Stadium Beer Debate

Posted 591 day(s) ago 4828 Views 79 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Stadium Beer Debate

Beer and wine sales topped $907,000 in their first season at the on-campus University of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium, with beer sales trouncing earlier projections, yet university officials say the trouble some feared never materialized.

Sales at the Gophers' seven home football games averaged $129,610, the Minnesota Daily reported this week ( http://bit.ly/UGHgzg).

Associate Athletics Director Scott Ellison said the university sold between 12,000 and 13,000 cups of beer at each game — far more than initial projections of 7,000.

Profits from alcohol sales will go to the athletics department. Ellison said university officials are still tallying up the expenses and should have the final numbers within the next few weeks.

http://www.startribune.com/local/183357331.html?refer=y
    2 users like OUQuakers's post: Sooner2012, The

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

Minnesota takes in 900k off of beer sales

Ou would at least triple that
    2 users like SoonerBounce's post: Irish_Sooner, Sooners2007

vCash

Still don't understand the need for intoxicants to enjoy a football game...

That said, OU will never do this as evidenced by their strict student code.

vCash

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    wut?

vCash

I'd think it's more about generating extra revenue for the athletic department than "need for intoxicants to enjoy the game"

vCash

Originally Posted by 2SBTM View Post
    I'd think it's more about generating extra revenue for the athletic department than "need for intoxicants to enjoy the game"
    wat
    4 users like The's post: cbsooner, lauderdaleOU, Turk, URNotserious

vCash

I agree…. as long as Boren is OU‘s president there will never be beer sales at home OU games.

Besides it's extremely easy to buy a beer outside the stadium!

vCash

Originally Posted by The View Post
    wut?
    Seriously.

I think I am just a deviant in that aspect (and many others)

I have driven a car all kinds of ****ed up when I was in college (been clean for 5 years now) but I never got ****ed up, save once, on any of the multitude of substances I partook in regularly, on a game day (afterward...hell yeah). The one time I did was OU texas my junior year, I smoked a j before the game, because I had been suspended from the NEKS for, you guessed it, smoking j's. it was weird, as I just felt really detached from the experience (could have something to do with being in the stands instead of on the field)..both Ricky Williams and De'Mond Parker ran wild that day.

(ironically, they were probably both stoned to the bejeezus)

vCash

Seriously.

I have driven a car all kinds of ****ed up when I was in college (been clean for 5 years now) but I never got ****ed up, save once, on any of the multitude of substances I partook in regularly, on a game day (afterward...hell yeah). The one time I did was OU texas my junior year, I smoked a j before the game, because I had been suspended from the NEKS for, you guessed it, smoking j's. it was weird, as I just felt really detached from the experience (could have something to do with being in the stands instead of on the field)..both Ricky Williams and De'Mond Parker ran wild that day.

I was at that game!

Oh, wait... actually I wasn't.... I got ****ed out of my mind the night before and lost my ticket. I still went to Dallas with some frat brothers who were going, and ended up getting blazed and watching the game with some really nice, upstanding folk that lived next to the Cotton Bowl.

Seriously.

I couldn't watch a game stoned either. I watch them after/while drinking all the time.

vCash

they sell beer in my section at the OU games ... 125 ... you have access the the bars and food stands inside. its nice to throw back a few during the games.

Originally Posted by The View Post
    wut?

This guy hasnt watched an OU football game lately......

vCash

The OU athletic department wipes its ass with 900K.

vCash

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    The OU athletic department wipes its ass with 900K.
    Wonder what kind of d-linemen could we get for $900K? <calling Darth Saban>

vCash

Imagine the profit on a 'weed' bar. It will happen. Unfortunately. Will there be 'weed smoking' sections?

vCash

If done responsibly, what's the problem?

vCash

Originally Posted by nlight1 View Post
    No problem...just seems to take away from the experience(for me).

I get pretty in depth when I'm watching a game...looking at stunts and twists, checking protection schemes, paying attention to who is winded, etc.

Being buzzed makes the game less enjoyable for me...I already admitted that I'm probably in the minority.

vCash

I get pretty in depth when I'm watching a game...looking at stunts and twists, checking protection schemes, paying attention to who is winded, etc.

Being buzzed makes the game less enjoyable for me...I already admitted that I'm probably in the minority.
    then don't drink...

I don't drink but when I did, I have to watch games sober. When drinking or smoking I would miss plays and would not remember the good moments. I did drink at SDSU game and glad I did.

vCash

You remind me of my brother. I completely understand.

Originally Posted by nlight1 View Post
    95% would do it responsibly. Its the other 5% that would cause issues

I'd drink if I had to watch a Minnesota Gophers game.
    2 users like Rocko's post: Acedawg98, Julz

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

That's what DVr is for!
    2 users like SoonerBounce's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, oorah_okie

OU would never accept the filthy profits of encouraged vice! For shame you vile hedonists and sots!

