Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Originally Posted by Troker View Post
    They can't consent either.

sure they can.

vCash

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    why are such efforts being made to prove homosexuality is genetic?
    does it matter? why does anyone care what causes it?
    Real science isn't trying to PROVE anything. It's trying to answer the question. That's science's job
    4 users like Troker's post: BernieMadoff, brokebacksooner, oucub23, ultralance12

vCash

why are such efforts being made to prove homosexuality is genetic?
    does it matter? why does anyone care what causes it?
    b/c homosexuals are looked down upon for their choices and their rights are not equal to the rights that you and I have when it comes to our life's choices...by showing it is a genetic trait or predisposition then it will show they deserve fair and equal treatment as any other member of our functioning society should attain

we can get married, have children, take care of ours spouses in life and in death (now I believe you are married and do all these things currently) but gay couples in most states do not have these rights as their union is not recognized

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    sure they can.
    this isn't Stillwater, if you wanna **** sheep you chose the wrong school

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    It definitely matters as far as discrimination and equality laws are concerned.
    no it doesn't...
    does it matter WHY people are black?
    or WHY people are handicapped?

It definitely matters as far as discrimination and equality laws are concerned.
    Nope.

If sexuality is genetic, then we'll still discriminate against people with aberrant sexualities based on whatever reasons we conjure up including constructs such as "consent" or "decency" or "humaneness".

The slope is slippery both ways.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    b/c homosexuals are looked down upon for their choices and their rights are not equal to the rights that you and I have when it comes to our life's choices...by showing it is a genetic trait or predisposition then it will show they deserve fair and equal treatment as any other member of our functioning society should attain

we can get married, have children, take care of ours spouses in life and in death (now I believe you are married and do all these things currently) but gay couples in most states do not have these rights as their union is not recognized
    most states don't recognize civil unions?

vCash

no it doesn't...
    you don't have to prove that a black person was predisposed to be black or that a person is handicapped, the evidence is bright and clear as day

the point I'm trying to make with you is the same discrimination bullshit that we've been doing as a country for over 225+ years is still going on today...first it was blacks having rights, then the right to vote, then the right for women to vote and on to discrimination of gay people and the denial of their rights

no one asks why someone is black or why someone is handicapped in the manner you are discussing

vCash

no it doesn't...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_are_so...lack_and_white

http://www.disabilitycanhappen.org/c...ity/causes.asp

vCash

most states don't recognize civil unions?
    civil unions does not mean marriage, it is not recognized on nearly the same level...adopting children for gay people is a much harder and longer process than straight couples, most civil unions don't ensure benefits for other parties than the original beneficiary (the person taking out the insurance)

vCash

Scientists May Have Finally Unlocked Puzzle of Why People Are Gay

no it doesn't...
    You seriously cannot be for real.
    The following users like this post: brokebacksooner

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

civil unions does not mean marriage, it is not recognized on nearly the same level...adopting children for gay people is a much harder and longer process than straight couples, most civil unions don't ensure benefits for other parties than the original beneficiary (the person taking out the insurance)
    So what is different? What rights do married couples have over civil partners? Specifics.

Adopting is a long process for anyone. And I can understand being more critical of same sex parents simply because it's not natural

I'm pretty sure you can always designate a beneficiary. Last time I checked they don't ask for sexuality on forms

vCash

What's sad is that he is and he's not even trolling.
    2 users like brokebacksooner's post: Aurora, McRib

vCash

So what is different? What rights do married couples have over civil partners? Specifics.

Adopting is a long process for anyone. And I can understand being more critical of same sex parents simply because it's not natural

I'm pretty sure you can always designate a beneficiary. Last time I checked they don't ask for sexuality on forms
    Same sex couples adopt all the time, but in states like Oklahoma where statute reads you must be "married or single", only one of them is technically the adoptive parent (since by law here they are single). The other parent obtains guardianship through the court. Sorry to burst your myopic little bubble.
    2 users like McRib's post: Aurora, BernieMadoff

vCash

1) Marriages are respected state to state for all purposes, but questions remain about how civil unions will be treated in other states since very few states have civil unions.

2) If you are married, you can get divorced in any state in which you are a resident. But if states continue to disrespect civil unions, there is no way to end the relationship other than by establishing residency in a state that respects the civil union.

