Connecticut School Shooting

Posted 588 day(s) ago by willie21355 Views 560 Replies
Page 8 of 12 6 7 8 9 10
    Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't think Aurora meant that as her point of view. I think she was deriding that as the typical American pov.
    For clarification that was more a rhetorical question and not actually a question for her. As I don't think that view is the typical American pov.

Also, as parents of 4th and 7th graders it saddens me to try to feel and understand what those parents are going through right now....I don't think it is something you can really fathom unless you are actually in those shoes.....Our hearts and prayers go out to them.

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerArtillery View Post
    I don't think it is something you can really fathom unless you are actually in those shoes.
    Exactly. And it may sound selfish, but I hope I never have to learn how they feel.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

vCash

A music teacher managed to save 15 children during Friday's shooting massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut by barricading them into a closet, while gunman Adam Lanza, 20, stood outside screaming 'Let me in! Let me in!'

Maryrose Kristopik has been hailed a 'hero' by parents after herding the children to safety in a closet and barricading the door to prevent Lanza from entering.

An unnamed mother, in her 40s, whose nine-year-old son was among the children said: 'I want to thank her. She saved their lives.

'The shooter kept banging on the door screaming: "Let me in! Let me in!" but he didn't get in.
    'Now I have to explain to my nine-year-old son that his friends won't be coming back. How am I supposed to do that?'
    Brenda Lebinski said her eight-year-old daughter is safe thanks to the teacher's decision to move all kids into a closet when a gunman had entered the building.
    'My daughter's teacher is my hero,' Lebinski said. 'She locked all the kids in a closet and that saved their lives.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ter-mailonline
    2 users like usaosooner's post: fdubzou, freeeewilly66

vCash

Originally Posted by The View Post
    What kind of surname is Lanza, anyway?

Sounds Portuguese.
    3 users like Nuked's post: Clark W. Griswold, SoCaliSooner, The Baconator®

vCash

So am I the **** or is my son the **** because I/we have him in counseling for ocd/adhd amongst other issues he has? Now, if we are playing outside and he falls and scrapes a knee or hand I will tell him to rub some dirt on it and shake the **** off of him....I think your generalized statement is not accurate.

As to this story and it is now breaking that the shooter may have had mental issues...the way all the news has broken throughout the day...I think it is pretty stupid to jump to conclusions that his parents weren't aware of and concerned about his issues and did nothing to help their child.
    Wrong, I am saying there is a shaming stigma surrounding mental illness and a quickness to jump to conclusions someone is just pretending or not really emotionally unstable, we kind of shy away...especially with men from connecting the emotional problems and harms to their problems and behaviors..

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III
    vCash

So am I the **** or is my son the **** because I/we have him in counseling for ocd/adhd amongst other issues he has? Now, if we are playing outside and he falls and scrapes a knee or hand I will tell him to rub some dirt on it and shake the **** off of him....I think your generalized statement is not accurate.

As to this story and it is now breaking that the shooter may have had mental issues...the way all the news has broken throughout the day...I think it is pretty stupid to jump to conclusions that his parents weren't aware of and concerned about his issues and did nothing to help their child.
    I think the only issue I have concern with is that it's being reported that he used his mothers guns (more props to a northeastern teacher owning guns) and I think it was her responsibility, not the city's...states...or fed's...to make sure she had them properly secured to keep them out of the reach of her troubled kid.

I am as gun loving as you but I think there is a difference between behavioral stuff and mental issues. Your kid seems more behavioural than mental and I am confident that if I was in your situation I would keep my stuff locked up until I know for sure either way. That's not hacking on gun rights, parenting, or behavioural/mental issues...that's just common sense.
    8 users like SoCaliSooner's post: ArbySooner, Aurora, fdubzou, jdmt37, kssooner, Sieve, SoonerArtillery, thurman murman

vCash

Originally Posted by Nuked View Post
    Hold me closer Tony Danza.....
    The following users like this post: Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    I think the only issue I have concern with is that it's being reported that he used his mothers guns (more props to a northeastern teacher owning guns) and I think it was her responsibility, not the city's...states...or fed's...to make sure she had them properly secured to keep them out of the reach of her troubled kid.

I am as gun loving as you but I think there is a difference between behavioral stuff and mental issues. Your kid seems more behavioural than mental and I am confident that if I was in your situation I would keep my stuff locked up until I know for sure either way. That's not hacking on gun rights, parenting, or behavioural/mental issues...that's just common sense.
    I completely agree....and I love my gun safe!

vCash

Well folks, I'm off to pick up my kids. I'll give them extra hugs and kisses tonight.

