Holtz to La. Tech/Norvell isnt leaving 12/13

Posted 683 day(s) ago by El Jefe16509 Views 308 Replies
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5

Could Norvell be using this as leverage to allow him to call the offense this year.

is Josh in the running at Ark-State? Also is Norvell still in running for Arkansas OC?

Of all the coaches on the staff, Norvell is not the one we can afford to lose! Give him the house!
    6 users like VRO405's post: Balko, ChpThril, Jerseysooner, OU JJ, ousooner_4, Sooners2007

This may not bode well for the bowl game.

Originally Posted by ben.woods1986 View Post
    is Josh in the running at Ark-State? Also is Norvell still in running for Arkansas OC?
    No neither of them are in the running for Arkansas State (Dont want that job) and No Norvell wont be leaving to take a OC gig

Originally Posted by vrortiz405 View Post
    Of all the coaches on the staff, Norvell is not the one we can afford to lose! Give him the house!
    i disagree...
    there are plenty of coaches around the country that can and would do a great job here.....if norvell leaves...
    he's far from irreplaceable

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i disagree...
    there are plenty of coaches around the country that can and would do a great job here.....if norvell leaves...
    Oh of course there are plenty of coaches that would do well here, HOWEVER we have a head guy by the name if Stoops that will simply promote from within.
    The following users like this post: VRO405

Originally Posted by oudidntknow84 View Post
    No shit Sherlock. Almost as crazy as predicting the score of a game taking place 9 months from now?
    fify

Originally Posted by MoJoOkie View Post
    This may not bode well for the bowl game.
    With a 5th year QB it shouldn’t make much difference

Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    Oh of course there are plenty of coaches that would do well here, HOWEVER we have a head guy by the name if Stoops that will simply promote from within.
    Yep. Jason Foley, new Co OC at OU. Who is he?

Exactly.

If heupel and Novel leave, I say promote Kittle to OC

Wilson's problem as OC was after a while, he became to arrogant and thought he could call plays that wouldn't succeed.

One poster several years ago said eloquently, "Kevin Wilson calls plays for an offensive line he doesn't have." Case in point is the Florida game when he kept calling the run to the left side on short yardage, every time. Florida blew the play up every time.

Wilson brought Patton from NW. Bob signed off on it.

If Josh goes, then I'd like to see Chuck Long back as QB coach, with Jay calling the plays.

Mangino would be a disaster, given his reputation. Teams would be very successful negatively recruiting us.

lets get tressel, he's not doing anything.

Jay calling the plays
    Norvell has proven to be a fantastic recruiter. But his track record as a play caller ... eh ...
    The following users like this post: OnlyOne

Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    i have only had one major disagreement wrt stoops hiring (on offense)...
    he hired a proven oc in kevin wilson.....but instead....he promoted chuck long from qb coach....to oc......big mistake.....
    i think stoops prolly could have gotten someone more proven after wilson left...but the heupel move hasn't been an obvious mistake imo...
    the problem i have with some of these oc's......do they have a defined offensive philosophy and are they creative....
    leach and wilson were offensive geniuses......
    mangino/long.....just tried to fit what their predecessor did......
    it remains to be seen if heupel is creative/flexible enuf to adapt and stay ahead of the opponents/defenses

Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    fify
    Whats the difference between 9 months from now and a month from now?

Norvell has proven to be a fantastic recruiter. But his track record as a play caller ... eh ...
    i'm sure he's learned a thing or two in five years since his last play calling duties.

i disagree...
    Not saying that Norvell is irreplaceable, simply stating that there are other coaches that need to be replaced before Norvell.

Originally Posted by vrortiz405 View Post
    Not saying that Norvell is irreplaceable, simply stating that there are other coaches that need to be replaced before Norvell.
    you should email bob....

Are you serious?

