = heroin

  40. #40
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    yes......the world where soft drinks = heroin
    I never said they are =

    I said that your supporting argument was = to the one for heroin

  41. #41
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Job creation and more tax revenue without increasing taxes. Republicans should be all for it, right?
    You'd think, wouldn't you. But their obsession with pandering to the religious right will always get in the way.

  42. #42
    Aurora's Avatar
    Posts
    31,693
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Dark Side

    Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
    As I've said in other threads about this, I'm a bit concerned as to whether use might skyrocket and then us taxpayers will be on the hook in the form of drug treatment. I just can't believe people actually get worked up about something like this and then justify that stance by saying, "alcohol and tobacco are legal..." like they don't have bad consequences. It's not as simple as many seem to think and the savings wouldn't be as great as many believe in our "screw your life up and the government will take care of you system".

    Plus, I've never met many smart pot heads.


    With that said, I'm not totally against it.
    I have met plenty of smart pot heads, my brother being one...however the problem is not intelligence but rather motivation.

  43. #43
    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    I never said they are =

    I said that your supporting argument was = to the one for heroin
    but it isn't

  44. #44
    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I have met plenty of smart pot heads, my brother being one...however the problem is not intelligence but rather motivation.

    My thought exactly. I've seen alcohol crush more lives and dreams than marijuana by a large margin.
    2 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: Aurora, URNotserious


  45. #45
    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I have met plenty of smart pot heads, my brother being one...however the problem is not intelligence but rather motivation.
    I know plenty of intellegent and motivated people who smoke pot. I also know plenty of unintellegent and unmotivated people who drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, etc. Intellegence and motivation have more to do with the individual's personality, not what they decide to do recreationally.

  46. #46
    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I have met plenty of smart pot heads, my brother being one...however the problem is not intelligence but rather motivation.
    Okay? I haven't met many at all. BTW, I'm not referring to the casual user.

  47. #47
    Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    My thought exactly. I've seen alcohol crush more lives and dreams than marijuana by a large margin.
    Perhaps because it's more readily available? That would change with legalization.

  48. #48
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    but it isn't
    Yes it is.

  49. #49
    Aurora's Avatar
    Posts
    31,693
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Dark Side

    Originally Posted by sooner28 View Post
    I know plenty of intellegent and motivated people who smoke pot. I also know plenty of unintellegent and unmotivated people who drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, etc. Intellegence and motivation have more to do with the individual's personality, not what they decide to do recreationally.
    true, in many ways.

  50. #50
    Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    My thought exactly. I've seen alcohol crush more lives and dreams than marijuana by a large margin.
    Originally Posted by sooner28 View Post
    I know plenty of intellegent and motivated people who smoke pot. I also know plenty of unintellegent and unmotivated people who drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, etc. Intellegence and motivation have more to do with the individual's personality, not what they decide to do recreationally.
    Again, using alcohol and tobacco use as support for this is counterproductive
    The following users like this post: FriarDan


Similar Threads

  1. Recommendations for a weed eater?
    By SoonerSean03 in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: September 26th, 2013, 09:15 PM
  2. Weed Killer or Killer Weed?
    By SECsooner in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 4th, 2013, 09:41 AM
  3. Smoking the Weed Can't Be All Bad
    By Aurora in forum ThunderDome
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 31st, 2012, 09:54 PM