OU NFL Receivers

Posted 647 day(s) ago 1901 Views 32 Replies

OU NFL Receivers

Are there any other active OU NFL pure receivers outside of Gresham, Hanna, Broyles(injured reserve)? The group of Jones, Kelly, Clayton etc. all gone either cut or fallen to injuries.
    Any particular reason with all the passing of OU in recent history, we are not having a bigger impact in the NFL receiver-wise?

OU NFL Receivers

Average NFL career: 3 1/2 years.

Where's Iglesias?

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Average NFL career: 3 1/2 years.
    Unless you're a first rounder: 9 years.

I am assuming its got more to do with talent.

#notahomer

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Are there any other active OU NFL pure receivers outside of Gresham, Hanna, Broyles(injured reserve)? The group of Jones, Kelly, Clayton etc. all gone either cut or fallen to injuries.
    Any particular reason with all the passing of OU in recent history, we are not having a bigger impact in the NFL receiver-wise?
    Mark took this year off to concentrate on rehabbing his knee and will aim for a return next season. That's what I remember him saying a few months back when he was a guest on Tedy and Dusty's show. As far as the lack of success of OU WR's go, they didn't exactly have the greatest QB's to catch passes from and injuries have a little to do with it as well.

SoonerDan are you referring to the QBs in the NFL? Bardford has had the opposite problem, no receivers. The Rams let DeAngelo Alexander walk and he is having a good year with another team.

OU NFL Receivers

Originally Posted by URNotserious View Post
    Unless you're a first rounder: 9 years.

I am assuming its got more to do with talent.

#notahomer
    Didn't injuries shorten both Clayton and Kelly's career?

Originally Posted by vrortiz405 View Post
    Where's Iglesias?
    He is still getting an NFL paycheck...practice squad Texans.
    The following users like this post: VRO405

Also Eldridge was on the Bears roster until Cutler got hurt and they had to pick up McKown.

Is there any school that has a lot of receivers in the league? There's GT with Megatron and Demaryius Thomas. Miami still has a lot of those guys from the early 2000s too.

SoonerDan are you referring to the QBs in the NFL? Bardford has had the opposite problem, no receivers. The Rams let DeAngelo Alexander walk and he is having a good year with another team.
    I was mainly referencing the QB's Mark, Brandon, and Malcolm played with. Mark had Kyle Boller, an old Steve McNair, and Joe Flacco all in a 5 year span. Brandon had Radio with the Titans and Malcolm had Rex Grossman.....yeah.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Didn't injuries shorten both Clayton and Kelly's career?
    I am not sure, which is why I said I am assuming X.

At what point did DeAngelo Alexander ever step foot on a football field in college, much less the NFL?

Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    At what point did DeAngelo Alexander ever step foot on a football field in college, much less the NFL?
    LOL, De'Angelo Alexander's profile on SoonerSports...

High School:

A consensus top-50 national recruit ... Regarded as 33rd-best high school senior by analyst Clark Francis ... Rated as 19th-best high school senior in fall of 2001 by Bob Gibbons ... Averaged 25.3 points and 6.5 rebounds last year as a senior at Midwest City ... Named an EA Sports Roundball Classic All-American senior year ... Averaged 19.5 points, 7.1 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.9 steals as a junior in helping team to 26-2 record and Class 6A state title ... Shot .560 from field, .400 from three-point range and .700 from foul line junior campaign ... Also helped squad to 26-2 mark and state crown as a sophomore ... Coached as a senior year by Rodney Dindy and sophomore and junior years by Terry Evans.

Personal:

Full name is De'Angelo Lee Alexander ... Born Jan. 21, 1984, in Oklahoma City ... Parents are Steve and Denise Alexander ... Has two brothers and a sister ... Participated in the Global Games in Paris, France, over summer and was MVP in championship game ... Dunked in a game for first time in eighth grade ... Says he chose OU because of the coaching staff and proximity to family and friends ... Also considered attending Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland and North Carolina ... High school teammate Shelden Williams is a freshman at Duke ... Major is undecided.

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    LOL, De'Angelo Alexander's profile on SoonerSports...

High School:

A consensus top-50 national recruit ... Regarded as 33rd-best high school senior by analyst Clark Francis ... Rated as 19th-best high school senior in fall of 2001 by Bob Gibbons ... Averaged 25.3 points and 6.5 rebounds last year as a senior at Midwest City ... Named an EA Sports Roundball Classic All-American senior year ... Averaged 19.5 points, 7.1 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.9 steals as a junior in helping team to 26-2 record and Class 6A state title ... Shot .560 from field, .400 from three-point range and .700 from foul line junior campaign ... Also helped squad to 26-2 mark and state crown as a sophomore ... Coached as a senior year by Rodney Dindy and sophomore and junior years by Terry Evans.