Talk to y'all later.
    5 users like traxx's post: Aurora, Bob Loblaw, fdubzou, pillmanj, Sooner209

vCash

I am out and for anyone who thinks Americans embrace and help the mentally ill and bullied young people with their emotions in the right way, well I am sorry I see that as one of this nations failures...

I have witnessed quite a good number of you here talk down about suicide, kids being pussies for being bullied and I can promise you are not alone and probably don't just say it here... You may not say it to people but I bet you are not trying to help and prevent it. Most people never think twice or blink about an issues unless it directly effects them. Most people don't care about guns until someone dies by one, most people never give a shit about kids dying all over the world every day... Most people are just busy in their lives and worried about the things in front of them. I am guilty of that a lot as well.

In closing I am truly sad for the dead children, their communities, families, friends, and everyone who witnessed this event... Just like I feel true sadness for everyone who dies at the hands of war, especially children,..I am also sad for the mentally ill and depressed people who suffer in silence.

Have a good weekend- I am out for a while

vCash

I completely agree....and I love my gun safe!
    I would love to hold Kitty Chesney...really really tight.
    The following users like this post: SoonerArtillery

vCash

just heard that the shooter woke up this morning and killed his mother and then went to the school. The shooter's father is alive and talking with the FBI in NJ. His brother and girlfriend were just coming home when it was being surround with cops. The shooter somehow had his brother's id on him which is why his brother was identified as the shooter.

vCash

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    just heard that the shooter woke up this morning and killed his mother and then went to the school. The shooter's father is alive and talking with the FBI in NJ. His brother and girlfriend were just coming home when it was being surround with cops. The shooter somehow had his brother's id on him which is why his brother was identified as the shooter.
    So, ban autism?
    The following users like this post: OUEverest

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    The only thing worse is Canadians with internet access.
    Originally Posted by Soonermarty View Post
    Screw you, heartless ****! GTFO

No thanks...!!!

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Your statement was inflammatory.

Edit:
    Your statement could have been construed as inflammatory. Or just goofy, which is probably how you meant it.

Nope, this is something that needs to be fixed the whole planet has less of these than the us

vCash

I don't have children, so i can't imagine what they're going through. This absolutely breaks my hardned heart to pieces. My prayers, and tears go out to all involved.

2 users like jdmt37's post: Clark W. Griswold, McRib

vCash

Originally Posted by jdmt37 View Post
    I don't have children, so i can't imagine what they're going through. This absolutely breaks my hardned heart to pieces. My prayers, and tears go out to all involved.

You're crying?

vCash

@NBCNews UPDATE Weapons used in shooting were legally purchased and registered to gunmans mother, law enforcement officials tell NBC News"

vCash

Originally Posted by Tug Medick View Post
    You're crying?
    You're not human, if this doesn't pull at your heart strings.
    2 users like jdmt37's post: Bob Loblaw, The Baconator®

vCash

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    With him being 20 maybe he used it as a fake ID???

Interesting fact brought up on NPR on the way home. Mass shootings have been going on for decades. 100-150 people die each year in mass shooting. 15,000 die in single victim homicides each year.

vCash

Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Interesting fact brought up on NPR on the way home. Mass shootings have been going on for decades. 100-150 people die each year in mass shooting. 15,000 die in single victim homicides each year.
    Well, crap...since you put it that way.....I guess there's no reason to change anything.

vCash

Originally Posted by sweetnsourpoke View Post
    Well, crap...since you put it that way.....I guess there's no reason to change anything.
    Wow, you really read something into that post that I didn't.
    The following users like this post: brokebacksooner

vCash

I'm a little confused. They're showing video of Ryan Lanza, the shooter's brother, and he was being led inside by police in handcuffs. But they're just questioning him and don't consider him to be a suspect. Why would they handcuff him then?

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Hardworker.

Would hire.
    The following users like this post: Tug Medick

A knife-wielding man injured 22 children and one adult outside a primary school in central China as students were arriving for classes Friday, police said, the latest in a series of periodic rampage attacks at Chinese schools and kindergartens.
    The attack in the Henan province village of Chengping happened shortly before 8 a.m., said a police officer from Guangshan county, where the village is located.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2F4b9384y

Good point, but they usually aren't kindergartners.

vCash

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    @NBCNews UPDATE Weapons used in shooting were legally purchased and registered to gunmans mother, law enforcement officials tell NBC News"
    One thing I heard, since you posted the assault weapon twitter earlier, is that the rifle was in the trunk of the car he drove to the school and not used in the killing. The handguns were found in the school.

