Best Job in Football? OU honorable mention (top 15)

Posted 711 day(s) ago 1596 Views 31 Replies

Can't really argue with any of these selections...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...llege-football

he usually puts the "next" in order as well ... so that would make OU #12 overall .. . not bad

If you can't win at Texas, then you ought to consider another profession.
    Ha!
    3 users like Mississippi Sooner's post: lauderdaleOU, MoJoOkie, OU JJ

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    he usually puts the "next" in order as well ... so that would make OU #12 overall .. . not bad
    13, since he listed two schools at 8.

Surely he meant Oklahoma State
    2 users like OuachitaSooner's post: COLLISON ANGRY, HeroOfTheDay

Why is Georgia an honorable mention?

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

I assumed this was just a college list and thought that outside of the top ten was a joke... but for ALL of football... yeah, I'll take it.

With all the advantages that exist for Texas, their relatively sparse trophy case is puzzling.

Everyone focuses on all the economic and geographic factors that should allow them to the dominate college football indefinitely, but no one ever seems to talk about the factors that have prevented them from actually doing it.

Without question, more college coaches have had greater success at Oklahoma than at Texas. Only program with four coaches with over 100 wins at one school. The most successful program since WWII.

OU's trophy case looks like what most people envision about Texas.

OU is easily a Top 5 college job.
    The following users like this post: Sooners2007

USC is too low. It's a better job than anything in college not named Texas, and that's a good argument.
    The following users like this post: ChpThril

Originally Posted by lash View Post
    With all the advantages that exist for Texas, their relatively sparse trophy case is puzzling.

Everyone focuses on all the economic and geographic factors that should allow them to the dominate college football indefinitely, but no one ever seems to talk about the factors that have prevented them from actually doing it.

Without question, more college coaches have had greater success at Oklahoma than at Texas. Only program with four coaches with over 100 wins at one school. The most successful program since WWII.

I don't think OU is a Top 5 job, but probably Top 10. Jobs that are better than OU are: Texas, Ohio State, Florida, USC, Notre Dame, and Alabama.

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    I don't think OU is a Top 5 job, but probably Top 10. Jobs that are better than OU are: Texas, Ohio State, Florida, USC, Notre Dame, and Alabama.
    Agree with all except Florida

SoonerBounce Guest
    i really don't understand how ND is such a great job

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    i really don't understand how ND is such a great job
    Your own TV deal. Tons of media exposure. A schedule packed with marquee games. Post season rules that skew in your favor. History and tradition that almost no other school can compete with. NFL success of former Domers.

That's just off the top of my head.
    2 users like DIB's post: COLLISON ANGRY, DHF

Oklahoma is a better job than Florida, LSU and Michigan... At least on Par if not better than tOSU
    The following users like this post: OU JJ

florida my ass

Originally Posted by SoonerSteve1 View Post
    Oklahoma is a better job than Florida, LSU and Michigan... At least on Par if not better than tOSU
    Hell, OU has more MNC's than those three schools combined.
    3 users like SoonerDan74012's post: OU JJ, SoonerMinister, SoonerSteve1

Florida is an SEC school in a major state for recruiting, and their Grand Total Revenue is higher than schools like Oklahoma, Florida State, LSU, Penn State, and Notre Dame.

It's a top job. Oklahoma is close, though.

SoonerBounce Guest

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Your own TV deal. Tons of media exposure. A schedule packed with marquee games. Post season rules that skew in your favor. History and tradition that almost no other school can compete with. NFL success of former Domers.

That's just off the top of my head.
    I'm looking at it more from they have a short leash for coaches because of their old success and high expectations but they have a limited recruiting base

Originally Posted by lash View Post

I don't usually like to take shots at other programs but Texas has all the advantages and resources you can imagine and their trophy case has about half of what OUr's has. Texas, in my opinion, had underachieved throughout their history considering everything they have that plays in their favor... Not to mention the money the school has.

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post
    Hell, OU has more MNC's than those three schools combined.
    No . . . they don't. Florida and LSU each have at least three. Michigan has a couple as well.

Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    No . . . they don't. Florida and LSU each have at least three. Michigan has a couple as well.
    LSU 2, Florida 2, and Michigan 1.....I think.

