Gun Laws

Posted 496 day(s) ago by Boognish64549 Views 3079 Replies
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 3080
Page 25 of 62 15 23 24 25 26 27 35
    vCash

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    16. Presents a pretty slippery slope and could be a huge problem. Neither my doctor nor my daughter's doctor needs to know if I have guns. And they have no business asking me about it.
    "16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes. "

How is that a slippery slope? Doctors aren't prohibited from asking you about your tax returns or your Meemaw's Cadillac, either. Non-issue.

vCash

Originally Posted by azwe View Post
    From what I understand, they're just putting them in dummy bottles on the shelf so they can track thieves.
    Yep. After actually getting past the headline that is the case. As I said before though, funny we thought that could have been true.

My Walgreens pharmacy got robbed the other night. The pharmacist on duty got a call from someone saying if he didn't put all the oxy in a bag he'd kill everyone in there. The pharmacist moved over into a corner and put his hand in his pocket. The caller told him to get his hand out of his pocket. He ended up putting all the bottle in a bag and some guy took them from the drive thru.

vCash

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Yep. After actually getting past the headline that is the case. As I said before though, funny we thought that could have been true.

My Walgreens pharmacy got robbed the other night. The pharmacist on duty got a call from someone saying if he didn't put all the oxy in a bag he'd kill everyone in there. The pharmacist moved over into a corner and put his hand in his pocket. The caller told him to get his hand out of his pocket. He ended up putting all the bottle in a bag and some guy took them from the drive thru.
    I bet that was pretty chilling for the pharmacist.

The call is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!

vCash

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    "16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes. "

How is that a slippery slope? Doctors aren't prohibited from asking you about your tax returns or your Meemaw's Cadillac, either. Non-issue.
    Asking about it isn't the problem. Trying to convince folks to answer for their own good with the intent of providing info to other groups without consent is an issue IMO.

vCash

I bet that was pretty chilling for the pharmacist.

The call is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!
    Have you checked the children lately?

vCash

Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    Mine too.. and I had no say in the matter. My mortgage was sold to them.
    Mine was sold to them too

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Asking about it isn't the problem. Trying to convince folks to answer for their own good with the intent of providing info to other groups without consent is an issue IMO.
    Doctors aren't required to ask. Doctors aren't required to report to anyone. If asking about guns in the house falls within the scope of medical assessment, it's probably a HIPAA violation for a doctor to share that information. Doctors were already allowed to ask about guns in the house. This is, literally, not a change in the law whatsoever.

Deep breaths everyone. Deep breaths.

vCash

Doctors aren't required to report to anyone.
    Not yet . . .

vCash

Dog and pony show time . . .

WASHINGTON — Three days after six teachers and 20 students were killed by a rampaging gunman at a Connecticut elementary school, an 8-year-old Maryland boy pulled out a sheet of paper and wrote President Barack Obama, asking for “some changes in the laws with guns.”

“It’s a free country but I recommend there needs (to) be a limit with guns,” Grant Fritz said in the Dec. 17 letter. “Please don’t let people own machine guns or other powerful guns like that.”

vCash

Can someone please explain why everyone is freaking out? Bush passes the patriot act infringing on privacy and he's awesome. Obama wants better background checks for people buying guns and he's the devil? I'm very middle of the road and can honestly say I didn't vote for either so don't make any assumptions. I'm just really looking for rational people to explain the problems. Is it what these orders might be interpreted as?
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Don't you remember San Fran Nan with the group of kids and the little black kid at BHO's elbow for the BHOCare ceremony? He's got the best of both worlds. All the "letter writers" as well as all the dead kids. It's a win win.

vCash

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    Can someone please explain why everyone is freaking out? Bush passes the patriot act infringing on privacy and he's awesome. Obama wants better background checks for people buying guns and he's the devil? I'm very middle of the road and can honestly say I didn't vote for either so don't make any assumptions. I'm just really looking for rational people to explain the problems. Is it what these orders might be interpreted as?
    This. The Patriot Act is far more egregious than the piddling gun restrictions being proposed.

vCash

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    I don't think anyone is "freaking out" over background checks. I think the general sentiment here is that many of the listed items will be a money sink not accomplishing anything.. and most of the freak out is that he wants to push an assault weapons ban and magazine limit through congress.

