Best Job in Football? OU honorable mention (top 15)

Posted 711 day(s) ago 1596 Views 31 Replies
Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    lauderdaleOU's Avatar
    Posts
    4,215
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    M Streets

    Best Job in Football? OU honorable mention (top 15)

    Can't really argue with any of these selections...

    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...llege-football

  2. #2
    BoulderSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    2,031
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    he usually puts the "next" in order as well ... so that would make OU #12 overall .. . not bad

  3. #3
    Mississippi Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,499
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    East St Louis, yo

    If you can't win at Texas, then you ought to consider another profession.
    Ha!
    3 users like Mississippi Sooner's post: lauderdaleOU, MoJoOkie, OU JJ


  4. #4
    OuachitaSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,788
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Dallas Texas

    Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    he usually puts the "next" in order as well ... so that would make OU #12 overall .. . not bad
    13, since he listed two schools at 8.

    Surely he meant Oklahoma State
    2 users like OuachitaSooner's post: COLLISON ANGRY, HeroOfTheDay


  5. #5
    Fraxis's Avatar
    Posts
    263
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX

    Best Job in Football? OU honorable mention (top 15)

    Why is Georgia an honorable mention?

  6. #6
    MikeLucky's Avatar
    Posts
    3,321
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

    I assumed this was just a college list and thought that outside of the top ten was a joke... but for ALL of football... yeah, I'll take it.

  7. #7
    With all the advantages that exist for Texas, their relatively sparse trophy case is puzzling.


    Everyone focuses on all the economic and geographic factors that should allow them to the dominate college football indefinitely, but no one ever seems to talk about the factors that have prevented them from actually doing it.


    Without question, more college coaches have had greater success at Oklahoma than at Texas. Only program with four coaches with over 100 wins at one school. The most successful program since WWII.


    OU's trophy case looks like what most people envision about Texas.


    OU is easily a Top 5 college job.
    The following users like this post: Sooners2007


  8. #8
    USC is too low. It's a better job than anything in college not named Texas, and that's a good argument.
    The following users like this post: ChpThril


  9. #9
    Originally Posted by lash View Post
    With all the advantages that exist for Texas, their relatively sparse trophy case is puzzling.


    Everyone focuses on all the economic and geographic factors that should allow them to the dominate college football indefinitely, but no one ever seems to talk about the factors that have prevented them from actually doing it.


    Without question, more college coaches have had greater success at Oklahoma than at Texas. Only program with four coaches with over 100 wins at one school. The most successful program since WWII.


    OU's trophy case looks like what most people envision about Texas.


    OU is easily a Top 5 college job.
    I don't think OU is a Top 5 job, but probably Top 10. Jobs that are better than OU are: Texas, Ohio State, Florida, USC, Notre Dame, and Alabama.

  10. #10
    HeroOfTheDay's Avatar
    Posts
    4,826
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    5 feet from Owen Field

    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    I don't think OU is a Top 5 job, but probably Top 10. Jobs that are better than OU are: Texas, Ohio State, Florida, USC, Notre Dame, and Alabama.
    Agree with all except Florida

  11. #11
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    i really don't understand how ND is such a great job

  12. #12
    DIB's Avatar
    Posts
    4,625
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tulsa

    Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    i really don't understand how ND is such a great job
    Your own TV deal. Tons of media exposure. A schedule packed with marquee games. Post season rules that skew in your favor. History and tradition that almost no other school can compete with. NFL success of former Domers.

    That's just off the top of my head.
    2 users like DIB's post: COLLISON ANGRY, DHF


  13. #13
    SoonerSteve1's Avatar
    Posts
    2,928
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Your mom's house

    Oklahoma is a better job than Florida, LSU and Michigan... At least on Par if not better than tOSU
    The following users like this post: OU JJ


  14. #14
    florida my ass
    The following users like this post: OU JJ


  15. #15
    SoonerDan74012's Avatar
    Posts
    8,234
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

    Originally Posted by SoonerSteve1 View Post
    Oklahoma is a better job than Florida, LSU and Michigan... At least on Par if not better than tOSU
    Hell, OU has more MNC's than those three schools combined.
    3 users like SoonerDan74012's post: OU JJ, SoonerMinister, SoonerSteve1


  16. #16
    Florida is an SEC school in a major state for recruiting, and their Grand Total Revenue is higher than schools like Oklahoma, Florida State, LSU, Penn State, and Notre Dame.


