Fiscal Cliff ... Who is Compromising? (Guess who is NOT)

Posted 680 day(s) ago by ltsooner9647 Views 273 Replies
Page 4 of 6 2 3 4 5 6

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    Losers!

We wait till the last minute, and like I said, a cobbled together, half asses plan is put into place...

Payroll taxes going back up - everyone gets an increase
    Taxes raised on singles over 400k - couples over 450k
    Estate tax up to 40% over 5 mill
    Cap gains up to 20%
    Extend unemployment by a year
    Plus the Medicare doc fix, AMT, renewable energy tax credit

What was not done...
    Nothing on the spending limit
    Nothing on spending decreases - delays that for 2 months - I want to get this straight...they wait till the last minute to work on the plan...and now decide it will take two months to figure out the spending cuts to make...half of which are supposed to come from the military...

Losers!
    The Dems love half-assed plans. Just look at the the wonderful Stimulus package they rammed down our throats that was terrible.
    And lets not forget Obamacare. Hell, lets not even read it, just pass it. All this so they can run back to the media and claim what they have done for the American people and lapdog liberals lick it up. Meanwhile you have the most unpresidential president trying to play bully like no president has ever done.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Yep, but it is the only thing we got. The house couldn't get it together and present a bill that Reid would allow to the floor of the Senate for debate.

That's more accurate. Reid disgusts me.
    They couldn't get a bill together period. I don't care if it would have been debated or not. The VP had to save the day by negotiating with turtle man. The House was busy at their lobbyist parties.
    The following users like this post: Yatahaze

One estimate showed the bill includes $620 billion in tax hikes and $15 billion is spending cuts.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    They couldn't get a bill together period. I don't care if it would have been debated or not. The VP had to save the day by negotiating with turtle man. The House was busy at their lobbyist parties.
    Don't you mean their Klan meetings? Or their parties where they were throwing around poor jokes?

You really can't be as ignorant as youre acting

Originally Posted by Romulus View Post

I can't quite tell. OOO is a sharp guy--I've sat across a table from him and talked for an extended period of time. I can't tell if he's trolling or just naive.

Why you mad at congress? They're not the ones who drafted and passed this total bullshit bill that doesn't fix a damn thing for this country.
    What happened to the dollar for cuts for every tax dollar raised?
    If you really want congress to act, don't be surprised if they do the right thing and let this country go off the cliff.
    Congress is made up of both the House and Senate... Congress is supposed to draft, pass and present bills to the President for his signature....or at least that's the way it was written.

One estimate showed the bill includes $620 billion in tax hikes and $15 billion is spending cuts.
    Amazing isn't it? We will likely never see true spending cuts. Once the tax increases are in place the Dems will fight any true reforms in spending.

Originally Posted by SoonerSean03 View Post
    Amazing isn't it? We will likely never see true spending cuts. Once the tax increases are in place the Dems will fight any true reforms in spending.
    Yep. Ultimately, there will only be tax hikes and more spending. There will not be any cuts that will bear any significance. Any mention of spending cuts will be to appease the ears of the public.

The spending cuts were delayed two months. The democrats wanted to delay them a year but lost on that issue. The pubs now have leverage to negotiate the cuts, if Obama and the democrats want the debt ceiling raised.

I'm not sure Republicans have any leverage. They just delayed sequestration. If they don't come to an agreement in two months then huge cuts hit defense - which is a Republican no-no. So they will end up caving to save defense spending. My guess is we have a bunch of creative math ie "we had intended to spend $500 billion to go to Mars. But now we won't. So we just saved $500 billion".

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    Congress is made up of both the House and Senate... Congress is supposed to draft, pass and present bills to the President for his signature....or at least that's the way it was written.
    No duh. But rarely that is what happens.

Re: Fiscal Cliff ... Who is Compromising? (Guess who is NOT)

I can't quite tell. OOO is a sharp guy--I've sat across a table from him and talked for an extended period of time. I can't tell if he's trolling or just naive.
    I am looking for evidence of a House bill that passed to extend tax cuts and cut spending instead of allowing sequestration to occur. The best thing about this is I don't even have to troll, the House Republicans are doing a fine job trolling all of us.

I want spending cuts to happen I want a lot of defense cuts and some social cuts too. But no one has gotten anything together except the Senate and Executive Branch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Don't you mean their Klan meetings? Or their parties where they were throwing around poor jokes?

No, I mean they didn't want to work on NYE. Probably at parties for their patrons.

Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    No duh. But rarely that is what happens.
    Yet another reason to be mad at Congress.
    The following users like this post: Tundra

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    I am looking for evidence of a House bill that passed to extend tax cuts and cut spending instead of allowing sequestration to occur. The best thing about this is I don't even have to troll, the House Republicans are doing a fine job trolling all of us.

I want spending cuts to happen I want a lot of defense cuts and some social cuts too. But no one has gotten anything together except the Senate and Executive Branch.

Why would they draft and pass something that Reid and Obama have clearly said they will never allow to pass?

Why would they draft and pass something that Reid and Obama have clearly said they will never allow to pass?
    Exactly

The "fiscal cliff" deal that was designed to save money actually includes $330.3 billion in new spending over the next decade, according to the official estimate the Congressional Budget Office released Tuesday afternoon.
    CBO said the bill contains about $25.1 billion in new cuts, but those are swamped by the new spending on extended unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless and other new refundable tax credits that President Obama fought for.
    Of those cuts, only $2 billion are scheduled to take effect in 2013.
    And CBO also warned that some of the cuts Congress is counting are from programs on which CBO never expected the money to be spent anyway — such as cuts to the Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan, which was part of Mr. Obama's health care law.
    All told, the bill deepens the deficit by nearly $4 trillion over the next decade, when the new tax cuts and spending are combined.
    The bill also delays by two months the automatic spending cuts slated to take effect Wednesday, with a promise to reduce spending in the future to cover for them.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...#ixzz2GkiTQnM3
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

**** the republicans and **** this Congress. The country is ****ed with the "leadership" it has now.

Sequestration should happen...the Pubs won't let it.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Sequestration should happen...the Pubs won't let it.
    Sequestration = Recession

Thank goodness we have heroes in Congress and the Executive branch that have been able to use tax hikes to raise less than 4% of the budget deficit. Probably a lot less after that 62 billion (or 620 over 10 years) is loopholed, offshored, written off, etc. The country is saved!

But hey, the dogmatists got their tax increases. Thank. Goodness.

Wait, what's that? We are also increasing spending with this "bill?" Indeed, elections have consequences. This is what happens when you re-elect the most irresponsible fiscal leader in history. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

The balloon is going to burst at some point.

Just saw the Washington Times article. Are we at all surprised? This President doesn't want to cut spending. He and the Dems need to feed their base. They won't cut welfare when the welfare rolls are swollen with democrat voters. They won't work to make SS and Medicare better bc they prefer to frighten seniors into voting for them.

What a joke. And McConnell went along for the ride. I wouldn't be surprised if the House guts it.
    The following users like this post: ltsooner

Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
    Thank goodness we have heroes in Congress and the Executive branch that have been able to use tax hikes to raise less than 4% of the budget deficit. Probably a lot less after that 62 billion (or 620 over 10 years) is loopholed, offshored, written off, etc. The country is saved!

But hey, the dogmatists got their tax increases. Thank. Goodness.

Wait, what's that? We are also increasing spending with this "bill?" Indeed, elections have consequences. This is what happens when you re-elect the most irresponsible fiscal leader in history. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

The balloon is going to burst at some point.
    Sad, isn't it...

But to be fair, I wouldn't be raising any taxes in our current economic climate...

Sad, isn't it...

But to be fair, I wouldn't be raising any taxes in our current economic climate...
    I agree. That's what I mean, it does essentially nothing to lower the deficit. It's merely a political win.

I agree. That's what I mean, it does essentially nothing to lower the deficit. It's merely a political win.
    Smoke and mirrors

It also does nothing to promote growth.

It also does nothing to promote growth.
    My biggest concern...

Smoke and mirrors
    But isn't that what governance in America has come to? Well, I suppose its "been there" for a long time.

None of this is really surprising. In a few short weeks we get to see more great leadership in action on the same things, just substitute debt ceiling for taxing the so called wealthy.

America, we have a problem. And we'll just keep electing it.

Originally Posted by QRISooner View Post
    But isn't that what governance in America has come to? Well, I suppose its "been there" for a long time.

None of this is really surprising. In a few short weeks we get to see more great leadership in action on the same things, just substitute debt ceiling for taxing the so called wealthy.

America, we have a problem. And we'll just keep electing it.

And people will keep on electing it because they pay attention only to the true problems in this country like free birth control, gay marriage, mythical wars on women, the rich not paying a "fair" share, scary looking guns, etc., etc., etc. They'll keep accepting/ignoring the Patriot Acts, the NDAA, TSA, multibillion dollar server farms to store everything single thing we do, anything else that limits our liberty as long as it's perceived to keep us "safe" from all meanies and crazies in this world, trillion dollar deficits, out of control spending, zero real solutions to any problem, etc.