Personal:

Full name is De'Angelo Lee Alexander ... Born Jan. 21, 1984, in Oklahoma City ... Parents are Steve and Denise Alexander ... Has two brothers and a sister ... Participated in the Global Games in Paris, France, over summer and was MVP in championship game ... Dunked in a game for first time in eighth grade ... Says he chose OU because of the coaching staff and proximity to family and friends ... Also considered attending Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland and North Carolina ... High school teammate Shelden Williams is a freshman at Duke ... Major is undecided.
    DeAngeolo Alexander played BASKETBALL at OU. 61 sooner was talking about Denario Alexander who played at Mizzou. Damn that was easy. I need to try trolling more often.

EDIT: Sublime if you caught my point, my bad. I have been drinking heavily for a while.

DeAngeolo Alexander played BASKETBALL at OU. 61 sooner was talking about Denario Alexander who played at Mizzou. Damn that was easy. I need to try trolling more often.
    The definition of trolling on Land Thieves is telling the truth.
    The following users like this post: OUrage

The definition of trolling on Land Thieves is telling the truth.
    Fair point.

EDIT: Sublime if you caught my point, my bad. I have been drinking heavily for a while.
    No hard feelings, I didn't take it as an attack at all.

No hard feelings, I didn't take it as an attack at all.
    Thanks

OU NFL Receivers

Malcolm was taken just a few picks after another highly touted NFL prospect receiver in Devin Thomas. Both of them withered in Washington.

Malcolm stayed hurt, every time he came back he got hurt again (knees). The team was upset with him because they couldnt find anything wrong, just him saying it hurt. Redskins got tired of it and cut him, he is now working in texas doing oil field work. I heard him tell one espn guy say that he would call him in a month and tell him the truth about what happened, refering to the organization doing him wrong. Mark Clayton couldnt get over the knee injury quick enough. Iglesias is no longer with any team, not even practice squad. Manuel Johnson was on the Cowboys team for 2 years, played well in preseason but was cut and never landed anywhere else. Mark Bradley was doing well then got hurt and was on several team rosters (tampa, N.O, K.C) for short periods of time but was done.
    Anyone know why Teddy Lehman didnt make it? He started his entire first season with the Lions and was 2nd on the team in tackles, then he was on IR the next year and it seems like his career was over. He went to the UFL for 2 years and tried out for the Bucs but didnt make the team, WHY?

OU NFL Receivers

Lehman just couldn't wrap anymore. He bounced off tackles with Tampa. I was excited about him coming there, but he just wasn't the same after his injury.

Originally Posted by soonerjunky View Post
    Anyone know why Teddy Lehman didnt make it? He started his entire first season with the Lions and was 2nd on the team in tackles, then he was on IR the next year and it seems like his career was over. He went to the UFL for 2 years and tried out for the Bucs but didnt make the team, WHY?
    Lisfranc

Discussed here - http://www.landthieves.com/board/sho...=Lehman+Injury

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    Malcolm was taken just a few picks after another highly touted NFL prospect receiver in Devin Thomas. Both of them withered in Washington.
    I had a bet with Andy Hart of Patriots Football Weekly, I said Kelly would do better than Sweed, they both tanked,
    The following users like this post: AcousticSoup

I don't really get worked up over if a kid is a bust or not. Somebody leaves OU and plays in the NFL regardless of how long or short they are there, to me that's a success. Who among us can say they actually achieved their life goal. For many of these guys playing in the NFL is a lifelong dream. They achieved it, and for whatever reason it didn't last but they still achieved something very few ever do. I say kudos to them

Wasn't knocking any of our former players. Just looking for current information. I'm appreciative for what all they achieved while at OU.

Our guys in the NFL are either:

A) Injured

or

B) About to get injured again

Didn't Travis Wilson play in the NFL for a while? Also, think I recall that Will Peoples played for the Bills, although not sure if he ever got on the field during a regular-season game.

Travis Wilson made he Browns for a while.

Josh Norman also had a stint with the Chargers.

Speaking of Sooners in the NFL, here's a cool chart that shows all NFL Players by School, Conference, Position and Round Drafted. Sooners currently rank 21st with 24 NFL Players.

http://www.profootballrosters.com/20...nes-by-school/

http://www.profootballrosters.com/20...rom-the-big12/

Originally Posted by Boomer1981 View Post
    Speaking of Sooners in the NFL, here's a cool chart that shows all NFL Players by School, Conference, Position and Round Drafted. Sooners currently rank 21st with 24 NFL Players.

http://www.profootballrosters.com/20...nes-by-school/

http://www.profootballrosters.com/20...rom-the-big12/
    Thanks for these charts. Notice that Texass has 42 players in the NFL yet, with all of that talent, they have won the Big XII conference championship only twice in fifteen years.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Travis Wilson made he Browns for a while.

Josh Norman also had a stint with the Chargers.
    yep and brandon jones played well enough in tennesse to get a 15 mil contract with the 49ers ... he then got hurt didn't play and eventually was cut ... but he made a bunch of money in the NFL

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    yep and brandon jones played well enough in tennesse to get a 15 mil contract with the 49ers ... he then got hurt didn't play and eventually was cut ... but he made a bunch of money in the NFL
    On February 28, 2009, he was signed by the San Francisco 49ers to a five-year, $16.5 million contract with $5.4 million in guaranteed money.
    On August 18, 2010, he was released by the 49ers.

Hope he invested it