Do you guys think weed should be legal in this country?

Posted 680 day(s) ago by greensooner4517 Views 155 Replies
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

With giant farms growing, the price wouldn't be near what it costs now. Black market would not have a chance. Why don't people grow tobacco and sell it to beat out the taxs? The gov. could still tax the piss out of it, and there would be no black market for it. You would have people growing their own, but the big boys in Mexico couldn't hang with leagalized prices. They would move to the hard stuff.

Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    After the season. But I wont be here.
    wait, explain yourself

you'll serve your ban after the season is over but won't come back to own up on the rest of the bet?

All drugs should be decriminalized.
    The following users like this post: LetsgoSooners82

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...lize-marijuana

Former President Jimmy Carter says yes

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Guys, I'm going to go ahead and shut the whole board down and prepare for 12/21...I agree totally with 87
    Me too.

Originally Posted by CaptainTuttle View Post
    No. Drug use and abuse of any form (alcohol, weed, Rx drugs, streets drugs, synthetic drugs) are destroying individuals and families though out this great nation. Many started on this path smoking weed with their friends when they were teens. Disagree all you want but it IS an unhealthy, mind-altering gateway drug. We should be doing more to keep people OFF of drugs rathering than legalizing them and sending a message to our youth that drug use is "no big deal". We need to promote positive, healthy choices.
    Using your logic, all fast food should be banned. What is more unhealthy than a Double Quarterpounder with cheese?

The issues for me are liberty and hypocrisy in the law. Alcohol, tobacco and Quarterpounders are legal because production is controlled by huge corporations that have a lot of political influence. Weed is not legal because hemp is a competitive threat to the paper and petroleum byproducts industries.

If I'm allowed to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and eat Quarterpounders, why can't I smoke a joint? They are all equally unhealthy, but if I want to live an unhealthy lifestyle that should not be your concern as long as you aren't having to pay my medical bills. But we are all already paying the medical bills of people who eat too much fatty food.

"I can go to Home Depot and buy hundreds of products that can kill me if ingested... but marijuana is the dangerous substance."
    -Some guy on the breaking the taboo video

Its just stupid. If people who think it is a gateway drug or whatever will look at the facts and watch what has happened in other places where it has been decriminalized, then they will see the results and the positives of this movement. People have their opinions formed and are afraid that it will open a pandora's box. Just look at the current cigarette market as an example. How many young people are smoking cigarettes now that the ads are actually relevant and show real examples of what the product does?
    We live in the greatest, most stubborn and paranoid nation in the world. It filters down from our government to our citizens. This should not be such a difficult debate.
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

Moved to the Dome

Do you guys think weed should be legal in this country?

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    "I can go to Home Depot and buy hundreds of products that can kill me if ingested... but marijuana is the dangerous substance."
    -Some guy on the breaking the taboo video

Its just stupid. If people who think it is a gateway drug or whatever will look at the facts and watch what has happened in other places where it has been decriminalized, then they will see the results and the positives of this movement. People have their opinions formed and are afraid that it will open a pandora's box. Just look at the current cigarette market as an example. How many young people are smoking cigarettes now that the ads are actually relevant and show real examples of what the product does?
    We live in the greatest, most stubborn and paranoid nation in the world. It filters down from our government to our citizens. This should not be such a difficult debate.
    There is very little info out about what marijuana really does thorough. Most of the propaganda says it's natural, harmless and free of side effects. It's also funny that while there's a push to legalize it there's at the same time a push to make cigarettes illegal. It's weird to me that we are living in a world where there is a substantial push for the legalization of marijuana while at the same time any soda larger than 16 oz is illegal in NYC.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    There is very little info out about what marijuana really does thorough. Most of the propaganda says it's natural, harmless and free of side effects. It's also funny that while there's a push to legalize it there's at the same time a push to make cigarettes illegal. It's weird to me that we are living in a world where there is a substantial push for the legalization of marijuana while at the same time any soda larger than 16 oz is illegal in NYC.
    maybe you should be a baptist......
    http://www.landthieves.com/board/sho...l=1#post988566

I see what you're saying, but people are people. What would making cigarettes illegal do? Only cause black market illegal operations and selling of cigarettes at a much higher price with crime and punishment involved. Look at what good prohibition of alcohol did. As for NYC, they can make a law to not sell 16+oz. of soda, but you can still buy a cup and pour yourself a big gulp. It should be a personal decision whether or not to eat, drink, smoke, etc. I understand prosecution of people intending to sell, or illegal operations. As for the facts, marijuana is known to make you hungry, maybe a bit lazy, etc. So have an ad that says, marijuana does all these things, and its probably not good for your lungs, etc. but you know, its your decision. Because you're a human being in a free country, and you get to decide things like this.
    I like chocolate. Its delicious. I don't sit around and eat a shitload of it all day long because it will make me fat and sick.
    I like weed. Its delicious. I don't sit around and smoke it all day because I have shit to do and it will prohibit me from doing things I need to do.
    18 and older, like cigarettes, with restrictions on distribution and no promotional advertisements.