    It's a top job. Oklahoma is close, though.

  17. #17
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a

    Best Job in Football? OU honorable mention (top 15)

    Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Your own TV deal. Tons of media exposure. A schedule packed with marquee games. Post season rules that skew in your favor. History and tradition that almost no other school can compete with. NFL success of former Domers.

    That's just off the top of my head.
    I'm looking at it more from they have a short leash for coaches because of their old success and high expectations but they have a limited recruiting base

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by lash View Post
    With all the advantages that exist for Texas, their relatively sparse trophy case is puzzling.


    Everyone focuses on all the economic and geographic factors that should allow them to the dominate college football indefinitely, but no one ever seems to talk about the factors that have prevented them from actually doing it.


    Without question, more college coaches have had greater success at Oklahoma than at Texas. Only program with four coaches with over 100 wins at one school. The most successful program since WWII.


    OU's trophy case looks like what most people envision about Texas.


    OU is easily a Top 5 college job.
    I don't usually like to take shots at other programs but Texas has all the advantages and resources you can imagine and their trophy case has about half of what OUr's has. Texas, in my opinion, had underachieved throughout their history considering everything they have that plays in their favor... Not to mention the money the school has.

  19. #19
    suncoastsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    9,565
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Destin, Florida

    Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    Hell, OU has more MNC's than those three schools combined.
    No . . . they don't. Florida and LSU each have at least three. Michigan has a couple as well.

  20. #20
    SoonerDan74012's Avatar
    Posts
    8,234
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

    Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    No . . . they don't. Florida and LSU each have at least three. Michigan has a couple as well.
    LSU 2, Florida 2, and Michigan 1.....I think.
    The following users like this post: OU JJ


  21. #21
    Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    LSU 2, Florida 2, and Michigan 1.....I think.
    LSU - 1958, 2003, 2007

    Florida - 1996, 2006, 2008

    Michigan - 1948, 1997
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner


  22. #22
    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    I don't think OU is a Top 5 job, but probably Top 10. Jobs that are better than OU are: Texas, Ohio State, Florida, USC, Notre Dame, and Alabama.
    **** please!!










    disclaimer: Im part black, so i can say it
    2 users like Sooners2007's post: ChpThril, Sooner Bob

    Last edited by OrangeBlossom; December 14th, 2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Racial slur

  23. #23
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    ***** please!!


    i'm going to start calling you obama







    disclaimer: Im part black, so i can say it
    Last edited by OrangeBlossom; December 14th, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Quote slur

  24. #24
    ChpThril's Avatar
    Posts
    8,821
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nearest Lake Available

    Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    *****please!!










    disclaimer: Im part black, so i can say it


    The ladies on the board and oorah wanna know which part?
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

    Last edited by OrangeBlossom; December 14th, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Quoted slur

  25. #25
    SoonerDan74012's Avatar
    Posts
    8,234
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    LSU - 1958, 2003, 2007

    Florida - 1996, 2006, 2008

    Michigan - 1948, 1997
    Forgot about the ass kicking Florida gave to Nebraska.

  26. #26
    LSU is not a top 10 job period.
    The following users like this post: TittiezBeerNSoonerFB


  27. #27
    dtex's Avatar
    Posts
    807
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    dallas, tx

    is the debate good job or good tradition? or a combination of both?

    OU is a good job, but it lacks as much money as schools like UT, tOSU, and ND, lacks being in a recruiting rich state like UT, Florida, and USC, and lacks the sex appeal of USC. so, if i am looking for a job, i would think UT, tOSU, ND, and UF are better jobs, with USC in the discussion.

