Gun Laws

Posted 655 day(s) ago by Boognish69773 Views 3103 Replies
Results 651 to 700 of 3104
Page 14 of 63 4 12 13 14 15 16 24
  1. #651

  2. #652
    Dexa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,184
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Moore

    Gun Laws

    I'd like someone who has some knowledge in the subject to explain to me why media bobble heads keep saying these 'assault weapons' are only needed by Military and Law Enforcement include law enforcement at all. Clearly they think these weapons were designed for military offensive use. Why does a police officer need an 'assault weapon'?

  3. #653
    .
    The following users like this post: Gary Manilow

    Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 01:03 AM.

  4. #654
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,665
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Gun Laws

    Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    I'd like someone who has some knowledge in the subject to explain to me why media bobble heads keep saying these 'assault weapons' are only needed by Military and Law Enforcement include law enforcement at all. Clearly they think these weapons were designed for military offensive use. Why does a police officer need an 'assault weapon'?
    That's a tough balancing act. Militarization of police v. enabling the police to safely do their jobs.

  5. #655

  6. #656
    The logic behind the column is muddy, Firstly, you know where the author is going when the header picture is that of a funeral home in the background and children in the foreground. Second, any weapon is an assault weapon. To attach the moniker "assault" weapon to the AR-15 only is not fair and shows ignorance.

    Thirdly, the left has used the courts and politics to push their agenda for a long time. The tactics which the author objected to (inadvertently) have been used for a long time to pass all kinds of laws.

    In other words, the law of the Second Amendment is not settled; no law, not even the Constitution, ever is.
    This statement is true by a technicality, but in reality it's false. I invite the author to tell us how is he going to ban guns, and how is he going to collect the 300 million guns out there. I wonder if he thinks Roe v Wade is settled?

    I hope I am not the type of **** who would write a column like that. The type of **** that praises political tactics when it helps his causes, and condemns them when it doesn't.

  7. #657
    fdubzou's Avatar
    Posts
    7,650
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska

    Gun Laws

    Originally Posted by The View Post
    TSA supporters, I humbly present "The Fallacy of the Rock"

    A nice illustration of a fallacy from The Simpsons:
    After a single bear wandering into town has drawn an over-reaction from the residents of Springfield, Homer stands outside his house and muses, “Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol is working like a charm!”

    Lisa sees through his reasoning: “That’s specious reasoning, dad.” Homer, misunderstanding the word “specious”, thanks her for the compliment.

    Optimistically, she tries to explain the error in his argument: “By your logic, I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.” Homer is confused: “Hmm; how does it work?” Lisa: “It doesn’t work; it’s just a stupid rock!” Homer: “Uh-huh.” Lisa: “… but I don’t see any tigers around, do you?”

    Homer, after a moment’s thought: “Lisa, I want to buy your rock…”

    Correlation does not imply causation. Just because two things occur together, does not mean that one caused the other. Homer argues that as the Bear Patrol vans are correlated with an absence of bears, the former must have caused the latter. Lisa, tongue in cheek, argues that as the presence of her rock is correlated with an absence of tigers, the former must have caused the latter.

    At least Homer recognises that the two arguments are on a par, even if he fails to recognise that both are examples of the correlation not causation fallacy.



    TSA is "Security Theater" that is supposed to make us "feel" safer, while actually doing nothing at all. Except violating our rights and expanding the notion that it's OK to live in a Police State.
    We're here! We're queer! We don't want any more bears!

  8. #658
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,436
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    I'd like someone who has some knowledge in the subject to explain to me why media bobble heads keep saying these 'assault weapons' are only needed by Military and Law Enforcement include law enforcement at all. Clearly they think these weapons were designed for military offensive use. Why does a police officer need an 'assault weapon'?
    the north hollywood shootout really started it.

  9. #659
    Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    I'd like someone who has some knowledge in the subject to explain to me why media bobble heads keep saying these 'assault weapons' are only needed by Military and Law Enforcement include law enforcement at all. Clearly they think these weapons were designed for military offensive use. Why does a police officer need an 'assault weapon'?
    Can you give me a reason why law enforcement shouldn't have "assault weapons"? I don't see any reason why they shouldn't...