3) According to a 1997 GAO report, civil marriage brings with it at least 1,138 legal protections and responsibilities from the federal government, including the right to take leave from work to care for a family member, the right to sponsor a spouse for immigration purposes, and Social Security survivor benefits that can make a difference between old age in poverty and old age in security. Civil unions bring none of these critical legal protections.

4) Because the federal government does not respect civil unions, a couple with a civil union will be in a kind of limbo with regard to governmental functions performed by both state and federal governments, such as taxation, pension protections, provision of insurance for families, and means-tested programs like Medicaid. Even when states try to provide legal protections, they may be foreclosed from doing so in joint federal/state programs.

5) Every day, we fill out forms that ask us whether we are married or single. People joined in a civil union don’t fit into either category. People with civil unions should be able to identify themselves as a single family unit, but misrepresenting oneself on official documents can be considered fraud and carries potential serious criminal penalties.

6) Even if there were no substantive differences in the way the law treated marriages and civil unions, the fact that a civil union remains a separate status just for gay people represents real and powerful inequality. We’ve been down this road before in this country and should not kid ourselves that a separate institution just for gay people is a just solution here either. Our constitution requires legal equality for all. Including gay and lesbian couples within existing marriage laws is the fairest and simplest thing to do.

That's the main points of difference that I've read about

vCash

"There are 1,138 benefits, rights and protections provided on the basis of marital status in Federal law. [1] Because the Defense of Marriage Act defines "marriage" as only a legal union between one man and one woman, same-sex couples - even if legally married in their state - will not be considered spouses for purposes of federal law.

The following is a summary of several categories of federal laws contingent upon marital status."

http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/a...arried-couples

so it matters WHY people are gay....but not why they are black or handicapped?
    feel free to splain that one....

vCash

this isn't Stillwater, if you wanna **** sheep you chose the wrong school
    **** you. I went to school there, and never ****ed a sheep.

Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    **** you. I went to school there, and never ****ed a sheep.
    Do you mean without consent?
    The following users like this post: jdmt37

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerArtillery View Post
    Do you mean without consent?
    I got drunk as **** one night and i could swear theis cute little ewe was motioning me over, but i passed out.
    4 users like jdmt37's post: DHF, greensooner, SoonerArtillery, URNotserious

vCash

so it matters WHY people are gay....but not why they are black or handicapped?
    feel free to splain that one....
    Feel free to show me where I said that.

Recognition of the union would pass tomorrow. It's shoving that it has to be marriage that is drawing opposition. For many, it's not about the protections you're talking about--it's about sticking it to those marriage people.

vCash

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Recognition of the union would pass tomorrow. It's shoving that it has to be marriage that is drawing opposition. For many, it's not about the protections you're talking about--it's about sticking it to those marriage people.
    No it's not.
    3 users like brokebacksooner's post: Aurora, McRib, OnlyOneOklahoma

vCash

The following users like this post: McRib

vCash

The people you speak about are not people I care about. I think they deserve the same rights as all but they can take their schtick and shove it up their ass. I believe in equality, not trying to make things worse by sticking to anyone. I won't defend their actions on that but I want all people to have the same rights in whatever they do.

Like my friends' dad always says "I don't care if gay people get married, they should be as miserable as I if that's what they want to do"
    6 users like greensooner's post: brokebacksooner, DHF, jdmt37, McRib, oucub23, SpankyNek

vCash

I'd probably be bi if i were a woman. I mean who doesn't love hoots?
    2 users like jdmt37's post: McRib, Teo9969

Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Nope.

If sexuality is genetic, then we'll still discriminate against people with aberrant sexualities based on whatever reasons we conjure up including constructs such as "consent" or "decency" or "humaneness".

*cricket*

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    No it's not.
    Which? You don't think unions would pass? Do you have data that says it won't? I've talked to a lot of people while involved with campaigns and the vast majority of them would accept unions--they simply want to defend marriage. Granted, my information is limited in scope, but it is from rural Oklahomans who tend to be more staunchly opposed to gay marriage than many.

would you guys prefer the incest angle?
    how about the polygamist angle....
    or the philanderer angle...

