Holtz to La. Tech/Norvell isnt leaving 12/13

Posted 718 day(s) ago by El Jefe16575 Views 308 Replies
Page 5 of 7 3 4 5 6 7

If you list this years OSU team you have to list Texas, Baylor, West Virginia, and Tech also. You could argue for almost all of those to be better than OSU(Tech you can't really win any argument)

Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    Other than the games you listed that OU lost, the following are good teams

2007 Mizzou
    2008 Texas Tech
    2008 OSU
    2009 OSU
    2010 OSU
    2010 FSU
    2011 FSU
    2012 OSU

Just off the top of my head
    Thats the best we've done in the last 6 years. 4 of the 8 teams you mention are Oklahoma ****ing State. And in the years you have listed they've gone 36-15 as in they've lost to 11 other teams besides us. Do you really consider that a good team? And 2012 OsU? Really? They arent even ranked as of now.

Save for FSU on that list, no team on there even comes close to OU in terms of talent, tradition or facilities. And FSU lost about 8 games in the 2 years they played OU proving mediocre at best. However, I am inclined to give Stoops and Co credit for game planning the shit out of Mizzou and TT. It still does not take away from the fact that they laid an egg against WVU, Boise, USC, LSU and Florida. The list you just posted would've doubled in credibility with just 2 of the 5 schools that I mentioned.

Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Well, can you hit the high points?
    No I'm saying I don't know what it says because it was $ info and I'm not a subscriber. Perhaps somebody else can.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    If you list this years OSU team you have to list Texas, Baylor, West Virginia, and Tech also. You could argue for almost all of those to be better than OSU(Tech you can't really win any argument)
    Exactly. What about UTEP? or Florida Atlantic from few years ago? Or Middle Tenn State because we did play them at night. Its kinda dark and all you know.

Hopefully we keep him.

He's a sharp dude....hope he'll wait another year. Keep getting his name out there and then snag a bigger and better spot.

It wouldn't hurt to open up the wallet a little bit either....

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by URNotserious View Post
    Exactly. What about UTEP? or Florida Atlantic from few years ago? Or Middle Tenn State because we did play them at night. Its kinda dark and all you know.
    you obviously don't know how to think critically

Thats the best we've done in the last 6 years. 4 of the 8 teams you mention are Oklahoma ****ing State. And in the years you have listed they've gone 36-15 as in they've lost to 11 other teams besides us. Do you really consider that a good team? And 2012 OsU? Really? They arent even ranked as of now.

Save for FSU on that list, no team on there even comes close to OU in terms of talent, tradition or facilities. And FSU lost about 8 games in the 2 years they played OU proving mediocre at best. However, I am inclined to give Stoops and Co credit for game planning the shit out of Mizzou and TT. It still does not take away from the fact that they laid an egg against WVU, Boise, USC, LSU and Florida. The list you just posted would've doubled in credibility with just 2 of the 5 schools that I mentioned.
    The fact is OSU has been good lately. I know you don't want to admit it, but it's true.

The fact is OSU has been good lately. I know you don't want to admit it, but it's true.
    They've had one good year in 2011. We lost that year. Besides that we've only beaten them when OsU has been OsU.

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    you obviously don't know how to think critically
    And you do? What with your WVU argument? You should stick to talking about who wins American Idol and leave football talk to men. I am yet to see you state your case.

This thread took a long detour. Any word on Norvell?

They've had one good year in 2011. We lost that year. Besides that we've only beaten them when OsU has been OsU.
    I'm done after this statement. It's obvious that our opinion of good is completely different. If it takes winning a conference and ending #3 in the country to be good, then you are right. Unfortunately that is a dream world. There are many good teams that don't reach that level. This Sooner team is a good team. They won't come close to the level of 2011 OSU.

Originally Posted by 2SBTM View Post
    This thread took a long detour. Any word on Norvell?
    Apologize for the thread hijack. It does get annoying.

They were pretty good in 03 when they had Tinker Bell and the triplets.

They were decent in 04 when they had they hoodlum from Tulsa Science and Technology who couldn't qualify at OU (or anywhere else)

They've been a pretty good team since 2008.

I'm done after this statement. It's obvious that our opinion of good is completely different. If it takes winning a conference and ending #3 in the country to be good, then you are right. Unfortunately that is a dream world. There are many good teams that don't reach that level. This Sooner team is a good team. They won't come close to the level of 2011 OSU.
    We obviously differ on what is a "good" team. A good team is someone like ND or Bama this year. Good teams but not far above the rest. A great team is someone like Miami of 2001, USC 2004, 2005 or Texas 2005 and so forth. I think the term "great" and superlatives in general are overused.

Because if we call OsU of 2012 good, then what is OU and other 5 teams that beat em? Great?

And ND and Bama of 2012?

And USC 2003 or Texas 2005?

