Holtz to La. Tech/Norvell isnt leaving 12/13

Posted 690 day(s) ago 16529 Views 308 Replies
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3

Offense Holtz to La. Tech/Norvell isnt leaving 12/13

3 users like El Jefe's post: BMR, Sooner 76, SoonerMinister

I honestly hope so. Even if Norvell is leaving and those rumors are true this will give us a chance to make an offensive change to go more towards a running game. I wouldn't mind if we got rid of Patton too. This zone blocking crap doesn't work.

mangino...bring your fatass and shit rag, you are wanted in title town.

Would be a good job for Josh. That all said, why everyone wants to run out a coach that leads a top-10 offense is crazy to me.

Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    By whom? I just don't think that's a good fit anymore. You think we run off OL now? What worked in 2000 won't work today, IMO.

I've thought he might be the next one to go. Makes sense to me for some reason.

To be fair, it was more of a shit towel then a shit rag.
    2 users like BleeOU1's post: BernieMadoff, BillyOcean

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Would be a good job for Josh. That all said, why everyone wants to run out a coach that leads a top-10 offense is crazy to me.
    I think it's the manner in which he's gotten to the top-10 offense. Stats are nice, but it's not built to win a title. Relying on your QB to play mistake-free football and throw 50 passes a game is a bad formula ... especially when you can't run the ball against top-10 teams.

I didn't see this argument that much went Mike Stoops was re-hired.

Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    By whom? I just don't think that's a good fit anymore. You think we run off OL now? What worked in 2000 won't work today, IMO.
    He took Kansas to the orange bowl like 4 years ago.

Originally Posted by BleeOU1 View Post
    It was actually 5 years ago now(2007) but since he got fired Kansas has won something like 1 conference game.

Originally Posted by BleeOU1 View Post
    1. We're not Kansas and we have different goals. 2. He got canned ... right or wrong. Not saying he's not a good coach. I just think we need some new blood and I don't think it's a good fit. Again, just my opinion.

If he is brought back, it sure does seem like Bob is trying to get the band back together. Hey, if it worked 12 years ago ... something I don't agree with.
    The following users like this post: huntinsooner

I think it's the manner in which he's gotten to the top-10 offense. Stats are nice, but it's not built to win a title. Relying on your QB to play mistake-free football and throw 50 passes a game is a bad formula ... especially when you can't run the ball against top-10 teams.
    People weren't happy with Long with one of the best offenses in the history of college football. People weren't happy with Wilson with some great offenses. Now people aren't happy with consistent top-10 offenses with Heupel. Had Leach and Mangino stuck around longer, people wouldn't have been happy with them, either (and in fact, I remember people not liking Mangino because he was too hard on linemen and ran them off).
    5 users like IndySooner's post: BernieMadoff, freedombird, MsProudSooner, OUMallen, SoonerMinister

The point is, if you can win at Kansas then you can ****ing win anywhere.

Re: Rumor: Josh Heupel Lead Candidate for La Tech Job

This would be a really good job for Josh. I'd hate to see him leave though.

If this happens I hope we give Norvell the OC job and hire a new OL and QB coach.

People weren't happy with Long with one of the best offenses in the history of college football. People weren't happy with Wilson with some great offenses. Now people aren't happy with consistent top-10 offenses with Heupel. Had Leach and Mangino stuck around longer, people wouldn't have been happy with them, either (and in fact, I remember people not liking Mangino because he was too hard on linemen and ran them off).
    mangino may have ran off his fair share of lineman, but whateever he had left, he coached the shite out of them. bring that burly **** back!
    3 users like BillyOcean's post: freedombird, opusrex, SoonerMinister

People who wanted Wilson gone are insane.

mangino may have ran off his fair share of lineman, but whateever he had left, he coached the shite out of them. bring that burly **** back!
    I agree.

mangino was the worst play caller of the bunch ... in 2000 josh changed the play at the line 75% of the time .... after 2001 he was going to lose his play calling and he was encouraged to take the kansas job ..

People who wanted Wilson gone are insane.
    I agree.

I think you could say the same about Patton this year. All the injuries and it turned out to be a pretty good OL. They couldn't run block very well, something Mangino would probably fix, but Patton did a good job coaching this year given the spaghetti knees flying everywhere.
    3 users like El Jefe's post: BernieMadoff, OU Pepperoni, Tazo

We should hire Bill Belichick as OC. Right? No one else is good enough.
    3 users like hOUrricane's post: IndySooner, OUMallen, pphilfran

whats the latest on Norvell?

