Thumb drives

Posted 738 day(s) ago 594 Views 15 Replies

Thumb drives

I have a 16GB thumb drive that I just bought. It has 14.8 GB of free space on it. I'm trying to put a 6GB movie on it from my computer and it won't do it because it says the file is too large. Whats up with that? Anything I can do?

Get a bigger thumb drive
    The following users like this post: Gary Manilow

Sounds fishy, maybe try formatting it the drive?

Is it a Scandisk? They usually preload shit in a partition on the drive. Have you tried formatting it? If you're on windows make sure it's not set up for 'ReadyBoost'.

Thumb drives have a limited number of rewrites, as with solid state drives... shouldn't be a problem with a new one, unless its defective.

Originally Posted by AZ Sooner View Post
    Get a bigger thumb drive
    Why would I need a bigger drive if I have over 14 GB of free space and only moving a 6 GB file? Anyways I'm going to redownload it then see if I can edit it into smaller files.

Originally Posted by Nuked View Post
    Is it a Scandisk? They usually preload shit in a partition on the drive. Have you tried formatting it? If you're on windows make sure it's not set up for 'ReadyBoost'.

Thumb drives have a limited number of rewrites, as with solid state drives... shouldn't be a problem with a new one, unless its defective.
    Yes it is. I'll check it out.

Are you on a Mac? If so you'll have to format it for Mac to put large files on it.

On Windows. I reformatted it and deleted the old file and downloading another one now. Will try it later to see if that works. I hard you can watch movies from your kindle HD on a TV with an HDMI cable so that may be the way to go anyways.

Originally Posted by land burglar73507 View Post
    redownload it then see if I can edit it into smaller files.
    Handbrake is made for this. It will transcode video into newer mp4 or h.264 standards, saving a lot of space with little quality loss.

Also - if it's formatted as "FAT32" there is a 2GB file size limit

format it as NTFS instead

cool thanks nuked

Yeah Thx nuked I didn't know that either.

Originally Posted by Morningwood View Post
    Also - if it's formatted as "FAT32" there is a 2GB file size limit

format it as NTFS instead

This is the key to victory right here. And last I checked, NTFS had a 4gb limit per file. That may have changed by now...not sure. I think it's ridiculous for any format to have a limit, but Windows gives and Windows takes (translation: get a Mac).

Originally Posted by ltsooner View Post
    This is the key to victory right here. And last I checked, NTFS had a 4gb limit per file. That may have changed by now...not sure. I think it's ridiculous for any format to have a limit, but Windows gives and Windows takes (translation: get a Mac).
    NTFS does not have a 4GB file size limitation. Every file system has limits.. Most modern ones are gargantuanly large.

Re: Thumb drives

Originally Posted by ltsooner View Post

Format it with exFat. Seriously.