  10. #660
    Dexa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,184
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Moore

    Gun Laws

    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Can you give me a reason why law enforcement shouldn't have "assault weapons"? I don't see any reason why they shouldn't...
    Yeah, and it's the same reason I would need one. In case..
    2 users like Dexa's post: Fahooglegods, Sooner5030


  11. #661
    Sancho's Avatar
    Posts
    4,911
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Land of milk and honey

    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Can you give me a reason why law enforcement shouldn't have "assault weapons"? I don't see any reason why they shouldn't...
    NM.
    Last edited by Sancho; December 24th, 2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Poorly thought out response.

  12. #662
    Originally Posted by freeeewilly66 View Post
    Banning assault rifles won't necessarily prevent something like this from happening again. The Virginia Tech shooter had a Glock 19 and a Walther P22 and managed to kill 32 people and injure 23 people.

    Also, violence in movies and video games is not exclusively something found in America. 99.9% of people who watch violent movies don't shoot up their schools or workplaces.

    The issue isn't even necessarily treating mental illness itself, but how easy it is for a mentally ill person to gain access to deadly firearms. I don't think it's a terribly partisan thing to say that mentally unstable people shouldn't have guns. Unfortunately, there's not a foolproof way of ensuring this doesn't happen. There will ALWAYS be guns out there and even if you limit ownership to responsible people who pass strict background checks, their mentally disturbed relatives may just steal their gun from them anyway. How do you pass laws that say you can't store deadly firearms in easy to find places in your home?

    But why was James Holmes able to purchase weapons so easily? Cho Seunhg Hui at Va Tech?
    I disagree the problem is that we allow dangerous mentally ill people to blend in with society, to walk the streets, to live in the streets. These mentally ill people when diagnosed should be locked away from society. They should be kept in institutions under lock and key until the end of their lives. This has nothing to do with guns or video games or movies. This has to do with our acceptance of people who are dangerously mentally ill living amongst us. I know that this might sound harsh to some, but for the majority of human existence this has been the remedy to the problem of mentally ill people. It was not until the 1970's when it changed and we simply started to release these people into everyday society.

  13. #663
    Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    I'd like someone who has some knowledge in the subject to explain to me why media bobble heads keep saying these 'assault weapons' are only needed by Military and Law Enforcement include law enforcement at all. Clearly they think these weapons were designed for military offensive use. Why does a police officer need an 'assault weapon'?
    I can give you the exact reason that police officers need assault weapons. It started after this occurred http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout
    Now almost all police carry some type of semi-automatic weapon in their vehicles at all times. Before this incident they rarely carried nothing more than a handgun and a shotgun. It is simply a matter of being able to engage criminals with the same amount of firepower.
    The following users like this post: DHF


  14. #664
    SoonerLibertarian's Avatar
    Posts
    10,294
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
    I disagree the problem is that we allow dangerous mentally ill people to blend in with society, to walk the streets, to live in the streets. These mentally ill people when diagnosed should be locked away from society. They should be kept in institutions under lock and key until the end of their lives. This has nothing to do with guns or video games or movies. This has to do with our acceptance of people who are dangerously mentally ill living amongst us. I know that this might sound harsh to some, but for the majority of human existence this has been the remedy to the problem of mentally ill people. It was not until the 1970's when it changed and we simply started to release these people into everyday society.
    We do a lot to try and find the mentally ill and try and help them. But in the end it has to be up to the family and the people around those that are mentally ill that have to help them. We probably over diagnose things like mental illness and ADD/ADHD now though. As a society do you want to resort to what the ****'s did and separate full parts of the population because the might be mentally ill? You know how ridiculous that sounds?