Re: Scientists May Have Finally Unlocked Puzzle of Why People Are Gay

*cricket*
    "Won't someone think of the rapists?!?!?"
    -teo9969

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    "Won't someone think of the rapists?!?!?"
    -teo9969

Yep, that's what I said...except I didn't say that at all.

vCash

how about the polygamist angle....
    or the philanderer angle...
    If it's among consenting adults - Don't give a ****, and don't give a ****. None of that is any of my business.
    The following users like this post: greensooner

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    If it's among consenting adults - Don't give a ****, and don't give a ****. None of that is any of my business.
    what about a mentally disabled adult?

irrelevant to the point being discussed..
    add yourself to the list who missed it

Unless the polygamists want to have 18 kids that they can't take care of and want food stamps to help feed them all--then I care.

vCash

Unless the polygamists want to have 18 kids that they can't take care of and want food stamps to help feed them all--then I care.
    America, where moral virtue is determined by economics.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    America, where moral virtue is determined by economics.
    Nah, has nothing to do w/morals. I wouldn't object to it based on morals--it's strictly economic.

vCash

Nah, has nothing to do w/morals. I wouldn't object to it based on morals--it's strictly economic.
    Sorry Cub, I have been reading a lot lately about the Gross National Happiness metric that Bhutan uses to determine legislative activity, I am currently a bit jaded on the issue of legislating through an economic prism.

It will pass as I move on to the next topic for reading.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

vCash

what about a mentally disabled adult?
    you guys can't stand gay people so much this is your new reach, mentally disabled person. I clearly remember in the mentally disabled woman being forced to have an abortion you saying she can make her own choice. Lucky for her the court thought so too... Anyways shush

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    you guys can't stand gay people so much this is your new reach, mentally disabled person. I clearly remember in the mentally disabled woman being forced to have an abortion you saying she can make her own choice. Lucky for her the court thought so too... Anyways shush
    i've never said I have a problem with gay people

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    and I don't have a problem with them

vCash

i've never said I have a problem with gay people
    and I don't have a problem with them
    Good, so why worry about them getting married. =)

Also stop taking the crazy side of 87 it makes you look bad

vCash

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Sorry Cub, I have been reading a lot lately about the Gross National Happiness metric that Bhutan uses to determine legislative activity, I am currently a bit jaded on the issue of legislating through an economic prism.

It will pass as I move on to the next topic for reading.
    reading your post, all I could think is this...

vCash

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    I've said it before and I will say it again. Conservatives think about gay sex more than most gay people do.

I guess you favor being wrong all the time!!!

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Good, so why worry about them getting married. =)

Also stop taking the crazy side of 87 it makes you look bad
    I don't worry about it. I'm fine with gays getting married as long as church's aren't forced to marry gays.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

This thread is comical because it shows the cognitive dissonance amongst the pro gay marriage crowd oh so well.

If you all would simply abandon the reasoning that discrimination against LGBTs is bad "because they were born that way" and admit that discrimination ought to be applied arbitrarily in a way that makes the most sense for "society", then you'd have a case. The only problem is that when you realize that the discrimination *is* arbitrary based on constructs built on empty-signifiers (and laws that have been fashioned henceforth), you realize that the anti gay marriage crowd actually has a case.

You need not abandon your position. Just get rid of the shitty rationale you use to buttress your belief system, replace it with something a little more well thought out, and you might actually be able to sway some people who are on the fence or lightly hold to their opposing stance.

vCash

Which? You don't think unions would pass? Do you have data that says it won't? I've talked to a lot of people while involved with campaigns and the vast majority of them would accept unions--they simply want to defend marriage. Granted, my information is limited in scope, but it is from rural Oklahomans who tend to be more staunchly opposed to gay marriage than many.
    The fact that we want the same thing straights take for granted; marriage; isn't "sticking it to those married people". Does Kim Kardashian's 20 min marriage make your marriage less relevant? Does Newt or Rush's 15 marriages stick it to your marriage? We, as a society call those things "marriages" altough I think you and I would agree that they defile the religious meaning.

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    The fact that we want the same thing straights take for granted; marriage; isn't "sticking it to those married people". Does Kim Kardashian's 20 min marriage make your marriage less relevant? Does Newt or Rush's 15 marriages stick it to your marriage? We, as a society call those things "marriages" altough I think you and I would agree that they defile the religious meaning.
    What does it matter what it's called then? If its equal rights, what's in a name? Civil unions would pass tomorrow in most places. Why cling to calling it marriage?

And Newt defiles conservatism--not just marriage.

Sticking it to married people in what way?

Nope.

Of course you will .. Just as some discriminate against race. The point is that the government wouldn't discriminate gays any more than they would someone with a genetic disposition for red hair.