Oh.. and Bush was terrible and the patriot act is insane.

vCash

Re: Gun Laws

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post

That is creepy as ****. Hope that never happens to me.

Re: Gun Laws

Originally Posted by azwe View Post
    That is creepy as ****. Hope that never happens to me.

Well I think it's unlikely that they'll strike another Walgreens, so you should be fine.

vCash

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    That is my problem with the whole deal..

I don't have a problem with background checks on private sales...but the shooter didn't own the guns...

I don't have a problem with limited magazine capacity...but the shooter changed mags several times anyway...with no one else in possession of a weapon the mag size means little....

"Assault" rifle bans? Hell, less than 350 are killed by any type rifle in a normal year...

We will have all kinds of crap crammed down our throats and we will still have mass shootings then what are they going to attempt to cram down our throat?

All I own is shotguns and one rifle...
    I agree with all of this!! Less than 350 people were killed by a rifle last year. While 1700 people were killed by knives last year! I just dont get why people think rifles are the problem. During the last "assault rifle bans" over 17,000 people were killed a year by guns. Last year, over 8000.

vCash

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    The free market. Aren't banks allowed to deal with whoever they want?

I closed my bank account with BOA when they crashed the economy and then asked for help from their buddies on Capital Hill and switched to USAA.
    *Capitol

Originally Posted by Lake_Bum View Post
    I agree with all of this!! Less than 350 people were killed by a rifle last year. While 1700 people were killed by knives last year! I just dont get why people think rifles are the problem. During the last "assault rifle bans" over 17,000 people were killed a year by guns. Last year, over 8000.
    We're a sound bite society. ARs are scary looking. Why would anyone need anything in their house that's this scary looking??? Why oh why oh why??

No. That's just a political talking point. I suppose they could have been more diplomatic and just referenced the school by name an dnot have named specific kids that go there.

What I don't get is: OK, so you limit clips to 10 rounds. I used to have, before I sold them to someone I can't remember now 3 15-round clips for my Glock.

Is that now illegal to possess/own? Illegal to sell them?
    Ex post facto still can't be done by the Congress. I don't know how XOs count.

vCash

Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    I don't think anyone is "freaking out" over background checks. I think the general sentiment here is that many of the listed items will be a money sink not accomplishing anything.. and most of the freak out is that he wants to push an assault weapons ban and magazine limit through congress.

Exactly . . .

vCash
    In a Shoe with sooo man children...what to do?

Doctors aren't required to ask. Doctors aren't required to report to anyone. If asking about guns in the house falls within the scope of medical assessment, it's probably a HIPAA violation for a doctor to share that information. Doctors were already allowed to ask about guns in the house. This is, literally, not a change in the law whatsoever.

that is the exact reason that it is stupid for it to be included on this list and require the cost of even one of the stupid pen's that was required to sign one letter of his dumb name!
    2 users like nekkedJ_bird's post: DRminimega67, OUMallen

vCash

No. That's just a political talking point. I suppose they could have been more diplomatic and just referenced the school by name an dnot have named specific kids that go there.

What I don't get is: OK, so you limit clips to 10 rounds. I used to have, before I sold them to someone I can't remember now 3 15-round clips for my Glock.

Is that now illegal to possess/own? Illegal to sell them?
    Don't know yet. Feinstein's bill, I believe, would make any bans retroactive. I don't see anyway that will happen but that won't stop people like her trying to make criminals out of us for owning a scary looking gun and a magazine she doesn't like.

vCash

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

as someone said earlier. The devil is in the details.

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

vCash

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

as someone said earlier. The devil is in the details.
    That has to do with states. The other has to do with doctors. Two different things. And again, the laws literally aren't chaning! Doctors can ALREADY ASK THESE THINGS.

LOUD NOISES!

vCash

Doctors can ALREADY ASK THESE THINGS.

That really wasn't my complaint or the point of any of my posts about this . . . my point is that I think there could be some doctors using this as leverage against patients. I want unbiased care based on my medical condition.

vCash

This video is very surprising . . . Denny's kicks out gun-toting cops . . .

vCash

Like others on here I contacted Senator Coburn about this issue . . . part of his response is below.