  15. #665
    Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    We do a lot to try and find the mentally ill and try and help them. But in the end it has to be up to the family and the people around those that are mentally ill that have to help them. We probably over diagnose things like mental illness and ADD/ADHD now though. As a society do you want to resort to what the ****'s did and separate full parts of the population because the might be mentally ill? You know how ridiculous that sounds?
    Not really sure what you mean by trying to find the mentally ill, they are on the street corners of almost every major city, not too hard to find. Police encounter them on a daily basis, but due to the lack of funds to treat and house them they are just sent back out after their regular encouters with law enforcement. The families of the dangerously mental ill many times do not want to or can deal with these people. They have been abandoned to try and live a "normal life" however they do not know what normal is. Comparing taking dangerous mental patients off the streets to "what the ****'s did" is a pretty big jump. However, I guess if we are not willing to do this then we can look forward to the erosion of further civil liberties of all of U.S. society. Severe censorship of entertainment, and the elimination of the Second Amendment. Generally, just slipping into what the European Union is now.

  16. #666
    SoonerLibertarian's Avatar
    Posts
    10,294
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Re: Gun Laws

    For every mental head case that kills 26 kids due to a mental illness you have a ton more geniuses with schzophrenia or bi-polar disorder or other disabilities that you would rather have locked up.

  17. #667
    VUGear's Avatar
    Posts
    1,532
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
    Comparing taking dangerous mental patients off the streets to "what the ****'s did" is a pretty big jump. However, I guess if we are not willing to do this then we can look forward to the erosion of further civil liberties of all of U.S. society. Severe censorship of entertainment, and the elimination of the Second Amendment. Generally, just slipping into what the European Union is now.
    What entertainment do they censor in the EU?

  18. #668
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,665
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Can you give me a reason why law enforcement shouldn't have "assault weapons"? I don't see any reason why they shouldn't...
    The traditional argument against making our local police a paramilitary force is the protection of personal liberty from authority.

  19. #669
    Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    The traditional argument against making our local police a paramilitary force is the protection of personal liberty from authority.
    fascinating...
    on which side do you fall?

  20. #670
    Dexa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,184
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Moore

    Gun Laws

    Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
    It is simply a matter of being able to engage criminals with the same amount of firepower.
    So it seems like law-abiding citizens should have the same right.


    That or cops shouldn't bust down doors with AR-15s unless they know they will be met with something comparable.

  21. #671
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,665
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    fascinating...
    on which side do you fall?
    I tend to believe that our police shouldn't out-man the population. The N. Hollywood Shootout was pretty scary and all, but let's just have some National Guardsmen come out in that situation. I live in Norman now, and I don't like the idea of the NPD being able to control large portions of the population due to having advanced weaponry.

    (I know that sounds absurd and all, but I believe in decentralized power and I don't trust cops.)

  22. #672
    Doctors' kitchen knives ban call
    Knife

    Doctors say knives are too pointed
    A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.

  23. #673
    .
    Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 12:52 AM.

  24. #674
    Coach's Avatar
    Posts
    10,689
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Gun Laws

    Knives that can be opened by a mechanism are illegal to carry? Is that right. Kershaw has several knives that have a piece that sticks out the back of the knife that quickly opens the blade. You can it it on the bottom left of the bottom knife in this picture. These types are illegal to carry.


    Other knives that can be opened by something like a push button can not be carried on your person. Like this knife.

  25. #675
    Has anyone ever studied the incidence and frequency of minimal **** size in gun owners versus the normal population?

  26. #676
    Originally Posted by dainbramage View Post
    Has anyone ever studied the incidence and frequency of minimal **** size in gun owners versus the normal population?
    even if it's been done......you should replicate it.....it would be right up your alley...so to speak..

  27. #677
    Originally Posted by dainbramage View Post
    Has anyone ever studied the incidence and frequency of minimal **** size in gun owners versus the normal population?
    I am always packing a pair of 9's...one 9 mm and one 9 inch...

  28. #678
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,665
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    I am always packing a pair of 9's...one 9 mm and one 9 inch...
    We know which is which. :troll:
    The following users like this post: pbc2003


  29. #679
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,140
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Re: Gun Laws

    Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Knives that can be opened by a mechanism are illegal to carry? Is that right. Kershaw has several knives that have a piece that sticks out the back of the knife that quickly opens the blade. You can it it on the bottom left of the bottom knife in this picture. These types are illegal to carry.