We're getting the leadership and government we deserve and it's complete ****ing shit at every level.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    [/b]

And people will keep on electing it because they pay attention only to the true problems in this country like free birth control, gay marriage, mythical wars on women, the rich not paying a "fair" share, scary looking guns, etc., etc., etc. They'll keep accepting/ignoring the Patriot Acts, the NDAA, TSA, multibillion dollar server farms to store everything single thing we do, anything else that limits our liberty as long as it's perceived to keep us "safe" from all meanies and crazies in this world, trillion dollar deficits, out of control spending, zero real solutions to any problem, etc.

We're getting the leadership and government we deserve and it's complete ****ing shit at every level.
    All very true. My cynicism for our government has hit a new low. That was pretty difficult because it was already very near absolute zero.

Ehh, **** them all. They're not taking baseball away, so I'll just focus on that. Of course I'll be clinging to my guns and bible the whole while....

Originally Posted by QRISooner View Post
    Ehh, **** them all. They're not taking baseball away, so I'll just focus on that. Of course I'll be clinging to my guns and bible the whole while....
    I heard it's all Bush's fault that Josh is an Angel now....
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Originally Posted by ThievingMagpie View Post
    I heard it's all Bush's fault that Josh is an Angel now....
    I really did laugh out loud. Beltre thinks its funny too, but don't touch his head......

Sorry to get this off topic. Lets get back on the fun subject of how wonderful our federal government is.
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

We need to go over the cliff... Spending cuts need to be part of this now, not later.
    The following users like this post: SoonerLibertarian

We have been over the fiscal cliff for decades. This didn't stop it, or even slow it down. If any thing this deal will probably end up making the falling of the cliff come faster.

Well, I'm not even sure why the repubs even put up a fight. They gave the dems just about everything they wanted in raising taxes, gave up any significant spending cuts and eliminated the payroll tax so taxes go up on 77% of households. Fine job they did the gutless shut bags.

Can't wait to see the repubs stand up for the 2nd amendment in the next few months.

It's time to end the Republican Party and find a new one.

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    Well, I'm not even sure why the repubs even put up a fight. They gave the dems just about everything they wanted in raising taxes, gave up any significant spending cuts and eliminated the payroll tax so taxes go up on 77% of households. Fine job they did the gutless shut bags.

Can't wait to see the repubs stand up for the 2nd amendment in the next few months.

It's time to end the Republican Party and find a new one.
    There are two major Republicans in the Senate that voted no, Marco Rubio and Rand Paul. They deserve some credit for standing against a so obviously disproportionate bill. They also both could be setting the groundwork for Presidential runs and could theoretically and fairly easily compromise the ticket.

Cantor may be making a play for Boehner's job.

Cantor may be making a play for Boehner's job.
    Hopefully not. Bring back Newt.

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Hopefully not. Bring back Newt.
    Anything but that. I can't stand Newt.

Anything but that. I can't stand Newt.
    Someone with balls. Maybe Scott Walker.

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Someone with balls. Maybe Scott Walker.
    I'm voting for me. Unfortunately, I don't have a vote.

I'm voting for me. Unfortunately, I don't have a vote.
    What happened to Ryan? Mr. I Didn't Really Want To Be President sort of buried him somewhere.

It's amazing that after all this time and AFTER 12/31 we end up with this POS bill. It's what our government has become. The largest tax increase in 40 years. No spending cuts. And trillions in NEW spending added to the deficit.

Makes perfect sense. Obama and Reid won't be happy until they grind this country into the ground.

If I was in the house I think I'd recommend that Republicans vote present and force the Dems to pass this shit. Not that it would matter - their voters are primarily mindless automatons.

@CongHuelskamp Headed to floor. Will vote no. It's time for solutions, not another last-minute deal that increases taxes, spending

Cantor votes no. The bill passes. Cantor's coming for Boehner's job.

Agreed.

How did Ryan vote?

Agreed.

How did Ryan vote?
    He voted for it.

The pussies caved. Gutless ****s.

Good. That spineless rino boehner needs to get the **** out of the speakers seat, especially with gun rights being attacked in the next session. He'd give the anti-gunners everything they want.

As much as I hate Pelosi, at least that **** had the balls to stand her ground for her party. Something boehner has never done.

@theGrudgeRetort
    So a bunch of Democrats just voted to extend the Bush tax cuts that "got us into this mess in the 1st place." Cue media...

@theGrudgeRetort
    So a bunch of Democrats just voted to extend the Bush tax cuts that "got us into this mess in the 1st place." Cue media...
    The Clinton tax rates were waaaayyy too harsh for the American public.