There are many factors which should be examined carefully when considering preventive measures to ensure similar situations do not occur again. While a firearm was used to execute this heinous act, focusing on the weapon alone overlooks other key facts including the mental health of the killer. As a physician, I believe our nation could do more to ensure those with mental illnesses that are a threat to themselves and others have access to treatment and are prevented from accessing firearms. To this end, officials at every level of government must examine our laws and policies aimed at ensuring those who are prohibited from attaining firearms, including the seriously mentally ill, are identified and prevented from accessing firearms. Currently, persons who have been adjudicated as a “mental defective” are supposed to be included in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Index, which is used by firearm sellers to determine whether a prospective buyer is eligible to purchase firearms. In 2007, Congress passed the NICS Improvement Amendments Act (P.L. 110-180) which established incentives for state, local, and tribal governments to increase the compliance of states reporting seriously mentally ill persons to the NICS system. However, a July 2012 Government Accountability Office (GAO) study found that these incentives have not been implemented, and the law has not achieved the intended purpose of improving the reporting rates of mental health records by states. As of October 2011, only 12 states had made substantial improvement in reporting, while almost half of the states, including Oklahoma, had barely made any progress in this area.[1] While states have primacy in passing laws and establishing policies on how to submit records to the NICS index, Congress should review, and amend if necessary, the recently passed NICS Improvement Act to ensure that it achieves it intended purpose of properly identifying and preventing access to firearms for those who are prohibited from it.
    Improving the information exchange would be a great place to start IMO.

vCash

That has to do with states. The other has to do with doctors. Two different things. And again, the laws literally aren't chaning! Doctors can ALREADY ASK THESE THINGS.

LOUD NOISES!
    You're right they can ask these things but they can't document the answers. But this what Obama wants to remove so that doctors can ask and then document who owns guns.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...e-legislation/

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...+Government%29

When Obama signed his 23 Executive Orders this morning, #16 was to clarify that Obamacare "does not prohibit doctors [from] asking patients about guns in their homes." Yet it must be understood that even if they ask these questions, they can't compile their answers into a list which they then pass on to the government.
    This prohibition comes courtesy of Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV).
    When Obamacare was being debated in the Senate in 2010, Reid inserted an amendment that forbids the government from using doctors to compile information for a gun registry.
    In fact, the amendment makes it clear that Obamacare cannot be construed to authorize doctors to collect "information relating to the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition."
    Therefore, even if doctors take today's 16th Executive Order to heart and ask their patients about guns, the answers cannot be used to form some type of gun registry database.

vCash

So...in the Affordable Healthcare Act doctors can ask about guns in home but can't document the fact...to help control gun violence the new gun EO wants doctors to ask about guns in the household but can't document the fact that the question was asked or answered...

Quality shit here...two big thumbs up!
    2 users like pphilfran's post: bushmaster06, Tundra

vCash

So...in the Affordable Healthcare Act doctors can ask about guns in home but can't document the fact...to help control gun violence the new gun EO wants doctors to ask about guns in the household but can't document the fact that the question was asked or answered...

Quality shit here...two big thumbs up!
    Sounds like our state agencies, hospitals and schools with illegals.

vCash

You're right they can ask these things but they can't document the answers. But this what Obama wants to remove so that doctors can ask and then document who owns guns.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...e-legislation/
    hahahah, OK, so, the federal government is going to enlist doctors...medical doctors....to create a gun registry?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Have you MET any doctors? Most simply won't do this. Most won't answer the doctor's question. Most don't go to the doctor hardly ever. Even if the WORST case happens, and doctors somehow feel obligated not only to ask this medically irrelevant question, but also to document it, and then report it to the federal government, you still don't have to answer.

I mean, come on guys.

vCash

Gun Laws

hahahah, OK, so, the federal government is going to enlist doctors...medical doctors....to create a gun registry?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Have you MET any doctors? Most simply won't do this. Most won't answer the doctor's question. Most don't go to the doctor hardly ever. Even if the WORST case happens, and doctors somehow feel obligated not only to ask this medically irrelevant question, but also to document it, and then report it to the federal government, you still don't have to answer.

I mean, come on guys.
    You seem to believe that none of this can happen. Did you also think that nobody could ever fly planes into our buildings, that our government would never do something like the patriot act, the NDAA, build server farms to store everything possible about us?

vCash

I mean, come on guys.
    Why even make it a bullet point? 22 wasn't enough? (bullet point is probably unacceptable... MS Powerpoint will need an immediate update)

The following users like this post: oucub23

Last edited by soonerintn; July 19th, 2013 at 08:08 PM.

vCash

Gun Laws

Also Mallen, why does the CDC need to study gun violence? Last time i checked a gun was not a disease. Seems like an opportunity to declare guns a public health hazard.