    Other knives that can be opened by something like a push button can not be carried on your person. Like this knife.
    The only type of knife illegal in fl is a ballistic knife.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  30. #680
    bushmaster06's Avatar
    Posts
    24,436
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    balls deep

    Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Knives that can be opened by a mechanism are illegal to carry? Is that right. Kershaw has several knives that have a piece that sticks out the back of the knife that quickly opens the blade. You can it it on the bottom left of the bottom knife in this picture. These types are illegal to carry.
    i carry this knife every day.

  31. #681
    Coach's Avatar
    Posts
    10,689
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Gun Laws

    Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    i carry this knife every day.
    I got it for my BIL for Xmas. He's the one who told me the push buttons types were not legal to carry. He could be wrong but he's pretty educated on guns, knives etc.

  32. #682
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,140
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Re: Gun Laws

    Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    I got it for my BIL for Xmas. He's the one who told me the push buttons types were not legal to carry. He could be wrong but he's pretty educated on guns, knives etc.
    I glanced over yalls laws quickly and it appears he may be correct for non ccl holders.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  33. #683
    Bk2X's Avatar
    Posts
    2,425
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Goldsby

    Spring assisted is different than push button

  34. #684

  35. #685
    First step to confiscation:

    Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
    Background check of owner and any transferee;
    Type and serial number of the firearm;
    Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

  36. #686
    KCRuf/Nek's Avatar
    Posts
    39,353
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Prairie Village, Ks.

    Guess it's okay to joke about guns when you're the dumbass in chief.


    President Barack Obama revealed the 'real reason' he wanted a second term as president is because his daughter Malia, age 14, is about to start dating boys.

    'One of the main incentives of running was continued Secret Service protection so we can have men with guns around at all times,' the father of two joked
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module

  37. #687
    okie52's Avatar
    Posts
    7,478
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Edmond, OK

    Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    First step to confiscation:

    Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
    Background check of owner and any transferee;
    Type and serial number of the firearm;
    Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
    Saw that...looks like you can get your name in the paper

  38. #688
    ALERT: Legislation Details: Senate to Ban Hundreds of Semiautomatic Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Magazines; Includes Fingerprint Registration Requirement







    On another note: Legislation to be introduced to Congress, that requires any American over the age of 50 to be thrown into the Soylent Green Reconstitution Assemblage, so as to contribute to the feeding of the population.

  39. #689
    okie52's Avatar
    Posts
    7,478
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Edmond, OK

    [QUOTE=SoonerWalkon;1007335]ALERT: Legislation Details: Senate to Ban Hundreds of Semiautomatic Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Magazines; Includes Fingerprint Registration Requirement

    Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:

    120 specifically-named firearms
    Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
    Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds
    Guns with detachable clips???!!!!

  40. #690
    Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    I'm all for gun owners, but this is just a special kind of stupid.

    But I call dibs on a tank!!!!
    Actually, your post exhibits the lack of knowledge that you have about the 2nd amendment, the purpose of the 2nd amendment, and the fight to keep the 2nd amendment a pertinent right in the Bill of Rights. So, I would say, you are exhibiting a "special kind of ignorance". But you are not alone, as those that believe that government can fix everything also believe this.

  41. #691
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,665
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Originally Posted by SoonerWalkon View Post
    Actually, your post exhibits the lack of knowledge that you have about the 2nd amendment, the purpose of the 2nd amendment, and the fight to keep the 2nd amendment a pertinent right in the Bill of Rights. So, I would say, you are exhibiting a "special kind of ignorance". But you are not alone, as those that believe that government can fix everything also believe this.
    I was responding directly to that retarded blog post. Specifically:
    UPDATE: My libertarian friend David Sack sent me this:

    "Someone at the office asked me, yesterday, what type of “arms” I thought the Second Amendment protects. The answer to that is those arms of the same caliber and quantity as the armed federal officers who come to your door have."
    You couldn't BE more wrong about my vantage point. You are 100% incorrect, and it's so DELICIOUS because you're so whacked out you are convinced that whatever into your head must be true! It's pretty LOLcopter.