So... you can have all the suds & booze you want delivered to you in your private suites, but the smelly
    folks are not permitted to leave the Gaylord Stadium to get a beer at O'Connells, oh, wait that's been
    bulldozed. Y'all just go down at halftime & get your $2 bottle of water & shut the F-up! There's
    no beer allowed on campus... unless of course you've got BIG bucks! Don't get me wrong, I want the
    super donors to enjoy ****tails & horse-dew-vers! All I want is a little beer foam on my lip!

vCash

Originally Posted by Chieftain66 View Post
    So... you can have all the suds & booze you want delivered to you in your private suites, but the smelly
    folks are not permitted to leave the Gaylord Stadium to get a beer at O'Connells, oh, wait that's been
    bulldozed. Y'all just go down at halftime & get your $2 bottle of water & shut the F-up! There's
    no beer allowed on campus... unless of course you've got BIG bucks! Don't get me wrong, I want the
    super donors to enjoy ****tails & horse-dew-vers! All I want is a little beer foam on my lip!
    actually there just regular seating sections 124-135 (maybe) ... but its nice to be able to go inside where they sell food, beer, some tvs up for all those sections to enjoy.

vCash

The University of Minnesota lost almost $16,000 last year on alcohol sales at football games, despite selling more than $900,000 worth of beer and wine.

The school released the figures to The Associated Press after a records request.

The university reported incurring significant expenses from selling alcohol. Those include hiring additional police and security officers, setting up tents and other facilities, and equipment rental.

About half of the $900,000 generated by alcohol sales went directly to Philadelphia-based Aramark Corp., which had the contract to sell beer and wine. University officials say it was never the intent that the school turn a profit on alcohol sales. They expect a small profit this year, since about $30,000 of the 2012 expenses were one-time.

A state lawmaker has a bill to also allow the school to also sell alcohol at basketball and hockey games.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/articl...-alcohol-sales
    The following users like this post: Mephistopheles

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    The University of Minnesota lost almost $16,000 last year on alcohol sales at football games, despite selling more than $900,000 worth of beer and wine.

The school released the figures to The Associated Press after a records request.

The university reported incurring significant expenses from selling alcohol. Those include hiring additional police and security officers, setting up tents and other facilities, and equipment rental.

About half of the $900,000 generated by alcohol sales went directly to Philadelphia-based Aramark Corp., which had the contract to sell beer and wine. University officials say it was never the intent that the school turn a profit on alcohol sales. They expect a small profit this year, since about $30,000 of the 2012 expenses were one-time.

A state lawmaker has a bill to also allow the school to also sell alcohol at basketball and hockey games.

How the **** do you lose money selling 50 cent bud lights for $8.00 a piece.
    4 users like sperry's post: Chieftain66, DirtySouth_Sooner, OUMallen, usaosooner

vCash

I see your point, but I take issue with calling what Minnesota does "football."
    I live 8 minutes by bike from the stadium and went to every home game (except when in conflict with Sooner games) and only bought tickets on the the way in. Those five games only cost me about $20 total, and that includes Michigan. It's a complete joke. I used to go to Northeastern State games fairly regularly and they would have beaten Minnesota 4 out of 5 times. (Though I suppose this says something about the state of Texas Tech, and, by extension, that of the Big XII at large) that they barely squeked by these yahoos in their bowl. But I digress.
    When your team has no idea how to play football, I think that intoxicants are probably the best (only?) way to get enjoyment out of the game.
    2 users like Nordeast_Sooner's post: pphilfran, SpankyNek

Last edited by Nordeast_Sooner; March 20th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.

vCash

Just what we need, a bunch a drunks on the highways after the game. OU is a strict religious state, how could the good folks in Oklahoma condone such sinning at a sports event. Blasphemy.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Just what we need, a bunch a drunks on the highways after the game. OU is a strict religious state, how could the good folks in Oklahoma condone such sinning at a sports event. Blasphemy.
    trying too hard

Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    How the **** do you lose money selling 50 cent bud lights for $8.00 a piece.
    Bad contract with Aramark and assigning too much overhead to the beer sales.

vCash

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post

need to call Bar Rescue ... that dude will straighten their shit out.
    2 users like DirtySouth_Sooner's post: OUMallen, Vodnik

vCash

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    need to call Bar Rescue ... that dude will straighten their shit out.
    Jon Taffer is the man!
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

vCash

you can buy and drink beer in the stadium currently.

vCash

Originally Posted by bJ0 View Post
    you can buy and drink beer in the stadium currently.
    club level only.

vCash

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    club level only.
    You get what you pay for.

Even if the get contract reworked & figure their overhead costs better, are they going to make enough for it to be worthwhile for them & other schools to mess with?

TurboTap

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    actually there just regular seating sections 124-135 (maybe) ... but its nice to be able to go inside where they sell food, beer, some tvs up for all those sections to enjoy.
    Hmmm. . .going to put my name in the hat when I decide to renew. What is your donation requirement and ticket price? Oh, has nothing to do with beer.

Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Even if the get contract reworked & figure their overhead costs better, are they going to make enough for it to be worthwhile for them & other schools to mess with?
    Why are we looking at Minny as an example? Why not look at every NFL stadium beer sales? If it wasn't profitable, people wouldn't do it.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Why are we looking at Minny as an example? Why not look at every NFL stadium beer sales? If it wasn't profitable, people wouldn't do it.
    Precisely. If it didn't make money, organizations wouldn't do it.

Not to mention the revenue if they could get a beer sponsor, except that might be a long stretch.

vCash

The article clearly states that they expected profitability next year, as the first year required startup fees for licensure and infrastructure.

Hmmm. I wonder what the beer sales cannibalized.

I am not opposed to beer sales. But Minnesota actually lost money on beer.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...cohol-stadiums

vCash

Originally Posted by soonerfan1379 View Post
    I am not opposed to beer sales. But Minnesota actually lost money on beer.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...cohol-stadiums
    You should read the thread before posting in it.

My best friend used to drop acid and go to OU games. I think OU should sell LSD instead of beer. 85,000 people tripping balls.
    The following users like this post: The

Lets party ****es!!