Best Bowl Performance during the Stoops era

Posted 613 day(s) ago 1080 Views 17 Replies

Stoops Best Bowl Performance during the Stoops era

Hybls Rose Bowl has to be at the top right?

Discuss
    The following users like this post: boomersooner53

Even though it was a shit game, Roy Williams Cotton Bowl 2001.

The entire defense in 2000
    2 users like SoonerLibertarian's post: BoulderSooner, madillsoonerfan5353

Landry (& consequently, Broyles) vs. Stanford in the Sun Bowl:

Jones- 418 yds., 3 TD's, no picks

Broyles- 13 rec. for 156 yds., & 3 TD's.

The reason I give this a slight edge over their combined performances vs. UConn in the Fiesta (where both of their yardage totals were slightly higher) is that DeMarco had a 100 yard game vs. the Huskies to take a bit of the heat off LJ & co., while, due to the ridiculous turnover on the '09 OL thanks to all those injuries, the running game was pretty much an afterthought that year.

Landry had at least 1 int vs Stanford. It set up their first score I believe. Regardless, he played a great game.

2000 BSC Championship. Completely shutting out the high powered FSU offense was simply genius game planning.
    4 users like OUrage's post: ltsooner, OU812, R3D Mamba, SnakeDoctor

We lost the game, but Derrick Strait was a ****ing maniac in the 04 Sugar Bowl.
    The following users like this post: Boomersoonr7xchamps

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    We lost the game, but Derrick Strait was a ****ing maniac in the 04 Sugar Bowl.
    And the same can be said about Gresham in the 09 Orange.
    2 users like mgsooner's post: Boomersoonr7xchamps, madillsoonerfan5353

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Landry had at least 1 int vs Stanford. It set up their first score I believe. Regardless, he played a great game.
    you're right, my mistake. I was looking at the sack column, not the picks.

2001 orange bowl then 2003 rose bowl

Originally Posted by Schooner9 View Post
    2001 orange bowl then 2003 rose bowl
    This. That Rose Bowl win was quite impressive, and it was a feel-good story for Nate after all the shit he endured.
    The following users like this post: palisooner

For a loss, I would vote 2008 vs UF. Was a great game. I left very proud of our "average" defense and our offense sans Murray.

The defense in the 2001 Orange Bowl. Particularly Ontae Jones and Rocky Calmus.
    The following users like this post: Bob Swilkinson

Best Bowl Performance during the Stoops era

2007 Fiesta Boise St.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by OU Pepperoni View Post
    For a loss, I would vote 2008 vs UF. Was a great game. I left very proud of our "average" defense and our offense sans Murray.
    I thought the defense played fine the first half, holding Florida to 7 points but our offensive game plan and the one/two punch of Tebow and Harvin took it’s toll on the defense in the second half.

I was very disappointed in the offense (offensive game plan) which averaged 52 points a game going into the NCG. We averaged 42 rushing attempts a game in 2008 but only ran the ball 27 times against Florida, even though Brown had 5 ypc (110 yds) against Florida‘s defense. The failure of the OL at the goal line in the first half caused our coaching staff to panic and turn us into a one dimensional offense which Florida had no problem stopping in the second half. We ended the first half with 10 straight pass plays and an Interception. Bradford threw two INTs against Florida. Florida, on the otherhand ran the ball 41 times and pounded our defense into submission.

Had we handed the ball to the first back though the line, Matt Clapp walks into the EZ untouched but both plays were so slow in developing that Brown was tackled before he could even take the handoff when the right side of the OL whiffed on their blocks

My prediction for the game was Oklahoma 42 - Florida 21 (most people thought this would be a blowout). Florida got their points but our high scoring offense failed to get even 1/3 of theirs. Texas fans were pissed that we got in ahead of them but they should’ve been more pissed at Florida. Oklahoma was the #1 team in the country. The computers had Texas #2 but the Harris poll had Florida #1 and both human polls had Texas #3. We probably lose the rematch with Texas too though. We probably would’ve run the ball less than we did against Florida since we only ran the ball 22 times against them the first time.

Yep, one helluva game. Glad to say I was there, except for the whole loss thing, but able to say I saw one historical college FB game !

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    2007 Fiesta Boise St.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, one helluva game. Glad to say I was there, except for the whole loss thing, but able to say I saw one historical college FB game !

Jones. Ontei Jones.