Originally Posted by Sooner209 View Post
    With him being 20 maybe he used it as a fake ID???
    probably so.
    The following users like this post: usaosooner

vCash

Originally Posted by URNotserious View Post
    Hardworker.

Would hire.
    Agree. That's a journalist doing their job ... And sometimes it's very difficult.
    The following users like this post: Tug Medick

vCash

Ryan Lanza in New Jersey

What's he getting arrested for?

vCash

I don't understand why he's in handcuffs unless they thought he was a suspect?

vCash

Originally Posted by freeeewilly66 View Post
    Dude needs to lawyer up. His name may be forever tarnished due to police negligence.

vCash

Last edited by Soonerpsycho; December 14th, 2012 at 09:07 PM.

vCash

wow town had 1 murder in the last decade before today

I'm a little confused. They're showing video of Ryan Lanza, the shooter's brother, and he was being led inside by police in handcuffs. But they're just questioning him and don't consider him to be a suspect. Why would they handcuff him then?
    Yeah, I don't get this either. From everything I've read, he was never under arrest. So why the handcuffs?

Not sure when that was taken but maybe because his name is Ryan Lanza and the shooter had ID on him saying he was Ryan Lanza. Could be just confusion. When you think someone might be armed and/or dangerous I think you take extra precaution.

vCash

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    At least the pos is dead.
    That selfish **** should have just killed himself first.

This is incredibly heartbreaking. just awful. sickening.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Not sure when that was taken but maybe because his name is Ryan Lanza and the shooter had ID on him saying he was Ryan Lanza. Could be just confusion. When you think someone might be armed and/or dangerous I think you take extra precaution.
    Yeah, it doesn't take a whole lot of brain cells to figure out it wasn't him but whatever.. I think cops should handcuff everyone they question just to make it easier.

Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't take a whole lot of brain cells to figure out it wasn't him but whatever.. I think cops should handcuff everyone they question just to make it easier.
    This wasn't a normal incident for sure and who is to know if there weren't multiple shooters? I'm sure they were taking extreme precautions.

I have a friend on FB asking if parents would tell their 5 year old about what happened. Some people are saying yes and teach them how to protect themselves. A child's innocence doesn't last nearly as long as it did when we were kids. Unless the event directly impacted the child why would you want to spoil that? 8-9yr old I could see this but a 5yr old?

vCash

Emotions got the best of everybody today. Not a big deal imo. Looks like the dude knew, and was cooperative.

Re: Connecticut School Shooting

I have a friend on FB asking if parents would tell their 5 year old about what happened. Some people are saying yes and teach them how to protect themselves. A child's innocence doesn't last nearly as long as it did when we were kids. Unless the event directly impacted the child why would you want to spoil that? 8-9yr old I could see this but a 5yr old?
    My wife and I were discussing this a little bit ago. We're not going to do it. When I b picked them up earlier they said that they practiced their lock down drill at school today. They described everything they did and didn't seem freaked out. Apparently they teach them that they need to protect them against strangers. If our kids were older, I'd sit down and have a long talk, but noow I don't think they'd understand.

vCash

I have a 6 year old and I will not let her see any of this. It will just scare her and I don't want her to be scared to go to school. If she brings it up after hearing about it at school or some other place, I will talk to her about it but it won't be on the tv at all at home when she is awake.
    3 users like kssooner's post: Julz, McRib, ngintunr

vCash

No. NO.

Not telling ours.

I got an email from a teacher today and she didn't even mention it. Just a note about the work they'll be doing next week. So I think we're taking that approach - everything is as normal as we can make it.

Such an awful day.

vCash

It's going to be terrible the next few days as we learn who the kids were, see their pictures, hear their stories. As I heard someone say on TV, most if not all these kids were no doubt believing that Santa was coming to their house in 11 days and today the devil came to their school. As a parent it just shreds your heart.

vCash

I was actually gonna start a thread & ask how you guys are dealing with this relative to your children... Telling them, not telling them, how are you making the decision (age, development, already fearful or shy, etc)...

My niece & I had a long convo about it. She's a teen so not fearful, but confused about how someone could "harbor such evil in their hearts and hurt little baby kids". I remember having a similar convo with her after 9/11 (though she was little) and even the more recent shootings, but these kids are her baby cousins ages. It's just hard for everyone to understand.