Gun Laws

Posted 495 day(s) ago by Boognish64427 Views 3079 Replies
Page 17 of 62 7 15 16 17 18 19 27
    vCash

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    The "Gun Show Loophole" is the same as the "Garage Sale Loophole", the "Yard Sale Loophole", the "Friend to Friend Loophole", the "Inheritance Loophole" and the "Common Sense Loophole."

I stole this from another site...thought it was good...
    Like I said above, I'm 100% pro-gun ownership up to, and including, semi-automatic assault-style weapons.

But if you can't tell the functional difference between a gun show and a friend-to-friend loophole, I doubt you can pass the standard old Oklahoma hunter safety course.

vCash

What is the gun show loophole?

vCash

What is the gun show loophole?
    Do you really not know? Hmm.

vCash

Tell me...I am clueless...

Re: Gun Laws

Sarcasm is rich in this thread.

vCash

The loophole is that anyone (felon,illegal,insane) can walk right into any gun show and buy as many guns as they want from any of the booths with no background checks. Right?
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

vCash

Tell me...I am clueless...
    Your words, not ours.

Here you go: http://bit.ly/VToOFn

vCash

I had already done that search...that is how I came up with the garage sale loophole bit...

vCash

Oh! Well good. You're all caught up, then.

vCash

If you buy from a licensed dealer at a gun show do they do a background check? And is this any different from when you buy from a licensed dealer outside a gun show?

If you buy from an individual at a gun show do they do a background check? And is this any different from when you buy from an individual outside a gun show?

I have never gone to a gun show so these are legitimate questions...

vCash

/puts tin foil hat on

Government buying millions of bullets for ridiculous agencies is starting to make sense.
    The following users like this post: bushmaster06

vCash

If you buy from a licensed dealer at a gun show they must do a background check just like if you purchased it from their business?

The loop hole they are talking about is that an individual can sale to other individual at a gun show with out a background check. Gun shows are where most of these types of transactions take place because there are a lot of gun people in a concentrated area, and if you want to sell a gun from your personal collection it's easy to do so. It really has nothing to do with the gun show, as these transactions could take place almost anywhere.

I'm going to sell one of my AR-15's this weekend. I will try to sell it at the gun show first before I use gun broker. I go a little above and beyond most people though. I will only sell to someone with a concealed carry license, that way I know they have had a background check in the last few years. As I have no way to run the background check myself. I could sell it to anyone with cash but I would rather know I have a good chance of not selling it to a nut job. My self imposed gun control.
    The following users like this post: Bk2X

vCash

Originally Posted by ImTheDude View Post
    The loophole is that anyone (felon,illegal,insane) can walk right into any gun show and buy as many guns as they want from any of the booths with no background checks. Right?
    Wrong, but I'm assuming you're trolling.

vCash

So there is no difference...

vCash

Originally Posted by JDShellnutt View Post
    Yes, it was sarcasm. That said, a lot of ignorant people believe that's what the gun show loop hole is.

So there is no difference...
    No difference in what?

vCash

If you buy from a licensed dealer at a gun show they must do a background check just like if you purchased it from their business?

The loop hole they are talking about is that an individual can sale to other individual at a gun show with out a background check. Gun shows are where most of these types of transactions take place because there are a lot of gun people in a concentrated area, and if you want to sell a gun from your personal collection it's easy to do so. It really has nothing to do with the gun show, as these transactions could take place almost anywhere.

I'm going to sell one of my AR-15's this weekend. I will try to sell it at the gun show first before I use gun broker. I go a little above and beyond most people though. I will only sell to someone with a concealed carry license, that way I know they have had a background check in the last few years. As I have no way to run the background check myself. I could sell it to anyone with cash but I would rather know I have a good chance of not selling it to a nut job. My self imposed gun control.
    Is there a limit on how many guns an individual can sell?

Also, yeah, that's the point: gun shows constitute a concentrated area where it's significantly easier for guns to be purchased, yet there are sellers there that are not subject to regulations that retailers are. It's a retail environment without the rules.

That's why it's a problem.

vCash

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no he's not.

Presently, 17 states regulate private firearm sales at gun shows. Seven states require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows (California, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Oregon, New York, Illinois and Colorado). Four states (Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) require background checks on all handgun, but not long gun, purchasers at gun shows. Six states require individuals to obtain a permit to purchase handguns that involves a background check (Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Iowa, Nebraska). Certain counties in Florida require background checks on all private sales of handguns at gun shows. The remaining 33 states do not restrict private, intrastate sales of firearms at gun shows in any manner.

vCash

Mallen, have you ever been to a gun show? 99% of the booths I've seen at the shows are FFL's. Any private seller table usually only has a few guns, usually collector type guns too.

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    Is there a limit on how many guns an individual can sell?

Also, yeah, that's the point: gun shows constitute a concentrated area where it's significantly easier for guns to be purchased, yet there are sellers there that are not subject to regulations that retailers are. It's a retail environment without the rules.