SoonerBounce Guest

Rumor: Norvell Candidate for La Tech Job

And you do? What with your WVU argument? You should stick to talking about who wins American Idol and leave football talk to men. I am yet to see you state your case.
    Yes I do.

And I've already stated my case. It's just apparent we aren't going to agree so **** it

Didn't OSU have 11 wins in 2010? That seems like a pretty good year. I could have sworn they were playing for a shot at the Big XII title game that year.

So is still a Sooner or no? I don't wanna read through 5 pages of bull.
    The following users like this post: 2SBTM

SoonerBounce Guest

Rumor: Norvell Candidate for La Tech Job

We obviously differ on what is a "good" team. A good team is someone like ND or Bama this year. Good teams but not far above the rest. A great team is someone like Miami of 2001, USC 2004, 2005 or Texas 2005 and so forth. I think the term "great" and superlatives in general are overused.

Because if we call OsU of 2012 good, then what is OU and other 5 teams that beat em? Great?

And ND and Bama of 2012?

This is where u fail. Nd And bama at great teams

Originally Posted by madillsoonerfan5353 View Post
    So is still a Sooner or no? I don't wanna read through 5 pages of bull.
    Yes. You're welcome.
    The following users like this post: madillsoonerfan5353

And ND and Bama of 2012?

No doubt we differ. You are going back and looking at historically great teams as the only that qualify above good. I think you can say that there are great teams every year. Are they historically great? Maybe, maybe not.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Didn't OSU have 11 wins in 2010? That seems like a pretty good year. I could have sworn they were playing for a shot at the Big XII title game that year.
    They were playing for Big XII until they played OU and lost. Texas sucked that year with GG and went 5-7. TT went 3-5 in conference. Baylor was Baylor with a 4-4 conference record and A&M was average.

So with Texas(5-7), TT(3-5) and Baylor(7-6) being down all they had to do was beat A&M(which to their credit they did) until they ran into OU and lost. It was more that Texas and TT sucked rather than OsU being good which attributed to them playing OU to represent South in the Big XII title game.

This is where u fail. Nd And bama at great teams
    You know where you fail? For still not making your case about Stoops being able to beat teams that aren't conference peasants.

They were playing for Big XII until they played OU and lost. Texas sucked that year with GG and went 5-7. TT went 3-5 in conference. Baylor was Baylor with a 4-4 conference record and A&M was average.

So with Texas(5-7), TT(3-5) and Baylor(7-6) being down all they had to do was beat A&M(which to their credit they did) until they ran into OU and lost. It was more that Texas and TT sucked rather than OsU being good which attributed to them playing OU to represent South in the Big XII title game.
    So, your contention is that an 11 win OSU team that only lost to the two participants in the Big XII title game was not a good team?

No doubt we differ. You are going back and looking at historically great teams as the only that qualify above good. I think you can say that there are great teams every year. Are they historically great? Maybe, maybe not.
    I thought I stated my case pretty well but obviously I didn't. I watch games too so I know that Stoops has no problems in beating the TT, OsU, A&M, Mizzou, Nebbish or Texas consistently. Its only if you put him up against unknown quantities such as WVU, Boise or equal talent in USC, LSU or Florida does he screw the pooch.

Now he hasnt made that far since 2008, so he has been feasting on ass rapings subjected to other conference opponents but I dont think anyone can disagree that beating OOC power houses at their helm(bowl games and MNC) possess a certain appeal that he and his staff has lacked for a very long time.

Because you can schedule them on a given year but there is no guarantee that they're going to be good(Miami comes to mind) but when you meet them in a bowl game that validates that they've proven themselves over the season. And time and again, Stoops and Co have been found with their pants down against those teams.

SoonerBounce Guest
    You know where you fail? For still not making your case about Stoops being able to beat teams that aren't conference peasants.
    I don't know if you want me to go by big games or good teams? There is a distinct difference.

Texas 2012(big game)
    @WVU 2012(big game)
    OSU 2012(big game)
    @TCU 2012(big game b/c of conference championship/good team)

@FSU 2011 (both)
    Texas 2011 (big game)
    @KSU 2011 (both)
    Iowa 2011(big game)

FSU 2010 (both)
    Texas (big game)
    @ OSU (both)
    NU (both)
    UCONN (big game)

Stanford (2009)--(both)

Do I need to keep going?

So, your contention is that an 11 win OSU team that only lost to the two participants in the Big XII title game was not a good team?
    No that isnt my contention. This is a derivative of what was my contention which is that Stoops and Co havent beaten a good team as in with equal or more talent(see post # 207) in a long long time.

I don't know if you want me to go by big games or good teams? There is a distinct difference.