Originally Posted by ben.woods1986 View Post
    as much as I liked having Norvell/Heupel at OU is anyone else really excited at the thought of re-vamping our offensive scheme if we have a brand new coordinator?? I think it would be a good thing.
    I'm tired of getting excited at re-vamping our offense with a new OC. We've had plenty of new OCs during Stoops' reign and we've seen basically the same offense from all of them. This is Bob Stoops' team and we will continue to see his offense, no matter who the OC is.

Are you serious?
    Yes I am. Im sure your going to tell me you can't predict the score of a game 9 months from now because of attrition. You could say the same thing about a game from a month from now. Anything can happen in a month.

Originally Posted by DarrellS011 View Post
    I'm tired of getting excited at re-vamping our offense with a new OC. We've had plenty of new OCs during Stoops' reign and we've seen basically the same offense from all of them. This is Bob Stoops' team and we will continue to see his offense, no matter who the OC is.

This offense has changed drastically over the 12 years ... it evolves, but it's there.

1999 (Leach): Full-on Air Raid/Spread
    2000-2001 (Mangino): Mostly Air Raid/Spread with more run game
    2002-2005 (Long): Much more multiple. More run-heavy in 2002 and 2004 (e.g. Griffin and AD). 2004 was tons of ace/on-back formations with AD.
    2006-2010 (Wilson): Multiple. Some spread mixed in, but our best area offense.
    2011-2012: Pistol/spread base.
    The following users like this post: Fahooglegods

Need to put his situations when he was an OC into perspective a bit. When he was at Nebraska, they were filtering out the option personnel from the Solich era & transitioning to the WCO. His last year there was his best (as you'd expect it to be due to said circumstances), & IIRC, Zach Taylor was Big 12 OPOY that season.

In his only season at UCLA as OC, they were down to their 4th string QB by the end of the season due to injuries. Nobody's going to be successful when they're handicapped like that.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    lets get tressel, he's not doing anything.
    Yeah, lets hire a walking, breathing, lying NCAA violation.

Rumor: Norvell Candidate for La Tech Job

8 months.

What do I win?
    6 users like SixBean's post: BernieMadoff, Colinreturn, Cthulhu, GRIDIRON, oudidntknow84, Sooner Bob

I'm sorry but this is a retarded post. Jay Norvell did better than Norm Chow at UCLA while he was there as OC.

And we all know what an offensive genious Norm is. Jay would be good in my opinion because he understand what a west coast offense can do. He isn't entirely spread oriented.

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    I'm sorry but this is a retarded post. Jay Norvell did better than Norm Chow at UCLA while he was there as OC.

And we all know what an offensive genious Norm is. Jay would be good in my opinion because he understand what a west coast offense can do. He isn't entirely spread oriented.

He has had limited success calling plays in his coaching career. Prove me wrong.

Im sure your going to tell me you can't predict the score of a game 9 months from now because of attrition.
    Well, and maybe a few other things. Like new coaches, offense, starters, incoming freshmen, JUCOs, and that all those things about the opposing team.

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    Yeah, lets hire a walking, breathing, lying NCAA violation.
    i was only kidding but if tressel was remotely interested in us .... HELL YES. one of the great football minds in our era and can recruit like a champ.

Well, and maybe a few other things. Like new coaches, offense, starters, incoming freshmen, JUCOs, and that all those things about the opposing team.
    You mean, like if Kingsberry took the TECH HC job and wasnt there for A&M for the Cotton Bowl? Or an AGGIE gets caught shoplifting and sent home before the Bowl game? Those kind of things?

You mean, like if Kingsberry took the TECH HC job and wasnt there for A&M for the Cotton Bowl? Or an AGGIE gets caught shoplifting and sent home before the Bowl game? Those kind of things?
    You are establishing that predicting a game that is a month away is difficult. How do you not understand that predicting an entire season of games that are 9-12 months away is even more difficult?
    The following users like this post: OUEverest

Isn't he rumored to be in the running for the Arkansas OC job as well?