That's why it's a problem.
    Which gun shows have you been to?

So should we ban gun shows now?

vCash

Originally Posted by ImTheDude View Post
    Mallen, have you ever been to a gun show? 99% of the booths I've seen at the shows are FFL's. Any private seller table usually only has a few guns, usually collector type guns too.
    Yep.

vCash

Originally Posted by ArbySooner View Post
    Which gun shows have you been to?

So should we ban gun shows now?
    Nope.

But currently, felons can buy pistols in 33 states at a gun show while they can't at Dick's. That's a loophole. And it's a particularly alarming one to lots of people, myself included as an owner of multiple firearms.

Some other states require the same background checks they do in a brick-and-mortar, permanent retail environment. Doesn't sound like it's terribly hard.

You guys honest-to-goodness think that's all just hunky-dory, let's ignore it? Are you in favor of getting rid of background checks at retail stores?

My point is: there are idiots out there, and in this thread, that are so psycho about their beliefs that they try to argue that there is NO loophole, there's NO problem, and nothing to see here. That's kind of a ridiculous opinion ot have.

Nope.

But currently, felons can buy pistols in 33 states at a gun show while they can't at Dick's. That's a loophole. And it's a particularly alarming one to lots of people, myself included as an owner of multiple firearms.

Some other states require the same background checks they do in a brick-and-mortar, permanent retail environment. Doesn't sound like it's terribly hard.

You guys honest-to-goodness think that's all just hunky-dory, let's ignore it? Are you in favor of getting rid of background checks at retail stores?

My point is: there are idiots out there, and in this thread, that are so psycho about their beliefs that they try to argue that there is NO loophole, there's NO problem, and nothing to see here. That's kind of a ridiculous opinion ot have.
    If we shouldn't ban gun shows? How do we solve the "gun show loophole"?

What you're implying is the only private sales are at gun shows.

vCash

If we shouldn't ban gun shows? How do we solve the "gun show loophole"?

What you're implying is the only private sales are at gun shows.
    Have background checks at gun shows like they do at brick and mortar stores. It's 2013. We have the internet. Wouldn't be hard. Loophole closed. People stop ****ing. Easy peasy.

vCash

Or perhaps because there's a significant difference b/n private citizens selling a gun or 3 from time to time w/o background checks, and gun sellers whose intent it is to sell as many guns as possible w/o background checks.

The difference isn't hard to see, fellas.
    that's already illegal.

vCash

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    The private sale issue is simple. Require that all private sale transfers be done by someone with a FFL who will do the background check. Most FFL's already require a small transfer fee and they could charge the same fee handling a private sale transfer. I'm sure most FFLs would already do this for most private sales if they were asked to do so. Private sale and gun show loophole "problem" solved and most gun owners will not have a problem it, imo.
    how do you enforce that?

Have background checks at gun shows like they do at brick and mortar stores. It's 2013. We have the internet. Wouldn't be hard. Loophole closed. People stop ****ing. Easy peasy.
    Why stop at gun shows? Why not make it required for every private sale?

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Private sellers at gun shows? If that is even something that could happen . . .

That's my guess.
    happens many times at every gun show.

vCash

Nope.

they can also buy them by making a deal with anyone selling locally online, mainly set up through message boards. ban message boards!

vCash

Why stop at gun shows? Why not make it required for every private sale?
    not currently enforceable.

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    not currently enforceable.
    Sure it is. They could make it to if your gun is questioned legally, such as being involved in a crime, you better have proof of such.

vCash

Sure it is. They could make it to if your gun is questioned legally, such as being involved in a crime, you better have proof of such.
    i think that's how it is now. when i was a kid our house was broken into and the crooks made off with a couple pistols, one of which was used to shoot a cop. my dad got a phone call from the police telling him his gun was used in an officer-involved shooting. there was a police report made about the theft and he was in the clear.

vCash

Any gun dealer has to run a background check to sell a gun at a gun show, or anywhere else for that matter. If they don't they will loose their FFL license.
    A private gun owner can sell a personal gun to anyone. If you are selling to a known felon in an attempt to circumvent the background check system they will throw you under the jail. That's why I will only sell to a conceal carry permit holder. If they have a CC license I would be protected legally. Plus I wouldn't want to sell my gun to a crazy nut job, so it's a good self imposed policy. I've never sold a gun at a gun show but I know it goes on. It's perfectly legal currently. I wouldn't be opposed to being required to go through a FFL dealer to make a private sale as long as there isn't a ton of red tape and fees.

vCash

No difference in what?
    There is no difference in purchases of a gun at a gun show or a licensed dealer and no difference is purchasing a gun from a private individual at a gun show or the Wal Mart parking lot...

vCash

Any gun dealer has to run a background check to sell a gun at a gun show, or anywhere else for that matter. If they don't they will loose their FFL license.
    A private gun owner can sell a personal gun to anyone. If you are selling to a known felon in an attempt to circumvent the background check system they will throw you under the jail. That's why I will only sell to a conceal carry permit holder. If they have a CC license I would be protected legally. Plus I wouldn't want to sell my gun to a crazy nut job, so it's a good self imposed policy. I've never sold a gun at a gun show but I know it goes on. It's perfectly legal currently. I wouldn't be opposed to being required to go through a FFL dealer to make a private sale as long as there isn't a ton of red tape and fees.
    that won't stop criminals from getting guns.