Texas 2012(big game)
    @WVU 2012(big game)
    OSU 2012(big game)
    @TCU 2012(big game b/c of conference championship/good team)

@FSU 2011 (both)
    Texas 2011 (big game)
    @KSU 2011 (both)
    Iowa 2011(big game)

FSU 2010 (both)
    Texas (big game)
    @ OSU (both)
    NU (both)
    UCONN (big game)

Stanford (2009)--(both)

Do I need to keep going?
    Yes because you have reading comprehension/memory issues. Besides that fact that half the games you listed arent big games, this is what we were discussing:

But going back to your original point, it actually wasn't big games you said we suck at, it was good teams
    Once a team loses 2 or more games, its not a good team.
    The following users like this post: soonerker

SoonerBounce Guest
    No that isnt my contention. This is a derivative of what was my contention which is that Stoops and Co havent beaten a good team as in with equal or more talent(see post # 207) in a long long time.
    you do realize a team can be good without have equal talent to OU right?

I'm confused. Are you saying that only teams with equal or greater talent than OU are considered "good" teams? You could argue quite easily that KSU did not have equal or greater talent than OU, this season, but they are a good, if not borderline great, team.

I think you need to frame your argument better.

This has turned into a Hall of Shame thread. Delete thread, ban users.

Understood. National Champion LSU in 2007 was not a good team. I am glad we have this sorted out.

SoonerBounce Guest
    Yes because you have reading comprehension/memory issues. Besides that fact that half the games you listed arent big games, this is what we were discussing:

oh bullshit. So we aren't a good team this year? We have lost to the #1 team in the country and the #5 in the country and we could have beaten both of them. Standford isn't a good team? Georgia? LSU? A&M? FSU?

So there IS or IS NOT a rumor that Norvell is being considered for the LaTech job? Too much shit in this thread

I thought I stated my case pretty well but obviously I didn't. I watch games too so I know that Stoops has no problems in beating the TT, OsU, A&M, Mizzou, Nebbish or Texas consistently. Its only if you put him up against unknown quantities such as WVU, Boise or equal talent in USC, LSU or Florida does he screw the pooch.

Now he hasnt made that far since 2008, so he has been feasting on ass rapings subjected to other conference opponents but I dont think anyone can disagree that beating OOC power houses at their helm(bowl games and MNC) possess a certain appeal that he and his staff has lacked for a very long time.

Because you can schedule them on a given year but there is no guarantee that they're going to be good(Miami comes to mind) but when you meet them in a bowl game that validates that they've proven themselves over the season. And time and again, Stoops and Co have been found with their pants down against those teams.
    And when that happens in back to back years (FSU 2010 & 2011) you find a way to dismiss those games too. I don't give a **** what happened after the game in Tallahassee last year. That was a big game against a good team on the road that was a W.

Originally Posted by lauderdaleOU View Post
    So there IS or IS NOT a rumor that Norvell is being considered for the LaTech job? Too much shit in this thread
    Yes there is a rumor

SoonerBounce Guest
    I guess OU in 2008 wasn't a good team either

If Bama loses to ND, then they are no longer a good team.

I'm confused. Are you saying that only teams with equal or greater talent than OU are considered "good" teams? You could argue quite easily that KSU did not have equal or greater talent than OU, this season, but they are a good, if not borderline great, team.

I think you need to frame your argument better.
    I already stated what teams I consider good and what teams I consider great. I think you need to go back and read that. Especially if you're confused.

If Bama loses to ND, then they are no longer a good team.
    Glad we agree.

Finally! See it wasnt that difficult was it bounce?

SoonerBounce Guest
    well i'm done

Dipshits
    3 users like 85sooners's post: lauderdaleOU, oudidntknow84, Vodnik

Understood. National Champion LSU in 2007 was not a good team. I am glad we have this sorted out.
    Absolutely and by same account, LSU 2007 = Louisville 2012 = Sam Houston State 2012 because they're all 2 loss teams. I am glad we have this sorted out as well.

Heup to La Tech and Norvell to Madison is the word?

Say hello to the Fat Man and Chucky as Co-Coords.

Care to guess how many National Champions weren't "good" teams?

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Care to guess how many National Champions weren't "good" teams?
    I am betting there are about 100 times as many teams that aren't good teams with 2 losses. So no, the point still stands. Besides, that statement was particularly in reference to a specific team(OsU) and not to be applied in general for all teams since the beginning of time.

This is what you said.

2 losses does not equal a bad team.

By your above definition, OU has only fielded 5 good teams in the last 33 years.

That's a preposterous definition of "good"

https://twitter.com/GuerinEmig/statu...98749504737280

Just spitballin here... Kingsbury takes Tech. Sumlin takes Norvell to replace Kingsbury. Recruiting. Doomsday. Machine. #Sooners #TAMU
    This is what I believe is going to happen.

I doubt Bob will let Norvell go to aTm. He'll match any offer the aggies come up with.