I never wanted Mangino gone and would take him back in a heartbeat, but Long couldn't get out of here fast enough. He was pretty awful and his success rate since he left here bears that out.

Originally Posted by ben.woods1986 View Post

Could be meeting with La Tech soon.

I don't know if that would be a good step for Hype. La-Tech is a stepping stone job, but as the OC of OU better jobs will come available that he would be considered for in the next few years. Just depends on how fast he would like to be a HC.

Hire Chuck Long and make him QB coach, give Jay a ****ing raise and make him OC.
    The following users like this post: drspencer

Don't know, but I want to keep Norvell on as long as possible.
    5 users like drspencer's post: andymancan20, madillsoonerfan5353, Sooner 76, SoonerMinister, VRO405

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    I don't know if that would be a good step for Hype. La-Tech is a stepping stone job, but as the OC of OU better jobs will come available that he would be considered for in the next few years. Just depends on how fast he would like to be a HC.
    La Tech is a good job. It's much easier to win at a WAC school and establish yourself than a school like Purdue or Indiana.

If I'm Josh I take that job.

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    I wonder if schools like La Tech ask coaching candidates if they view that job as a stepping stone? I just can't see a school like that asking if the candidate expects to win a national championship there. Maybe the AD's of smaller schools are more realistic than to ask that kind of thing.

Bump Norvell up and bring in Mark Clayton to coach and recruit WR's tell Josh he can have Patton as a gift then Call the big man to coach OL, dump Kittle
    The following users like this post: brian

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    La Tech is a good job. It's much easier to win at a WAC school and establish yourself than a school like Purdue or Indiana.
    True, but it's still a stepping stone job. I know every coach believes that they can turn around any program and coach there for 20+ years or move on to a more highprofile school, but I would think that they are realistic enough to know that the shelf life of an HC is probably closer to 5 years. After that it's back to being a position coach or an OC somewhere. So why not wait until you can make more money at a higher profile program and maximize your earnings?

Originally Posted by soonerUthenMe View Post
    Bump Norvell up and bring in Mark Clayton to coach and recruit WR's tell Josh he can have Patton as a gift then Call the big man to coach OL, dump Kittle
    This would be ****ing awesome. I think Mark would make an excellent recievers coach and he would relate well to the players with his age.

Originally Posted by soonerUthenMe View Post
    I agree with everything but the Clayton part. No more rookie coaches please. Mark's ability to play receiver doesn't mean he can recruit and coach them.
    2 users like lobster999's post: madillsoonerfan5353, soonerbornsoonerbrett

Norvell was a pretty spare OC in the past. Not saying every situation is the same, but his track record is quite average in that regard.

If Norvell stays he will remain WR coach. Just also be the OC. So we'll have to find a QB coach.

as much as I liked having Norvell/Heupel at OU is anyone else really excited at the thought of re-vamping our offensive scheme if we have a brand new coordinator?? I think it would be a good thing.
    The following users like this post: Fahooglegods

Fire them all and pay every Alabama coach 5mil each to come here. Give the Bama GAs 2mil each. Give Saban ownership rights to the new stadium they build out by Bob's castle. Done.

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    I agree with everything but the Clayton part. No more rookie coaches please. Mark's ability to play receiver doesn't mean he can recruit and coach them.
    Bring him in as a GA like Derrick Strait and have him assist Jay.
    The following users like this post: drspencer

i think you guys are crazy the offense can't run the ball but we had injuries and we threw the ball great. if josh and jay leave and we bring in a offense that wants to just run the ball we will be like texas cant do either
    The following users like this post: MoJoOkie

is norvell a candidate somewhere?

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    I have heard OC at Arkansas and HC at La Tech

If Josh leaves, I'm positive the new Offensive Coordinator will be someone from this board.
    7 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: drspencer, freedombird, MoJoOkie, SleestakkSooner, Sooner Bob, SoonerMinister, thurman murman

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post

La Tech and Ark State, I believe.

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    La Tech and Ark State, I believe.
    So both of our OCs are candidates for the same jobs?

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    If Josh leaves, I'm positive the new Offensive Coordinator will be someone from this board.
    I nominate this guy.

Originally Posted by shad20 View Post
    i think you guys are crazy the offense can't run the ball but we had injuries and we threw the ball great. if josh and jay leave and we bring in a offense that wants to just run the ball we will be like texas cant do either