Could you see a point in the future that our government declares a gun a public health hazard and further restricts our ability to buy guns and/or keep guns if we have kids in our home?

vCash

It is a gun pandemic....

vCash

Gun Laws

It is a gun pandemic....
    Would not be surprised to see that used.

vCash

Also Mallen, why does the CDC need to study gun violence? Last time i checked a gun was not a disease. Seems like an opportunity to declare guns a public health hazard.

Could you see a point in the future that our government declares a gun a public health hazard and further restricts our ability to buy guns and/or keep guns if we have kids in our home?
    It has to start somewhere. Like in boxing. Short jabs that seemingly do no harm but they add up and make it easier to deliver the deciding blow.

Funny. If the CDC wants to study something how about the disease holding the gun?

The CDC is going to study the effect of violence in media on shooters isn't it?

vCash

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    We're a sound bite society. ARs are scary looking. Why would anyone need anything in their house that's this scary looking??? Why oh why oh why??
    Funny...this is also the reason most people actually buy hem...

vCash

I mean, come on guys.
    I think that part of the point is that he is using an EO to specifically remove limits that he didn't want placed into the law. From what I understand, the prohibition from collecting and disclosing information about gun ownership was not in the proposed law and BO didn't want it there. Now he is just EOing that part away. Which is not OK.

The second point is not about right now. Piss too many people off by going from "you can't collect/disclose" straight to "you must". Baby steps, first you make it ok do do it but not manditory, then you make it mandatory a year later or whatever.

Personally I dont think the EOs amount to much if they dont get new law through the congress. And I dont think they are going to get more than universal background checks through. The 94 gun ban is probably helping right now, because the gun grabbers can't even look at that time and say "look how well it worked!"

vCash

Gun Laws

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    The CDC is going to study the effect of violence in media on shooters isn't it?
    Logic would say yes. Since logic doesn't exist in Washington, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

vCash

Socialist gradualism they attack the right and depict its supporters as evil until they curtail and eliminate the right.

vCash

Gun Laws

Yeah! DHS is getting involved in gun control.

DHS to 'Expand and Formalize Coordination' on Gun Control Efforts

Janet Napolitano, head of the Department of Homeland Security, released a statement Wednesday saying she is "proud to support" the Obama administration's efforts to "combat gun violence in our country." Here's more from Napolitano's statement:

In the aftermath of the tragic Newtown shooting, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), together with the Department of Justice (DOJ), and the FBI have worked to identify measures that could be taken to reduce the risk of mass casualty shootings. In the coming days, DHS will expand and formalize coordination of ongoing efforts intended to prevent future mass casualty shootings, improve preparedness, and to strengthen security and resilience in schools and other potential targets. DHS will work with partners at all levels of government, to address five critical areas intended to reduce the risk of mass casualty shootings in the United States: Prevention, Protection, Response, Education, and Research/Evaluation. DHS will also work with law enforcement to refresh, expand and prioritize the implementation of nationwide public awareness efforts such as the “If You See Something, Say Something™” campaign. This is a critical issue that requires immediate attention and I look forward to supporting the President and this Administration as we move ahead.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ts_696127.html

vCash

Gun Laws

HURT: Gun edicts put personal liberty under fire

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/20...ty-under-fire/

vCash

To be honest they are doing the right thing by going after the "problem" in multiple paths....

If I were to have to control a quality or waste problem in a manufacturing facility I would take a bunch of different angles...production, QA, training, enginieering, and IT would all be involved and would have specific tasks and duties...Obama is actually doing the right thing...

vCash

"Problem"

vCash

Gun Laws

To be honest they are doing the right thing by going after the "problem" in multiple paths....

If I were to have to control a quality or waste problem in a manufacturing facility I would take a bunch of different angles...production, QA, training, enginieering, IT....would all be involved and would have specific tasks and duties...Obama is actually doing the right thing...
    Knee jerk reactions to restrict our rights isn't the right thing to do. Blaming and banning a gun and a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds isn't the right thing to do. Using kids for props and fear mongering to further an agenda isn't the right thing to do.

Will some of the others things help, maybe but how much our liberties will we have to surrender in the process?
    The following users like this post: Lake_Bum