    Not that you're interested in listening to what ANYONE has to say, but I don't "believe that the government can fix everything". Good gosh, where on earth did you even GET that?! It's laughable. I'll tell you this, though, if people of the perception and intelligence that you employ are given arms of the same caliber and quantity as federal officers, I might actually become a raging liberal, begging for the federal government to take over and solve THAT problem.

    Read the ****ing thread.

  42. #692
    Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/20...n-gun-control/

    Best write up I have seen on the subject. Not sure if already posted.
    Very interesting and thorough.

  43. #693
    Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    First step to confiscation:

    Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
    Background check of owner and any transferee;
    Type and serial number of the firearm;
    Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
    You can bet its coming. A lot sooner than people think. The fact they are already regulating the guns we can and can't own is bullshit.

  44. #694
    .
    Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.

  45. #695
    OUMallen's Avatar
    Posts
    7,665
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    City of Nompton

    Originally Posted by soonerintn View Post
    No way that proposal gets thru congress.
    Yeah, that's a worst-case-scenario I can't imagine happening. But we need to be careful to see what those jackwagons DO get through. :/

  46. #696
    .
    Last edited by soonerintn; July 20th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.

  47. #697
    Britain is the most violent country in Europe, over 4x as many violent crimes as the US per 100,000.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...frica-U-S.html

  48. #698
    Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    Knives that can be opened by a mechanism are illegal to carry? Is that right. Kershaw has several knives that have a piece that sticks out the back of the knife that quickly opens the blade. You can it it on the bottom left of the bottom knife in this picture. These types are illegal to carry.


    Other knives that can be opened by something like a push button can not be carried on your person. Like this knife.

    Those aren't illegal to carry in Oklahoma (top knife). The Ken Onion designed Kershaws are not spring assisted. They have a "cam" in them that speeds the opening of the blade once the thumb stud is pushed forward. They are not considered "automatics" (ie pushbuttons, switchblades) that only require pressing a button. Automatics are illegal to carry unless you are law enforcement or active military. The Ken Onion Kershaws still require the user to push the blade open with a finger/thumb stud and are not illegal to carry. I've carried one for years and have even showed it to the po-po when I called the police because a dude was in our office after hours stealing laptops. I advised the cop that I was threatened and pulled it out in self defense. The cop then asked me to see it. He basically said "nice knife" and handed it back to me. The restrictions on pocket knives are the blade must be less than 4 inches and no automatics unless qualified (police or active military).
    The following users like this post: OUMallen


  49. #699
    Coach's Avatar
    Posts
    10,689
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Gun Laws

    Originally Posted by kingswitz View Post
    Those aren't illegal to carry in Oklahoma (top knife). The Ken Onion designed Kershaws are not spring assisted. They have a "cam" in them that speeds the opening of the blade once the thumb stud is pushed forward. They are not considered "automatics" (ie pushbuttons, switchblades) that only require pressing a button. Automatics are illegal to carry unless you are law enforcement or active military. The Ken Onion Kershaws still require the user to push the blade open with a finger/thumb stud and are not illegal to carry. I've carried one for years and have even showed it to the po-po when I called the police because a dude was in our office after hours stealing laptops. I advised the cop that I was threatened and pulled it out in self defense. The cop then asked me to see it. He basically said "nice knife" and handed it back to me. The restrictions on pocket knives are the blade must be less than 4 inches and no automatics unless qualified (police or active military).
    I wasn't saying the Kershaw was illegal.

  50. #700
    Fahooglegods's Avatar
    Posts
    5,140
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Right near da beach. Boy-eee!

    Re: Gun Laws

    Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    I wasn't saying the Kershaw was illegal.
    You said "these types of knives are illegal to carry" right below your description of the Kershaw in your quoted text.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    The following users like this post: kingswitz


Similar Threads

  1. No need for Voter ID laws?
    By kssooner in forum ThunderDome
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 25th, 2012, 07:44 AM
  2. Laws to abolish
    By Coach in forum ThunderDome
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: August 15th, 2012, 06:51 PM

Tags for this Thread