LSU 2, Florida 2, and Michigan 1.....I think.
    LSU - 1958, 2003, 2007

Florida - 1996, 2006, 2008

Michigan - 1948, 1997
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner

**** please!!

disclaimer: Im part black, so i can say it
    2 users like Sooners2007's post: ChpThril, Sooner Bob

Last edited by OrangeBlossom; December 14th, 2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Racial slur

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    ***** please!!

i'm going to start calling you obama

Last edited by OrangeBlossom; December 14th, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Quote slur

Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    *****please!!

The ladies on the board and oorah wanna know which part?
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Last edited by OrangeBlossom; December 14th, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Quoted slur

LSU - 1958, 2003, 2007

Florida - 1996, 2006, 2008

Michigan - 1948, 1997
    Forgot about the ass kicking Florida gave to Nebraska.

LSU is not a top 10 job period.
    The following users like this post: TittiezBeerNSoonerFB

is the debate good job or good tradition? or a combination of both?

OU is a good job, but it lacks as much money as schools like UT, tOSU, and ND, lacks being in a recruiting rich state like UT, Florida, and USC, and lacks the sex appeal of USC. so, if i am looking for a job, i would think UT, tOSU, ND, and UF are better jobs, with USC in the discussion.

OU has just about every school but ND beat or (or at least equal) on tradition.
    2 users like dtex's post: DHF, lauderdaleOU

Pathetic. The Houston Texas made the top 10!? Are you ****ing joshing me!? Is it their rich history or their losing record since their inception? Or is it their 1 playoff win in 10 years?

"As of the end of the 2011 season, the Texans' overall regular season win-loss record is 68-95 (.417). They are 1-1 (.500) all-time in playoff games."

I consider this list invalid on the basis of the Texans pick alone, not to mention several other baffling choices. (LSU, Georgia, Oregon). I would replace those with Dallas, Pittsburgh, The U (even with the sanctions), A&M (bright future), Florida State (just as big a job as UF), and the Dirty Birds (Get the Dawgs outta there, it's not even the biggest job in the state). You can even throw in the 9ers and Raiders jobs above Oregon, for example. LSU is a good job but bigger than a Dallas or Pittsburgh (for example)? GTFOOHWTS!

Also an honorable mention could be....... drum roll....... Penn State. Great facilities, great following.

Forgot about the ass kicking Florida gave to Nebraska.
    What are you talking about?

Originally Posted by TittiezBeerNSoonerFB View Post
    Pathetic. The Houston Texas made the top 10!? Are you ****ing joshing me!? Is it their rich history or their losing record since their inception? Or is it their 1 playoff win in 10 years?

"As of the end of the 2011 season, the Texans' overall regular season win-loss record is 68-95 (.417). They are 1-1 (.500) all-time in playoff games."

I consider this list invalid on the basis of the Texans pick alone, not to mention several other baffling choices. (LSU, Georgia, Oregon). I would replace those with Dallas, Pittsburgh, The U (even with the sanctions), A&M (bright future), Florida State (just as big a job as UF), and the Dirty Birds (Get the Dawgs outta there, it's not even the biggest job in the state). You can even throw in the 9ers and Raiders jobs above Oregon, for example. LSU is a good job but bigger than a Dallas or Pittsburgh (for example)? GTFOOHWTS!
    Its not a fair comparison to rank college jobs along side NFL jobs. Of course most NFL jobs are going to be more desirable to a coach than a college job. I guarantee Brian Kelley would leave ND in a heart beat if Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft or Arthur Blank came calling. But guys like that aren't going to take a risk on someone with no NFL experience, so that isn't going to happen.

Well, Jerry did hire Switzer, but that was a low risk move given that the Cowboys were the best team in the NFL at the time.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Its not a fair comparison to rank college jobs along side NFL jobs. Of course most NFL jobs are going to be more desirable to a coach than a college job. I guarantee Brian Kelley would leave ND in a heart beat if Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft or Arthur Blank came calling. But guys like that aren't going to take a risk on someone with no NFL experience, so that isn't going to happen.

Well, Jerry did hire Switzer, but that was a low risk move given that the Cowboys were the best team in the NFL at the time.
    Stoops has for sure been offered before, and has turned them all down. They actually have an ESPN poll right now asking, average head coaching job or Top 25 coaching job? I thought top 25 was too broad, thought it should be more like top 10 to get a good response. I clicked it and was like, "Oh shit, really?":

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll...n/_/id/3385129

I do think you are correct from the owners perspective, as there have been many successful college coaches that couldn't cut it in the pros. Saban being a perfect example.