All for pot being legal and treated the same way as alcohol.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

I suppose that would fall under the regulation of marijuana. Just like alcohol isn't allowed on campuses. There are designated smoking areas for cigarettes.
    A University, just like a business, should have the right to make that decision to keep it off their campus. Just like guns.

Speaking of guns, doesn't it seem a bit fubar that you can openly carry a firearm now, but carrying a joint is illegal? Just a thought.

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    in related news....
    so do you think God believes marijuana should be illegal? he's the one that created it right? surely he doesn't want to do harm to his people

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    As for the facts, marijuana is known to make you hungry, maybe a bit lazy, etc.
    It does more than this. That's what I was referencing. There's a lot of misinfo on it's actual long term effects. I'm not even arguing if it should be a personal choice or not. That's unimportant when discussing that there is misinformation about the substance's effects on people that have prolonged use.

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    so do you think God believes marijuana should be illegal? he's the one that created it right? surely he doesn't want to do harm to his people
    did man do harm to himself by "creating" the automobile?
    we all have a choice...

It does more than this. That's what I was referencing. There's a lot of misinfo on it's actual long term effects. I'm not even arguing if it should be a personal choice or not. That's unimportant when discussing that there is misinformation about the substance's effects on people that have prolonged use.
    That's what I'm saying.
    If it's important to you, then look it up and make an informed decision. Make informational, helpful commercials that say what it does to you. Just like cigarettes. Just like alcohol. Just like food that is bad for you. Just like sodas. If it is harmful, then they should know. But they should have the right to make the decision.

did man do harm to himself by "creating" the automobile?
    we all have a choice...
    so God didn't make the automobile and man did just like God didn't make these laws against marijuana but man did?

kinda what I'm gathering the argument should be with you

so God didn't make the automobile and man did just like God didn't make these laws against marijuana but man did?

kinda what I'm gathering the argument should be with you
    you're going to have to communicate a bit more coherently

you're going to have to communicate a bit more coherently
    God didn't make these laws against marijuana...man did...so why would you adhere to them so strictly

God didn't make these laws against marijuana...man did...so why would you adhere to them so strictly
    the bible tells us it is God's will that we obey man's laws...

the bible tells us it is God's will that we obey man's laws...
    and if it becomes legal will you still feel the same as you do now?

and if it becomes legal will you still feel the same as you do now?
    of course...
    but let me explain how i feel now...
    i don't use pot....i have no desire to use pot...legal or not...it won't change ....it doesn't effect me...
    i think the vast majority are better off if they didn't use pot......
    similar to how i feel about prostitution......gambling...etc
    but you can't really legislate morality effectively....

we know cigarettes kill people and we don't ban them....
    we know alcohol kills people but we don't ban it...
    put drugs in the same category.....and revamp the laws/sentences....and go on down the road...

another law i would support is one that allows people to shoot/kill drug abusers...who are harming others..... anytime.....anywhere

of course...
    but let me explain how i feel now...
    i don't use pot....i have no desire to use pot...legal or not...it won't change ....it doesn't effect me...
    i think the vast majority are better off if they didn't use pot......
    similar to how i feel about prostitution......gambling...etc
    but you can't really legislate morality effectively....

we know cigarettes kill people and we don't ban them....
    we know alcohol kills people but we don't ban it...
    put drugs in the same category.....and revamp the laws/sentences....and go on down the road...

another law i would support is one that allows people to shoot/kill drug abusers...who are harming others..... anytime.....anywhere
    I can agree with pretty much all of that minus the killing of them, I'm not up for murder unless there are no other alternatives such as a life is in imminent danger. I used to do pot when I was younger but have no desire to ever do it again. Whether its legal or not won't affect my decision to ever do it in the future.

Ethics and moral decisions can't be controlled, the best chance you have with people is to be informative and give them the tools necessary to make the best decisions and hope that they actually make the best decision. I believe that our kids need to be informed of the effects drugs/alcohol have on people. Just like we are doing with alcohol, do the same with marijuana.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

Those saying that marijuana was easier to get a hold of or was more prevalent than alcohol in High School did not go to my HS and odds are were not at many parties during HS as alcohol was about 50x more prevalent and more common than marijuana at all of the parties that I went to or heard about in HS. Of course I was not into the emo/goth/band/magic the gathering parties so maybe that is the issue IDK

Both are pretty damned easy for teens to get their hands on. Just all on who you know and who you hang out with. Some people are more into alcohol than pot at that age. It's probably easier to get drugs overall simply because you need either a fake ID or a person over 21 to get alcohol. You don't need either of those to get drugs.

