‏@TonyPauline Hearing Kenny Stills/WR/Oklahoma will also enter the draft. ...

Posted 642 day(s) ago 6096 Views 90 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Twitter ‏@TonyPauline Hearing Kenny Stills/WR/Oklahoma will also enter the draft. ...

‏@TonyPauline
    Hearing Kenny Stills/WR/Oklahoma will also enter the draft. ...

his previous tweet was about another WR, I think from TENN

Shouldnt be a shock if he does

Wouldn't surpirse me. He's had a decent year; but I think coming back (baring injury) would up his stock. JMO
    2 users like MoJoOkie's post: OUCarlton, soonirvana

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Shouldnt be a shock if he does
    Agreed. This is not news. Unless an agent tells him staying will up his stock, he's going to hit the road. Same with Tony Jefferson.

It's news since its NEW info, he's talking to agents, oh well, will Kenny play on the outside in the nfl? how effective will he be? OU not doing too well sending WRs to the NFL yet.

Nevermind...just saw what "also" meant?

expected this since he and TJ talked about it before the season started

More worried about Colvin and Jefferson, honestly.
    3 users like El Jefe's post: Boomersoonr7xchamps, fdubzou, SoonerinBoulder

Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    More worried about Colvin and Jefferson, honestly.
    I expect TJ to be gone, and cover corners go pretty high in the draft typically. Isn't Colvin a little on the short side though? Not that it will effect him staying or going, he just looks a little short when he's covering. Might be that the WR's are on the tall side. I should know his height, but I don't.

Time for Metoyer to step up his game...
    2 users like lauderdaleOU's post: MoJoOkie, thurman murman

I would be shocked if Stills did anything in the NFL, I've never seen a "4.3 guy" that looked so slow.
    The following users like this post: Yatahaze

Stills is a possession reciever due to his unwillingness to attempt to break a tackle. If a defender is even close, he falls to the ground. Possession recievers dont drop balls as often as he does. Some games he is great, others he is not. Too inconsistent right now IMO. Straight line speed is good and does catch the ball with his hands. Route running is good but not great.

He may go, but he needs another year.

we really need TJ to stay more than stills...not sure if next year will help his stock with breaking in a new qb but it'd be a good security blanket for bell/knight/thompson to have an experience wr to help him

I don't have a problem with Kenny leaving. There are too many reasons why he should leave (Inexperienced QB, risk of injury, the offense could be changed). He's going to get his money while he can. He had a good career at Oklahoma and I'll be rooting for him in the NFL.

Originally Posted by bruthaman View Post
    Stills is a possession reciever due to his unwillingness to attempt to break a tackle. If a defender is even close, he falls to the ground. Possession recievers dont drop balls as often as he does. Some games he is great, others he is not. Too inconsistent right now IMO. Straight line speed is good and does catch the ball with his hands. Route running is good but not great.

Could not have said this any better. I have the exact same sentiments about his play.

This is pretty accurate.

Now he can smoke the weed.... lets hope he does not get a hot test in the combine

ha he must have read this thread...just tweeted "gotta hear it from the horses mouth"

I haven't been following the draft stock charts lately so if he's expected to go 1st or 2nd round, then I wouldn't blame him for taking the money now. Too many athletes come back for another year and then get hurt. I think he could use another year personally.

Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    This is pretty accurate.

Yes, but he has made some big time catches for us over the past couple years, but he was never the same after getting his bell run in that FSU game in Tallahassee... that is when he started dropping to the ground after the catch. He don't like getting hit.

He is not ready imo. I don't think he will be a very good pro

I could be wrong, but I thought I saw somewhere that Kenny said something that implied he was coming back. I know a friend of Slick's - he says he will be back. Of course things change, and until we hear it from the kids themselves we have no idea. If these two stay - that is a major trend at OU. We have had some big time players come back for their Sr. seasons.

In this day and age do you ever hear anything from the "horse's mouth"?

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    that is when he started dropping to the ground after the catch. He don't like getting hit.
    Some call it self-preservation. At his size, sometimes the smart thing is to hit the ground or get out of bounds, and protect your career. Seem to work pretty damn well for Ladainian Tomlinson. I don't blame him one bit. I've rarely seen him come up short for a first down b/c he was "scared".

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    I would be shocked if Stills did anything in the NFL, I've never seen a "4.3 guy" that looked so slow.
    I can't believe he'd go very high. Although he's got great hands when he wants too, he sometimes gives up on his routes or runs them lazily, doesn't fight for the ball, and is clearly concerned more about impending contact than he is catching the ball sometimes.

Kenny's awesome. He'll stay.

