Music Paul McCartney to Sub in for Kurt Cobain as Nirvana Performs at Sandy Relief Concert

Just saw this.

link

What do you guys think?

Not a big fan of either, but seems like a very weird and uncomfortable fit
    The following users like this post: MoJoOkie

It's cool and all, but I can't see McCartney screaming "**** me" or "Heart Shaped Box" He will probably just do his own type of variation of the songs. Be interested to see how it goes.

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    Be interested to see how it goes.
    Not well.

McCartney is not the right guy for this. Should have asked Neil Young.
    5 users like beelzeBob's post: freeeewilly66, Keef, Sieve, thurman murman, xman

oh no...

Paul McCartney to Sub in for Kurt Cobain as Nirvana Performs at Sandy Relief Concert

We will see.

I trust Grohl's judgement. Who knows what chops McCartney has in him. He's a really good guitar player and frontman. Maybe he will surprise everyone.

I don't think Grohl would do anything to make a mockery of Nirvana or Kurt.
    The following users like this post: xman

Uhh, what?

(at the same time, I want to see it)

Guys, don't forget, this is the dude that wrote Helter Skelter. Let's wait and see. He may surprise.

lets see what songs they play

Crap.

I like them both separately for what they do best. Together it'll be piss.

Love the Foo Fighters. Love the Beatles. I have a hard time wrapping my head around this though. It's not like Paul can't scream his head off (see: Helter Skelter). But at his age I'm not too sure about it. If he tries to sing Nirvana without any kind of bite to it, then it's gonna sound sappy and stupid.

It can't be as bad as Lou Reed playing with Metallica though.

2 users like usaosooner's post: AFS00N3R, ImTheDude

This will not end well... !!!

Paul McCartney to Sub in for Kurt Cobain as Nirvana Performs at Sandy Relief Concert

Where's Dave?

Dave Grohl looks way more fat and bald than I remember.

I'm guessing they'll do like they did with Chris Martin and Michael Stipe and have Dave and Kris come out and join him for Smells Like Teen Spirit or something.

This is going to be surpisingly good IMO. I would love to hear Sir Paul sing Lithium. LOL.

Here we go.

Kinda disappointed I waited up for that.

That was Nirvana.... Doing a non Nirvana song.... Without Kurt.... And it didn't sound ANYTHING like Nirvana....

Sucks for Nirvana.

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    That was Nirvana.... Doing a non Nirvana song.... Without Kurt.... And it didn't sound ANYTHING like Nirvana....
    Seems to me it's about the only way to do it without it being horrible

Next he should do Bradley Nowell.

Paul is impressive for being 70.
    2 users like Sooner Showtime's post: AcousticSoup, Sieve

Sir Paul McCartney and a reunited Nirvana debut their song Cut Me Some Slack at concert raising money for the victims of Superstorm Sandy.
    who will buy that song?

I'll youtube it a few years from now and say "that was pretty cool".

That's about it. It was neat seeing them all on stage together.

Worked better than I thought it would actually. Anyone else think Alicia Keys sounded flat during Empire State of Mind?

Originally Posted by freeeewilly66 View Post
    Worked better than I thought it would actually. Anyone else think Alicia Keys sounded flat during Empire State of Mind?
    The constant asking for people to pull out their cellphones rather than a lighter like a normal concertgoer was tastic.

New York statutes have pretty much guaranteed that there would only be a handful of lighters in the crowd.

I think asking for lighters to go up is lame too...it has to be spontaneous.

Btw, the crowd was lacking enthusiasm...too bad NY is so cold...if that had been an outdoor free concert, it would have been of epic proportions

Weirdest crowd ever at a Kanye gig, for sure.

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    The constant asking for people to pull out their cellphones rather than a lighter like a normal concertgoer was tastic.
    On that note, I am so sick of seeing a sea of cell phone lights when people record video at concerts. People can't enjoy anything in life these days unless they're taking it in through a tiny little screen. Not to mention, it's gonna sound like shit when you watch it later.

The worst was when I saw a girl holding an iPad during a concert. Not only is she blocking my view, but she BROUGHT A ****ING IPAD TO A CONCERT. How she managed to sneak that in I'll never understand.
    2 users like freeeewilly66's post: Sieve, traxx

I liked it. I was a huge Nirvana fan. I think Sir Paul did a pretty good job. Obviously it would have been better with Kurt, but it was still pretty good.

Dave Grohl is pretty damn talented. Everthing he touches turns to gold.
    4 users like Lake_Bum's post: AcousticSoup, drspencer, Sieve, SpankyNek

On that note, I am so sick of seeing a sea of cell phone lights when people record video at concerts. People can't enjoy anything in life these days unless they're taking it in through a tiny little screen. Not to mention, it's gonna sound like shit when you watch it later.

The worst was when I saw a girl holding an iPad during a concert. Not only is she blocking my view, but she BROUGHT A ****ING IPAD TO A CONCERT. How she managed to sneak that in I'll never understand.
    Should have accidentally bumped into her.

If Grohl and Novoselic wrote this song last month and called it a Nirvana song would anyone know the difference?

Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    If Grohl and Novoselic wrote this song last month and called it a Nirvana song would anyone know the difference?
    This was just a jam that evolved. It's not a real penned song. I doubt any lyrics were even set in stone.

Originally Posted by Jbaker View Post
    Dave Grohl looks way more fat and bald than I remember.
    Do you mean Novaselic the bassist? Dave looks the same..long hair beard etc

I had to threaten someone at a buckethead show to get their damn phone out of my face. I came to see a concert not the screen on yer phone.

Originally Posted by Lawton4life View Post
    Do you mean Novaselic the bassist? Dave looks the same..long hair beard etc
    He was referring to McCartney's actual drummer.

The idolization of Kurt Cobain truly disturbs me

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    The idolization of Kurt Cobain truly disturbs me
    Who's idolizing him?

I actually thought it was pretty decent. And Paul does NOT look 70 up there. Very impressive.
    2 users like Sieve's post: AcousticSoup, Lake_Bum

Used to love McCartney... still do I guess, but I'm more of a Lennon guy these days.

Q: How ****ing sweet would it have been to have a Cobain hologram a la Tupac on stage and do some real Nirvana songs?

A: Real ****ing sweet.