    OU has just about every school but ND beat or (or at least equal) on tradition.
    2 users like dtex's post: DHF, lauderdaleOU


  28. #28
    TittiezBeerNSoonerFB's Avatar
    Posts
    3,878
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ‎/w\ (_ _) /w\

    Pathetic. The Houston Texas made the top 10!? Are you ****ing joshing me!? Is it their rich history or their losing record since their inception? Or is it their 1 playoff win in 10 years?

    "As of the end of the 2011 season, the Texans' overall regular season win-loss record is 68-95 (.417). They are 1-1 (.500) all-time in playoff games."

    I consider this list invalid on the basis of the Texans pick alone, not to mention several other baffling choices. (LSU, Georgia, Oregon). I would replace those with Dallas, Pittsburgh, The U (even with the sanctions), A&M (bright future), Florida State (just as big a job as UF), and the Dirty Birds (Get the Dawgs outta there, it's not even the biggest job in the state). You can even throw in the 9ers and Raiders jobs above Oregon, for example. LSU is a good job but bigger than a Dallas or Pittsburgh (for example)? GTFOOHWTS!

  29. #29
    TittiezBeerNSoonerFB's Avatar
    Posts
    3,878
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ‎/w\ (_ _) /w\

    Also an honorable mention could be....... drum roll....... Penn State. Great facilities, great following.

  30. #30
    thurman murman's Avatar
    Posts
    7,888
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Peanut Gallery

    Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    Forgot about the ass kicking Florida gave to Nebraska.
    What are you talking about?

  31. #31
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    21,735
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by TittiezBeerNSoonerFB View Post
    Pathetic. The Houston Texas made the top 10!? Are you ****ing joshing me!? Is it their rich history or their losing record since their inception? Or is it their 1 playoff win in 10 years?

    "As of the end of the 2011 season, the Texans' overall regular season win-loss record is 68-95 (.417). They are 1-1 (.500) all-time in playoff games."

    I consider this list invalid on the basis of the Texans pick alone, not to mention several other baffling choices. (LSU, Georgia, Oregon). I would replace those with Dallas, Pittsburgh, The U (even with the sanctions), A&M (bright future), Florida State (just as big a job as UF), and the Dirty Birds (Get the Dawgs outta there, it's not even the biggest job in the state). You can even throw in the 9ers and Raiders jobs above Oregon, for example. LSU is a good job but bigger than a Dallas or Pittsburgh (for example)? GTFOOHWTS!
    Its not a fair comparison to rank college jobs along side NFL jobs. Of course most NFL jobs are going to be more desirable to a coach than a college job. I guarantee Brian Kelley would leave ND in a heart beat if Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft or Arthur Blank came calling. But guys like that aren't going to take a risk on someone with no NFL experience, so that isn't going to happen.

    Well, Jerry did hire Switzer, but that was a low risk move given that the Cowboys were the best team in the NFL at the time.

  32. #32
    TittiezBeerNSoonerFB's Avatar
    Posts
    3,878
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ‎/w\ (_ _) /w\

    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Its not a fair comparison to rank college jobs along side NFL jobs. Of course most NFL jobs are going to be more desirable to a coach than a college job. I guarantee Brian Kelley would leave ND in a heart beat if Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft or Arthur Blank came calling. But guys like that aren't going to take a risk on someone with no NFL experience, so that isn't going to happen.

    Well, Jerry did hire Switzer, but that was a low risk move given that the Cowboys were the best team in the NFL at the time.
    Stoops has for sure been offered before, and has turned them all down. They actually have an ESPN poll right now asking, average head coaching job or Top 25 coaching job? I thought top 25 was too broad, thought it should be more like top 10 to get a good response. I clicked it and was like, "Oh shit, really?":

    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll...n/_/id/3385129

    I do think you are correct from the owners perspective, as there have been many successful college coaches that couldn't cut it in the pros. Saban being a perfect example.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 7th, 2014, 09:20 PM
  2. AARP to Obama: Donít mention us again
    By Gonzo in forum ThunderDome
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM
  3. Justin Fuente Mention in Forde-Yard Dash
    By Meni in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 18th, 2012, 09:21 AM