You're fighting a losing battle on this. I think Bruno's point is that you have many more variables the further out you are. You don't even know who the QB for OU is next year.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    You are establishing that predicting a game that is a month away is difficult. How do you not understand that predicting an entire season of games that are 9-12 months away is even more difficult?
    This.

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    We run the ball 43% of the time. We have had a banged up oline that is awesome at pass protection. We have had our best running year since 2008. We have had our best scoring offense since 2008. We've had our best offensive yards per play since 2008. We are completing over 50% of third down conversions. If it wasn't for some bad ill timed turnovers, we could be playing for the national championship. Our O hasn't been a problem and neither has Josh.

But proceed to want to run Josh out of town just like you did with Kevin Wilson (not directed at you el jefe, but the entire board)

Our offense has been really good for how banged up we have been.
    The reason that we are not playing in the national championship game is because we only ran the ball 40.8% of the time. If we ran the ball over 50% like most teams, we would be playing for a national championship. You can blame Landry all you want (even though he only took a dozen sacks and only threw 10 INTs in 586 pass plays) but the losses to K-State and ND fall directly on Josh and his failure to establish a run game. We had less production from the run game this year than we had last year (we had 69 more carries last year when we hardly ran the ball at all. We had 178 more carries in 2010) and we haven't rushed for over 2000 yards since 2008 when we had almost 3000 yards. No wonder Landry Jones has caught so much flack the last two years. He's had zero run support.

Until we get an OC that will run the ball 60% of the time, we'll continue to lose to quality football teams and fail to win (or even play for) another championship.

Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    You're fighting a losing battle on this. I think Bruno's point is that you have many more variables the further out you are. You don't even know who the QB for OU is next year.
    I agree. I'm not predicting a score tho. That is much harder to do because of all the different combinations it could be. I am predicting a record. Not who we would lose too. Just a simple win loss record. Not how we would win or lose. Predicting a win or a loss is more sensible because there is only two choices. Predicting a score is more difficult with all the different types of scoring. If you guys still cant see the difference then there is nothing much more to say.

Originally Posted by lycao View Post
    In all fairness the team did score when it mattered against West Virgina and osu
    In all fairness, I said "championship quality teams"...of which WVU and OSU aren't even close.

Apologies if I missed sarcasm in your post.

It’s not the system, it’s the strength or weakness of the personnel that gives a team the ability to run the ball, or not.
    For OU to run the ball effectively against very good teams OU is going to need to recruit a better class of linemen.
    This^ will be necessary for OU to win national champions that and a much better defensive line and ML.
    The following users like this post: SoonerPT

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    So 5 YPC isn't good running the ball? Also consider that some of the runs are at the goal line or 3rd and short with bell where he just needs a yard or two
    Did you happen to notice where I said "championship quality teams? We averaged .6ypc against ND and 3.4 ypc against KSU....thats not good enough.

All the ****s I give about YPC vs Baylor, OSU and WVU could fit on the head of a needle.
    The following users like this post: URNotserious

Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    This offense has changed drastically over the 12 years ... it evolves, but it's there.

1999 (Leach): Full-on Air Raid/Spread
    2000-2001 (Mangino): Mostly Air Raid/Spread with more run game
    2002-2005 (Long): Much more multiple. More run-heavy in 2002 and 2004 (e.g. Griffin and AD). 2004 was tons of ace/on-back formations with AD.
    2006-2010 (Wilson): Multiple. Some spread mixed in, but our best area offense.
    2011-2012: Pistol/spread base.
    It's changed very little over the years. It's still the same spread attack, we just don't line the TB up 15 yards behind the LOS like we did with AD. Not much difference between the shotgun and the pistol except you need a dual threat QB if you're going to run the pistol. The only major differences now is that we've sped the game up more which has done nothing to wear the opponents defense down and score more points but has worn our own defense out and we've given up more points and we don't run the ball at all anymore. 400 carries ain't going to get it done. We still see the same bubble screens that worked in 2000 but haven't worked much since and the same run plays that go sideline to sideline. Defenses will gladly let us stretch them out sideline to sideline as long as we don't try to pound the middle and stretch them out down field. I guess it has changed drastically. We used to run offenses that competed for championships but now we don't.