There is no difference in purchases of a gun at a gun show or a licensed dealer and no difference is purchasing a gun from a private individual at a gun show or the Wal Mart parking lot...
    As far as the process (ex: background check), yes there is a difference.

vCash

So Uncle Joe says he's going to consult F%F Holder on these new gun laws. Will Holder use the same criteria he used when selling the guns to the cartels?

vCash

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    that won't stop criminals from getting guns.
    No, but it would make it a bit harder. I'm 99% against new gun laws. They should just enforce the current ones.
    I also think CC permit holders should get to bypass background checks for new gun purchases.
    I'm 110% against any kind of registry of current or new firearms.
    I'm against any kind of magazine capacity ban.
    I'm for anybody thats on social security mental disability that's drawing a check from the government should not be allowed to own a gun. If you're too crazy to get a job and function in normal society...NO GUN FOR YOU!!!
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob

vCash

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    So Uncle Joe says he's going to consult F%F Holder on these new gun laws. Will Holder use the same criteria he used when selling the guns to the cartels?
    So they'll be going over to Chicago and handing out M-16's to gang bangers??

they have background checks at gun shows....
    you're being dishonest..
    licensed dealers must do background checks at gun shows..
    private sellers are not required to do so....
    if you require private sellers at gun shows to do background checks before selling ......all they would have to do is walk outside or across the street and sell to anyone just like you or i could ....
    this would still not prevent mass shootings....but it would make dumbazzes feel better/safer until the next one....
    2 users like 87sooner's post: ArbySooner, ImTheDude

vCash

Nope.

But currently, felons can buy pistols in 33 states at a gun show while they can't at ****'s. That's a loophole. And it's a particularly alarming one to lots of people, myself included as an owner of multiple firearms.

I think the point might be that it is really a private seller loophole and NOT exclusively a gun show loophole . . . . that sounds like the main issue many are having with that particular comment.

Or maybe I'm totally off-base.
    The following users like this post: Dexa

vCash

No, but it would make it a bit harder. I'm 99% against new gun laws. They should just enforce the current ones.
    I also think CC permit holders should get to bypass background checks for new gun purchases.
    I'm 110% against any kind of registry of current or new firearms.
    I'm against any kind of magazine capacity ban.
    I'm for anybody thats on social security mental disability that's drawing a check from the government should not be allowed to own a gun. If you're too crazy to get a job and function in normal society...NO GUN FOR YOU!!!
    How often are the CC permits renewed? Annually? I think this bypass would be a very efficient way to expedite the purchase. They get yanked after any involvement in something that would prevent you from buying a gun anyway so opponents couldn't really use that as an argument IMO.

How often are the CC permits renewed? Annually? I think this bypass would be a very efficient way to expedite the purchase. They get yanked after any involvement in something that would prevent you from buying a gun anyway so opponents couldn't really use that as an argument IMO.
    mine is good for 10 years

vCash

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    mine is good for 10 years
    Is that the default or do you have to pay extra?

I really need to go get mine . . . .

vCash

Cost is $85 for a 5 year permit, $170 or a 10 year.
    The following users like this post: Sooner Bob

I think the point might be that it is really a private seller loophole and NOT exclusively a gun show loophole . . . . that sounds like the main issue many are having with that particular comment.

Or maybe I'm totally off-base.
    You are correct.

People who tout the "gun show loophole" are plain ignorant without question.

vCash

At the very least a CC permit holder shouldn't have to complete a new background check form for each gun . . . you should be able to purchase more than one gun/check. I was told that wasn't possible by the guys at Academy.
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

Damn I "liked" one of 87's posts! Lol

As long as the CC background check is at least minimum of the federal check then I'm good with the notion of CC permit holders don't need background checks for every gun purchase. I think the CC only checks OSBI, right?

vCash

As long as the CC background check is at least minimum of the federal check then I'm good with the notion of CC permit holders don't need background checks for every gun purchase. I think the CC only checks OSBI, right?
    I have a CCL and bought a gun last month here in Kansas and only had to fill out the transfer paperwork. They did not have to make the phone call since I had a CCL. The clerk told me that for all CCL holders who got or renewed their licenses after a certain date, they did not have to make the call. I was told the same thing earlier last year on another purchase. Which makes sense since those with a CCL have already gone through a background check.