ESPN President tells network to cool it on Tebowmania

Posted 618 day(s) ago 1728 Views 21 Replies

NFL ESPN President tells network to cool it on Tebowmania

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-...obsession.html

"I said, 'Guys, we didn't handle this very well.' Going to training camp wasn't a problem. We just stayed on it relentlessly and too long."
    "The quote that I hated was from Doug Gottlieb. ... I didn't love that. I want people to think about what works for the next 10 minutes might not be the best thing for us for three years. That one hit home with me."
    "We've had some good discussions internally about trying to be careful. In some ways, the more difficult internal conflict is between long-term story telling and ratings. We all know that if you focus on the Tebow story, for the next 10 minutes you're going to do better. But the question is trying to take a long-term perspective and saying, 'Guys, let's not get over excited about one story and hyping it.'"
    The Gottlieb quote he was talking about
    @awfulannouncing Doug Gottlieb on his time at ESPN: "I was told specifically, you can't talk enough Tebow."

No one that leaves ESPN ever has good things to say about it.

Tebow-mania, SEC-mania, etc., have gotten me to ONLY watch ESPN when there's a game on that I want to watch. I avoid Sports Center, all their other shows, etc., like the plague.

The SEC butters their bread. They cannot be unbiased.

It only took him 8 years to tell them to cool down on Tebow? Amazing.
    4 users like oudidntknow84's post: freedombird, IndySooner, jmizzy4ou, Sooners2007

Originally Posted by oudidntknow84 View Post
    It only took him 8 years to tell them to cool down on Tebow? Amazing.
    It took former employees speaking out on it. It's not like he's doing it out of the goodness of his heart.
    4 users like IndySooner's post: freedombird, jmizzy4ou, OnlyOne, Sooner2012

Anybody that doesn’t think ESPN plays favorites and promote certain players and teams over others just doesn’t understand the reality of the situation.
    2 users like OU48A's post: Hermit, soonirvana

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Anybody that doesn’t think ESPN plays favorites and promote certain players and teams over others just doesn’t understand the reality of the situation.
    How many times did we have to listen last night during Monday night football about New England and their amazing all SEC linebackers. Only heard Gruden say it like 8 times.
    2 users like williemayshayes's post: freedombird, StatGeek

aside from actual games, and College Gameday a couple times a year, I rarely watch ESPN anymore. I think theyre losing viewers due to this crapola theyre putting on the air.
    The following users like this post: AcousticSoup

This weekend they go through the active/inactive list for the games. The list are all starters/impact players(Suggs, Cutler, etc). The last one mentioned was Tebow .

Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    aside from actual games, and College Gameday a couple times a year, I rarely watch ESPN anymore. I think theyre losing viewers due to this crapola theyre putting on the air.
    I make a conscientious effort to avoid anything ESPN. I know I'm just a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things but, I hope I become one of millions of rain drops.
    4 users like OUrage's post: BajaOklahoma, Cthulhu, freedombird, OUCarlton

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    No one that leaves ESPN ever has good things to say about it.

Tebow-mania, SEC-mania, etc., have gotten me to ONLY watch ESPN when there's a game on that I want to watch. I avoid Sports Center, all their other shows, etc., like the plague.

The SEC butters their bread. They cannot be unbiased.
    CBS is the SEC flagship station. Has been for a while.

Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    ESPN and the SEC signed a 2.25 billion dollar/ 15 year deal in 2008
    2 users like Dexa's post: BajaOklahoma, IndySooner

ESPN and the constant mouth humping of the SEC is horrible but they seriously all have some fan boy addiction to Tim Tebow and lately RGIII ...Also if Texas A&M stayed in the big twelve they would have never spent so much time promoting little johnny football for the Heisman
    2 users like Aurora's post: jmizzy4ou, SoonerBeerSnob

Wish he would fire Brent Musberger and let Brad Nessler do the NC game.

I like their NBA coverage, for the most part. They dote on the Heat , Knicks, Lakers, and Celtics ...........but hey, bills have to be paid and those teams have huge bandwagons.

But their coverage of CFB is the epitome of everythng that is wrong with the sport.
    2 users like Hermit's post: Julz, OU48A

Just wait until ESPN hires him... it'll happen.. book it.
    The following users like this post: eyeballjr

Back in the day I used to go to sleep watching Sportscenter. It was required viewing. Now, the only time I watch that station is if there is a game on that I'm interested in. And it's on mute.
    2 users like mexican/ninja's post: ouwasp, suncoastsooner

Whoever put that Heisman show together should be embarrassed and then fired. I had the sound off and it was unwatchable. They had two ****s, ND and the SEC, in their mouth the whole time.

Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    You couldn't tell from their coverage.

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    Back in the day I used to go to sleep watching Sportscenter. It was required viewing. Now, the only time I watch that station is if there is a game on that I'm interested in. And it's on mute.
    I can't stand how they'll have ten minutes on something, do a couple other stories, and then go back to the origianl coverage like they never had even talked about it. I can't even watch gameday. I'll watch an occasional game but always have the mute button handy.

At least they're not showing 'Ancient Aliens' yet.

2 users like 85sooners's post: Julz, Sooner2012

Originally Posted by williemayshayes View Post
    How many times did we have to listen last night during Monday night football about New England and their amazing all SEC linebackers. Only heard Gruden say it like 8 times.
    But that's GRUDEN not ESPN, Gruden is Gruden, "THAT GUY" Gruden

also, my buddy said Cowherd mentioned on espn radio that you see SEC LB's making plays not Big 10.

that's not SEC Agenda

Originally Posted by Nuked View Post

ESPN pretty much died for me when they caved to NFL pressure and cancelled Playmakers. The 30 for 30 stuff is about all I'll watch on there other than games.