Connecticut School Shooting

Posted 496 day(s) ago by willie20801 Views 560 Replies
Results 551 to 561 of 561
Page 12 of 12 2 10 11 12
  1. #551
    Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I do not understand our mental health system as far as what the procedures are, etc. but I find it amazing some of the people they let go out into the street. I saw a guy several months ago who still had a band around his wrist from whatever hospital he was in. He was walking around putting things in trees, like picking up trash and putting it in trees. I saw him later that day and there was a cop in the area and I pointed him out thinking he might have escaped the mental hospital but the cop said no, they just let them go. I saw no way this guy would be able to care for himself on his own. He was likely no threat to anyone but himself, or maybe he was, but I cannot imagine how he could have fed himself. I have no problem with taxpayers paying for someone like this to stay in a safe place.
    If they aren't a danger to themself or to someone else--and imminent danger, not something that could kill them in a few weeks--people are pretty much allowed to do as they will.

  2. #552
    freeeewilly66's Avatar
    Posts
    2,374
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    OKC

    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    If they aren't a danger to themself or to someone else--and imminent danger, not something that could kill them in a few weeks--people are pretty much allowed to do as they will.
    This is the tricky part about trying to keep guns out of mentally ill people in the future. I don't think it's controversial to say that psychopaths and sociopaths should not be allowed to purchase deadly firearms, how would a firearms dealer now? It's not exactly something a psychiatrist can disclose without violating doctor-patient confidentiality. If they are deemed to be dangerous, then the psychiatrist would be going straight to the authorities anyway, not just saying "well let's just make sure no one at Academy sells this guy a gun".

  3. #553
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    8,597
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    http://news.yahoo.com/fla-teen-arres...021634927.html

    http://news.yahoo.com/dozens-mich-sc...195523483.html

    More and more stories about school threats seem to be coming out in the last several days.

  4. #554

    Connecticut School Shooting

    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/fla-teen-arres...021634927.html

    http://news.yahoo.com/dozens-mich-sc...195523483.html

    More and more stories about school threats seem to be coming out in the last several days.
    There have been 3 or 4 in Oklahoma that I know of. Part of it is hyper-vigilance right now by schools, and the other part is the Heather's effect.

  5. #555

    Connecticut School Shooting

    Originally Posted by freeeewilly66 View Post
    This is the tricky part about trying to keep guns out of mentally ill people in the future. I don't think it's controversial to say that psychopaths and sociopaths should not be allowed to purchase deadly firearms, how would a firearms dealer now? It's not exactly something a psychiatrist can disclose without violating doctor-patient confidentiality. If they are deemed to be dangerous, then the psychiatrist would be going straight to the authorities anyway, not just saying "well let's just make sure no one at Academy sells this guy a gun".
    Here's your caveat. If we are to report any perceived risk even without the danger of imminent harm, many of those people would not seek help. Another truth for you is that psychopaths are nowhere near as dangerous as sociopaths--and sociopaths are almost always smart enough to not say something that will get them in trouble. The truth is 'crazy' people are nowhere near as dangerous as some of the 'sane' people I see. It's not even close. Someone snapping is much less risk than a calculating mind.

  6. #556
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    8,597
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    There have been 3 or 4 in Oklahoma that I know of. Part of it is hyper-vigilance right now by schools, and the other part is the Heather's effect.
    I don't know what that is.

  7. #557

    Connecticut School Shooting

    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't know what that is.
    Movie called Heathers. Teen suicide triggers tons of other copycat suicides. Black comedy. 90s movie I think.

  8. #558
    McRib's Avatar
    Posts
    23,086
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    vCash
    15276

    Connecticut School Shooting

    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Movie called Heathers. Teen suicide triggers tons of other copycat suicides. Black comedy. 90s movie I think.
    1988. Winona Ryder & Christian Slater. GREAT movie.
    The following users like this post: oucub23


  9. #559
    Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    1988. Winona Ryder & Christian Slater. GREAT movie.
    Ya it is!

  10. #560
    traxx's Avatar
    Posts
    8,597
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    In a DeLorean in 1985

    Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Movie called Heathers. Teen suicide triggers tons of other copycat suicides. Black comedy. 90s movie I think.
    Oh yeah. I used to have that movie on VHS. I thought Heather's effect was some clinical term that I didn't know.
    The following users like this post: oucub23


  11. #561

Similar Threads

  1. Colorado School Shooting
    By usaosooner in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: December 18th, 2013, 06:12 AM
  2. School shooting in Connecticut!!!!!!!
    By bruthaman in forum ThunderDome
    Replies: 454
    Last Post: January 25th, 2013, 08:53 AM
  3. Replies: 124
    Last Post: December 18th, 2012, 06:53 PM