White Christmas?

Posted 638 day(s) ago 13935 Views 261 Replies
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3

White Christmas?

Been looking through some different weather sites today and it looks like we have a chance at a white Christmas this year! I've seen some places post that it may be as much as 8-10 inches... I will not get my hopes up though.

White Christmas?

Saw a thing this evening where they were saying blizzard like conditions. I've also been around long enough to know that snow is really hard for them to get correct AND it's still a week away, so by then it could be 80 degrees.

Sent from my so called smart phone using Tapatalk.

White Christmas?

The following users like this post: Wailer

I sure as **** hope not. Talk about ****ing up a lot of people's holiday travel plans and preventing them from getting to see their families. A "white Christmas" is tremendously overrated, especially when we're talking about more than just a dusting. **** snow.
    6 users like mgsooner's post: burnsyo, CookiePuss, NAMLOOT, ngintunr, soonerbornsoonerbrett, The

Originally Posted by Wailer View Post
    Saw a thing this evening where they were saying blizzard like conditions. I've also been around long enough to know that snow is really hard for them to get correct AND it's still a week away, so by then it could be 80 degrees.

Yeah, pretty much the way I feel about it too. I will start taking it more serious probably Sunday.

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    I sure as **** hope not. Talk about ****ing up a lot of people's holiday travel plans and preventing them from getting to see their families. A "white Christmas" is tremendously overrated, especially when we're talking about more than just a dusting. **** snow.
    Getting snow a few days before Christmas is the ideal situation when it comes to travel plans and still getting a white Christmas. It sure sucks when you get a ton of snow on Christmas eve or Christmas day.
    The following users like this post: CookiePuss

Originally Posted by drspencer View Post
    Been looking through some different weather sites today and it looks like we have a chance at a white Christmas this year! I've seen some places post that it may be as much as 8-10 inches... I will not get my hopes up though.
    Hmmmmmm
    6 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: brokebacksooner, DHF, jdmt37, Julz, Teo9969, WFSooner

White Christmas?

I hope it happens, even if we can't travel. The kids love it.
    The following users like this post: OrangeBlossom

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Hmmmmmm
    Teed that one up nicely....
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Teed that one up nicely....
    As Der Bingo used to say..."Straight down the middle......"
    The following users like this post: drspencer

what year was it you all had that nasty blizzard? Must have been 3-4 years ago, I seem to recall it started on Christmas Eve.
    3 users like willie's post: Bob Loblaw, CookiePuss, McRib

Originally Posted by willie View Post
    what year was it you all had that nasty blizzard? Must have been 3-4 years ago, I seem to recall it started on Christmas Eve.
    It was 2009.
    And as blizzards go it wasn’t anywhere near as bad some can be.

We really could use the moisture of a heavy wet snow.
    The drought is going to make it harder to rain or snow.
    That throws another factor into the upcoming forecast.

James Guest
    yeah I spent that Christmas eve stuck in a hotel while stranded in Yukon

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    It was 2009.
    And as blizzards go it wasn’t anywhere near as bad some can be.

We really could use the moisture of a heavy wet snow.
    The drought is going to make it harder to rain or snow.
    That throws another factor into the upcoming forecast.
    It was still about as bad as I can remember in Oklahoma. The wind was bad, the snow was about 10 inches deep. I don't remember seeing 10 inches of snow in the previous 20 years of my life in Oklahoma. The worst I remember was one when I lived in eastern Oklahoma going to school at the time so it was probably in January where we had an ice event that basically shut down a bunch of eastern Oklahoma for weeks.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    It was still about as bad as I can remember in Oklahoma. The wind was bad, the snow was about 10 inches deep. I don't remember seeing 10 inches of snow in the previous 20 years of my life in Oklahoma. The worst I remember was one when I lived in eastern Oklahoma going to school at the time so it was probably in January where we had an ice event that basically shut down a bunch of eastern Oklahoma for weeks.
    I have seen snow drifted up over houses, up to the highline wires and trains getting stuck in western Kansas.
    It’s many times worse on the high plains than the OKC area.
    While rare 30+ inch snows have happened in Oklahoma.

White Christmas?

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    This.

In SW Red River area, it was apocalyptic. Road crews were badly unprepared and they had to import trucks in from Amarillo.

It also doesn't help that everyone turns into complete idiots and forgets how to drive when it's icy.
    The following users like this post: Bob Loblaw

Left work in Bricktown around 11:30, got to my house in Yukon at 4. It was clear for half my drive home, too. That was insane.

We're driving quite a bit on Christmas day and we have family flying in that night, so I sure hope the ice stays away. I'm fine with snow, but keep the ice away. I want this flight to land on time and safely.

If this snow does materialize let’s hope OKC city, state of OK and others do a much better job than they did in 2009 of clearing the streets and towing off vehicles that were left in the middle of the interstates.
    I believe OKC has some additional equipment. Let’s hope they have enough staff this time.

Their poor response had to have cost the area many millions of dollars in lost commerce.

My brother in law is coming on Sunday. It better not snow. I want that guy outta here Christmas Day.

Had ENOUGH of a White Christmas when that Storm hit in 2009. Turned OKC side streets into parking lots.
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneOklahoma

White Christmas?