Originally Posted by lauderdaleOU View Post
    Time for Metoyer to step up his game...
    I'm not convinced Metoyer has any game. He was Mr Irrelevant out there when he was starting. Everybody we had out there was better than Metoyer from what I saw. His hype far surpassed his ability on the field and it's not like he was battling double coverage all the time either.
    The following users like this post: Sieve

Alot of talk he will go.
    Oren Shiri‏@NFLorentime

Oklahoma junior WR Kenny Stills will enter April's Draft

Kenny is a great blocker down field

Unfortunately Stills will not do much in the NFL IMO

Originally Posted by mightysooner View Post
    I'm not convinced Metoyer has any game. He was Mr Irrelevant out there when he was starting. Everybody we had out there was better than Metoyer from what I saw. His hype far surpassed his ability on the field and it's not like he was battling double coverage all the time either.
    Essentially he is a RS Frosh... right? One year of prep and this year was his first year in the big leagues... to boot, he can RS at OU as well if need be. I think he has a ton of potential. He was banged up one game and then kinda got passed over. I don't think he is the slot/scat type WR at all.. JB and Stills had our outside positions locked down. Give him some time; hopefully he surprises us all.
    The following users like this post: Oldnslo

I would love to see him catching passes from Sam.
    3 users like SoonerDan74012's post: HeroOfTheDay, KJHolley, Sooners2007

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    SHOCKED you would say such a thing

Originally Posted by lauderdaleOU View Post
    Essentially he is a RS Frosh... right? One year of prep and this year was his first year in the big leagues... to boot, he can RS at OU as well if need be. I think he has a ton of potential. He was banged up one game and then kinda got passed over. I don't think he is the slot/scat type WR at all.. JB and Stills had our outside positions locked down. Give him some time; hopefully he surprises us all.

I hope you're right. Shepard was shiny new to the big leagues as a FR too and he was out there embarrassing people all season. I expected to see at least SOME glimmer of Metoyer's possible greatness given his hype, but I saw nothing from him in any game. Jack. Zero. Nada. Got passed over? Seemed to me like he got flat out benched for suckage once Saunders got eligibility.

Originally Posted by cscsooner View Post
    ha he must have read this thread...just tweeted "gotta hear it from the horses mouth"
    Well, he needs to see this;

An NFL reciever is like Brandon Jones or Mark Clayton. Clayton caught everything and you had to tackle him....if you could catch him. He caught the ball and made people give an effort to tackle him. Jones didnt have the hands Clayton did, but was very fast and would make you have to tackle him too. I remember one game, we drove down the field throwing 5 yard outs to Jones and he never ran out of bounds. He would catch it, turn towards the middle of the field and welcome the contact from the defender, not shy away. All that said, what Stills needs to do is be able to bring it game after game. Like Clayton, Jones, Iglesias, Broyles, Kelly and more that I am sure to miss. Stills has yet to be a sure go to guy because of his unwillingness to sell out to catch the ball. Now, when he is fully invested, he is money, but that usually happens when he knows he will not get hit. If he thinks he might get hit, he will give half hearted effort. He has to learn how to do it every game like the other WRs I mentioned before. This year, our go to guys on offense have been Saunders, Brown, Williams, Millard and Clay. I wouldnt put Still ahead of them as a go to guy. I really hope he stays and invests in being more consistent and more explosive.

I hope you're right. Shepard was shiny new to the big leagues as a FR too and he was out there embarrassing people all season. I expected to see at least SOME glimmer of Metoyer's possible greatness given his hype, but I saw nothing from him in any game. Jack. Zero. Nada. Got passed over? Seemed to me like he got flat out benched for suckage once Saunders got eligibility.
    Metoyer needs to work on his footspeed. Meaning quick feet off the LOS and acceleration after he makes that move. The kid isnt very fast, but he does have great great great hands. So, if youre not gonna have a good top end, you 0-60 better be darned good. He can work on that in the offseason running ladders at a good clip, accelerating after the last ring and exploding up and down stairs hitting every one of them. This will help him a great deal.

you obviously didn't read the "stillls is a stud" thread

Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
    Some call it self-preservation. At his size, sometimes the smart thing is to hit the ground or get out of bounds, and protect your career. Seem to work pretty damn well for Ladainian Tomlinson. I don't blame him one bit. I've rarely seen him come up short for a first down b/c he was "scared".
    **** that.
    The following users like this post: cscsooner

Well, he needs to see this;

An NFL reciever is like Brandon Jones or Mark Clayton. Clayton caught everything and you had to tackle him....if you could catch him. He caught the ball and made people give an effort to tackle him. Jones didnt have the hands Clayton did, but was very fast and would make you have to tackle him too. I remember one game, we drove down the field throwing 5 yard outs to Jones and he never ran out of bounds. He would catch it, turn towards the middle of the field and welcome the contact from the defender, not shy away. All that said, what Stills needs to do is be able to bring it game after game. Like Clayton, Jones, Iglesias, Broyles, Kelly and more that I am sure to miss. Stills has yet to be a sure go to guy because of his unwillingness to sell out to catch the ball. Now, when he is fully invested, he is money, but that usually happens when he knows he will not get hit. If he thinks he might get hit, he will give half hearted effort. He has to learn how to do it every game like the other WRs I mentioned before. This year, our go to guys on offense have been Saunders, Brown, Williams, Millard and Clay. I wouldnt put Still ahead of them as a go to guy. I really hope he stays and invests in being more consistent and more explosive.
    I agree with most of that except Kenny was a go to guy. He sure was against WV. Yes, he is scared to get hit, but that is why he wont be a first rounder. He has the talent to be first round, but is projected 2-3 due to the reasons above. If I am a pro scout I would have got to assume that he will change his playing style once his livelihood depends on it. No one at OU is gonna call out the "best receiver" for being soft, but it will take about 2 days in an NFL training camp before that happens. This thread kind of seems like we are shitting on Kenny, but everything said has been spot on. So is the fact that he is the best reciever at OU since 2008 (sans Broyles).

Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner View Post
    Unfortunately Stills will not do much in the NFL IMO
    You are correct. He needs to prove he can take a hit over the middle.
    The following users like this post: Boomersoonr7xchamps

Call me an idiot but Justin Brown, and Saunders (2nd half of season) out performed him this season. JMO

I feel he is too lazy. We never see him utilize that speed that everyone raves about.....

Maybe that is why he missed those passes vs TCU, had his mind on the draft.
    The following users like this post: lauderdaleOU

Originally Posted by TittiezBeerNSoonerFB View Post
    I agree with most of that except Kenny was a go to guy. He sure was against WV. Yes, he is scared to get hit, but that is why he wont be a first rounder. He has the talent to be first round, but is projected 2-3 due to the reasons above. If I am a pro scout I would have got to assume that he will change his playing style once his livelihood depends on it. No one at OU is gonna call out the "best receiver" for being soft, but it will take about 2 days in an NFL training camp before that happens. This thread kind of seems like we are shitting on Kenny, but everything said has been spot on. So is the fact that he is the best reciever at OU since 2008 (sans Broyles).
    He was the go to guy in name only. To his credit, we hurt him by putting him in the slot knowing that he was scared to death to get hit. That said, he has been on the outside since Saunders has been back and got better, but was hardly the one to fear. His game against WV was his best day but we had too many dropped balls from him down the stretch against OKst and TCU. To the coaching staffs credit, he does need to be a slot reciever so he can start of the LOS to get free on routes, but he didnt like it. If he is gonna be a catch and fall WR, he needs to get a lot quicker and a lot stronger. Hopefully you are right about him waking up the second day in training camp.

Our best reciever this year has been either Saunders or Brown, take your pick. I still say Stills needs another season, but if he isnt going to commit to getting tougher, stronger and quicker, then he will be wasting his time.

Brennan Clay was a horrible running back until this season (longest run in his career was 13 yards until this season and he always fell down on first contact until this season).

Players develop at difference paces and there are a number of other factors. Metoyer may end up a bust or may may pan out, but I wouldn't write him off until he's been given a lot more time.

He was the go to guy in name only. To his credit, we hurt him by putting him in the slot knowing that he was scared to death to get hit. That said, he has been on the outside since Saunders has been back and got better, but was hardly the one to fear. His game against WV was his best day but we had too many dropped balls from him down the stretch against OKst and TCU. To the coaching staffs credit, he does need to be a slot reciever so he can start of the LOS to get free on routes, but he didnt like it. If he is gonna be a catch and fall WR, he needs to get a lot quicker and a lot stronger. Hopefully you are right about him waking up the second day in training camp.

Our best reciever this year has been either Saunders or Brown, take your pick. I still say Stills needs another season, but if he isnt going to commit to getting tougher, stronger and quicker, then he will be wasting his time.
    maybe, but when it comes down to a TD to win the game ... stills got the look not saunders or brown. brown dropped just as many as stills did towards end of season.

i agree that another season could only help him as a receiver but could hurt him in draft due to bell being QB.

Unless you are a sure fire top 2 or 3 pick at your position you stay. Kenny has been great at OU but will only improve his draft position with another year.

Never fails when a guy might enter the draft early. He doesn't do this, he doesn't do that, I still remember people calling out Peterson's game when he left early too. Easily the most ready NFL prospect Stoops has produced since he has been here. He didn't do this or that well enough with some even arguing we would be better without him.

If the best argument you have is he drops some passes(all receivers do this), he "looks" slow and he is soft. He should definitely go, cause he isn't going to "look" any faster, he will still drop some passes next year and 1 more year won't make him more likely to take hits.

It's also weird that the 3rd best receiver on the team had the most catches, yards and touchdowns. Btw Allen Patrick is better than Adrian Peterson.

Originally Posted by Lyricologist! View Post
    Never fails when a guy might enter the draft early. He doesn't do this, he doesn't do that, I still remember people calling out Peterson's game when he left early too. Easily the most ready NFL prospect Stoops has produced since he has been here. He didn't do this or that well enough with some even arguing we would be better without him.

If the best argument you have is he drops some passes(all receivers do this), he "looks" slow and he is soft. He should definitely go, cause he isn't going to "look" any faster, he will still drop some passes next year and 1 more year won't make him more likely to take hits.

It's also weird that the 3rd best receiver on the team had the most catches, yards and touchdowns. Btw Allen Patrick is better than Adrian Peterson.
    Oh, you want the simple answer? Stills shouldnt go because he is too inconsistent. Its that simple.