Fact:
    It was never easier to score cocaine/acid/pot than when I was in high school.
    The following users like this post: beelzeBob

wait, explain yourself

you'll serve your ban after the season is over but won't come back to own up on the rest of the bet?
    No Ill change my avatar, I just wont be posting much.

Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner View Post
    Those saying that marijuana was easier to get a hold of or was more prevalent than alcohol in High School did not go to my HS and odds are were not at many parties during HS as alcohol was about 50x more prevalent and more common than marijuana at all of the parties that I went to or heard about in HS. Of course I was not into the emo/goth/band/magic the gathering parties so maybe that is the issue IDK
    well I graduated in 2001 from Kingfisher, a really small town NW of Edmond...weed was at every party I went to and there were a wide variety of people bringing it in every time...now most people just drank beer at these parties but there were a pretty sizable group of people who would toke up

No Ill change my avatar, I just wont be posting much.
    why won't you post much? what's this retiring shit?

I went to Norman High 86-90. The LSD flowed like a river.

why won't you post much? what's this retiring shit?
    I was here for a reason, and my assignment has been changed. Long story. But I have really made the mods and Nuked not like me and they would like me gone.

I was here for a reason, and my assignment has been changed. Long story. But I have really made the mods and Nuked not like me and they would like me gone.
    PM me, I'd like to hear this

This thread makes me to take a bong hit and listen to pink floyd.

PM me, I'd like to hear this
    Did

Since your break from posting took place shortly after our last conversation in chat, I have to assume you are directing that post (at least in part) towards me.

I was honest with you and told you what I think of the little act you pull on the board, your wishy washy excuses that it's all innocent, and that you only want good conversation. I called you on the blatant bullshit you have said to me directly. And, yes, when you suggested it might be time for you to leave the board, I agreed.

I feel like this is an attempt to stir up more drama by suggesting that the mods are trying to run you off, more of your games. You know, like the time you requested a break from the board and then tweeted you'd been banned?
    The following users like this post: usaosooner

Most of the propaganda says it's natural, harmless and free of side effects.
    You mean science?

Propaganda is what the US Government tagged the substance with back in the 30s, 40s and 50s due directly to racism. It makes you "go crazy" and allows "black men to touch white girls".

We don't know anything about prolonged use because it is illegal to test a class 1 substance

Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    You mean science?

Propaganda is what the US Government tagged the substance with back in the 30s, 40s and 50s due directly to racism. It makes you "go crazy" and allows "black men to touch white girls". Go do a little research
    Also becuase the Oil Industry did not want compitition for Petrolium By-Products.

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossom View Post
    Since your break from posting took place shortly after our last conversation in chat, I have to assume you are directing that post (at least in part) towards me.

I was honest with you and told you what I think of the little act you pull on the board, your wishy washy excuses that it's all innocent, and that you only want good conversation. I called you on the blatant bullshit you have said to me directly. And, yes, when you suggested it might be time for you to leave the board, I agreed.

I feel like this is an attempt to stir up more drama by suggesting that the mods are trying to run you off, more of your games. You know, like the time you requested a break from the board and then tweeted you'd been banned?
    I had been banned ma'am. Because I asked to be. I didnt bring attention to it, others did. And I dont blame you for thinking I should leave, you make a great point. But I dont talk about my life, everyone else does. I just talk and some hate it. I dont think I add any value to this place and in certainly adds minimal value to my life.

. I just talk and some hate it. I dont think I add any value to this place

Truer words have never been spoken.

Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    . I just talk and some hate it. I dont think I add any value to this place

Truer words have never been spoken.
    I dont lie to you guys. I lie to girls.

you guys could take this to pm

I dont lie to you guys. I lie to girls.
    Ok, you got me there. I do the same.
    The following users like this post: oudavid1

Smoke a doob, david. You'd be a lot cooler if you did

The following users like this post: jdmt37

Last edited by OrangeBlossom; December 13th, 2012 at 01:11 AM.

Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Smoke a doob, david. You'd be a lot cooler if you did

If you join me.

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossom View Post

Really? Is this even worth the time it took you to type it? Don't know why you even deal with it. The old expression about shit on the bottom of your shoe comes to mind.

A decent thread hijacked by inevitable message board drama

sigh

Be glad. It usually takes less then five pages.

If you join me.
    We aren't there in our relationship. Sorry, david.
    The following users like this post: oudavid1