I sure hope not. I had to spend Christmas Eve in a church in Cisco, Texas last time it snowed on Christmas. I was lucky to get off the highway period. Otherwise I would've been in my car for two days. After seeing all those devastated families in the church that night, I swore to not wish for that shit again.

That could really **** up our travel plans to Midland and Austin the week after Christmas.

Originally Posted by James View Post
    yeah I spent that Christmas eve stuck in a hotel while stranded in Yukon
    Spent it stranded in Norman. Had left Tulsa trying to beat it to my parent's house. Thankfully my awesome wife drives a 95 Ford Bronco and kept it on the road somehow. That was the worst conditions I've ever seen. Like mgsooner said... **** snow.

White Christmas?

Just read where they're saying it's shaping up like the one in 2009. I'm supposed to drive to Tulsa Christmas day, so I hope they're wrong. We sure could use the moisture though.

White Christmas?

Best Christmas I ever had was when we got snowed in and didn't have to spend the day on the road seeing extended family!!
    3 users like SixBean's post: soonerpie, Wailer, WFSooner

LET IT SNOW!
    The following users like this post: OrangeBlossom

Bring the snow...no ice!

Yes, people drive so stupid in this mess. I'm planning on taking off that week, so I won't have to worry about other's dumb actions on the roads.

I hope it snows three feet or at least enough to keep my mother in law from getting to my house
    The following users like this post: IndySooner

i'll believe it when i see it...
    we're in the middle of a brutal drought...
    haven't had that kind of moisture at one time since may 1st...
    the weather people desperately need a boost in ratings
    The following users like this post: Bk2X

The Mayans disagree with this forecast.

4 users like mexican/ninja's post: KCRuf/Nek, OnlyOneOklahoma, sooner59, Wailer

The forecast models have been throwing out substantial snow amounts for most of northern and central Oklahoma the day after Christmas. Cold air is going to be there, no doubt. Placement and amount of moisture seems to change run by run

These same models also have been known to , so we'll see and know more by the end of the week.

Originally Posted by SoonerAmongThePack View Post
    The forecast models have been throwing out substantial snow amounts for most of northern and central Oklahoma the day after Christmas. Cold air is going to be there, no doubt. Placement and amount of moisture seems to change run by run

These same models also have been known to , so we'll see and know more by the end of the week.
    thanks for the knowledge. They are also saying another system around New Years as well.
    The following users like this post: SoonerAmongThePack

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i'll believe it when i see it...
    we're in the middle of a brutal drought...
    haven't had that kind of moisture at one time since may 1st...
    the weather people desperately need a boost in ratings
    I jokingly told my wife last night that I didn't trust the weathermen and I wouldn't believe we were getting a lot of snow unless it was in the "Farmers Almanac". I opened mine up and Holy shit if it's not right there on the page that mid to late December we are supposed to get a ton of snow.

White Christmas?

Question for SATP, how low do soil temps need to be for snow to stick around for more than 48 hours? We have a whooping two consecutive days in Oklahoma where it didn't get above freezing, so I doubt the snow would be around for long.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Question for SATP, how low do soil temps need to be for snow to stick around for more than 48 hours? We have a whooping two consecutive days in Oklahoma where it didn't get above freezing, so I doubt the snow would be around for long.
    Depends on the type of soil, but generally you need it below freezing for at least a few weeks to get substantial resistance to melting. Current temp averages are mostly in the 40s, so there will be melting but not incredibly fast. The deep cold air coming in with this system will also help to keep it around for a bit.

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

In my neighborhood, every Christmas is a White Christmas....
    5 users like SoCaliSooner's post: Bk2X, Clark W. Griswold, Sooner Bob, Teo9969, The

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    In my neighborhood, every Christmas is a White Christmas....
    Me, too.

Just saw where their confidence in large amounts of snow is increasing

Re: White Christmas?

**** thus cruel world. Gonna be pissed if I don't see my family for Christmas

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post

prolly God's plan to keep your dumbazz away from your poor family
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    prolly God's plan to keep your dumbazz away from your poor family
    The good lord works in mysterious ways and for OOO this is another way to see the light.

This holiday is culturally biased. Why don't anybody want a black Christmas?

the national weather service has issued a special weather statement.
    http://www.weather.com/weather/alert...=KOUN&etn=0000
    3 users like bushmaster06's post: drspencer, OU48A, Wailer

We got some but it will probably melt...!!!

This topic is racist.
    2 users like freeeewilly66's post: drspencer, WFSooner

Is this stuff similar to the sand I have out back?
    The following users like this post: drspencer

I assume that you can't leave early to visit family?

I assume that you can't leave early to visit family?
    Going to anadarko to see the wife's family. Flying the day after Xmas to see mine.

Going to anadarko to see the wife's family. Flying the day after Xmas to see mine.
    I see. Well that suck then.

I see. Well that suck then.
    That's marriage. Thanks though

The following users like this post: IndySooner

The European model (ECMWF) has backed off substantially on the post-Christmas snow event for the first time. The American global model (GFS) has the same solution. These graphs are from the American GFS model. The Euro (ECMWF) is often perceived to be a bit better, but we'll need to see if it switches back over on the next run.

The Post-Christmas Totals (Snow depth in inches).

The New Year's Snow event on the backside, even farther out, adds more snow totals across the state.