Originally Posted by DarrellS011 View Post
    It's changed very little over the years. It's still the same spread attack, we just don't line the TB up 15 yards behind the LOS like we did with AD. Not much difference between the shotgun and the pistol except you need a dual threat QB if you're going to run the pistol. The only major differences now is that we've sped the game up more which has done nothing to wear the opponents defense down and score more points but has worn our own defense out and we've given up more points and we don't run the ball at all anymore. 400 carries ain't going to get it done. We still see the same bubble screens that worked in 2000 but haven't worked much since and the same run plays that go sideline to sideline. Defenses will gladly let us stretch them out sideline to sideline as long as we don't try to pound the middle and stretch them out down field. I guess it has changed drastically. We used to run offenses that competed for championships but now we don't.
    You said it hadn't changed under Stoops originally, but in this post you just agreed that with AD we had the TB lined up "15 yards" (exageration, but I get it) behind the LOS.

I did this a whilte back. Go back and watch some of the 2010 season. I was surprised to see how different it was compared to today. Then watch the BCS game against UConn with Heupel at the helm ... from the same season. The writing was on the wall.

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    Did you happen to notice where I said "championship quality teams? We averaged .6ypc against ND and 3.4 ypc against KSU....thats not good enough.

All the ****s I give about YPC vs Baylor, OSU and WVU could fit on the head of a needle.
    We averaged ~4.8 YPC against KSU. But sure, if you want to count the bad snap past landry go ahead or the fumbles
    And our RBs averaged 2.6 against ND. Again, not great but ND is a great defense.

try again

I want to know what any of this has to do with weed?

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    I honestly hope so. Even if Norvell is leaving and those rumors are true this will give us a chance to make an offensive change to go more towards a running game. I wouldn't mind if we got rid of Patton too. This zone blocking crap doesn't work.
    There never has been, and will never be, a chance to make an offensive game change toward a more running based ground game regardless of which assistants we lose. We've lost Chuck Long and Kevin Wilson, and now have Heupel, and there's been no change. Norvell has nothing to do with it either. The offensive identity comes not from assistants, but directly down from Bob Stoops himself, and nobody else.
    The following users like this post: DarrellS011

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    It’s not the system, it’s the strength or weakness of the personnel that gives a team the ability to run the ball, or not.
    For OU to run the ball effectively against very good teams OU is going to need to recruit a better class of linemen.
    This^ will be necessary for OU to win national champions that and a much better defensive line and ML.
    would you say we had a "better class of linemen".....and a "much better defensive line" in 2000 compared to 2012?

Giod

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    Hire Chuck Long and make him QB coach, give Jay a ****ing raise and make him OC.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jay have been around a long time, at the college and pro level.

He has had limited success calling plays in his coaching career. Prove me wrong.
    You're the one making the accusations that norvel can't coach as an offensive coordinator. I gave you an example of him doing better than norm chow at UCLA.

Prove my point wrong.

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    You're the one making the accusations that norvel can't coach as an offensive coordinator. I gave you an example of him doing better than norm chow at UCLA.

Prove my point wrong.
    Read. Learn to sooner than later.

I questioned his play calling ability. The offenses he has called plays for have been below average. All of them. I get the talent he had was probably questionable. But every OC we have had since Bob took over has put up better numbers calling plays than Norvell.

would you say we had a "better class of linemen".....and a "much better defensive line" in 2000 compared to 2012?
    What I would say to that is the 2000 group played harder, particularly the defensive line.
    The 2000 OL was also far more fortunate on the injury front.
    But regardless, we need to recruit better linemen on both sides of the ball.