Mangino?????

Posted 586 day(s) ago 2929 Views 48 Replies
    vCash

Offense Mangino?????

Would we want him back?

The following users like this post: BoulderSooner

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:23 AM.

He was an awesome OL coach imo. I wouldn't mind having him back.
    3 users like Fanofou's post: Dr Sleep, Preterist, Sieve

vCash

I think this question was asked inside a thread, and most said no.

vCash

nope

Food supplies would diminish over night

vCash

Unless he loses 250lbs he is not healthy to coach anything. Hope he can do that.

Meh. Remember how many linemen he ran off? Remember how bad his offense was in 2001 without Heupel running it?

Heupel is a better OC, IMO. We could use someone like Wickline to man our offensive line, however.

vCash

Will he make the OL better run blockers?

Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Meh. Remember how many linemen he ran off? Remember how bad his offense was in 2001 without Heupel running it?

Heupel is a better OC, IMO. We could use someone like Wickline to man our offensive line, however.
    OU had massive injury problems on offense in 2001. But yes, a lot of offensive linemen were ran off, but then we found out several years later that it was still happening to varying degrees and that is because of how tough Bob Stoops' right-hand man is in Jerry Schmidt as far as pushing players beyond their capabilities both mentally and physically.

A lot of offensive linemen were used to having their way at the prep level and were never mentally tough because they had it so easy physically, but then they got a wake up call at the collegiate level and by Jerry Schmidt and a number of them can't handle it.

One thing Mangino would certainly bring is a valuable addition as an overall game-planner. I wouldn't mind dumping Patton or Kittle in favor of Mangino because he brings more to the uh...table than just offensive line coaching. He was also very good at calling well-timed run plays. OU wasn't a good rushing team statistically in the 2000 season, but when they did call run plays, they were almost always perfectly executed. OU hasn't had that in a very long time.

vCash

Definitely need more of Bob Stoops' friends on staff. Yep.
    2 users like Yatahaze's post: Schnelly, tfoolry

No, Wilson is who we need back.
    2 users like bruthaman's post: CCSooner, soonerintn

Originally Posted by bruthaman View Post
    No, Wilson is who we need back.
    After the 2008 season OU/Florida game and the 2004 season OU/USC game where USC read OU's run plays (those were Wilson's, not Long's) like a book, no thanks.
    The following users like this post: SilksKS

I would love to have Mangino and his tough attitude for our OL.
    The following users like this post: mrSooner

vCash

If mangino could come in as an assistant and work with our OL I'm all for it. But Heupel is doing a good job. He has only held the position of OC for a couple years and he is very young and will only get better.
    3 users like OUrage's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, HudBannon, SilksKS

vCash

Did you say Heupel is doing a good job??? I politely beg to differ, sir.
    The following users like this post: CNCSOONER

vCash

Originally Posted by Spade1000 View Post
    Did you say Heupel is doing a good job??? I politely beg to differ, sir.
    I think Heupel was handed the job way too early. But now that he has it and has done it a couple years I think he is going to do some great things before he is done. I've seen his short comings as OC and admit he's made a number. But it's to late to turn back now. Do you think he will get better? Do you think he can grow into a solid OC?

vCash

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    OU had massive injury problems on offense in 2001. But yes, a lot of offensive linemen were ran off, but then we found out several years later that it was still happening to varying degrees and that is because of how tough Bob Stoops' right-hand man is in Jerry Schmidt as far as pushing players beyond their capabilities both mentally and physically.

A lot of offensive linemen were used to having their way at the prep level and were never mentally tough because they had it so easy physically, but then they got a wake up call at the collegiate level and by Jerry Schmidt and a number of them can't handle it.

One thing Mangino would certainly bring is a valuable addition as an overall game-planner. I wouldn't mind dumping Patton or Kittle in favor of Mangino because he brings more to the uh...table than just offensive line coaching. He was also very good at calling well-timed run plays. OU wasn't a good rushing team statistically in the 2000 season, but when they did call run plays, they were almost always perfectly executed. OU hasn't had that in a very long time.
    He also takes more from the table.
    The following users like this post: OUrage

vCash

Originally Posted by OUrage View Post
    I think Heupel was handed the job way too early. But now that he has it and has done it a couple years I think he is going to do some great things before he is done. I've seen his short comings as OC and admit he's made a number. But it's to late to turn back now. Do you think he will get better? Do you think he can grow into a solid OC?
    Josh has potential, and that is very evident... but the jury is still out on him as a play-caller. I am not a fan of what i think he is or will become as an OC (stylistically). But , now that LJ is leaving, and a new year is forthcoming, I will give it one more year before I go grab the pitchforks and torches.

How was he an awesome O-Line coach? We couldn't run the damn ball. Against anyone. The offense in 2001 was horrible.

vCash

jury is still out on Josh but he has should remarkable improvement from year one to year two calling plays. I'm sure he'll be better next year too. At this point mangino would be a help as position coach but not OC.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

vCash

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    How was he an awesome O-Line coach? We couldn't run the damn ball. Against anyone. The offense in 2001 was horrible.
    not sure if you remember but 2001 wasn't his last coaching stint.
    The following users like this post: Yatahaze

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    It probably had something to do with an inexperienced and injury plagued offensive line and no threat in the passing game in the 2nd half of the season when Jason White was finished for the season and Nate Hybl was playing with a broken shoulder on his throwing side. Not a good situation all around.
    2 users like zcaa0g's post: Dr Sleep, Salt City Sooner

vCash

Good coach, good dude would be a welcome addition.
    2 users like 100%sooner's post: boomermagic, mrSooner

I love the way Mark Mangino created a running game in the spread offense. You don't need to line up in the I or the wishbone formation to run the ball effectively. Would love to see how he implements a ground game with any of the quarterbacks on campus.

