'13 C/G Heath Newland - Preferred Walk on

Posted 644 day(s) ago 3304 Views 27 Replies

Recruitment '13 C/G Heath Newland - Preferred Walk on

http://rivals.yahoo.com/marshall/foo...Newland-115051

6'2 285

Film:http://www.hudl.com/athlete/202520/highlights/2267383

RT @Jasonkersey: Edmond North o-lineman Heath Newland has accepted an preferred walk-on offer at OU, according to coach Jeremy Dombek #OKPreps #Sooners

jasonkersey: #Sooners co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel was at Edmond North today to present the offer, which Newland accepted #OKPreps
    3 users like usaosooner's post: jmizzy4ou, OU48A, VRO405

What is this... "preferred walk-on"? Like, "Hey... got no scholorship for ya... but if you come, whoo hoo!?"

Originally Posted by MadMex View Post
    What is this... "preferred walk-on"? Like, "Hey... got no scholorship for ya... but if you come, whoo hoo!?"
    "

Preferred Walk Ons have been scouted by the team and have been asked to join. They arent "worthy" of a offer yet but the coaches feel he can add value to the team dwn the line. Walk Ons are players who havent been scouted and only have a limited time usually during the late spring/early summer to get attention of the coaches to get a spot
    The following users like this post: MadMex

OU had 4 players who came to OU as walk-ons who started on the 2000 national championship team…
    This is good to see……Don’t underestimate their value.
    3 users like OU48A's post: Balko, BernieMadoff, jmizzy4ou

So preferred walk on means he has a spot on the team but no scholarship currently? Am I understanding this correctly?

It's like a gray shirt guys

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:21 AM.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:21 AM.

Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    Grey shirts are told they have a scholarship and will be counted in the following spring. Preferred walk ons aren't necessarily told they will get a scholarship.

Saban will greyshirt someone and tell them they have a scholarship in the spring, then tell them no dice if he finds someone better.
    I said it was like one
    The following users like this post: usaosooner

I like a guy that accepts the challenge as a walk on. Hopefully he proves to the coaches and his team that he deserves the scholarship. These are the type of kids that come in with something to prove and give 100% in practice. Someone with a scholarship could end up losing their spot if they start slacking off to a kid like this.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Maybe he's a player but needs to bulk up some and has wealthy parents?

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    Ding ding ding.

James Guest
    Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    so he's a tight end ?
    2 users like James's post: puzzled, soonerintn

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    OU had 4 players who came to OU as walk-ons who started on the 2000 national championship team…
    Very interesting info. Do you know who the four were? Was Bubba Burcham one?

YES! We now have ONE O/D-lineman for the class! Although not a scholarship player I think this is a step towards solving our recruiting problems!!

Kenny Mossman‏@Kenny_Mossman

Bob Stoops announced at tonight's banquet that Aaron Ripkowski will be in scholarship next year. #Sooners
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Need to submit this to urbandictionary.com

I know the kid. He is a DIE HARD Texas fan, no joke. It will be fun to see how this changes things for him.

Originally Posted by Vodnik View Post
    Kenny Mossman‏@Kenny_Mossman

Bob Stoops announced at tonight's banquet that Aaron Ripkowski will be in scholarship next year. #Sooners
    Lets put him on the OL.

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    I know the kid. He is a DIE HARD Texas fan, no joke. It will be fun to see how this changes things for him.
    So was Johnny Football.

Related to Scott Newland I wonder?

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Related to Scott Newland I wonder?
    Based on the picture of Heath on the Rivals site, you certainly may be right. BTW, Scott was one crazy dude while at OU. Seemed that he was in a fight just about every two weeks. I think he and Brent Burks (the left tackle on the o-line, as I recall) got into it off the field at least a couple of times. Although Scott was about 40 pounds lighter and a few inches shorter, I believe Newland roughed up Burks each time. Not sure what the issue between the two of them was, but it spilled over into off-the-field fights.

I saw that Scott lives in Midland, works for Baker Tools Inc. Probably not his son, but could be a relative.

Never knew about the beef with Burks, but yeah Scott was a tough guy. I'm not sure he ever played a down while at OU, other than kick coverage I think.

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    I saw that Scott lives in Midland, works for Baker Tools Inc. Probably not his son, but could be a relative.

Never knew about the beef with Burks, but yeah Scott was a tough guy. I'm not sure he ever played a down while at OU, other than kick coverage I think.
    I know he played on the kick-off squads, and I believe he occasionally played at the DE spot (behind Kevin Murphy, Troy Johnson and Darrell Reed?) when the outcome of a game was not in doubt.

Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
    Very interesting info. Do you know who the four were? Was Bubba Burcham one?
    I don’t remember who they were with certainty, but I believe Bubba Burcham, Roger Steffen and Corey Heineke + one more came to OU as Walk on’s. Some, if not all, were eventually put on scholarship.

This information appeared in a DOK article written by Barry Tramel about 5 years ago.

Also in the article Tramel wrote that there were 12 starters from Oklahoma on the 2000 Orange Bowl team and that it only had 4 from Texas.
    IMHO, while OU needs good recruits from Texas I don’t get upset when OU is not getting most of its roster from Texas…. because when OU has won national championships the roster has been comprised of at least 49% Oklahomans with Oklahoma’s often contributing at higher percentage rates.

When OU coaches have been preforming quality player evaluations during the recruiting process is when OU is at its very best.

http://m.newsok.com/oklahoma-footbal...s+%3E%3E+ou%29

he way Heath Newland sees it, there are two ways he could've reacted to Oklahoma's offer to make him a “preferred walk-on” in its 2013 recruiting class.

“You can take it as the school didn't want you, because they didn't respect you enough to give you a scholarship,” said Newland, a four-year starter on Edmond North's offensive line.

Or, you can look at it like you're borderline. They wanted you, they just couldn't give you a scholarship right now, so just go show them. Work hard every day.”

Newland chose the latter, accepting the “preferred walk-on” offer that Sooners co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel presented to him at school on Friday.

As for Newland, though, he'll do everything the regular 2013 recruits do, but without the scholarship — yet.

“I'm exactly the same,” Newland said. “I go on my official visit next month. I get the same packet that everybody gets. I'm on scout team just like the freshmen. I get a locker. I get a number. I'm on the team. I don't have to do tryouts. I'm on the same schedule. ... The whole shebang.”

Oologah senior lineman Sam Noble (6-5, 285) is considering a similar offer from Oklahoma.

Newland is currently No. 15 on The Oklahoman's Super 30 list of the state's top prospects. He played center for most of his career at Edmond North; injuries forced him to play some at guard and tackle during his senior season, though, when the Huskies finished 10-2 and reached the Class 6A quarterfinals.

“Apparently I was one of those borderline guys,” Newland said. “It's just the way the cards fell. It didn't go my way, but I'm still excited.”

This kid has the right attitude about the situation. He shows up and works hard, and he's gonna have a shot at playing by his 3rd year. We are upperclassmen heavy on the interior, and when all those guys graduate, he's gonna get a shot to compete.

He needs to be on time, work out hard, get good grades, stay healthy, and stay out of trouble. Formula for success at OU.