Love how his O line blacked and I love his play calling at Kansas. ANy O lineman that leaves because a coach is a little mean is to big a **** anyway!

hell yes. Dude took Kansas to an Orange Bowl victory. Kansas. We need better OL coaching. Mangino >>>> Kittle.

We are much much less predictable on play calling than with Long and Wilson calling the plays.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:22 AM.

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Lsu and USC were on long. He was the problem there.

Wilson didn't call a perfect game in 2008, but if Murray plays, we win. Wilson was the best OC, by far, under stoops.
    Wilson was the offensive line coach and run-game coordinator and that is the aspect that USC read like a book as what OU's offensive line was doing was tipping of USC. Wilson's goal line play-calling in the Florida game was the worst sequence of offensive playcalls in college football history.

vCash

sure if you want a coach that has to use a towel to wipe his ass.

vCash

Mangino took KU... to the Orange bowl, something that has never or will ever happen again! Let that sink in... KU! Yes, he is a damn good coach!
    2 users like SoonerSteve1's post: HudBannon, mrSooner

vCash

If Stoops could bring him back as an OL coach, I'm all for it. Just don't know if Mangino would do it.

vCash

Does Mangino have any eligibility? He alone could man the left side of the OL.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:20 AM.

vCash

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    USC knew if AD was in the game, 9 times out of 10 we were running. USC knew if KeJuan Jones was in the game, White wouldn't throw to him nor the TE. They played a cover 2 and paid little attention to any check down or anything out of the backfield. No need to because Chuck long wouldn't call it and White would never see it.

AD or Kejuan on a swing pass, a play action to the TE in the flat or anything that required their LBs do anything but man their gap would have slowed them down a step. That is all on Chuck Long. Doesn't matter if you are a run game coordinator if your OC calls a shitty game and can't make adjustments.

Long had a full complement of players. Wilson did not. Murray makes a huge difference against Florida.

Refusing to put points on the board against florida is on Stoops.
    And receivers dropping passes.

Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

The offense got steadily worse every week Mangino was the OC. Bottomed at '01 Bedlam.

After the 2008 season OU/Florida game and the 2004 season OU/USC game where USC read OU's run plays (those were Wilson's, not Long's) like a book, no thanks.
    Wilson was the best OC OU has had since Barry Switzer himself.

Originally Posted by sportsproducer View Post
    I love the way Mark Mangino created a running game in the spread offense. You don't need to line up in the I or the wishbone formation to run the ball effectively. Would love to see how he implements a ground game with any of the quarterbacks on campus.

Love how his O line blacked and I love his play calling at Kansas. ANy O lineman that leaves because a coach is a little mean is to big a **** anyway!
    Too bad he didn't do it at OU.

Wilson was the offensive line coach and run-game coordinator and that is the aspect that USC read like a book as what OU's offensive line was doing was tipping of USC. Wilson's goal line play-calling in the Florida game was the worst sequence of offensive playcalls in college football history.
    Was that you I heard in the stands behind me saying, "call the touchdown play"?
    The following users like this post: Yatahaze

vCash

KU lost a close game to Georgia Tech in the 1948 Orange Bowl. Coach I think was J.V. Sikes and their QB was Red Hogan from KC. KU may have tied OU for the Big 6 Title in'48. Mangino did a great jon but it wasn't a 1st for KU in the OB. And the J-Hawks lost a Sugar Bowl game cause they had 12 men on the field on goal line stand. But they have had a lot of crappy teams, years and coaches. Should have punished Mark instead of running him off. Both would be the better for it cause I don't think fat Charlie will around in another couple of years.
    Would rather have a young up and comer on the staff instead of a retread.

Mangino?????

Who cares if he's fat? Seriously?

Originally Posted by ibleedcrimson View Post
    New around here? Why would anybody miss a chance to be a smartass?

vCash

Originally Posted by Concussed View Post
    Would we want him back?
    yes

Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    Was that you I heard in the stands behind me saying, "call the touchdown play"?
    Dumb post. Try again.

Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    Wilson was the best OC OU has had since Barry Switzer himself.
    LOL!!! He had the best QB in Sooner history.

Originally Posted by ibleedcrimson View Post
    I do. With that large amount of fat, he could drop dead anyday. He would have to lose at least a hundred to come back and coach on the OU staff

vCash

Originally Posted by MichaelJackson'sNose View Post
    I do. With that large amount of fat, he could drop dead anyday. He would have to lose at least a hundred to come back and coach on the OU staff
    This is bullshit.

Anybody can drop dead any day...not just fat people.

Considering Bob Stoops family history, he is much more likely...but considering that for a coaching hire is plain stupid.

please bring the man back. he loves OU or his time at OU. He has no problem living in Norman as long as Stoops is the coach. and yes, he is a darn good coach.

KU to Orange bowl and dam it It won the damm trophy. He is wonderful man.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:17 AM.